HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dawes To Play Tomorrow (w/Jagr & Gomez) - Hossa Out (Groin)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-17-2007, 05:10 PM
  #76
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 18,491
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Ranger View Post
What are you talking about?

I said Gomez and Drury need to be on the top two lines according to their talent and our ridiculous contracts for them. I didn't say we don't have a good top nine..?
Yeah, but if there is any diffrence between beeing on our 2nd or 3rd line, we are pretty much out of the race already.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2007, 05:14 PM
  #77
Jay88*
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Queens,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 960
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Ranger View Post
Points isn't everything..

Betts does all the little things right, and he blocks shots, finishes his checks, protects his teammates, wins more than 50% of his face offs(which is great and huge) is GREAT defensively, and DEFENSE wins games. Now...how is Betts not good?
I guess the best way for me to put it is, Betts is easily replaceable. Does that work for ya? He dont defend team mates, I have no idea what games you are watching.

The guy is good on the PK and thats all. As for blocking sots well, he cant do it at even strength as there is not time, so like I said its done onthe PK. Where he is valuable, which is why he is a 4th liner cause he provides nothing buit a good defensive game on the PK. thats just about a fact, as I hate to sound cocky, but its not an opinion.

Jay88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2007, 05:20 PM
  #78
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay88 View Post
I guess the best way for me to put it is, Betts is easily replaceable. Does that work for ya? He dont defend team mates, I have no idea what games you are watching.

The guy is good on the PK and thats all. As for blocking sots well, he cant do it at even strength as there is not time, so like I said its done onthe PK. Where he is valuable, which is why he is a 4th liner cause he provides nothing buit a good defensive game on the PK. thats just about a fact, as I hate to sound cocky, but its not an opinion.
No, because he's not easily replaceable. For his team ethic and hard work every night and every shift more importantly for his salary, and talent in his defensive game he's not easily replaceable at all. I don't get what you mean there.. anyway I don't like confrontation, agree to disagree. I think Betts has been one of the only players out there every shift with full heart though and he's a good Ranger.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2007, 05:21 PM
  #79
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 18,491
vCash: 500
Lines in hockey are given a number, 1, 2, 3 and 4.

Though, if you got a big drop off after nr 2, there is no way you can compete in this league. Any team needs atleast 3 lines that can play at the higest level, that can go up against any line in the league, to have success.

Look at the top 4 teams last season, Anaheim, Buffalo, Detroit and Ottawa. Ottawa pretty much had 1st and three 2nd lines minus one player (Schubert on the 4th), the rest had 3 really good lines, where often the shape on gameday decided who played the most.

Besides Jagrs line that is our outspoken number 1 for a good reason, we must have 2 more lines. And on thoose 2 lines it shouldn't matter at all what line a player like Drury is on.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2007, 05:22 PM
  #80
Jay88*
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Queens,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 960
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Ranger View Post
Points isn't everything..
Where did I ever say that. I am one to say defense wins championships and stand by that. Betts is replaceable and thats the truth. Bt Renney has this facination with Betts like he does Hossa and its very weird.

Jay88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2007, 05:24 PM
  #81
Jay88*
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Queens,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 960
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Ranger View Post
No, because he's not easily replaceable. For his team ethic and hard work every night and every shift more importantly for his salary, and talent in his defensive game he's not easily replaceable at all. I don't get what you mean there.. anyway I don't like confrontation, agree to disagree. I think Betts has been one of the only players out there every shift with full heart though and he's a good Ranger.
Yes he is. i would have chosen Ortmeyer over Betts in a heart beat. Just for the fact Ort's showed way more heart and did everything Betts did, and better.

I would also choose Moore over Betts.

If it was up to me Betts would be gone and I would have found a spot for Ortmeyer and Moore on this team.Caude Moore and Betts look better then Betts on there worst nights. that may be a bit over the line. but basically Im saying the of them showed heart every game and I dont see it from Betts .

Jay88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2007, 05:26 PM
  #82
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay88 View Post
Yes he is. i would have chosen Ortmeyer over Betts in a heart beat. Just for the fact Ort's showed way more heart and did everything Betts did, and better.

I would also choose Moore over Betts.

If it was up to me Betts would be gone and I would have found a spot for Ortmeyer and Moore on this team.
Ortmeyer is a wing not a center.. I agree I want Ortmeyer back to with Betts...... instead of Hollweg... Hollweg isn't giving us much .....

Moore I disagree though...

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2007, 05:26 PM
  #83
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,531
vCash: 500
the reason dawes is playing on the first line is because renney is trying to mesh two players together first and the other 3 lines have those players intact....

callahan-prucha
shanahan-straka
hollweg-orr


and the first line is supposed to be hossa-jagr

all of those pairings work well together.......and all of them are wings.....they are just switching the centers around to see what fits.......plus gomez and dawes worked really well together

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2007, 05:36 PM
  #84
Nich
Registered User
 
Nich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Wantagh
Country: Croatia
Posts: 6,895
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Ranger View Post
What are you talking about?

I said Gomez and Drury need to be on the top two lines according to their talent and our ridiculous contracts for them. I didn't say we don't have a good top nine..?
playing a player according to his contract is what got us in the bobby holik mess. you play they where they can be best benifical to the team at this point. sure next year it can change, but you play them NOW where they can help us NOW.

and not to be offensive, but playing someone according to their contract is the ********.

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2007, 06:06 PM
  #85
BigE
Registered User
 
BigE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: San Francisco, CA
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,476
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Ranger View Post
What are you talking about?

I said Gomez and Drury need to be on the top two lines according to their talent and our ridiculous contracts for them. I didn't say we don't have a good top nine..?
Everyone would do well to remember that Drury also played on the "third line" in Buffalo.

Perhaps Prucha-Drury-Cally will become as good as his other third line: Afinogenov-Drury-Vanek.

BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2007, 06:11 PM
  #86
BigE
Registered User
 
BigE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: San Francisco, CA
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,476
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Ranger View Post
No, because he's not easily replaceable. For his team ethic and hard work every night and every shift more importantly for his salary, and talent in his defensive game he's not easily replaceable at all. I don't get what you mean there.. anyway I don't like confrontation, agree to disagree. I think Betts has been one of the only players out there every shift with full heart though and he's a good Ranger.
I hate to burst your bubble, but defensively reliable fourth line centers are a dime a dozen in this league. He does absolutely nothing to complement Shanahan and Straka because he's got poor puck handling skills and even worse vision. Sure he's defensively responsible and you need that on any line, however it can't come at the expense of offensive ineptitude on a line that is supposed to be a scoring.

All those that predicted trading Matt Cullen was a mistake are smirking at this moment. The only hope I have for Betts centering our second line is that Shanny and Straka figure out that they need to drive the net. Betts won't pass, he just shoots. So look for rebounds, please! I can see Straka taking his usual, hidden position just off the left post and waiting for the puck to bounce through the defensemans legs and right onto his stick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Lines in hockey are given a number, 1, 2, 3 and 4.

Though, if you got a big drop off after nr 2, there is no way you can compete in this league. Any team needs atleast 3 lines that can play at the higest level, that can go up against any line in the league, to have success.

Look at the top 4 teams last season, Anaheim, Buffalo, Detroit and Ottawa. Ottawa pretty much had 1st and three 2nd lines minus one player (Schubert on the 4th), the rest had 3 really good lines, where often the shape on gameday decided who played the most.

Besides Jagrs line that is our outspoken number 1 for a good reason, we must have 2 more lines. And on thoose 2 lines it shouldn't matter at all what line a player like Drury is on.
I agree here, Ola. The number is just a that, a number. It really has little significance in terms of the icetime they're likely to receive. If anything I like the opportunity this gives guys like Prucha and Callahan, because with Drury on the line it forces Renney's hand into playing them.

BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2007, 08:04 PM
  #87
Pizza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,354
vCash: 500
Golden opportunity for Nigel.

Make the most of it kid. You won't get many better chances than this in NY, imo.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2007, 09:07 PM
  #88
bmoak
Registered User
 
bmoak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,620
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPG View Post
I agree... Blair Betts and his 6 career assists in 3 years as a Ranger. Don't get me wrong, I like Betts for what he brings to the table, but I dunno about a Shanny/Betts line.
Straka is the playmaker on that line, so I'm not too worried.

bmoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2007, 09:50 PM
  #89
HockeyHound94
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 9
vCash: 500
Let's pray that Malik sits also.

HockeyHound94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2007, 10:09 PM
  #90
SaveByLundqvist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 261
vCash: 500
glad to see that dawes is getting a shot

i would rather see these lines though

dawes/hossa(whens hes back) straka jagr
prucha gomez callahan
shanny drury avery(when hes back) maybe throw dubi here for now
hollweg betts orr

or switch prucha and dawes so the top two lines look like

prucha straka jagr
dawes gomez callahan

i love betts, but i don't think betts should play anywhere above the fourth line on this team

SaveByLundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 07:55 AM
  #91
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,469
vCash: 500
Back to Dawes...

now I'm even more burned up about this past week if Dawes plays. First, there were two forwards missing from practice. So in Hossa's 'place', Renney used Strudwick. Makes perfect sense - a slow, defensive-minded defenseman practicing with the top line. I can understand that totally, especially combined with the fact that they can bring someone up becacuse there's a roster spot. At a minimum, Dawes should've been here just for practice to go better. Have a guy who least knows what to do in the offensive zone - it should make for a more efficient practice. But, in addition, if there is doubt a player, like Hossa, may not play, then bring that kid up because of that. It makes so little sense. Hopefully Dawes gets a chance - but these are the little things that Renney doesn't think about that drive me nuts.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 07:57 AM
  #92
NYRJurgen88
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: Wales
Posts: 1,334
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to NYRJurgen88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
now I'm even more burned up about this past week if Dawes plays. First, there were two forwards missing from practice. So in Hossa's 'place', Renney used Strudwick. Makes perfect sense - a slow, defensive-minded defenseman practicing with the top line. I can understand that totally, especially combined with the fact that they can bring someone up becacuse there's a roster spot. At a minimum, Dawes should've been here just for practice to go better. Have a guy who least knows what to do in the offensive zone - it should make for a more efficient practice. But, in addition, if there is doubt a player, like Hossa, may not play, then bring that kid up because of that. It makes so little sense. Hopefully Dawes gets a chance - but these are the little things that Renney doesn't think about that drive me nuts.
agreed. Give Dawes a chance and at least give the team a chance to ice the best possible lines and combinations. How can they 'gel'and find chemsitry witha bit part out of position defenceman playing with our best player?!?!?

Give Dawes the LW on Jags line. He'll score.

NYRJurgen88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 11:13 AM
  #93
devilsfan30
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 381
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
No nono Scatchard.
where is that kid, joe barnes (i think that's his name), that rangers got in return for cullen?

devilsfan30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 11:18 AM
  #94
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer
 
Whoot Whoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 2,694
vCash: 500
I think with our new stars + shanny, Jagr, Henrik . orr must always play to defend them.

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 11:21 AM
  #95
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 24,513
vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsfan30 View Post
where is that kid, joe barnes (i think that's his name), that rangers got in return for cullen?
He injured himself during the preseason. He'll be reporting soon to Charlotte in the ECHL if I'm not mistaken.

__________________

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 11:24 AM
  #96
DontStepanMe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Queens, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,383
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
He injured himself during the preseason. He'll be reporting soon to Charlotte in the ECHL if I'm not mistaken.
He's playing already for Charlotte. I think he had a 4 goal game.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 11:26 AM
  #97
Jay88*
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Queens,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 960
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Ranger View Post
Ortmeyer is a wing not a center.. I agree I want Ortmeyer back to with Betts...... instead of Hollweg... Hollweg isn't giving us much .....

Moore I disagree though...
I never said Ormeyer was acenter, but said I prefer him over Betts and Moore over Betts. Ortmeyer is a smart enough player where if it was needed could play center and learn the game. Betts is good on faceoffs, and PK'ing, but what else?

Jay88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 11:27 AM
  #98
FutureGM97
Registered User
 
FutureGM97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Connecticut, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,833
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
if Dawes plays really well, not only will he stay up with the Rangers but I think we could see Hossa gone...as much of a man crush Renney has for this guy- he could definitely be traded for pick/prospect to help chop off a million (thats his salary rite?) from our cap which is always nice

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 11:28 AM
  #99
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 24,513
vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
He's playing already for Charlotte. I think he had a 4 goal game.
I think the ECHL regular season actually kicks off tonight. Was it a preseason game maybe?

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 11:29 AM
  #100
Son of Steinbrenner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 9,720
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay88 View Post
I never said Ormeyer was acenter, but said I prefer him over Betts and Moore over Betts. Ortmeyer is a smart enough player where if it was needed could play center and learn the game. Betts is good on faceoffs, and PK'ing, but what else?
what else?

what else do you need from a bottom 2 line player? I don't agree that's all he's good at but if that's all you see what else do you expect?

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:36 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.