HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Proposal: 2 St. Louis

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-12-2004, 03:44 AM
  #1
Frenzy1
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 3,829
vCash: 500
Proposal: 2 St. Louis

1. Buffalo/St. Louis

To Buffalo: Pavol Demitra, Matt Walker (Or Rycroft)


To St. Louis: Satan, Chris Drury

Reason: St. Louis needs a shake up. They would get a Wing for Weight and pick up a solid 2 way Center in Drury. Buffalo gets the best player in the trade (one of the top players in the league) and either a physical Dman (missed most of the year due to injury) or a young grinder (plays like Dallas Drake).

2. Carolina/St. Louis

To Carolina: Pavol Demitra, 3rd Rounder

To St. Louis: Jeff O'neill, Rod Brindamore

This may be a little off due to unknown status of Brindamores contract next season (is he a UFA - a short term rental). Based on his status, the pick may go down.

Why am I trading Demitra? Because he has the most value for the Blues. His contract is 6.5 mill, but you would be able to renegociate next season (RFA) and would know a little more w/ regard to the CBA. I am not upset at all in Pavol's play this season, but a trade like this helps the Blues scoring depth.

Frenzy1 is offline  
Old
01-12-2004, 04:01 AM
  #2
McDonald19
Hampus
 
McDonald19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 17,149
vCash: 500
interesting...but if I'm St. Louis I wouldn't want to give up on Tkachuk and Demitra's chemistry.

St. Louis will add a goal scorer before the playoffs, but without giving one up.

McDonald19 is offline  
Old
01-12-2004, 04:02 AM
  #3
degroat*
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: http://nhl.degroat.n
Posts: 8,108
vCash: 500
I'd love to have Brind'Amour back in the Lou, but I like the first trade better. But, I'd adjust that trade a little to where the Blues acquire Biron also.

degroat* is offline  
Old
01-12-2004, 04:03 AM
  #4
degroat*
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: http://nhl.degroat.n
Posts: 8,108
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonald19
interesting...but if I'm St. Louis I wouldn't want to give up on Tkachuk and Demitra's chemistry.

St. Louis will add a goal scorer before the playoffs, but without giving one up.
Giving up that chemistry would be tough for Pleau to do, but he has to think about the future as he thinks about preparing this team for the playoffs. So, turning Demitra's salary into two players that total about his salary would be great (and I say this with Demitra being my favorite player).

degroat* is offline  
Old
01-12-2004, 06:37 AM
  #5
degroat*
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: http://nhl.degroat.n
Posts: 8,108
vCash: 500
Frenzy... just an FYI... in the future, include all team names in the title so their fans will look at the proposal and respond to it.

degroat* is offline  
Old
01-12-2004, 06:40 AM
  #6
Frenzy1
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 3,829
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by degroat
Frenzy... just an FYI... in the future, include all team names in the title so their fans will look at the proposal and respond to it.
Next time I will. Good call.

Frenzy1 is offline  
Old
01-12-2004, 09:49 AM
  #7
DrHockeyMD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Hospital
Posts: 198
vCash: 500
Not bad proposals at all. I'd probably take the Buffalo one, but only if Walker is the player. Carolina one isn't bad, either, but I wish those two players wouldn't keep crapping out every now and then. However, I'd rather see Mellanby go before anyone else (besides Johnson.. and Khavanov.. and Finley..).

DrHockeyMD is offline  
Old
01-12-2004, 10:09 AM
  #8
degroat*
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: http://nhl.degroat.n
Posts: 8,108
vCash: 500
Finley has been one of the few positive points with this team this year....

degroat* is offline  
Old
01-12-2004, 11:05 AM
  #9
c-carp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Illinois
Posts: 9,470
vCash: 500
I would do either one especially the 1st. Drury has always played well when it counts.

c-carp is offline  
Old
01-12-2004, 11:08 AM
  #10
BrianBurke
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 193
vCash: 500
Great! Get Demitra out of the Western conference. He's a Canuck killer.

BrianBurke is offline  
Old
01-12-2004, 11:29 AM
  #11
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****
 
NFITO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,857
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1
1. Buffalo/St. Louis

To Buffalo: Pavol Demitra, Matt Walker (Or Rycroft)


To St. Louis: Satan, Chris Drury

Reason: St. Louis needs a shake up. They would get a Wing for Weight and pick up a solid 2 way Center in Drury. Buffalo gets the best player in the trade (one of the top players in the league) and either a physical Dman (missed most of the year due to injury) or a young grinder (plays like Dallas Drake).

2. Carolina/St. Louis

To Carolina: Pavol Demitra, 3rd Rounder

To St. Louis: Jeff O'neill, Rod Brindamore

This may be a little off due to unknown status of Brindamores contract next season (is he a UFA - a short term rental). Based on his status, the pick may go down.

Why am I trading Demitra? Because he has the most value for the Blues. His contract is 6.5 mill, but you would be able to renegociate next season (RFA) and would know a little more w/ regard to the CBA. I am not upset at all in Pavol's play this season, but a trade like this helps the Blues scoring depth.
couple notes on this:

Brind'Amor signed a long term 5-yr contract I believe 2 seasons ago... should have 3 yrs left on it after this year at $5mill a season.

Demitra's contract would reduce his value... have to take into consideration some things here... he's at $6.5mill this season - a salary most teams couldn't afford, so it already affects his value... he's a RFA after this year, so he would have to be qualified at $6.5mill to retain his rights - you couldn't offer him less than that as a qualifying offer, or he becomes a UFA.

most teams going into the last summer of the current CBA season would probably back off of a contract like Demitra's... too much uncertainty really... especially a team like the Sabres who aren't really know for handing out big contracts... the Satan contract was huge for them - and he sat out to get it - at $5mill a year for 2 years...

basically any team acquiring Demitra would have to commit $6.5 mill to him for next season, under a new CBA, or lose him as a UFA.

I would think that this seriously hurts his value overall.... not that Satan's value can be that high at this point, but his contract is lower, and Drury is also a key part for them, having signed him long term this offseason.

The Carolina deal seems a lot more realistic, just because moving Brind'Amor's contract would be a plus for them... still don't think they're a team that would dish out $6.5mill for Demitra either.

high end RFA contracts this season I don't think hold a lot of value overall, cause they still need to be qualified under the current CBA, all the while teams knowing it could really hurt them next season as they will then move into a new CBA.

NFITO is offline  
Old
01-12-2004, 12:51 PM
  #12
Frenzy1
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 3,829
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO
couple notes on this:

Brind'Amor signed a long term 5-yr contract I believe 2 seasons ago... should have 3 yrs left on it after this year at $5mill a season.

Demitra's contract would reduce his value... have to take into consideration some things here... he's at $6.5mill this season - a salary most teams couldn't afford, so it already affects his value... he's a RFA after this year, so he would have to be qualified at $6.5mill to retain his rights - you couldn't offer him less than that as a qualifying offer, or he becomes a UFA.

most teams going into the last summer of the current CBA season would probably back off of a contract like Demitra's... too much uncertainty really... especially a team like the Sabres who aren't really know for handing out big contracts... the Satan contract was huge for them - and he sat out to get it - at $5mill a year for 2 years...

basically any team acquiring Demitra would have to commit $6.5 mill to him for next season, under a new CBA, or lose him as a UFA.

I would think that this seriously hurts his value overall.... not that Satan's value can be that high at this point, but his contract is lower, and Drury is also a key part for them, having signed him long term this offseason.

The Carolina deal seems a lot more realistic, just because moving Brind'Amor's contract would be a plus for them... still don't think they're a team that would dish out $6.5mill for Demitra either.

high end RFA contracts this season I don't think hold a lot of value overall, cause they still need to be qualified under the current CBA, all the while teams knowing it could really hurt them next season as they will then move into a new CBA.
These are very valid points that you bring up. I can only counter by saying that though Demitra is making 6.5 mill, Rycroft and Walker both make $425,000.00.

The values trading places would be about $8 Million going to St. Louis from Buffalo and less then 7 Million returning to Buffalo. Basically, Buffalo comes off w/ 1 mill in savings and gets the best player in the deal.

Would either team do the deal? I am not sure and don't have a crystal ball. I am sure the GMs have covered many trade posibilities (that is there job after all.

Frenzy1 is offline  
Old
01-12-2004, 01:29 PM
  #13
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****
 
NFITO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,857
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1
These are very valid points that you bring up. I can only counter by saying that though Demitra is making 6.5 mill, Rycroft and Walker both make $425,000.00.

The values trading places would be about $8 Million going to St. Louis from Buffalo and less then 7 Million returning to Buffalo. Basically, Buffalo comes off w/ 1 mill in savings and gets the best player in the deal.

Would either team do the deal? I am not sure and don't have a crystal ball. I am sure the GMs have covered many trade posibilities (that is there job after all.
I don't think that weighing out Rycroft and Walker's contract makes any bit of a difference though...

neither player has any significance to the deals... Buffalo is loaded with forwards as it is, and have more talent on their 3rd and 4th line were Rycroft may not even be a fit.... Walker is another depth dman - which Buffalo is again loaded with - although they are short on quality top4 ones.

dealing Satan for Demitra seems like a latteral move at best for them - and in doing so they pick up salary in Demitra, and a worse contract, while also adding a quality top 6 player in Drury - Rycroft (or Walker) aren't necessary really so not factoring them in.

if Buffalo deals Satan, they're more likely to address one of their needs - which is adding a top 4 dman in the process... a guy like Demitra just doesn't make sense.

I really don't think that Demitra has much trade value at all... value wise, maybe Satan straight up (although again doesn't solve Buffalo's problems)... or in a multiplayer deal for Peca + where both teams take on the same salary...

but with salaries the way they are, and the CBA concerns, I don't see Demitra moving... he's likely worth a lot more to the Blues then they could get on the market for his contract.

I think it might be easier to get Satan for a package around young players... that way Buffalo doesn't pick up a heavy contract.... not sure who the Blues have to move, but maybe a deal around one of their younger dman (Backman perhaps), a young forward with more upside than Rycroft (this will be though one?? not sure who they could pkg - someone like Stillman, if they still had him) and a prospect - depending on the quality of the forward, might have to pkg a top prospect?? ... or a legit top 4 dman and a top prospect??

I don't see a lot of assets though on the Blues that could be attractive, when salary is considered - and cheaper good players, that could fill a couple holes, who are still young, is likely to be much more attractive than a $6.5mill RFA contract (while also giving up Drury, who's likely not tradable from their POV).

biggest need though that I see for them is addressing their defense - especially with Zhitnik on the last year of his deal...

NFITO is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:20 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.