HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Vokoun

Old
10-04-2007, 08:39 PM
PANTHERS OWN YOU*

vCash: 500
Vokoun

Oh god tell me the man gets these annual early season hicups? He is just dreadful out there right now. 5-2... only 1 goal was legit. PLEASE tell me some good news Pred fans! For the record, Vokoun cant skate can he?

PANTHERS OWN YOU* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2007, 08:43 PM
Paincakes

He was the same way this time last year I believe.

I don't think I would worry.

Paincakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2007, 08:53 PM
predhead1

Quote:
Originally Posted by YearOftheRAT View Post
Oh god tell me the man gets these annual early season hicups? He is just dreadful out there right now. 5-2... only 1 goal was legit. PLEASE tell me some good news Pred fans! For the record, Vokoun cant skate can he?
Vokoun will make 5 absolutely mindblowing saves and then give up a softie - he's always been that way. If the opponent gets to him early, it seems to pull him off his game a bit, but if he gets into a good rhythm, he's a wall. He also seems to play better when he's facing a lot of shots.

predhead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2007, 09:38 PM
jstreet

vCash: 50
I wouldnt worry yet. As long as he snaps out of it soon the team will be able to ride his hot streak.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2007, 09:44 PM
PANTHERS OWN YOU*

Quote:
Originally Posted by predhead1 View Post
Vokoun will make 5 absolutely mindblowing saves and then give up a softie - he's always been that way. If the opponent gets to him early, it seems to pull him off his game a bit, but if he gets into a good rhythm, he's a wall. He also seems to play better when he's facing a lot of shots.
I guess what you pointed out about the shots... it was 21-8 shots Florida going into the 3rd, then he let up 4 goals. Hopefully we didnt ruin his career, like we do to numerous other goaltenders.

Old
10-04-2007, 09:47 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

To be fair the Rangers lulled him to slepp before they E X P L O D E D

That game turned real quick.

Druuuuury

10-04-2007, 09:48 PM
Mr. Penguin

vCash: 100
Calm down. Vokoun is a TOP 10 goalie in the NHL. Every goalie has a bad game every now and then. You'll be fine, Florida fans.

Mr. Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2007, 10:12 PM
PANTHERS OWN YOU*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleandshoot View Post
To be fair the Rangers lulled him to slepp before they E X P L O D E D

That game turned real quick.

Druuuuury
Refrence to the 9 shots in 2 periods, then 16 shots in the 3rd lol.

Old
10-04-2007, 10:16 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
I'd like to make no comment ... but I'd also like to show you this piece of youtube video ...

In other words, he really likes to overplay the puck

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2007, 10:34 PM
Jarnberg

He'll be fine.While I didn't get to see the game and cannot comment on his play, I do know that you guys were playing a pretty explosive team.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2007, 07:39 AM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
I'm sure Vokoun will be fine in the long run, but at times he can be downright frustrating to watch!

crossxcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2007, 09:18 AM
handtrick

I just watched the video highlights of the game.

You will see this scenario played out many times over the course of the year.

Vokoun will be a wall, then he lets in a goal that he shouldn't.....he loses focus, and it is followed by another quick goal totally changing the momentum of the game.

In the post game interview, he will wear his emotions on his sleeve...take his share of the responsiblity and usually bounces back well for the next game.

He will tend to overplay pucks, flopping out of position....like that 2nd goal.....then pucks will just get through him....usually due to the loss of focus. If he gets by the first 3-4 minutes after a soft goal, he can regroup....but if the 2nd goal goes in, the walls come crashing down fairly frequently.

Tomas has always had the reputation of being mentally tough....but that is usually the way he bounces back after poor games...not particularly intragame, when things go wrong.
That being said, his enviroment is key to his mental outlook. If the fans and press start doubting him publically, it will weigh on him adversely. Also whether he is over his bitterness about being abruptly traded out of Nashville will be a factor. Another factor will be the continual comparison to Luongo's exploits in Florida.

The biggest factor, however, will be the loss of mentorship from his long-time goalie coach, Mitch Korn. I truly believe, much of what Tomas has been able to achieve, directly is a result of Korn's influence on him. He was key to his mental harmony as well as his technical maturation as a goalie. We can say the same thing, currently about Chris Mason and Korn's influence on him.

All-in-all.....I think there are many minefields to Vokoun having the year in Florida that most Panther fans are expecting from him. I really hope he can rise to the occasion......last night is not the best way to start that journey, however.

handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2007, 09:19 AM
jstreet

I just watched the highlights, yikes. A couple of those were pretty soft indeed. I wouldnt fault him on the one that picked the spot right over his shoulder, that was a great shot.

He just gets rattled easy sometimes it seems.

Old
10-05-2007, 09:20 AM
jstreet

Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick View Post
I just watched the video highlights of the game.

You will see this scenario played out many times over the course of the year.

Vokoun will be a wall, then he lets in a goal that he shouldn't.....he loses focus, and it is followed by another quick goal totally changing the momentum of the game.

In the post game interview, he will wear his emotions on his sleeve...take his share of the responsiblity and usually bounces back well for the next game.

He will tend to overplay pucks, flopping out of position....like that 2nd goal.....then pucks will just get through him....usually due to the loss of focus. If he gets by the first 3-4 minutes after a soft goal, he can regroup....but if the 2nd goal goes in, the walls come crashing down fairly frequently.

Tomas has always had the reputation of being mentally tough....but that is usually the way he bounces back after poor games...not particularly intragame, when things go wrong.
That being said, his enviroment is key to his mental outlook. If the fans and press start doubting him publically, it will weigh on him adversely. Also whether he is over his bitterness about being abruptly traded out of Nashville will be a factor. Another factor will be the continual comparison to Luongo's exploits in Florida.

The biggest factor, however, will be the loss of mentorship from his long-time goalie coach, Mitch Korn. I truly believe, much of what Tomas has been able to achieve, directly is a result of Korn's influence on him. He was key to his mental harmony as well as his technical maturation as a goalie. We can say the same thing, currently about Chris Mason and Korn's influence on him.

All-in-all.....I think there are many minefields to Vokoun having the year in Florida that most Panther fans are expecting from him. I really hope he can rise to the occasion......last night is not the best way to start that journey, however.
very well said

Old
10-05-2007, 10:04 AM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
Panthers fans...welcome to having Vokoun as your goalie. Enjoy the rollercoaster, because when it's at the top of a hill it's thrilling, but sometimes coming down can make you sick.

crossxcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2007, 10:53 AM
RaiderDoug

FWIW, we lost 8-6 against Chicago with Vokoun in net last year on opening night, giving up a bunch of late goals against the Hawks.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2007, 11:41 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
To be fair, the Cats' defense hung him out to dry on three of the goals. The first goal he probably could have stopped and he certainly should have stopped Prucha's game-tying goal.

10-05-2007, 01:04 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
yeah last year his GA for his first few games was 7,6 and then 1,1 and 0. should be fine.

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2007, 01:51 PM
braindead

Probably fine. Probably ok. Probably shouldn't worry.... but.... I will say that I had a sinking feeling throughout much of last year that he had lost his mojo. He had flashes, particularly right before the thumb injury but he was not the TV we were used to watching. It is possible that the wheel could fall off for him, particularly on the mental side of the equation. I hope not as I love him and what he did for us but after last year you have to worry a bit.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2007, 02:24 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

He definitely has a tendency to let in softies and to overplay the puck, but he also has the ability to be absolutely unbeatable.

10-05-2007, 03:34 PM
PANTHERS OWN YOU*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
To be fair, the Cats' defense hung him out to dry on three of the goals. The first goal he probably could have stopped and he certainly should have stopped Prucha's game-tying goal.
Straka's goal was imbarrassing. He slipped.

Anyways, our D showed impressive play in the 1st and 2nd... then they collapsed.

Old
10-05-2007, 03:45 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
I watched the game. As everyone said, it was vintage Vokoun. All the Panthers fans down here have been saying how great they'll be this year because they have a franchise goalie back. Unfortunately, while Vokoun can be great, he can also be bad. He played well for the Preds over the past few seasons. Not great, not bad, just well.

He's now playing for a team with a fair bit less talent. And I think you'll see a fair bit less productive goalie. I'm not sure he'll be all that better than the Eagle. Probably around the same. Some days better, some days worse. If the Panthers are going to make the playoffs, they are going to have to play better as a team.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2007, 04:45 PM
Lola
Future Panthers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause View Post
I watched the game. As everyone said, it was vintage Vokoun. All the Panthers fans down here have been saying how great they'll be this year because they have a franchise goalie back. Unfortunately, while Vokoun can be great, he can also be bad. He played well for the Preds over the past few seasons. Not great, not bad, just well.

He's now playing for a team with a fair bit less talent. And I think you'll see a fair bit less productive goalie. I'm not sure he'll be all that better than the Eagle. Probably around the same. Some days better, some days worse. If the Panthers are going to make the playoffs, they are going to have to play better as a team.
First, thanks to all of you for your honest responses. I agree with the bolded part of this post. The entire team collapsed last night.

I think the reason Panthers' fans are so freaked out right now is because Vokoun was sold as a goalie who will "steal us games". What can I say? I drank the koolaid all summer long. Last night sugar buzz was killed. We have been burned time and time again by the management of this organization...we're a little gun-shy and a LOT frustrated today.

Thanks again for your replies. You guys are a class act (pardon the over-used phrase).

Lola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2007, 04:56 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola View Post
First, thanks to all of you for your honest responses. I agree with the bolded part of this post. The entire team collapsed last night.

I think the reason Panthers' fans are so freaked out right now is because Vokoun was sold as a goalie who will "steal us games". What can I say? I drank the koolaid all summer long. Last night sugar buzz was killed. We have been burned time and time again by the management of this organization...we're a little gun-shy and a LOT frustrated today.

Thanks again for your replies. You guys are a class act (pardon the over-used phrase).
He'll steal you games. He'll also cost you games too. He usually steals quite a bit more than he'll cost you though.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2007, 06:35 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

just to echo some things...

Vokoun's inconsistency made him a frustrating subject around here. He had his die-hard loyal fans, but more and more over the past two seasons, questions started to arise. Some nights, he was *on*, and looked like the best goaltender in the league. Then the next night, he couldn't stop a beachball. When you've got someone playing like Chris Mason was, in relief, it causes a goalie controversy.

I wish TV luck, he's a great guy, but I wasn't sad to see him traded.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote