HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

All-Time Draft #8, Part IV

Closed Thread

Old
10-18-2007, 04:26 AM
Nalyd Psycho

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator View Post
There will be no MC Hammer songs at Seals games, so don't even go there, girlfriend.
Even when the opposition goes 2 minutes without touching the puck due to the crazy puck cycling skills of Gretzky-Bathgate-Clancy?

10-18-2007, 05:26 AM
Rick Middleton

Send a message via AIM to Rick Middleton
448 VanIslander - New York Raiders (on the clock)

Round #17
449 BM67 - New Jersey Devils (on-deck circle)
450 Nalyd Psycho & Sturminator - Oakland Seals (in the hole)

10-18-2007, 05:31 AM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

New York Raiders head coach Shero is pleased to have a word in the selection of a linemate for Brind'amour and Luce in a 6'2 195 lbs two-way force, tough through his career with 2000+ PIM and a sniper of a shot with 355 goals in 1018 NHL games:

Mike Foligno

Quote:
...a hard-nosed right-winger with a heavy shot and an above average scoring touch... considered a positive influence on team chemistry wherever he played.... The enthusiastic youngster scored 36 goals in 1979-80 and finished runner-up to Ray Bourque in the Calder trophy voting.... spent the prime of his career with the Sabres where he added a strong defensive game to his offensive prowess under coach Scotty Bowman... an inspirational leader and scored a key overtime goal during game five of the first round playoff victory over the Detroit Red Wings. Foligno helped the Leafs come within one game of reaching the Stanley Cup finals
http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080/...p?player=10488

Old
10-18-2007, 07:34 AM
BM67

The New Jersey Devils are pleased to select a winner who played in seven Stanley Cup finals and won the trophy four times with four different teams from four seperate leagues, including the first American winner, the first NHL winner, and the last non-NHL winner

Harry "Hap" Holmes

Quote:
One of the preeminent netminders of his era, Harry "Hap" Holmes excelled in all five of the top pro leagues from 1912 to 1928. He made an impact in the National Hockey Association, Pacific Coast Hockey Association, Western Canada Hockey League, Western Hockey League and National Hockey League. A sterling playoff performer, Holmes backstopped two Stanley Cup wins in Toronto and one each in Seattle and Victoria. He was the leading goalie six times in the Pacific Coast Hockey Association/Western Canada Hockey League. In Stanley Cup play, he out-dueled such legends as Georges Vezina and Clint Benedict.
- HHoF Bio

Quote:
Happy Holmes was an exceptional goaler who played in both the east and west, compiling an average that is second only to that of Clint Benedict when weighted with the length of his career. He was on seven chamionship teams, four of which won the Stanley Cup.

This great goalkeeper seemed taken for granted and little refence was made of the extraordinary record that he was compiling. The eccentricities of other goalers kept many of them in the news but Holmes, if mentioned, was usually reported as playing a steady game. This he maintained throughout his career.
- The Trail of the Stanley Cup Vol. 1

Quote:
Harry "Hap" Holmes was goalie of uncommon grit. Sportswriters called him "Nerveless." He played in 409 top-level contests in his career with Toronto, Seattle, Detroit, and Victoria. If there had been a throphy for the league's top goalie in his day, he may very well have taken half a dozen. In all, he counted 40 shutouts, adding 7 more in 48 playoff contests, and he put up a career goals-against average of 2.81 and backstopped seven league championship squads and four Stanley Cup winners.
- Ultimate Hockey

Quote:
28 Harry "Hap" Holmes
Holmes came up big at the most important time of year. He posted a playoff goals-against average below 2.00 in six of his ten pro seasons.

Notable Achievements: Hall of Famer; seven-time Pacific Coast Hockey Association All-Star; Western Canada Hockey League All-Star in 1924-25; backstopped the first U.S.-based Cup winner [1916-17 Seattle Metropolitans], the first NHL Cup winner [1917-18 Toronto Arenas], and the last Cup winner from outside the NHL [1924-25 WCHL Victoria Cougars]; led the PCHA in wins three times, in shutouts four times, and in goals-against average five times; led the National Hockey Association in wins once and shutouts twice; led the WCHL and Western Hockey League in GAA once each; played in five different major pro leagues [NHL, NHA, PCHA, WCHL, and WHL] and reached the Stanley Cup final with clubs from each; American Hockey League goaltending award was named in his honor.
- Without Fear Hockey's 50 Greatest Goaltenders

Old
10-18-2007, 07:36 AM
Rick Middleton

450 Nalyd Psycho & Sturminator - Oakland Seals (at the podium)
451 nik jr & Agent Dale Cooper - Seattle Thunderbirds (at the on-deck circle)
452 pitseleh - Nanaimo Clippers (in the hole)

Old
10-18-2007, 07:42 AM
Wisent

Quote:
As far as the Jagr pick is concerned, it all depends on what you're looking for. I think Jagr is almost certainly more explosive offensively than Lindsay. Terrible Ted was a great offensive player, but what makes him so valuable is his all-around game. Jagr is a guy who can break the game open at any moment, against any defenseman at any spot in the attacking zone. His size/speed/skill combination is unreal.

Depending on the kind of offense you're trying to run and what other players you have or intend to put on the 1st line, I can definitely see Jagr going ahead of Lindsay. Not every player on a team/line needs to be a leader or a gritty 2-way guy. If you need offense first and foremost and already have the other bits covered (not to mention the RW/LW difference) taking Jagr over Lindsay makes perfect sense.

Also, I would note that the "left wing scarcity" assumption is mostly false. There is a smaller truly elite tier at left wing than at any other position, but the field fattens up nicely into a middle-tier of very attractive scoringline players in rounds six and seven, at about the same time the high-end tier of right wings begins to dry up. After the 11-deep tier of elite talent at right wing (Bathgate is generally the last player taken from this group in my opinion, though arguments can be made that Makarov and Mikhailov are at least close), I actually think the left wings are better.
I completely agree with that post. For me, the left wing scarcity is a bit of a myth. There are a lot of high end left wings that fit in an all-time draft. Funnily, I have problems filling my right wing spot. That is why I pick them early.

Old
10-18-2007, 08:09 AM
BlueBleeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonking View Post
I knew Flin Flon wasn't going to start Clarke-Trottier and I was fairly confident St Louis wasn't going to start Yzerman-Trottier, so when Winnipeg took Jagr (awful pick IMO) instead of Lindsay, I realized that (at the very least) I was going to get Trottier. My exact words were, "wow ... that just happened."
I seriously considered Yzerman - Trottier, as a 1-2 punch. Hall won the coin toss.

Old
10-18-2007, 08:13 AM
BlueBleeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
New York Raiders head coach Shero is pleased to have a word in the selection of a linemate for Brind'amour and Luce in a 6'2 195 lbs two-way force, tough through his career with 2000+ PIM and a sniper of a shot with 355 goals in 1018 NHL games:

Mike Foligno

http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080/...p?player=10488
Both of my 4th line RW's gone...

Old
10-18-2007, 08:48 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
You Suck McBain!

Quote:
I like it, I like it. We'll have to get our PR people on that right away.

We can also play OPP during the Oakland Power Play and Mama Said Knock You Out whenever Red Horner gets in a fight. Don't call it a comeback. Too bad we don't have Jeremy Roenick and his sweet dance moves. I'd like to incorporate I am the Walrus into the playlist, as well, though I'm not really sure where it would be appropriate. Maybe after Holocek makes a great save? Haven't come up with a good goal song yet, though if we want to use some local Oakland talent, we could certainly do a lot worse than Baby Got Back. There will be no MC Hammer songs at Seals games, so don't even go there, girlfriend.
Who's got Tkachuk?

Last edited by Rowdy Roddy Peeper: 10-18-2007 at 08:57 AM.
Old
10-18-2007, 08:56 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
You Suck McBain!

Quote:
As far as the Jagr pick is concerned, it all depends on what you're looking for. I think Jagr is almost certainly more explosive offensively than Lindsay. Terrible Ted was a great offensive player, but what makes him so valuable is his all-around game. Jagr is a guy who can break the game open at any moment, against any defenseman at any spot in the attacking zone. His size/speed/skill combination is unreal.

Depending on the kind of offense you're trying to run and what other players you have or intend to put on the 1st line, I can definitely see Jagr going ahead of Lindsay. Not every player on a team/line needs to be a leader or a gritty 2-way guy. If you need offense first and foremost and already have the other bits covered (not to mention the RW/LW difference) taking Jagr over Lindsay makes perfect sense.

Also, I would note that the "left wing scarcity" assumption is mostly false. There is a smaller truly elite tier at left wing than at any other position, but the field fattens up nicely into a middle-tier of very attractive scoringline players in rounds six and seven, at about the same time the high-end tier of right wings begins to dry up. After the 11-deep tier of elite talent at right wing (Bathgate is generally the last player taken from this group in my opinion, though arguments can be made that Makarov and Mikhailov are at least close), I actually think the left wings are better.
I actually sort of agree with the Jagr/Lindsay assessment, as Jagr is more of a gamebreaker offensively. However, even if Lindsay's not quite as fearsome from a strictly offensive perspective (few are), he can break open a game in a number of ways, not only with a nice dish or a timely goal, but a big hit or an astute defensive play, a scrap, or frankly, a cheapshot. Then there's his unparalleled motivational and leadership qualities, and the fact that he brings it every night.

Overall, I give it to Lindsay, for everything he does. But if a GM has a very well thought-out game plan, I suppose I could see someone justifying the pick. Jagr's one dimension is a potent one.

Old
10-18-2007, 09:05 AM
pitseleh

VanI, you just had to take Foligno.

I have lists from Sturm and nik jr.

Oakland selects G Normie Smith.

Seattles, continuing their trend of taking players just before I'm going to pick them, select LW Baldy Northcott.

I was planning on taking one of Northcott or Foligno. I need to decide on this pick, I'll have it in a little while.

Old
10-18-2007, 09:16 AM
pitseleh

Nanaimo is proud to select G Tom Barrasso. Yeah, he's a jerk, but he's a jerk who could play.

Old
10-18-2007, 09:30 AM
Rick Middleton

453 Evil Speaker - Boston Bruins (at the podium)
454 MXD - Castors de Sherbrooke (in the on-deck circle)
455 reckoning - Ottawa 67s (in the hole)

Old
10-18-2007, 09:47 AM
MXD

Reck has my pick, and he picks right after me. I'll be back home around 5 PM.

Old
10-18-2007, 09:56 AM
Rick Middleton

Anyone have Evil Speaker's pick?

Old
10-18-2007, 09:56 AM
God Bless Canada

MXD, I hope you're still around, because I have the Speaker's pick, and you're up. The Speaker's Boston Bruins are proud to select arguably the toughest defenceman remaining: D Keith Magnuson.

Old
10-18-2007, 10:14 AM
ck26
7,709 miles & runnin

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada View Post
Well, when Terrible Ted Lindsay is still out there, that might have something to do with it. I'd never pass on Lindsay to take Jagr.
Agreed. Jagr isn't the first skater I'd want on my team.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger's Pancreas View Post
You have no idea how hard I tried to get in there and steal Trottier away. I must have organized five trades only to have each and every one of them fall through.
Wow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBleeder View Post
I seriously considered Yzerman - Trottier, as a 1-2 punch. Hall won the coin toss.
Another wow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
Nanaimo is proud to select G Tom Barrasso. Yeah, he's a jerk, but he's a jerk who could play.
Nice pick.

Old
10-18-2007, 10:18 AM
pitseleh

MXD selects G Vlad Dzurilla.

Old
10-18-2007, 11:20 AM
Rick Middleton

455 reckoning - Ottawa 67s - (at the podium)
456 Evil Sather & kruezer - New York Rangers (in the on-deck circle)
457 pappyline - Guelph Biltmores (in the hole)

Great pace so far today folks. Let's keep it up.

Old
10-18-2007, 12:00 PM
nik jr

Quote:
Seattle, continuing their trend of taking players just before I'm going to pick them, select LW Baldy Northcott.

I was planning on taking one of Northcott or Foligno. I need to decide on this pick, I'll have it in a little while.
sorry about that pitseleh, but thanks for making our pick.

1 of the better defensive forwards of his time, northcott was 1st AS LW in '33, led the '35 playoffs in both goals and points while winning the cup, and was awarded a retroactive smythe for that year.

Quote:
Lawrence "Baldy" Northcott-Montreal Maroons
In very low scoring playoffs this strong back-checking winger led the playoffs in goals (4) and points (5). He made them all count as he had three games winners. He had the only goal of the series in overtime as Maroons beat Chicago 1 goal to none; the winner in the opener against the Rangers; and had goals in each of the last two games of the finals including the cup-clinching winner in game three (4-1) over the Leafs.
wanted a player like tonelli--gritty LW who was defensively responsible and could work the boards and score. northcott is a good fit. he could also play D.
he made the top 10 in goals and points a few times, finishing as high as 3rd in points and 4th in goals.

Old
10-18-2007, 12:09 PM
God Bless Canada

Quote:
This is the guy I was thinking of when I mentioned a guy who might not fit into a team as a back-up goalie. It might be one of the reasons he was left off the 1996 World Cup team for the U.S. as the No. 3. (Guy Hebert was the No. 3 that year).

He's one of the best goalies available. One of the best eligible goalies not in the HHOF. But can he check his ego at the door and accept the role of a back-up? Or is he going to be a malcontent and a problem child in the locker room?

If Hap Day can keep Barasso happy, then Hap deserves coach of the year.

Old
10-18-2007, 02:38 PM
MXD

Thanks Pits. Obviously, his capacity to work in tandem with other goalies, and especially someone from another "ethnicity" if that makes sense in english (being french, I screw up some words at time), makes him a prime candidate over many goalies selected before.

Quote:
Montreal's GM Sam Pollock was so impressed by Dzurilla's performance in the 1976 Canada Cup that he put him on Montreal's negotiation list although he was 34. Pollock said that Dzurilla showed him enough in that one game to warrant putting his name on the list. Dzurilla however never got permission to play in North America.
Quote:
After his playing career was over he became a trainer in Czechoslovakia, Switzerland and Germany. He was also IIHF's (International Ice Hockey Federation) official goalie instructor for young goalies in 1995. His last hockey game came in Stockholm in May of 1995 when the Swedish oldtimers played against the World oldtimer All-Stars. The ever popular Dzurilla, with the trademark smile on his face, won the player of the game award.
Quote:
He was a legendary goalie in Europe and is without a doubt Slovakia's greatest goalie of all time.

Old
10-18-2007, 02:45 PM
Evil Speaker
Registered

vCash: 1584
Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada View Post
MXD, I hope you're still around, because I have the Speaker's pick, and you're up. The Speaker's Boston Bruins are proud to select arguably the toughest defenceman remaining: D Keith Magnuson.

Thanks GBC. Keith Magnuson will be united with his former teammate Pat Stapleton on the 2nd unit. Keith brings us alot of heart, character, toughness and agressive defensive play to the defense. We were hoping to have Red Dutton as our character guy, but Magnuson is a nice consolation.

Old
10-18-2007, 03:18 PM
Nalyd Psycho

WOW. I just knew BM67 was gonna grab Holmes. But Smith is a great consolation prize. With a European starter, I knew it was essential to have a back-up with not just playoff experience, but some Stanley cup wins, so a two time Cup champion, retroactive Smythe winner and winner of the longest game in NHL history is just what the doctor ordered.

Funny that Northcott went next as he was next on our list...

Last edited by Nalyd Psycho: 10-18-2007 at 03:25 PM.
Old
10-18-2007, 03:21 PM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

I have to say I considered throwing Godzilla's name into the pot when Nalyd and I were discussing backup goalie candidates, but we both decided that we wanted a guy with NHL playoff experience. Normie Smith was a hell of a goalie for a couple of years before hurting his arm and he's a guy we feel comfortable slotting in to give Holocek a break, both during the regular season and in the playoffs.

Although I dislike short-peak players in general, I make an exception for backup goalies, for whom brief bursts of greatness are more important than long-term consistency. There haven't been many better two year peaks than Normie had from 1935 to 1937, but there also wasn't a whole lot more to his career than that, so I don't see much reason to believe he'd have a problem playing second fiddle to a workhorse like Holocek.

Closed Thread