HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Malik Seems Headed for Tomorrow's Scratch List (Confirmed Scratch)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-18-2007, 02:27 PM
  #51
danno2530
 
danno2530's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,453
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Dellapina is confirming that Malik will sit and Pock will play with Rozsival. It seems clear that Tyutin and Girardi are now consider the top pairing.

Come on people, you asked for it, give Renney some credit.

Source: Dellapina's blog and Sam.
Yeah this is a very good move by Renney. He realizes there's a problem..and maybe Malik will turn it around and have a decent season, who knows? But I am very happy with the blueline that we are set to roll out tonight and hopefully it works out as well as I think it should.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 02:29 PM
  #52
MrAlfie
 
MrAlfie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Rehab
Country: Spain
Posts: 5,249
vCash: 500
Renney has grown some balls or some brain, I dont know what it is, but even I (the guy who wanted and maybe still wants Renney replaced) am positively surprised and delighted with that decision.
I applaude him for finally sticking to his words (accountability) but its damn late... it took him almost 2 years to finally bench Malik... lets hope Renney is learning and took the next step to become a "real" coach.

MrAlfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 02:47 PM
  #53
Son of Steinbrenner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 9,882
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Whos track record do you think?

We are talking about MALIK for the 200th time. Why do you bring other players names up over and over to try to back up your claims? Fact is Renney has never benched or scratched Malik ever, again MALIK, I nor anybody else said other vets like Mara or Nylander.

so your using Renneys accountability based on ONE player?..Why do you avoid talking about other players that have been scratched when talking about accountability? it gives your argument (that made no sense a week ago no crediiblity..

Fact is Renney has benched vets in the past and when that was brought to your attention you brushed it off....

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 02:47 PM
  #54
McRanger
Registered User
 
McRanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,056
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
you mean the track record when he scratched Mara for 2 games this season...what about when Nylander has been scratched in the past?

Renney has scratched vets in the past....what track record are you talking about?
His track record of not scratching Malik, obviously. Renney has/had never been willing to sit Malik, either as a punishment or a means to get him back on his game when he is in one of his "turnovers-R-us" moods.

Not exactly rocket science.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 02:48 PM
  #55
mstraka82
 
mstraka82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 933
vCash: 500
i dont know i am kind of thinking it is a bad move, pock isnt soo great either i watched him up at UMASS for 4 years and still no impression, not even in the NHL, just give Malik a Break he is not soooo bad, everybody is to harsh on him.......

mstraka82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 02:49 PM
  #56
Son of Steinbrenner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 9,882
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
His track record of not scratching Malik, obviously. Renney has/had never been willing to sit Malik, either as a punishment or a means to get him back on his game when he is in one of his "turnovers-R-us" moods.

Not exactly rocket science.
you realize that sometimes (like last season) letting a guy play through his problems can work too right?

i know everybody wants to see a player embarassed and you guys need a scapegoat but you have no argument when it comes to accountability...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 02:51 PM
  #57
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 24,707
vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
so your using Renneys accountability based on ONE player?..Why do you avoid talking about other players that have been scratched when talking about accountability? it gives your argument (that made no sense a week ago no crediiblity..

Fact is Renney has benched vets in the past and when that was brought to your attention you brushed it off....
When talking about Malik though, Renney has refused to hold him accountable for his poor play. The statement FLY made "Given his track record..." spoke solely to his track record in dealing with Malik. Other players have nothing to do with it. Not discussing them does not make FLY's argument any less credible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
you realize that sometimes (like last season) letting a guy play through his problems can work too right?

i know everybody wants to see a player embarassed and you guys need a scapegoat but you have no argument when it comes to accountability...
Sure there's an argument to be made. You may disagree with it and denigrate it, but that doesn't mean there's no argument. Get over yourself.

__________________

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 02:52 PM
  #58
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 21,693
vCash: 500
Part of me wonders how much of this is "sitting Malik for his mistakes" and how much of it is placating Pock, and perhaps showcasing him.

That, or Malik has some nagging, undisclosed injury.

The main reason he wasn't sat before is that when he's actually playing well, he is a good player for the Rangers. But these slow starts are frustrating and ridiculous when this is now the third year he's played with the Rangers, and with the same partner. It's not like he's having to adjust to a new player.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 02:55 PM
  #59
Son of Steinbrenner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 9,882
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
When talking about Malik though, Renney has refused to hold him accountable for his poor play. The statement FLY made "Given his track record..." spoke solely to his track record in dealing with Malik. Other players have nothing to do with it. Not discussing them does not make FLY's argument any less credible.



Sure there's an argument to be made. You may disagree with it and denigrate it, but that doesn't mean there's no argument. Get over yourself.
A guy doesn't need to be scratched to be held a accountable..

also...

some of the options the past two years didn't make it possible for renney to scratch malik...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 03:03 PM
  #60
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 24,707
vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
A guy doesn't need to be scratched to be held a accountable..

also...

some of the options the past two years didn't make it possible for renney to scratch malik...
Well, if playing Malik 20 minutes a game through all of his struggles is Renney's way of holding a player accountable, then I guess I'm just flat-out wrong on this one.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 03:03 PM
  #61
McRanger
Registered User
 
McRanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,056
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
you realize that sometimes (like last season) letting a guy play through his problems can work too right?

i know everybody wants to see a player embarassed and you guys need a scapegoat but you have no argument when it comes to accountability...
Sometimes it works, and sometimes it works faster to sit a player and send a message that creating stupid lazy turnover after stupid lazy turnover is not acceptable.

I don't want Malik to be something he isn't. I don't cry that he is not physical or blame him for occasionally being outmatched by oppositions forwards. I just want him to decrease the amount of idiotic unforced turnovers he commits. I do not think that is too much to ask. And even after letting him play through his problems "worked" last year, he still seemed prone to bad timely (and mostly unforced) mistakes.

And I for one do not wish to see Malik embarrassed any more than he already embarrasses himself on the ice.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 03:24 PM
  #62
Son of Steinbrenner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 9,882
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
When talking about Malik though, Renney has refused to hold him accountable for his poor play. The statement FLY made "Given his track record..." spoke solely to his track record in dealing with Malik. Other players have nothing to do with it. Not discussing them does not make FLY's argument any less credible.



Sure there's an argument to be made. You may disagree with it and denigrate it, but that doesn't mean there's no argument. Get over yourself.
there is no argument about accountability that holds water on this board..

dude your daily insults don't bother me...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 03:30 PM
  #63
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck
 
FLYLine24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 32,052
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
so your using Renneys accountability based on ONE player?..Why do you avoid talking about other players that have been scratched when talking about accountability? it gives your argument (that made no sense a week ago no crediiblity..

Fact is Renney has benched vets in the past and when that was brought to your attention you brushed it off....
Um, yes I am. Because we are talking about one player named Malik. We are not talking about whether or not Renney has scratched other players in the past, we all know he has, but he never punishes Malik for poor play, until tonight. Which is the entire point that your missing.

So again, understand what people are talking about before going on something completely off topic that has no bearing on what we are talking about.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 03:56 PM
  #64
Son of Steinbrenner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 9,882
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Um, yes I am. Because we are talking about one player named Malik. We are not talking about whether or not Renney has scratched other players in the past, we all know he has, but he never punishes Malik for poor play, until tonight. Which is the entire point that your missing.

So again, understand what people are talking about before going on something completely off topic that has no bearing on what we are talking about.
yeah but you ASSuMEd that Renney wouldn't scratch Malik (and you were wrong) when all the evidence showed that Renney has no problem benching a player...

you want to use this one player as your example..which is fine...but it didnt' make you right..you were bashing renney for something renney planned on doing..when somebody like myself would say "hey we don't know what Renney is going to do" you acted like you knew the answer already...(when you didn't)

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 04:02 PM
  #65
chosen
Registered User
 
chosen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,008
vCash: 500
Malik never deserved to be sat before his poor showing this year. That is why he wasn't benched. Now he deserves it. The ignorant, self-defeating fans at the Garden will continue to boo him when he returns and they won't be satisfied until he is no longer a Ranger.

He was just fine last year despite the constant whining of fans who don't like big defensemen who don't hit. If he plowed guys he'd be a hero here and at MSG. That is why no physical player ever gets booed no matter how terrible he is and how much of a negative impact player he is. There may be an exception to this rule but I can't think of one. Can anyone else think of one?

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 04:09 PM
  #66
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 24,156
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Malik never deserved to be sat before his poor showing this year. That is why he wasn't benched. Now he deserves it. The ignorant, self-defeating fans at the Garden will continue to boo him when he returns and they won't be satisfied until he is no longer a Ranger.

He was just fine last year despite the constant whining of fans who don't like big defensemen who don't hit. If he plowed guys he'd be a hero here and at MSG. That is why no physical player ever gets booed no matter how terrible he is and how much of a negative impact player he is. There may be an exception to this rule but I can't think of one. Can anyone else think of one?
Good post, agreed .

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 04:39 PM
  #67
BwayBshirt
Registered User
 
BwayBshirt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: My NY State of Mind
Country: United States
Posts: 3,406
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Malik never deserved to be sat before his poor showing this year. That is why he wasn't benched. Now he deserves it. The ignorant, self-defeating fans at the Garden will continue to boo him when he returns and they won't be satisfied until he is no longer a Ranger.

He was just fine last year despite the constant whining of fans who don't like big defensemen who don't hit. If he plowed guys he'd be a hero here and at MSG. That is why no physical player ever gets booed no matter how terrible he is and how much of a negative impact player he is. There may be an exception to this rule but I can't think of one. Can anyone else think of one?
i also agree with chosen on this.

IMO until now, malik had not played poorly for a string of games. he would make a bad play here and there in otherwise unnoticeable performances and/or he would have a bad game and bounce back the next. and by bounce back i mean be normal, not a playmaker like one would generally associate with another type of player.

but this season is different. he's making mistakes and not rebounding well from them. and while the defense corps is less of a problem so far than the forwards production, enough is enough for right now.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 05:29 PM
  #68
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck
 
FLYLine24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 32,052
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
yeah but you ASSuMEd that Renney wouldn't scratch Malik (and you were wrong) when all the evidence showed that Renney has no problem benching a player...

you want to use this one player as your example..which is fine...but it didnt' make you right..you were bashing renney for something renney planned on doing..when somebody like myself would say "hey we don't know what Renney is going to do" you acted like you knew the answer already...(when you didn't)
Yes I did assume, and why shouldn't have I? Lets look at the facts:

1) Malik had some brutal games and stretches last season, never was he ever a healthy scratch.
2) Malik has taken brutal, lazy penalties in games, never has he missed a shift because of it.
3) Malik has had brutal periods this and last year, never did his ice time go down because of it.

So, yes, call me SHOCKED, completely SHOCKED that Renney finally decided to sit the log. And judging by other responses in here, im not the only one.

Where did I every say Renney doesn't bench other players though? Nowhere. I was bashing renney for not sitting MALIK. Nobody else. Yes other players have been benched and sat, and missed shifts for poor play (which you like to bring up every other post). But the entire point of my posting was Malik seems to go under the radar and Renney not holding him accountable for poor play and with no consequences.

Mara has a single bad game and hes in the press box for 2-3 games. Go figure.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 05:32 PM
  #69
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck
 
FLYLine24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 32,052
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Malik never deserved to be sat before his poor showing this year. That is why he wasn't benched. Now he deserves it. The ignorant, self-defeating fans at the Garden will continue to boo him when he returns and they won't be satisfied until he is no longer a Ranger.

He was just fine last year despite the constant whining of fans who don't like big defensemen who don't hit. If he plowed guys he'd be a hero here and at MSG. That is why no physical player ever gets booed no matter how terrible he is and how much of a negative impact player he is. There may be an exception to this rule but I can't think of one. Can anyone else think of one?
Yea, is that a surprise? Usually guys who play with heart and at 110% get cheered. That is nothing new.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 06:01 PM
  #70
polako
Registered User
 
polako's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 1,178
vCash: 500
I never thought I'd say this, but I agree with Fischler. Malik is unfairly maligned by the fans and he does not deserve to sit in the press box tonight any more than any other player on this team not named Lundqvist.

polako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 09:38 PM
  #71
chosen
Registered User
 
chosen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,008
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Yea, is that a surprise? Usually guys who play with heart and at 110% get cheered. That is nothing new.
Surprised to see that you think physical play equals heart but not that surprised. I guess Jagr has no heart either. You may not approve of Malik's game but to accuse him of not trying is beyond absurd.

Can you imagine if Malik had swatted at a puck that went over his head that led to a clean breakaway? Oh, was that Pock?

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 09:54 PM
  #72
Son of Steinbrenner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 9,882
vCash: 500
u guys look like geniuses...I can admit when I'm wrong n pock sure looked like an upgrade over malik....

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 10:15 PM
  #73
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck
 
FLYLine24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 32,052
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Surprised to see that you think physical play equals heart but not that surprised. I guess Jagr has no heart either. You may not approve of Malik's game but to accuse him of not trying is beyond absurd.

Can you imagine if Malik had swatted at a puck that went over his head that led to a clean breakaway? Oh, was that Pock?
Oh, so now your putting words in my mouth because you assume that from what I said only physcial players show heart? Ok then.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 10:15 PM
  #74
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck
 
FLYLine24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 32,052
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
u guys look like geniuses...I can admit when I'm wrong n pock sure looked like an upgrade over malik....
Pock played like crap. That was very obvious.

Malik sitting a game was still the right move. Maybe he'll wake up.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 10:48 PM
  #75
Son of Steinbrenner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 9,882
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Pock played like crap. That was very obvious.

Malik sitting a game was still the right move. Maybe he'll wake up.

or maybe the fans will..

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:42 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.