HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Call up Brassard...

Old
10-22-2007, 02:16 PM
CapnCornelius

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aucoin3 View Post
I know that Vyborny is a wing but why not try him at center. He is defensively sound and I dont thinke he would have a hard time adjusting to playing the high slot on offense and low slot on defense. Faceoffs would be my largest concern but who is to say that he cant pick up that skill?
Tried it last year. I think its worth a try again--Vybes played center in Europe. Can't be any worse than Modin or Zherdev at center.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2007, 02:24 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
If I had to guess the H&H new culture are talking about Brassard as I type....although I believe they were planning on bringing him up after 20 or 30 games anyway it might be wise to do it now.... as much as I hate bailing on Brule he really has shown no improvement over last season....his spot is the one I would use for Brassard.

We have to do something to change the inept Blue Jacket offense....we may has well give him a shot....

I'd also send down the offensive minded Russell who has done nothing to score and focus on our only chance of winning games, defense, by bringing up Methot.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2007, 02:25 PM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFiveHoleExpress View Post
First time poster, long time reader.

I read this on the Crunch site and thought it interesting....

"Popperle looks like hes on his game and Brassard is a great young hockey player that has great hockey sense and is adapting more quickly to the pro game than maybe we had anticipated. Howson on what Crunch players have impressed him early on this season. -quote from Howson

Think he will be called up soon? He has had atleast a point in every game, and from what i have read, seems to be holding his own. I know there is a large leap from the AHL to the NHL, but i don't think he even got a shot to center Zherdev and Nash. It couldn't hurt, maybe for a few games. Just my 2 cents.
I think we have 1 opening now and 2 or 3 openings on the top 2 lines in the near future.

Peca ideally should be centering our 3rd line.

Fedorov is probably not back after this season.

Vyborny may or may not be signed to a new contract.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2007, 02:32 PM
Doug61*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
I think we have 1 opening now and 2 or 3 openings on the top 2 lines in the near future.

Peca ideally should be centering our 3rd line.

Fedorov is probably not back after this season.

Vyborny may or may not be signed to a new contract.
I think that although it is "ideal" that Peca play on the 3rd line the fact is, is that he has looked very nice on that first line and he has set up some nice passes. I believe that first line is here to stay and I would love to see Brassard centering Vybs and Modin toss Federov to the 4th line to play special teams. Federov if he were a young guy would have already been sat or better yet probably wouldn't have even made the team coming out of camp.

Doug61* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2007, 02:37 PM
Syracuse Crunch fan

One thing I noticed this weekend with Brassard. Since the Crunch offense is keying on him, the defenses are as well. Yes he's still scoring points, which says things about his natural ability and also the lack of other scoring on both Syracuse and Columbus. But he's having more trouble doing so, with most of his recent points being assists (which is not necessarily a bad thing).

We know he's the best player in the system since Nash, fine. Now lets see what he does after some of the pro teams have some information about him. I have every expectation he will continue to do well, and score in bunches. But will the extra defensive pressure cause him to up his game quickly, or will he try to keep just using the natural ability that he could use in Juniors? I think that's what they're waiting for in terms of a call up. Does he find the open teammate when he's double teamed or does he force something. How does he handle getting cheap shots when he's trying to bring the puck up ice. Things like that. Again, I think he'll pass those tests with flying colors, but he hasn't yet because he hasn't had to. When he does, we won't see him anymore here.

Syracuse Crunch fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2007, 02:40 PM
Doug61*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syracuse Crunch fan View Post
One thing I noticed this weekend with Brassard. Since the Crunch offense is keying on him, the defenses are as well. Yes he's still scoring points, which says things about his natural ability and also the lack of other scoring on both Syracuse and Columbus. But he's having more trouble doing so, with most of his recent points being assists (which is not necessarily a bad thing).

We know he's the best player in the system since Nash, fine. Now lets see what he does after some of the pro teams have some information about him. I have every expectation he will continue to do well, and score in bunches. But will the extra defensive pressure cause him to up his game quickly, or will he try to keep just using the natural ability that he could use in Juniors? I think that's what they're waiting for in terms of a call up. Does he find the open teammate when he's double teamed or does he force something. How does he handle getting cheap shots when he's trying to bring the puck up ice. Things like that. Again, I think he'll pass those tests with flying colors, but he hasn't yet because he hasn't had to. When he does, we won't see him anymore here.
Does Syracuse have a system in place where they try to force there young guys to play 2 way hockey, or are they just out there expected to use there natural abilities?

Old
10-22-2007, 02:42 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syracuse Crunch fan View Post

I'd like to see what Brassard is able to do when facing some of the teams the Crunch have already played a 2nd or 3rd time. Then we'll have a better idea at where he stands.

Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2007, 02:43 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug61 View Post
I think that although it is "ideal" that Peca play on the 3rd line the fact is, is that he has looked very nice on that first line and he has set up some nice passes. I believe that first line is here to stay and I would love to see Brassard centering Vybs and Modin toss Federov to the 4th line to play special teams. Federov if he were a young guy would have already been sat or better yet probably wouldn't have even made the team coming out of camp.
I agree with your post completely.....but you have to understand there is some fixation around here with Peca as a third liner and Fedorov as a first or second.....regardless of what is seen on the ice....

Truth be known...third line center Peca is a first line center on only one team in the NHL-the Blue Jackets....and that's where he should play.... If there was a 5th line in Columbus that's where Fedorov should play.... Fedorov should have been bought out and shipped out based on the 6 games I've seen so far (when quoting me get that part right)....please prove me wrong Mr. HOF Fedorov.

Old
10-22-2007, 02:52 PM
TheFiveHoleExpress

Send a message via Yahoo to TheFiveHoleExpress
In my post earlier, I said that I would like Brassard to replace Brule, then I thought about it. Do you think that Brule is not getting the chances on our first two lines? Would it make a difference? I think he may excel on the 2nd line. I know Hitch and Howson don't want to fracture the confidence of our younger players, but are we now coddling them too much? I know its only 7 games in, but I want to see some of the younger guys make some more strides towards where they were expected to be at when drafted.

TheFiveHoleExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2007, 03:24 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
In my post earlier, I said that I would like Brassard to replace Brule, then I thought about it. Do you think that Brule is not getting the chances on our first two lines? Would it make a difference? I think he may excel on the 2nd line. I know Hitch and Howson don't want to fracture the confidence of our younger players, but are we now coddling them too much? I know its only 7 games in, but I want to see some of the younger guys make some more strides towards where they were expected to be at when drafted.
I don't think so.... In some cases the line a guy plays on does change productivity, which is the rational I have used to support Fritsche in the past; the problem is, that rational is not a constant (meaning-an applicable excuse for all players accross the board).

In Brule's case, as a first round pick with a proven excellent resume from Jr's in Vancouver, he should be showing some indication of having the goods on any line he plays-I'm not seeing that so far this season.

Old
10-22-2007, 04:48 PM
TheFiveHoleExpress

Very well put, I agree we should see some of the potential of Brule. At this point he should be further along in his development. Is it too late to send him back the Syracuse? He is one to have fragile confidence. Would it be better to trade him at this point, to give him a fresh start? I think he will do good, if not great things in the NHL, but im not sure he is capable of doing them in a CBJ jersey.

Old
10-22-2007, 04:57 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Very well put, I agree we should see some of the potential of Brule. At this point he should be further along in his development. Is it too late to send him back the Syracuse? He is one to have fragile confidence. Would it be better to trade him at this point, to give him a fresh start? I think he will do good, if not great things in the NHL, but im not sure he is capable of doing them in a CBJ jersey.
Not even a quarter of the way through the season and my prediction is holding true. Shouldn't be long before the majority opinion is that "Brule sucks".

I really don't get the logic around here regarding Brule--"He's important to our team's future, we shouldn't trade him" and "He hasn't done anything to show he deserves to be on the first or second line." If the latter is true, how is the former also true?

Last edited by CapnCornelius: 10-22-2007 at 05:50 PM.
CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2007, 05:09 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Not even a quarter of the way through the season and my prediction is holding true. Shouldn't be long before the majority opinion is that "Brule sucks".

I really don't get the logic around here regarding Brule--"He's important to our team's future, we should trade him" and "He hasn't done anything to show he deserves to be on the first or second line." If the latter is true, how is the former also true?
I want to keep him.....but in all honesty, if he can be sent down without losing him I would do it. He is struggling for the second season now. He needs to feel that superior ability again-he would excel in Syracuse imo.... Then bring him back for one more try....

Old
10-22-2007, 05:48 PM
TheFiveHoleExpress

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post

I really don't get the logic around here regarding Brule--"He's important to our team's future, we should trade him" and "He hasn't done anything to show he deserves to be on the first or second line." If the latter is true, how is the former also true?
Its a confidence thing, its not a talent thing. I never said that Brule sucked. I just thought maybe a change of atmosphere may be what he needs. He is important to our team, IF he contributes, and to this point he has contributed less than what expectations have been precieved to be. I like him, I like the way he skate, but I don't know what a demotion to Syracuse will do to his psyche. Will he be down on himself, or will bust his arse to prove something? It is a question that needs to be asked, with our depth with mediocre centers. We may get more production out of someone else.

Old
10-22-2007, 05:56 PM
Syracuse Crunch fan

Quote:
Does Syracuse have a system in place where they try to force there young guys to play 2 way hockey, or are they just out there expected to use there natural abilities?
They use the same system as Columbus, take that as you will...

Some guys this year like Pineault are playing on the pk for the first time. Brassard is not, at least at this time. That to me says they expect him to perform more on the defensive end, and so far he is meeting that expectation.

Old
10-22-2007, 06:02 PM
Syracuse Crunch fan

I actually think the development of Brule v Brassard will be interesting, at least 5-10 years from now. Brule was rushed, last year could not play in the AHL since he was too young and has struggled against competition 2+ levels above where he was dominating. Brassard, mostly due to his injury, has been brought along more slowly, since he can start at the AHL, whereas last year he would not have been able to.

So, Brule's curve is/has been steeper, and so far he's not lived up to his potential. Brassard's curve has been shallower, but will he surpass Brule in the medium or long term because of that?

There is something to be said for pushing kids to someplace outside their comfort zone to push them to get better, but for every kid there is a point where it's too much and they are struggling just to stay even, without ever getting ahead.

I don't know if Brule is even in this situation, but I honestly thought he would be here to start the year, just to give him some minutes at a different level. Did they not do that because he earned a spot, or they were worried he would treat it as a demotion (see Starkov). I don't know. But at this point him being in Columbus isn't helping him, or the team. I still don't know if spending time here would help or hinder him. I really haven't heard a thing about his personality so I don't know how that would affect him.

Old
10-22-2007, 06:19 PM
hfboardsuser

I mentioned Brassard this week in my column over at DobberHockey. It's early, but here's an interesting stat: Brass has a better PPG rate than Briere when he was a 20 year-old AHL rook.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2007, 06:26 PM
CBJSlash

I do think a Brule demotion could be a good thing that I would like to see soon. Perhaps when Modin comes back.

CBJSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2007, 07:16 PM
maybe next year

Keep Brassard in Syracuse for a while.

Let the kid Brule keep on working through this funk. I thought he looked better last night. Give him some time to get his mojo back.

Although it will help, I don't think that merely going to the net will necessarily result in more consistent night in night out scoring. It seems there is a bigger problem with puck movement within the neutral and offensive zone---it is lackluster unless you enjoy watching corner digging and board passing. The playmakers (Vybs, Fedorov) are just not making the plays that they are capable of making. Plus nobody can finish for some reason.

I have a feeling that much of what has been emphasized by Hitch is checking, defensive responsibility, and winning battles. We have done pretty well in this regard. It may be that offensive play has taken a back seat. I have a feeling that this will no longer be the case.

All in all, I like the way the team is playing this year. Give these guys some time to get this sorted out.

maybe next year is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2007, 07:24 PM
Doug61*

How strongly willed is the Brule kid? If this guy has a weak heart sending him down to the AHL is gonna ruin the kid for good I'd be more than willing to bet. I'd have to know more about him before I would consider sending him down. If he's the type of kid that will just fall off the map with a demotion then the best idea would be to trade him and get something in return.

Old
10-22-2007, 08:29 PM
CBJSlash

Quote:
How strongly willed is the Brule kid? If this guy has a weak heart sending him down to the AHL is gonna ruin the kid for good I'd be more than willing to bet. I'd have to know more about him before I would consider sending him down. If he's the type of kid that will just fall off the map with a demotion then the best idea would be to trade him and get something in return.
Everyone talks about this ruining a kid for good stuff..... when was the last prospect that was sent down to the minors ruined forever?

CBJSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2007, 09:03 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Many won't respond to new users but I will.... No fan knows what is in his head....but Brule knows what is in head and I'm thinking he himself is growing tired of not being a projected NHL star....

To be honest, something seems to be missing in his game. And that's not just board BS, he has played 92 NHL games and is still a shell of his Vancouver representation.... He simply is not getting it done it for the CBJ, and don't forget, the CBJ are fighting to survive in the NHL-it's not a training camp for kids with problems.

The big NHL money (over half a million a year man!) means produce or go home-----he needs to be sent down...done....I've given up on him! For now....

Old
10-22-2007, 09:41 PM
Doug61*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Many won't respond to new users but I will.... No fan knows what is in his head....but Brule knows what is in head and I'm thinking he himself is growing tired of not being a projected NHL star....

To be honest, something seems to be missing in his game. And that's not just board BS, he has played 92 NHL games and is still a shell of his Vancouver representation.... He simply is not getting it done it for the CBJ, and don't forget, the CBJ are fighting to survive in the NHL-it's not a training camp for kids with problems.

The big NHL money (over half a million a year man!) means produce or go home-----he needs to be sent down...done....I've given up on him! For now....
I agree with you I just wonder whether or not he has more value in a trade then he does for this team. Do we think that if we send him down he is going to actually gain confidence and then all of a sudden turn into this solid player, I don't think that would happen. I honestly see no reason to send a player that has so many NHL games under his belt back to the minor league because he will probably learn nothing. So my concern is when is too soon to give up on a guy that has shown pretty much no improvement.

Old
10-22-2007, 09:42 PM
Doug61*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSlash View Post
Everyone talks about this ruining a kid for good stuff..... when was the last prospect that was sent down to the minors ruined forever?
I don't know the answer to that question but I would be willing to bet it's more than we think.

Old
10-22-2007, 10:23 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
I agree with you I just wonder whether or not he has more value in a trade then he does for this team. Do we think that if we send him down he is going to actually gain confidence and then all of a sudden turn into this solid player, I don't think that would happen. I honestly see no reason to send a player that has so many NHL games under his belt back to the minor league because he will probably learn nothing. So my concern is when is too soon to give up on a guy that has shown pretty much no improvement.
We would not get much for him at this point....I'd rather chance a remission than a trade.