HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Trades: when and how many??

Closed Thread

Old
01-12-2004, 12:18 PM
txpd

vCash: 500
Trades: when and how many??

We've past the halfway mark for many teams and the trade traffic has been very quiet all year. We know that Curtis Joseph, Jaromir Jagr, and Pierre Turgeon have all been very publicly on the market and none moved.

What is your honest projection on how many significant trades will come up between now and the trade deadline. Significant trades being trades that involve top 6 forwards, top 4 defensemen, prized prospects and very early first round draft choices.

Its my view that there will be very little of that. Too many teams are not willing to trade sure shot prospects and already in the NHL young players with the CBA situation such as it is.

There may be a select few pure salary dump deals involving name players, but with a salary cap on the horizon I seriously wonder how many teams will be willing to dump known assets for little return.

Thats my take...what is yours?

Old
01-12-2004, 12:22 PM
Oilhitch

I dont think that there will be as much action this year as last as we come into the trade deadline. I think that there will be a few teams gunning for the cup making some questionable moves but I think it will be kinda quiet.

Most teams will be trying to dump salaries although.

Old
01-12-2004, 02:02 PM
Malefic74

The trade traffic is unusually quiet this season. To be expected I suppose. I believe that most of the deals come deadline time will be for depth players and the only "salary dumps" will be in the form of Rent-a-Guys who are UFAs at the end of the season. If you aren't going to make the playoffs anyway, why pay a couple more million? Particularly to a veteran guy (say 35 or older).

To predict a salary dump is a pretty easy cop-out. If ALL the owners are as concerned about their revenues and such and want to dump salaries who are they going to dump to? If every GM in the league is ordered not to take on any more salary (particularly related to long deals like Jagr) who will take these guys?

In the end the number of trades made will be directly related to how close the playoff race is. If everyone is really close for those bottom spots you may not see as much; as everyone wants (or in some cases NEED those 2 guaranteed home playoff games to make their budgets.) If the standings really start to string out over the next couple of months; get ready for some fireworks. My gut feeling is that there will only be maybe 2 real "sellers" per conference come deadline time.

Closed Thread