HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Switching to defence

Old
10-14-2007, 05:52 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

vCash: 50
Switching to defence

I've been playing hockey for about 10 years, I played RW every year, but last year i switched to Center and i did pretty good and i liked playing Center, and i felt like i was gonna improve a lot this year, but 3 games into the season 2 of our Defenceman got hurt.(1 got a sports hernia and the other broke his ankle playing football) My teammates want me to switch to Defence since i am a good defensive forward. I practiced today at defence and i made a couple of mistakes, like my breakout passes and getting beat wide.

What are some tips for how i can make the transition to defence better?

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2007, 12:32 PM
XweekendwarriorX

vCash: 500
Just keep everything to the outside and dont let mistakes bother you. always know where the other team is on the ice and dont commit to early the player will most likely slip by and have a good chance at scoring. also dont try to do to much and be a hero but just keep the puck to the outside. for the breakout keep your head up and look to where your going to pass but dont take long becuase the other team is watching where you wanna go. also if you dont have room for the pass skate it or just dump it off the boards quick.

XweekendwarriorX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2007, 01:02 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
I've been playing hockey for about 10 years, I played RW every year, but last year i switched to Center and i did pretty good and i liked playing Center, and i felt like i was gonna improve a lot this year, but 3 games into the season 2 of our Defenceman got hurt.(1 got a sports hernia and the other broke his ankle playing football) My teammates want me to switch to Defence since i am a good defensive forward. I practiced today at defence and i made a couple of mistakes, like my breakout passes and getting beat wide.

What are some tips for how i can make the transition to defence better?
At least you are not getting beat to the middle. If you are getting beat wide late enough you are at least partially doing your job. Not an easy transition to make, even for a defensive forward, which is more awareness/backchecking.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2007, 01:43 PM
keef

I had to switch to D for similar reasons. It took the better part of a season before I really felt comfortable. You'll probably need more time than you think to adjust.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/hnic/thinkhockey/
The Stick-on-Stick Defensive Coverage video might be a good one.

keef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2007, 01:47 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

If you're on a pretty good team it's a much easier transition. I tried it on a bad team and when the puck is in your zone for 75% of the game it's not very fun to play.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2007, 01:51 PM
Hank19*

Good luck with the transition.
I've always played forward but in a tournament last spring I was asked to play defense. It's definitely a different position and the game looks so different as well.

I just tried to keep things simple. Work hard, keep wingers to the outside, don't give them too much space when coming in the zone, clear rebounds, etc.

I really enjoyed playing D. I'd still be doing it but the league I play in is so good I'm a big-time liability out there. Playing defense requires a lot more brains than forward.

Good luck and enjoy!

Hank19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2007, 03:33 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by keef View Post
I had to switch to D for similar reasons. It took the better part of a season before I really felt comfortable. You'll probably need more time than you think to adjust.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/hnic/thinkhockey/
The Stick-on-Stick Defensive Coverage video might be a good one.

Thanks for that link.

Right now i'm just going to focus on defencive side of defence, i'll worry about offence later.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote