HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

La Presse columnist celebrates Habs loss

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-17-2007, 11:06 PM
  #76
MTL-rules
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 6,596
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
You are projecting. I've traveled a lot. I read. Let's take New York, which you seem to know utterly nothing about except that you might be able to find it on a map. George Steinbrenner, owner of the Yankees, is a staunch Republican. The fans, of which there are millions, are probably Democrats by a large majority. They don't even think about Steinbrenner's leanings or the fact that Rudolph Giuliani is a big Yankee fan. They accept Latinos from all over North and South America, blacks from the United States, farm boys from the South and Midwest, college players from California and Texas. They don't complain that this or that minority is underrepresented. No, mon ami, what I perceive in you is paranoid. No one is oppressing you if the team doesn't meet your personal quota of locals. I love the city of Montréal and its hockey team. I don't care about the ethnic makeup of the Habs. All I ask of it is that it wins. I have my favorite players but if they're traded I wouldn't stop caring about the team. How dare you come on this forum and inflict your narrowminded views on the rest of us! Why don't you find another forum that would be more sympathetic to your prejudices? There are a number of them out there. I know because I read them too. Je parle anglais et aussi français and I dabble in a couple of other languages as well. I have a sneaking suspicion that my French prose is more elegant than yours. Do you despise me because my ancestors didn't come over with Jacques Cartier? Is that your only claim to fame? Pathetic!
What’s wrong with you? Until then, it was a very polite debate and now you’re starting with these personal attacks on me, which are all untrue.

You don’t know me and you’re suggesting things that aren’t even remote of what I think. I’m imposing nothing, I’m just trying to put the debate in the right direction, which should not be a spots oriented one nor a xenophobic one…

I didn’t expressed really my true opinions during all that span…

I can’t believe you’re calling me a racist while I never showed anything like that… if someone is narrow minded here, it’s certainaly not me… now go to sleep…

MTL-rules is offline  
Old
10-17-2007, 11:07 PM
  #77
Transported Upstater
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Take care, all. :)
Country: United States
Posts: 22,983
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
It's different here because of the specific difference of Quebec (of course the majority of Canadians don't reconize it)...

Like I wrote earlier, you just can't compare the situation in Montreal to the one in Toronto or New York...

Since the 60's (and I could even say since 1763) there's "struggle" to keep our culture alive... it's all related...

I'm not asking you to agree with it, just to aknowledge it...
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that Quebec needs to "Struggle" to keep their culture alive at all. There are enough proud French Canadians that will keep the culture alive, forever, regardless of the influence of the rest of the country.

Canada will never lose its distinctive character. French Canada's in no danger, IMO. It's too established at this point, it couldn't possibly be erased or taken away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not The One View Post

Seriously, I wonder what the reaction from Toronto fans and media would be if the Leafs were a loosing team made up entirely of euros and nobody could speak english at all. I'll bet it wouldn't be long at all until people would start calling for a "good old canadian boy" to "shake things up".

But then that wouldn't be racism of course. The Leafs fans and media who spent years drooling over Eric Lindros were never called racists. The Habs fans who wish for Lecavalier, Luongo or Brière on the other hand...
Having fun swinging wildly there?

It seems you are not very familiar with my posting here, and I'm not going to take the time to explain it. I'll let another Habs fans explain to you how I mean no harm here, and never have, and that I share an affinity for the Habs and do not put down any Quebec culture in any way.

As for the rest of your post, it's so preposterous that I don't even know how to respond to it. What it is is an effort to change the topic by producing a fantastically irrelevant and off-topic comparison that is in no way an accurate or appropriate analogy to the present situation.


Last edited by Darz: 10-18-2007 at 10:17 AM. Reason: edit quote
Transported Upstater is offline  
Old
10-17-2007, 11:08 PM
  #78
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!
 
Gabe84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,762
vCash: 500
There are a lot of posters on HF boards that keep repeating how canadian players have more heart and passion for the game than euros... A lot of posters. I guess that's a nationality issue, right? So obviously we're not the only ones.

That said, the most important thing for me is having an exciting team to watch (which I think we have - now if we could just win more games!).

But then, you have to consider the situation of this province... I can understand the feeling of some people about the lack of french-canadian players on the team... Now, if this could all be done in a classy way, they'd gather a lot more sympathy for their cause.

Gabe84 is offline  
Old
10-17-2007, 11:09 PM
  #79
simz78
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 72
vCash: 500
Best thing with this thread is people talking about how they hate when a columnist talk about how there's no Quebec player, then going along doing the same thing and blasting only Quebec players, stupid peoples are everywhere i guess, it's not a Laporte exclusivity.

Btw, if there's no England player with Liverpool, their fans will complain about it, if there's no Spanish players in Madrid, their fans will complain about it, if there's no American player in the NYYankees, their fans will complain about it. Damn these peoples are all ****ing racist xenophobic idiots i guess...

Truth is, the Habs are in Quebec, they play in a french (quebec) market, their fanbase is mostly french from Quebec (m a r k e ke keting), it's not because french are better or a more powerfull race, weird how peoples easily make this misconception and then in the same breath blasting Quebec players (cocky, attitude whatever), associating all this with racism and superior race is plain ignorance.

simz78 is offline  
Old
10-17-2007, 11:10 PM
  #80
Not The One
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Montréal, Qc.
Posts: 1,460
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
Yes, that was a real struggle. Quebec went from a population of 70,000 in 1763 to 6 million in 1960 and 8 million as of the new millenium. When was Quebec's culture ever threatened? This is revisionist history. I heard this nonsense when I was growing up and I'm still hearing it?
What a pristine display of ignorance. 8 million francophones in the midst of 330 million anglophones. Do the math.

Not The One is online now  
Old
10-17-2007, 11:11 PM
  #81
Namso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,031
vCash: 500
This is the 21st century...sports are now international.

Only in Quebec do they care about nationality...seriously, did the Dodgers hate Eric Gagne bc he was french??? Do the suns hate Steve Nash bc he's canadian??? Did white ppl in chicago (and all u.s.) hate jordan because he was black??? Did they wish the team would lose???

There are a lot of media people out there who welcome and don't care where the player is from but unfortunately there are still some who would rather bring xenophobic views then accept change.

Namso is offline  
Old
10-17-2007, 11:11 PM
  #82
SOLR
Registered User
 
SOLR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto / North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,838
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transported Upstater View Post
When I first came on to the Montreal board, I was worried at how I might be received, seeing as I am a fan of a strongly hated rival. But people here don't view me as a Leafs fan...they view me as ME. You should be damn proud to be a Quebecois. Don't let any bigoted media members convince you otherwise. They're not the voice of you. You are.
I agree and I am proud, but when the voice of the journalist who have the paper space to print their text write such purely xenophobic stuff like that(ideologically very close to some of Hitler's concepts), we all look bad imo. It reflects badly on us and the worse part is, some people will read and agree on it because its on a paper, with a La Presse logo on it. They are not our voice, but they are our printer. (I'm in advertizing )

SOLR is offline  
Old
10-17-2007, 11:12 PM
  #83
simz78
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 72
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namso View Post
This is the 21st century...sports are now international.

Only in Quebec do they care about nationality...seriously, did the Dodgers hate Eric Gagne bc he was french??? Do the suns hate Steve Nash bc he's canadian??? Did white ppl in chicago (and all u.s.) hate jordan because he was black??? Did they wish the team would lose???

There are a lot of media people out there who welcome and don't care where the player is from but unfortunately there are still some who would rather bring xenophobic views then accept change.
You're part of the ignorant i guess... what if every players in the Dodgers would be south Koreans??? Get your comparison straight, go listen to a Don Cherry tape maybe...

simz78 is offline  
Old
10-17-2007, 11:13 PM
  #84
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 15,011
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
Laporte is a little handicap so I wouldn't start with these kind of insults...
Actually, his greatest disability is his warped thinking.

Teufelsdreck is offline  
Old
10-17-2007, 11:14 PM
  #85
SOLR
Registered User
 
SOLR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto / North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,838
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transported Upstater View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that Quebec needs to "Struggle" to keep their culture alive at all. There are enough proud French Canadians that will keep the culture alive, forever, regardless of the influence of the rest of the country.

Canada will never lose its distinctive character. French Canada's in no danger, IMO. It's too established at this point, it couldn't possibly be erased or taken away.
ahh 2,3 cookies points(with nutella) for Canada understanding beyond politician level. There's more strength left in us, than everyone seems willing to admit. Mastering the english language as a business language won't kill us.

SOLR is offline  
Old
10-17-2007, 11:16 PM
  #86
Transported Upstater
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Take care, all. :)
Country: United States
Posts: 22,983
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe84 View Post
There are a lot of posters on HF boards that keep repeating how canadian players have more heart and passion for the game than euros... A lot of posters. I guess that's a nationality issue, right? So obviously we're not the only ones.

That said, the most important thing for me is having an exciting team to watch (which I think we have - now if we could just win more games!).

But then, you have to consider the situation of this province... I can understand the feeling of some people about the lack of french-canadian players on the team... Now, if this could all be done in a classy way, they'd gather a lot more sympathy for their cause.
Here's the thing: All things being equal, what Habs fan wouldn't want more hometown heroes on the team?
But things are NEVER EQUAL. Two players are never the same. And the moment you take a second of time away from the real goal of getting the best team put together and decide to make an effort to find local talent you've already gone astray.

The only time local players should be given an active, true preference is for try-outs. You know, give the local kid a shot at his dream type-thing. That I can appreciate. But if you make an effort through trades, drafting, or other acquisitions to change the ethnic makeup of your team simply for ethnic/language reasons and not for style of play reasons...that's just not right. And it's not how the winners play the game.

It's one thing if you say "Hey, I want a gritty team." and then you go out and find gritty players, many of which happen to be Canadian. That's fine, IMO. That's fitting your team to a style, not a culture or language. But if you say "I want a team with more local players on it" and make an effort to accomplish that goal by diverting attention from the real goal...then you've already lost.

Transported Upstater is offline  
Old
10-17-2007, 11:18 PM
  #87
onice
Registered User
 
onice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 6,215
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=Not The One;10817179]What a pristine display of ignorance. 8 million francophones in the midst of 330 million anglophones. Do the math. [/QUOTe

If you were really drowning in a sea of devouring anglos how did you go from 70,000 to 8 million? I did the math. It's time for you to practice some numbers.

onice is offline  
Old
10-17-2007, 11:22 PM
  #88
MTL-rules
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 6,596
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
Yes, that was a real struggle. Quebec went from a population of 70,000 in 1763 to 6 million in 1960 and 8 million as of the new millenium. When was Quebec's culture ever threatened? This is revisionist history. I heard this nonsense when I was growing up and I'm still hearing it?
Revisionist theory, where did you got that... that's related to anti-holocaust thinking???

It has nothing to do with paranoia...I don't know what kind of history courses you took but it was more than once the "official" goal to annex, assimilate French-canadians... what happen to Louis Riel (outside of Quebec) is a prime exemple...

Again, those are known facts, your the one who's "revisionist" and I'm not trying to say it was good or not, I'm just trying to set the "cultural" background for all of this...

MTL-rules is offline  
Old
10-17-2007, 11:25 PM
  #89
Not The One
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Montréal, Qc.
Posts: 1,460
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transported Upstater View Post
Having fun swinging wildly there?

It seems you are not very familiar with my posting here, and I'm not going to take the time to explain it. I'll let another Habs fans explain to you how I mean no harm here, and never have, and that I share an affinity for the Habs and do not put down any Quebec culture in any way.

As for the rest of your post, it's so preposterous that I don't even know how to respond to it. What it is is an effort to change the topic by producing a fantastically irrelevant and off-topic comparison that is in no way an accurate or appropriate analogy to the present situation.
You are quite right in a way. It is impossible for the Leafs not to have any canadians, or english speakers. A few years ago, francophone Habs fans would have thought the same thing about their own team.

Like it or not, sport fans often come to develop a strong bond to "their" team, especially when they are in the same city. The habs had always been Quebec's team, the only one (except for the Nords of course) whose fans spoke a language other than english. As the number of local players on the team continues to go down, a little bit of that bond is wearing off. I hope I'm wrong, but I really wonder how the support is going to be twenty years from now, when the glory days will be long gone.

Not The One is online now  
Old
10-17-2007, 11:27 PM
  #90
MTL-rules
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 6,596
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transported Upstater View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that Quebec needs to "Struggle" to keep their culture alive at all. There are enough proud French Canadians that will keep the culture alive, forever, regardless of the influence of the rest of the country.

Canada will never lose its distinctive character. French Canada's in no danger, IMO. It's too established at this point, it couldn't possibly be erased or taken away.

Well, there's a reason why I wrote struggle between " " (what's the word in english?)

Some people think it's still a struggle...while I wouldn't define it as a "struggle" there's surely still a concern about it...

MTL-rules is offline  
Old
10-17-2007, 11:29 PM
  #91
Not The One
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Montréal, Qc.
Posts: 1,460
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=onice;10817280]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not The One View Post
What a pristine display of ignorance. 8 million francophones in the midst of 330 million anglophones. Do the math. [/QUOTe

If you were really drowning in a sea of devouring anglos how did you go from 70,000 to 8 million? I did the math. It's time for you to practice some numbers.
It's more than a little bit sad that you live in Montreal and are that ignorant about Quebec history and society. Go read a book, learn something. Of course that would require an open mind.

Not The One is online now  
Old
10-17-2007, 11:32 PM
  #92
Namso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,031
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by simz78 View Post
You're part of the ignorant i guess... what if every players in the Dodgers would be south Koreans??? Get your comparison straight, go listen to a Don Cherry tape maybe...
Yeah and look at the NBA, most of the teams hardly have a single white american...are people complaining??? and those that are, are usually doing it on some random internet blog which everyone ignores, not on national newspapers like La Presse.

Look at the NFL, the majority of the players aren't white american. Again its really not an issue.

I never understood Quebec's hate against everyone but themselves.

Namso is offline  
Old
10-17-2007, 11:34 PM
  #93
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 15,011
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
What’s wrong with you? Until then, it was a very polite debate and now you’re starting with these personal attacks on me, which are all untrue.

You don’t know me and you’re suggesting things that aren’t even remote of what I think. I’m imposing nothing, I’m just trying to put the debate in the right direction, which should not be a spots oriented one nor a xenophobic one…

I didn’t expressed really my true opinions during all that span…

I can’t believe you’re calling me a racist while I never showed anything like that… if someone is narrow minded here, it’s certainaly not me… now go to sleep…
Dormez-vous, mon petit. I can't find the word racist in my post. Can you? I'd be much obliged if you'd point it out. Besides, you don't understand the meaning of "racist." You and I are probably of the same "race" unless you're Africain. The only way I insulted you is to tell you that I'm better educated and more cosmopolitan than you, which is a pretty safe assumption on my part because of your narrowmindedness and ignorance of other North American cities. I don't claim to be better educated than everyone who lives in Montréal and I have friends who are true philosophes and whom I admire greatly. Now, when you say you refrained from expressing your "true feelings", I shudder to think of the venom you would secrete if you did so.

Teufelsdreck is offline  
Old
10-17-2007, 11:37 PM
  #94
Galchenyuk x 27
Registered User
 
Galchenyuk x 27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,837
vCash: 1976
Im so sick of hearing we need french canadians on this team, that would make us better. Thats such BS. what we need is high end talent, weather they be from Quebec, Russia or Ethiopia.

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline  
Old
10-17-2007, 11:37 PM
  #95
MTL-rules
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 6,596
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namso View Post
I never understood Quebec's hate against everyone but themselves.
You're way out of line here, straight out of Mordicai Richler, Quebec is as open a society as anyone else. Racism, while it exist like any society, is far from being common... There's a ton of research on the matter...

And btw, there's a lot of critics that say that we hate even more Quebecers that succeed (think Celine Dion) than anyone else...

MTL-rules is offline  
Old
10-17-2007, 11:38 PM
  #96
Erik Estrada
Registered User
 
Erik Estrada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,861
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
Well, there's a reason why I wrote struggle between " " (what's the word in english?)

Some people think it's still a struggle...while I wouldn't define it as a "struggle" there's surely still a concern about it...
What I find pathetic is the disproportionate energy on hockey that certain people display to dissipate this concern.

Erik Estrada is offline  
Old
10-17-2007, 11:38 PM
  #97
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 15,011
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
They just want to sell more newspaper.
Beyond that, they want personal publicity and the opportunity make a lot of money out of their demagoguery.

Teufelsdreck is offline  
Old
10-17-2007, 11:38 PM
  #98
simz78
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 72
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namso View Post
Yeah and look at the NBA, most of the teams hardly have a single white american...are people complaining??? and those that are, are usually doing it on some random internet blog which everyone ignores, not on national newspapers like La Presse.

Look at the NFL, the majority of the players aren't white american. Again its really not an issue.

I never understood Quebec's hate against everyone but themselves.
black? white? You clearly don't get it. Black, White = race. Quebecers, Americans, Russians, Scottish, Chinese, Irish, South African, Canadians = nationality, go back to school... You never understood Quebec's hate against everyone, cause you made it up in your own mind. Or maybe you hate Quebecers yourself... no i guess not.

simz78 is offline  
Old
10-17-2007, 11:40 PM
  #99
onice
Registered User
 
onice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 6,215
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=Not The One;10817411]
Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post

It's more than a little bit sad that you live in Montreal and are that ignorant about Quebec history and society. Go read a book, learn something. Of course that would require an open mind.
Wait a sec. You telling me I got my facts wrong? In 1763 there weren't 70,000. What do your history books tell? There were 70 million and instead of increasing, the Quebec population decreased to 8 million. Is that what you're telling me?

onice is offline  
Old
10-17-2007, 11:42 PM
  #100
Namso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,031
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by simz78 View Post
black? white? You clearly don't get it. Black, White = race. Quebecers, Americans, Russians, Scottish, Chinese, Irish, South African, Canadians = nationality, go back to school... You never understood Quebec's hate against everyone, cause you made it up in your own mind. Or maybe you hate Quebecers yourself... no i guess not.
Maybe you don't understand, but a lot of white americans find black americans as a different culture from them, just like Quebecers think the rest of canada is different from them.

Namso is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:40 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.