HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Boucher solid for the Phantoms

Old
10-18-2007, 11:53 AM
CantSeeColors

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
The Flyers do not, but Comcast Spectacor does... which is what I was pointing out. The Flyers "not owning" Boucher's right is a mere legalese technicality. Holmgren signed him to be the Flyers third goalie, as well as to give Boucher a chance to work himself back into the good graces of the NHL... there's a two-way thing going on there. Ultimately the parties responsible for any decision regarding Boucher are the same exact person and, in fact, the people making that decision work out of Holmgren's office in the Wachovia Center...

Do the Flyers own his rights? No. However, the company that owns the Flyers does. Thus, it's very unlikely, in my mind, that they would release Boucher to go play for another club when the entire purpose of signing him in the first place was as an emergency goalie for the Flyers.

The good news is that in the event of emergency (Biron blowing out his knee), Boucher would not have to go through waivers because he wouldn't be getting recalled. Following the contract getting signed he would have to go through waivers, however.
My understanding of it is that the Phantoms (or Comcast Spectacor or whoever is making the decision) don't get to pick and choose which NHL team he goes to. If Boucher decides to sign with another NHL team, he could be held with the Phantoms, but if the Flyers then need him he'd still be signed with the other team. Of course, there's probably an understanding between the parties about what their plans are in case certain things happen, but the technicalities would limit the things they could do.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 12:05 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
My understanding of it is that the Phantoms (or Comcast Spectacor or whoever is making the decision) don't get to pick and choose which NHL team he goes to. If Boucher decides to sign with another NHL team, he could be held with the Phantoms, but if the Flyers then need him he'd still be signed with the other team. Of course, there's probably an understanding between the parties about what their plans are in case certain things happen, but the technicalities would limit the things they could do.
The "Phantoms" would have to agree to let him out of his contract... which they likely won't do. Thus a team isn't going to sign him.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 12:14 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
The "Phantoms" would have to agree to let him out of his contract... which they likely won't do. Thus a team isn't going to sign him.
Jester is correct in that the Phantoms would have to let him out of his contract.

I would disagree in that I believe that the organization would allow him to leave if an NHL opportunity arose. It wouldn't shock me in the least if the two parties have an agreement in place that if an opportunity comes up that the organization would let him go.

Last edited by pelts35.com: 10-18-2007 at 12:21 PM.
pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 12:28 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Jester is correct in that the Phantoms would have to let him out of his contract.

I would disagree in that I believe that the organization would allow him to leave if an NHL opportunity arose. It wouldn't shock me in the least if the two parties have an agreement in place that if an opportunity comes up that the organization would let him go.
that would defeat the very purpose of signing him in the first place. it's nice to think that the world is full of altruistic intentions, but Boucher was signed as a contingency plan for the Flyers... having an agreement to release him if someone comes calling nullifies that, cuz he wouldn't be there in the event of an emergency.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 12:33 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
that would defeat the very purpose of signing him in the first place. it's nice to think that the world is full of altruistic intentions, but Boucher was signed as a contingency plan for the Flyers... having an agreement to release him if someone comes calling nullifies that, cuz he wouldn't be there in the event of an emergency.
Both sides had reason to "partner" with each other . The Flyers want the possibility of him being an emergency goalie. Boucher wants to get back into the NHL.

We can agree to disagree on this one as I believe that an unwritten agreement exists between the two parties.

We will just have to wait and see what happens if an NHL goalie goes down with a major injury. I'm sure that it won't be a secret if Boucher's services are sought.

Old
10-18-2007, 12:35 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1412
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Both sides had reason to "partner" with each other . The Flyers want the possibility of him being an emergency goalie. Boucher wants to get back into the NHL.

We can agree to disagree on this one as I believe that an unwritten agreement exists between the two parties.

We will just have to wait and see what happens if an NHL goalie goes down with a major injury. I'm sure that it won't be a secret if Boucher's services are sought.
Any idea what is up with CuJo?

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 12:38 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Any idea what is up with CuJo?
Retired I would imagine. That said if someone wanted to sign him to an NHL contract I would think he would come back.

Old
10-19-2007, 01:35 PM
pelts35.com

Just as a follow-up to the Ouellet saga, the ECHL opening night rosters were released and Ouellet is not on the Utah Grizzlies roster.

Old
10-21-2007, 08:48 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1412
If anyone is interested, vote for the Phantoms (currently vs. the Pens) in a logo contest (same site the Flyers finished second overall to Montreal):

http://hockeylogos.blogspot.com/

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote