HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

slapshot help

Old
08-19-2007, 09:07 PM
greekdrummer

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to greekdrummer
slapshot help

hi can anyone tell me how i can raise my slapshot? i can usually raise it only a few inches, a foot on a good shot.( i can lift my wrist shot perfectly fine and can hit top right. im 13 and starting my first rec season in a few weeks so give me a break.

greekdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2007, 09:16 PM
EazyB97

Follow through high, work on hitting the mid heel of the blade and hitting slightly behind the puck. It'll come with practice.

EazyB97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2007, 09:36 PM
XweekendwarriorX

It all depends on where your curve is on the stick weather its a toe mid or heel curve. where the curve is fire it off of there and point the toe towards the top corner believe me it works i have a good one.

XweekendwarriorX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2007, 10:02 PM
greekdrummer

my one60 is a st louis curve and my tps is a nash curve

Old
08-19-2007, 10:27 PM
sc37

vCash: 450
It's just like your wrist shot, you gotta get the wrist action when you shoot it. Don't rely on your blade for the lift. But a few inches to a foot is fine, you don't want it too high cause it'll either hit someone on the way or it'll be easy for the goalie to get his body in front of.

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2007, 10:28 PM
Harbinger04

dont worry about higher slapshots, a good slapshot should usually be shot low and fast for the goalie has less time to move

if you shoot it in the air the goalie will have a better chance of deflecting it with the stick, glove, or catching it with the other glove while if you shoot it low it will be very hard for him to position his legs right to deflect it

Harbinger04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2007, 10:49 PM
Nosebleed Section

I say it's all in the blade if you want it higher go for a bigger curve towards the mid and heel. But as said I wish I could keep my shot lower lots of time. Also if your only 13 you probaly still got some growing to do so it'll only get better.

Nosebleed Section is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2007, 08:46 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsftw! View Post
dont worry about higher slapshots, a good slapshot should usually be shot low and fast for the goalie has less time to move

if you shoot it in the air the goalie will have a better chance of deflecting it with the stick, glove, or catching it with the other glove while if you shoot it low it will be very hard for him to position his legs right to deflect it
A rising slapshot is good to have from closer in, don't ya think? But ya, from the point, it's pretty much worthless.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2007, 09:14 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I spent many nights out on the rink getting my slapshot to rise, and now I have trouble keeping it down! I've scored a few goals and gotten some assists with a slapper about a foot off the ground, nothing with the riser, although last week I nearly pulled the Brian Rolston coming down a breakaway...goalie wasn't too thrilled.

Play around with your bottom hand placement on the stick. Keeping it lower seems to help. Might be that you're moving the kickpoint lower and allowing the stick to whip faster. I also try to roll my wrists and control the direction of the puck with the bottom hand. Keeping it pointed low on the follow through and keeping the blade face closed seems to help.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2007, 09:58 AM
XweekendwarriorX

The bottom hand should come almost down to the where the blade meets the shaft and drive off that back leg with all you got and strike the ice about 2-3 inches in front of the puck to get that whip on it. that just how i was taught at camps and by coaches there lots of ways to get a slap shot off.

Old
08-20-2007, 10:01 AM
XweekendwarriorX

http://www.whockey.com/tip/shooting/#slap-shot

The link a coach printed outed on different shots also.

Old
08-20-2007, 10:21 AM
Sm0otHocKeySPeeD

Send a message via AIM to Sm0otHocKeySPeeD
When you shoot the puck...follow thru and point your stick where you want the puck to go.

Slapshot low...shoot the puck with minimum to no follow thru.

Shoot high...follow thru and stop when your stick has reached the preferred height.

Aim is the key to putting the puck where you want it. I usually roll my wrists over after the slapper and point the toe of the stick where I want the puck to go. However, I prefer a snapshot over a slapshot.

A slapper takes time to get off as the big wind up gives the goalie time to react to what you're doing.

Stick to your wrister or snapshot. A good snapshot is far more effective. When done correctly and aimed properly, the velocity and accuracy of a snapshot can be a deadly tool to use in close on breakaways or even from the point thru a screen.

-B

Sm0otHocKeySPeeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2007, 03:52 PM
SiouxPride

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekdrummer View Post
My friend down the street, when we paly street hockey he has a wooden one, thats one sick curve, almsot illegal, but man "sick" is it.

but for the acutall topic, depends ony uor curve, i have a one 10 wooden its e heel curve, so tis better hieght near the end of the heel, my Warrior is a pretty good curv, i forget the name, but its brilliant for wrist shot accuracey and hieth, my one 90 has a middle blade nto sure again, but tis good for slap shot heith sorta near the middle, if that helps, your wlecome.

SiouxPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2007, 04:11 PM
greekdrummer

i dont know what they say about the nash and st louis curves but i can get some beautiful top right wristshots off at skate and shoots against some pretty good goailes.

Old
08-21-2007, 07:39 PM
sc37

vCash: 450
I dont think anyone has sent you off to www.hockeyshot.com

Nash=Sakic, St Louis=Modano/Forsberg....they pretty legal if you ask me. Almost the same curve but the Nash is open. And really, don't rely on your curve to get lift cause then you'll never learn to properly shoot a puck and get the most out of your shot.

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2007, 08:43 PM
blueliner27

Go youtube, they have a pretty decent vid there.

blueliner27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2007, 08:47 PM
Ludicrous Speed

im only 16 now and your in the same boat as i was...

8th grade bantam, embarrassed myself with my slapshot unless we were doing deflection drills

im still workin on it..ive always had a problem with getting it up and i must say, when your 13, a higher slapshot is better cause no one has really been taught how to deflect a low shot and goalies are much worse

i feel like ive tried everything, from the follow through to hand position and i still cant get it up...the absolutely only thing that has worked for me is telling someone that i cant get it up and have them watch..then i hit it well but that really happens

the real thing that works for me is looking where i want it to go and not looking at the puck, like you do with a wrist shot, but if you miss you look like an idiot

my curve is brendl..i pretty much think its good for every type of shot

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2007, 08:48 PM
Allsmokenopancake

http://www.hockeyshot.com/shooting12_slap.htm

Allsmokenopancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2007, 11:35 AM
Kevin Wey

The Hockey Shot website is a good resource.

It's hard to diagnose your problem without seeing you. You may have the puck too far forward when you shoot, you may not be following through, you may be firing your muscles in the incorrect sequence... In shooting, muscle sequence should go from large muscle groups to small ones: legs -> pelvis -> core -> pecs -> shoulders -> arms -> forearms -> wrists/hands.

Some players may skip steps and use almost their upper body entirely for their shot. Often with slap shots, people aren't following through as they do with their wrist shot. Others might start moving parts of their upper body before they move their core (when shooting), the list goes on.

I'd ask a good coach in your area that's real good at teaching skills (that may not be the coach of your team, I don't know) that could watch you and knows these things. People sometimes think asking a good player to help them is the answer, and it might help, but players don't always know exactly why they're so good at what they do. A good coach that has also played at a high level of hockey will probably be the most help, because he'll (or maybe even she'll) be able to break down the shot for you, watch you carefully and diagnose your problem, and help you do some Whole Part Whole training/drills to rectify your problem, and demonstrate these things to you.

Lastly, with younger players especially, I often see people using too stiff of a stick for their strength. Some people think that a stiff stick automatically generates power: wrong. That stick bend is important in creating velocity, because that stick bend is important because it increases the time in which the force is applied. This principal of classical mechanics is very easy to demonstrate with wrist shots with the distance of the sweeping motion. Obviously, a stick that is too whippy for a player will be bad, too, but I don't see as many players making this mistake.

Blade patterns do make a difference, but a good player can take a blade that is a "closed" blade and lift it. I use a Montreal composite stick with a "closed" blade and it consistently reminds me if I'm not following through on my slap shot, as I won't be able to raise the puck as I desire. That said, most slaps shots should be low anyway. How often do we see players snipe a slap shot top shelf in the NHL? Very rarely. How often do we see it stay low, get lost in traffic and feet and the goalie can't track it, or it gets deflected. Aside from Bill Guerin and Christian Ehrhoff trying a one-time with Guerin's face, most redirections happen one foot or less of the ice.

Kevin Wey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2007, 04:28 PM
fishman123097

Send a message via AIM to fishman123097
Quote:
Originally Posted by greekdrummer View Post
i believe that is a one50 not a one60

fishman123097 is offline   Reply With Quote