HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What would it take to land Kovalev?

Old
10-18-2007, 01:23 PM
Modo
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50

Dallas has some serious issues offensively, I wouldn't mind if they took a chance on Kovalev, since he doesn't seem to happy in Montreal and might want a change of scenery. Does he have a NTC?

What would Dallas have to give up to get him? Something along the lines of a deal involving Boucher?

10-18-2007, 01:24 PM
LeHab

vCash: 500
Ribeiro

LeHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 01:25 PM
penopekoo

a runway and some air traffic controllers HA HA HA

penopekoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 01:26 PM
24cups1team

Send a message via MSN to 24cups1team
Quote:
Originally Posted by persh View Post
Ribeiro
fixed

24cups1team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 01:26 PM
Rayne*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Dallas has some serious issues offensively, I wouldn't mind if they took a chance on Kovalev, since he doesn't seem to happy in Montreal and might want a change of scenery. Does he have a NTC?

What would Dallas have to give up to get him? Something along the lines of a deal involving Boucher?
Kovalev does not have an NTC. I'd jump on a Boucher for Kovalev deal. Our D corps would get a significant boost.

Rayne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 01:27 PM
Modo
Mo'Benn

Quote:
Originally Posted by persh View Post
Ribeiro
Well that's one of the reasons why Montreal and Dallas might swing another deal. With Gainey and Guy's history in Dallas, the two sides might be able to help eachother out and reach another agreement.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 01:27 PM
Modo
Mo'Benn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVX2K7 View Post
Kovalev does not have an NTC. I'd jump on a Boucher for Kovalev deal. Our D corps would get a significant boost.
What's his contract status, then, how many years left?

Old
10-18-2007, 01:28 PM
westcoast habsfan

Quote:

He does have an NTC, and unfortunately, Habs roster is thin on offence as well. We also don't need another defenceman, even though I like Boucher and he could probably help our PP.

Stay tuned though. If the Kovy/Carbo thing explodes again may be we think about it, or if the Habs have an awful October maybe we think about it. For now though, we really can't afford to lose him, it doesn't look like this team is going to score a lot, and right now he's our best forward.

westcoast habsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 01:29 PM
un_lavalois*

Quote:
I Love Kovy but Boucher would be a crazy addition to Our defense, Kovalev also has a LOT of chemistry with Ribeiro. Good trade for both teams, if you have an enforcer also to add in the deal, we could add a "prospect"

un_lavalois* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 01:30 PM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Quote:
Our D is pretty deep right now.

The problem I see with us is that both teams are looking for the same thing: offense.

fufonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 01:31 PM
kernkraft

Sorry but there are no players in Dallas that could possibly interest us. We are set in nets and on defense. We need offense which is what your team is seeking as well.

I don't see a deal happening unless Gainey has another brain cramp and pulls a Ribeiro-for-Niinimaa kind of deal.

kernkraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoast habsfan View Post
He does have an NTC, and unfortunately, Habs roster is thin on offence as well. We also don't need another defenceman, even though I like Boucher and he could probably help our PP.

Stay tuned though. If the Kovy/Carbo thing explodes again may be we think about it, or if the Habs have an awful October maybe we think about it. For now though, we really can't afford to lose him, it doesn't look like this team is going to score a lot, and right now he's our best forward.
No he doesn't...AFAIK, Koivu and Smolinski are the only players on our team with NTCs.

Kovalev has one more year after this one at 4.5m per.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
westcoast habsfan

Quote:
What's his contract status, then, how many years left?
He's got one more year after this year at $4.5 million - that's his salary and his cap hit. The summer of 2009 he's UFA again.

Old
10-18-2007, 01:33 PM
Modo
Mo'Benn

Quote:
Originally Posted by fufonzo View Post

The problem I see with us is that both teams are looking for the same thing: offense.
For what it's worth, Boucher was 3rd in goals by a d-man last year with 19, including 12 PPG's. So he'd definitely help out offensively.

Old
10-18-2007, 01:38 PM
westcoast habsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
No he doesn't...AFAIK, Koivu and Smolinski are the only players on our team with NTCs.
Okay, well, obviously I could be wrong. I thought Kovalev signed an NTC when he signed with the Habs just after the lock-out. Is there anyway to confirm that?

I'm pretty sure Dandy has a partial NTC. He signed for 4 years as well, and I believe he has an NTC for the first three years of his deal. The Habs are free to trade him after this season if that's the case.

But, I'm trying to remember from more than two years ago.

Old
10-18-2007, 01:40 PM
Poochie_D

The trade one have to be

Boucher for Kovalev and Boullion/Gorges. We have too many defensemen right now.

Poochie_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 01:41 PM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
For what it's worth, Boucher was 3rd in goals by a d-man last year with 19, including 12 PPG's. So he'd definitely help out offensively.
How's his defense, though? For me, I still think we're ok for offense from the back-end, even with losing Souray. But seeing Hamrlik play, I'd love to see another capable lock-down guy on the blueline. Is Norstrom playing good D/available at all?

Otherwise, what I think we need is grit up front. Ideally, it would be grit that could score at least a bit. But I reckon Dallas isn't throwing any of that our way. So, failing that, if Barch or Fedoruk continue to be used somewhat sparingly, is either of them good enough to add some toughness to our 4th line, as something of a throw-in to the defenseman? Boucher/Norstrom + Barch/Fedoruk... that's kind of a fair-ish structure IMHO.

Except again, we also need scoring pretty badly too, and Kovalev helps generate a good bit of offensive pressure for us. I think he'd have to go much further off the rails than his latest "Timeout Scandal" for us to be able to trade him and open up a hole in that part of the lineup, even if trading him helped address some other concerns. (Right now, those concerns are lesser ones for us compared to scoring, however).

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 01:42 PM
westcoast habsfan

Quote:
Yeah, there's no question he'd help replace Souray on our PP, and would fit in nicely with Hamrlik. We already have 8 defenceman on our roster though and one defenceman who was sent to the AHL simply because he didn't have to clear waivers, even though he probably should be on the team.

It's a tough call right now. If some our young forwards blossom over the next month it makes the trade far more palpable for us.

Old
10-18-2007, 01:46 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoast habsfan View Post
Okay, well, obviously I could be wrong. I thought Kovalev signed an NTC when he signed with the Habs just after the lock-out. Is there anyway to confirm that?

I'm pretty sure Dandy has a partial NTC. He signed for 4 years as well, and I believe he has an NTC for the first three years of his deal. The Habs are free to trade him after this season if that's the case.

But, I'm trying to remember from more than two years ago.
I thought there was a site that compiled them but this is all I could find

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=1...1&postcount=57

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 01:52 PM
Stradale

Quote:
Dallas has some serious issues offensively
Habs too, trading Kovalev will get even worse.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 01:56 PM
beerbelly

I prefer to keep Kovalev. Boucher is not the player we need. I would take Morrow but I know Dallas would never do that

beerbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 01:58 PM
Dr_Hook

Quote:
a phone call.

Dr_Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 02:03 PM
Rayne*

Quote:
Originally Posted by fufonzo View Post

It can never be too deep. A top 4 of Markov, Komi, Hamrlik, and Boucher would be as good a top 4 as any in the NHL.

Rayne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 02:15 PM
MathMan

Quote:
It can never be too deep. A top 4 of Markov, Komi, Hamrlik, and Boucher would be as good a top 4 as any in the NHL.
Yes, but it would seriously thin down the Habs' scoring up front, which is already a serious problem. Kovalev has two goals and four points, which is as many as any forward on the team. The Habs need Kovalev more than they need Boucher.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 02:36 PM
Artie

Quote:

I'm not really sure there is a deal to be made. If the Habs move Kovalev they need to replace him with a top 6 fwd. The reason the Stars would want to get Kovalev is because they need top 6 talent. Unless a Modano or Morrow has fallen out of grace in Dallas, I just do not see Dal and Mtl as trade partners, unless it's a straight salary dump and Dallas is sending prospects and draft picks. Which would mean that MTL then has to find offensive help elsewhere.

Artie is offline   Reply With Quote