HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Call up Brassard...

Old
10-18-2007, 09:04 PM
markzab

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to markzab
Call up Brassard...

Ok, I know it's not a common thing to have a rookie centering a teams top line but I really think this kid would be amazing, now, in between Nash and Zherdev. Already in 4 games in the AHL he has 3 goals and 4 assists. I really think this team should bring him up, not to test him on the 4th line, but actually use him on the 1st.

Nash-Brassard-Zherdev
Federov-Peca-Vbyorny

Sorry, I'm not sure about which players normally play what position on that 2nd line but I'd be VERY interested in seeing both those lines on the ice. Speed.

markzab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 09:08 PM
blahblah

Man wasn't there like 90% of this board saying we should be patient with our youngsters and there was no way in hell that Russell and Brassard were going to be ready? There was even a group that wanted Brule to get some seasoning.

Brule, Russell, and Bole are up here and now were getting a growing minority that want Brassard...

Suddenly we are pro-prospect, get there arse up here.

I can't keep up....

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 09:20 PM
Ludicrous Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post

Brule, Russell, and Bole are up here and now were getting a growing minority that want Brassard...
im gonna ignore that

but any way..

i dont think we should call him up yet...we need to try fritsche between the two cause he was doin it well last year before he got hurt..and if fritsche doesnt work out then try brule...we drafted him to be a top six guy

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 09:24 PM
hashmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitbasketer743 View Post
im gonna ignore that
Man, you need some work with your 'ignore' skills We all knew what he meant didn't we?

Quote:
i dont think we should call him up yet...we need to try fritsche between the two cause he was doin it well last year before he got hurt..and if fritsche doesnt work out then try brule...we drafted him to be a top six guy
Fritsche between Nash and Z? Fritsche was an excellent third line player last year. It was the best he played. He is struggling with 12 minutes a night right now, I don't see him vaulting head and shoulders above where he was at his best last year and be able to center those two.

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 09:39 PM
Ludicrous Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by willien View Post
Man, you need some work with your 'ignore' skills We all knew what he meant didn't we?

Fritsche between Nash and Z? Fritsche was an excellent third line player last year. It was the best he played. He is struggling with 12 minutes a night right now, I don't see him vaulting head and shoulders above where he was at his best last year and be able to center those two.
1. yea but i just love boll so much that that is unacceptable

2. not sure if he was between nash and Z but he centered the top line right before he got hurt..and its worth a shot, everyone gets their bite of the apple

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 10:01 PM
markzab

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitbasketer743 View Post
1. yea but i just love boll so much that that is unacceptable

2. not sure if he was between nash and Z but he centered the top line right before he got hurt..and its worth a shot, everyone gets their bite of the apple
To the first guy who responded, I'm a Flyers fan who follows Zherdev so I really don't count towards the majority of your boards.

And to the above...

Aren't you guys tired of giving guys a shot? Obviously you need a playmaking center. Ive seen many of the members here saying that same thing. I've been following Brassard since he was drafted and he's more of a playmaker than any other player on this team. Please don't think I'm putting the team down saying that, but really, it's just how it is. If you're going to give someone a shot do it with someone who has the potential to make it a bullseye.

Man, I can't imagine how sick Brassard would be dishing the puck off to Nash and Zherdev.

Old
10-19-2007, 12:02 AM
Doug61*

Never have never will be a fan of Fritsche. I'd rather have Leclaire centering the top line than fritsche. we saw fritsche's cap last year he will never be better than that.

Doug61* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2007, 12:04 AM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
Quote:
Originally Posted by CirclevilleJacket View Post
Never have never will be a fan of Fritsche. I'd rather have Leclaire centering the top line than fritsche. we saw fritsche's cap last year he will never be better than that.
That's kind of unfair, considering his season was shortened by a freak injury.

As for Brassard, the longer he's in Syracuse, the better...for both the big club and the Crunch.

Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2007, 12:14 AM
markzab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
That's kind of unfair, considering his season was shortened by a freak injury.

As for Brassard, the longer he's in Syracuse, the better...for both the big club and the Crunch.
6 helpers in as many games in training camp and with how he's playing in the AHL now...

Only a matter of time until he's called up.

Old
10-19-2007, 12:23 AM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
Quote:
Originally Posted by markzab View Post
6 helpers in as many games in training camp and with how he's playing in the AHL now...

Only a matter of time until he's called up.
I wouldn't be shocked, especially if he keeps up his current pace.

I thought he should have been give at LEAST one pre season game between Nash and Zherdev/Vyborny but he never got it. He was on a line with Chimera and Voracek.

The biggest thing holding Brassard back is the Hitchcock not wanting to play kids on the top 2 lines at center. He specifically said he hasn't given Brule or Fritsche and chance to center the top line because he feels it's too much for a young player.

Maybe Brassard's talent is enough to overcome that. But it is too early to declare anything like this.

Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2007, 12:29 AM
Doug61*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
I wouldn't be shocked, especially if he keeps up his current pace.

I thought he should have been give at LEAST one pre season game between Nash and Zherdev/Vyborny but he never got it. He was on a line with Chimera and Voracek.

The biggest thing holding Brassard back is the Hitchcock not wanting to play kids on the top 2 lines at center. He specifically said he hasn't given Brule or Fritsche and chance to center the top line because he feels it's too much for a young player.

Maybe Brassard's talent is enough to overcome that. But it is too early to declare anything like this.
Part of me thought that Hitch was afraid that Brassard would do very good centering nash's line and that there would be to much pressure to keep him up here. I think that before this season started Hitch already had it in his mind that Brassard wasn't centering that top line period. It's just to fishy/weird that they wouldn't even try Nash Brassard Zherdev man that future #1 line looks good doesn't it.

Old
10-19-2007, 06:48 AM
hashmarks

Quote:
Part of me thought that Hitch was afraid that Brassard would do very good centering nash's line and that there would be to much pressure to keep him up here. I think that before this season started Hitch already had it in his mind that Brassard wasn't centering that top line period. It's just to fishy/weird that they wouldn't even try Nash Brassard Zherdev man that future #1 line looks good doesn't it.
Brassard had 1 point in his last four pre-season games--you know, the ones where we actually faced a roster of NHL players.

I think both Hitch and Howson were dying to see that guy carry the torch for that position, but they obviously saw that some time in the AHL would do him some good.

He will get his chance soon enough.

Old
10-19-2007, 06:50 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
For those who listen to Cannon Fodder some believe there is a firm H&H plan..... My interpretation of what they said is, stay at .500 at all costs and assess the offense after 20 or 30 games. If a #1 forward on the roster can't be discovered bring up Brassard and hope for the best until next year...... NO TRADES ALLOWED.

My comment, ole battle tested Hitch is at his wits end with his roster but is being a good soldier and doing the best he can..... Clearly, we are short on experienced offensive talent, but there is some hope, our defense and goaltending appear to be decent which is a good first step. And for a big positive, our PK is blowing my mind.......3rd or 4th in the league and a total special team % of 101 is outstanding....

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2007, 07:16 AM
hashmarks

Quote:
we saw fritsche's cap last year he will never be better than that.
I liked Fritsche for what he is/was: a solid third line player. There is nothing wrong with that. Some great players in this league have been 3rd liners their entire career, Kris Draper is one that stands out.

People need to stop thinking that he is going to be more than that because he isn't. He doesn't have the hands to be a playmaking center.

Old
10-19-2007, 08:10 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

I just thought it was interesting that H&H said that Brassard was our best center in training camp, then promptly sent him to the Cuse. The entire Canadian NHL media thought this kid was a sure bet to make the team. They even listed him as a Calder candidate, until he was sent down, at which point his name was removed from the list.

Having said that, sending him down for some seasoning isn't all bad. I am still guessing somewhere between 20-30 games if he keeps producing he will be called up.

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2007, 10:24 AM
The Dancin' Beaver

Send a message via Yahoo to The Dancin' Beaver
Hitch has said repeatedly that this is an "evaluation period." That tells me that he is doing everything he can to figure out who and what he really has to work with. Leaving Brass in Syracuse for now is the high percentage play because it allows him to play a key role and polish his game while Hitch continues to try other options. If Brass were in Columbus, he would have to be a healthy scratch or play on another line for Hitch to experiment with the top line. On top of that, another forward would have to be sent down to make a space for him. I think we have a pretty good idea what Brassard is going to bring once he adjusts to playing with men but what about Glencross, Fritsche, Novotny, or Brule?

Leave Brassard in Syracuse. Let him learn and grow while we find out if one of the many former first rounders on our roster can live up to their potential when given the opportunity. Being in the AHL is not hurting him and it gives us a chance to evaluate the rest of the team.

Patience Grasshopper, patience. IMO Brass will be up before the All-Star break or just after and we will get a look at the "line of the future."

The Dancin' Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2007, 06:15 PM
Doug61*

Quote:
Originally Posted by willien View Post
I liked Fritsche for what he is/was: a solid third line player. There is nothing wrong with that. Some great players in this league have been 3rd liners their entire career, Kris Draper is one that stands out.

People need to stop thinking that he is going to be more than that because he isn't. He doesn't have the hands to be a playmaking center.
That's exactly my point. He's a 3rd line guy. People want to look at his goals last year he did have a bunch of game tiers (sp?) and game winners if i remember correctly but other than that he's a checking guy who works hard to the net no a set up guy for skilled players. He seems like a guy that is built to play on a line with 2 other checkers that just go to the net. Isn't now and never will be a top 6 caliber forward and like you said there's nothing wrong with it.

Old
10-20-2007, 12:56 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

No, Brassard would play only about 10 minutes in fourth line.

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2007, 01:13 PM
TheFiveHoleExpress

Send a message via Yahoo to TheFiveHoleExpress
First time poster, long time reader.

I read this on the Crunch site and thought it interesting....

"Popperle looks like hes on his game and Brassard is a great young hockey player that has great hockey sense and is adapting more quickly to the pro game than maybe we had anticipated. Howson on what Crunch players have impressed him early on this season. -quote from Howson

Think he will be called up soon? He has had atleast a point in every game, and from what i have read, seems to be holding his own. I know there is a large leap from the AHL to the NHL, but i don't think he even got a shot to center Zherdev and Nash. It couldn't hurt, maybe for a few games. Just my 2 cents.

TheFiveHoleExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2007, 01:21 PM
darrmd

To bring Brassard up we would have to move somebody, either to the AHL, to IR or in a trade correct.

darrmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2007, 01:27 PM
TheFiveHoleExpress

Send a message via Yahoo to TheFiveHoleExpress
Correct,

I think we should move Brule, don't get me wrong....he has played hard and well at times this season, but i think we would get better production in a line up with Brassard at this point. I know they wouldn't be playing on the same line, but i think we would be a better team with Brassard.

TheFiveHoleExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2007, 01:33 PM
Bobs Tuna Melt

Quote:
Originally Posted by markzab View Post
Already in 4 games in the AHL he has 3 goals and 4 assists.
After 6 games, he is 3-6-9. Not bad.

If they do bring him up, he isn't going to be playing on the 4th line. Not with 9 points in 6 games!

Bobs Tuna Melt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2007, 01:51 PM
Jeffrey99

I say send Glencross down & bring up Brassard. Glencross really hasn't done much so far, why not give Brassard a shot.

Jeffrey99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2007, 02:05 PM
Aucoin3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Man wasn't there like 90% of this board saying we should be patient with our youngsters and there was no way in hell that Russell and Brassard were going to be ready? There was even a group that wanted Brule to get some seasoning.

Suddenly we are pro-prospect, get there arse up here.

I can't keep up....
Well I'm from NY and only tune into the occassional Blue Jackets game to watch Nash but from what I've seen I dont think it would be such a bad idea to send Brule down. He doesnt seem to have anything going and its not a good idea to kill a top prospect like Brule by forcing 3rd/4th lin NHL minutes on him.

Aucoin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2007, 02:09 PM
Aucoin3

I know that Vyborny is a wing but why not try him at center. He is defensively sound and I dont thinke he would have a hard time adjusting to playing the high slot on offense and low slot on defense. Faceoffs would be my largest concern but who is to say that he cant pick up that skill?

Aucoin3 is offline   Reply With Quote