HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Top Three Rangers of All Time

Old
10-18-2007, 01:13 PM
GarretJoseph

vCash: 500
Being a fan since 90'

Graves - Messier - Jagr - Leetch - BEAUKEBOOOOOOM

GarretJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 02:29 PM
JerseyRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by london ranger View Post
he may replace Giacomin but he is not replacing Richter.

when I think Moose - I first think Oilers!
when I think Gretz - Oilers

when I think Park - Bruins

Park doesn't make sense. Just like Moose's best years where with the Oil, Parks best years where with the Rangers. Came up as a rook with the Rangers and played many, great years with them. Heck, many fans forget he even spent time with the Bruins. If it wasn't for Brian Leetch, a discussion of the Rangers greatest d-men would begin and end with Park!

Mess I think is an interesting case. Just like Clemens, Mess left a huge mark on two franchises. Statistically he had his best years in Edmonton (although his first 3 or 4 years in a Rangers uniform where pretty impressive). Although Leetch may have won the Conn Smythe in 94, Mess was the glue that held that team together, especially in Game 6 and during the finals when Keenan decided to interview with the Blues. For that season alone he, in my opinion, deserves to be included as one of the great Rangers of all time.

JerseyRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 02:43 PM
oldtimer

Been a fan since '55

1. Leetch
2. Bathgate
3. Giacomin/Richter

oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 02:45 PM
Fletch

Why does it matter...

where Mess had his best years, so long as he had great years with the Rangers? Aren't we talking about All Time Rangers, and thus guys who were the best Rangers? You can argue that the guy who led the team in scoring in four of his first six seasons, and second in the other two seasons, is not worthy, but saying his best years were with the Oilers (mostly playing with better players). The guy played in what, 10 seasons as a Ranger? I'm sure his 80 playoff points also rank up there too.

Chosen - think you're selling Mess short on the Cup run. He did his part pretty well. Richter did his part pretty well. Mess came away with 30 points in total, and he didn't do so bad against that memorable game against the Devils when the team's backs seemed against the wall. Leetch deserved the Conn Smythe, no doubt, but Mess was pretty helpful too.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 04:01 PM
JerseyRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
where Mess had his best years, so long as he had great years with the Rangers? Aren't we talking about All Time Rangers, and thus guys who were the best Rangers? You can argue that the guy who led the team in scoring in four of his first six seasons, and second in the other two seasons, is not worthy, but saying his best years were with the Oilers (mostly playing with better players). The guy played in what, 10 seasons as a Ranger? I'm sure his 80 playoff points also rank up there too.

Chosen - think you're selling Mess short on the Cup run. He did his part pretty well. Richter did his part pretty well. Mess came away with 30 points in total, and he didn't do so bad against that memorable game against the Devils when the team's backs seemed against the wall. Leetch deserved the Conn Smythe, no doubt, but Mess was pretty helpful too.
Your right -- it doesn't matter. I've been a Ranger fan since the mid 70's and going back all those years I can't think of a player that I would rather have in blue. Leetch was amazing as was Park in his day but Mess certainly ranks way up there.

JerseyRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 05:41 PM
mti79

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
Being a fan since 90'

Graves - Messier - Jagr - Leetch - BEAUKEBOOOOOOM
That's a hell of a line to put on the ice...

Anways:
1. Sandy McCarthy
2. Peter Popovic
3. Bobby Holik

Ok, how about Leetch, Richter and like people said, you can put a lot of people here. I've been a fan since the mid 80's but was too young to remember all the names. I'll say Messier only because he did what no other Rangers captain did in 54 years. He delivered the Stanley Cup.

mti79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 05:45 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mti79 View Post
That's a hell of a line to put on the ice...

Anways:
1. Sandy McCarthy
2. Peter Popovic
3. Bobby Holik

Ok, how about Leetch, Richter and like people said, you can put a lot of people here. I've been a fan since the mid 80's but was too young to remember all the names. I'll say Messier only because he did what no other Rangers captain did in 54 years. He delivered the Stanley Cup.
HA Peter Popovic, what about the immortal Rumun Ndur?

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 10:43 PM
shoeshine5

1. Richter
2. Leetch
3. Messier

shoeshine5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2007, 01:27 AM
rickyrod

Most of the greatest players to put on a Rangers sweater were pretty much mercenaries brought in to do a job (selling tickets being that job), as MSG Vault aside, my first season watching was 90-91, so it's really hard to say. Mabe having your number retired should be the prerequisite. Which would discount guys like Gretzky and Lafleur, clearly.

If we use the baseball rule of what team you would go into the hall for, Leetch is a lock. Would Messier's 1 cup here trump his 5 in Edmonton? He doesn't coach the Junior Oilers, he coaches the Junior Rangers, so you'd have to assume yes, it does. So, Messier. I've never seen Steady Eddie or Gilbert play (apart from clips). So, I have to go with Ricky.

Or I could just say Fitiou, Domi and Kocur and leave it at that.

rickyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2007, 05:53 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

Park, Leetch, Gilbert/Bathgate. No particular order. Messier had a fine first tour, too short for consideration IMO.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2007, 06:20 AM
NYRJurgen88

Send a message via MSN to NYRJurgen88
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
HA Peter Popovic, what about the immortal Rumun Ndur?
Rumun Ndur plays here in the UK now, think he was at a 'mighty' team called Coventry Blaze...he even looks rubbish in this country!!! how the hell that guy played in the NHL i'll never ever know..

NYRJurgen88 is offline   Reply With Quote