HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Call up Brassard...

Old
10-23-2007, 09:56 AM
5StringBuzz

vCash: 500
This has been bugging me for a while. What makes our top picks so much more fragile than other teams' top picks? We're debating whether Brule (20 yrs, #6, '05) was "ruined" by bringing him up too fast, we've got Brassard (20 yrs, #6, '06) in the AHL, and Voracek (18 yrs, #7, '07) in Halifax. Our NHL club is basically getting no production from our last three #1 picks, and, with our lousy record, those are high picks. Yet Chicago has Toews (19 yrs, #3, '06) and Kane (~19 yrs, #1, '07), with the Hawks, and they're tearing it up so far. They don't look ruined to me.

What is it that makes the likes of Toews and Kane so much better than the likes of Brule, Brassard, and Voracek? How can they step right up and be so good without worry about "ruining" them? Was there really that much difference in ability and maturity between these prospects' positions in their respective drafts? Do the CBJ just do a lousy job of making draft picks? Is there something else about the CBJ that makes it harder for us to get success with our top picks on the big club?

I know I probably cherry picked Toews and Kane as examples, but I've seen them play this year, and since we face them tonight, they were already on my mind. I think my frustration is heightened by the fact that we so desperately need our kids to perform well and contribute, and I don't like the feeling that other teams (such as Chicago) are passing us up, and using their prospects (who are just as young, or younger, than ours) to do it. I also know that there are plenty of other top picks who have had trouble making the leap to being big producers in the NHL, but the CBJ sure as heck can't afford that.

5StringBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2007, 01:58 PM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Crosby - Malkin
Toews - Kane

Those guys are the exception more than the rule. Sadly, XGMDM did blow some picks. After seven years we finally see a couple of later round picks, Boll, and Russell make the team. Other than Nash, all our first rounders have been disapointments to one degree or another.

Were they rushed? Maybe, probably. I think that this team needs to be careful not to hold a prospect back based on past draft pick success, or lack of success.

Give Brassard 10 games or so more in the Cuse then re-evaluate him, and our situation. If he is still producing, and our offense is not, I think you are forced to call him up and give him a shot.

Not only does he have to prove that he belongs here, but the current Jackets players need to prove that he isn't needed here.

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2007, 03:00 PM
mississauga jim

Years ago a prominent agent told me that in the NHL draft, two or three of the top picks could play right away. The remainder needed time to develop but the most important thing is that your first round pick had to eventually crack your lineup.

This mantra has been repeated to me many times over the years by scouts, GM's and such and when you see the situation in Pittsburgh and Chicago remember both teams "really sucked" for them to get such high picks. I'll slightly disagree with Harry Neale when he says that the Jackets have not drafted very well but a player like Pascal LeClaire has been talented enough but too brittle the past couple of years. Zherdev is a total enigma as is Brule but I think Brassard may finally work out. Of course MacLean hit a home run when he traded up in Toronto to get Nash.

Buffalo is the perfect example of a team that has taken reasonably high picks (Vanek, Roy, Conolly (trade) MacArther, Paille, Miller,Gausted,Pominville,etc.) and turned them into regular productive NHLers. Don't forget that Vanek was one big pain in the rearside as well, but Lindy Ruff did what he had to and nailed his behind to the bench to teach him a lesson. Plus Vanek played a full season in Rochester to properly develop. Brassard is not the same level as Vanek but the Jackets are doing the right thing keeping him in the minors).Some call it tough love, some call it "welcome to the NHL son".

Every team needs their high picks to prosper because the alternative is the New York Rangers and we all know how well they are doing.

By the way there must have been something in the water in Lewiston with Picard and Burret. Both are struggling big time and I can see neither becoming anywhere close to a full time NHLer.Unfortunately with the new regime in Columbus I do not think that Picard will be offered a contract when this one expires. Too much Jared Boll I guess.

mississauga jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2007, 03:08 PM
5StringBuzz

I agree with you guys. I guess to some extent it comes down to the CBJ sucking, but not sucking enough (plus being just as lucky in the draft lottery as we are on the ice). In a way that sucks even more, because the road to success feels mighty long. I remember an article in the Dispatch (or was it ESPN? Whatever -- I don't have a link) immediately after our first season saying that the CBJ may have done too well for their own good in the first season because it was going to hurt our draft position, which would be costly down the road. Perhaps the team really needed to excel at sucking more than they did.

5StringBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2007, 04:11 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

From "The Dispatch" this morning:

Quote:
Blue Jackets notebook
GM says Brassard will stay in minors for now
Wednesday, October 24, 2007 3:40 AM
By Aaron Portzline

THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

Derick Brassard
CHICAGO -- Blue Jackets general manager Scott Howson traveled to Syracuse, N.Y., over the weekend to look at center Derick Brassard, currently tearing up the American Hockey League.

Brassard, with three goals and six assists, is tied for fourth in scoring in the AHL, having scored in all six games.

Still, a call-up to the Blue Jackets, who could use a No. 1 center, does not appear imminent.

"We had a good conversation," Howson said. "I told him to keep focusing on what he's trying to accomplish in Syracuse, and not to worry about Columbus. He said that he had a little trouble with that the first week of the season, but not now. That's his team now, and he wants to do well."

Beginning tonight, the Crunch will play eight games in 11 days, and Howson has told Brassard he'll remain in Syracuse at least through that stretch.

Howson also said the Blue Jackets will not recall Brassard based solely on his point production. Instead, they want to see Brassard scoring points in the right way, with the necessary resolve to show that he's up to the rigors of the NHL.

"I'm not there with him every day, so I can only judge by what our coaches and scouts are telling me," Howson said. "But the reports are that he's showing up at the rink long before practice, that he's watching video … and those are all good signs."

Old
10-24-2007, 08:36 AM
TBJF
Brick by Ga-borik

Send a message via AIM to TBJF Send a message via Yahoo to TBJF
I would be very surprised and disappointed if Brassard is brought up before mid-season, if then.

The idea of sending him to Syracuse was to let him adjust to the pro game and have some success as a scoring-line center. That's exactly what he's doing. To call him up now would put him in a position of trying to adjust to the speed of the NHL game and the pressure of being expected to continue his success. Why take that chance? If he was ready to be a top-line center in the NHL he would have shown it in camp.

My hope is that Howson knows better than to make an impulsive move like this. He's here for the long haul, and that means showing patience. Hitchcoach will have to muddle through somehow without Brassard for a while yet.

What's next, a Recall Voracek movement?

TBJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2007, 08:50 AM
TBJF
Brick by Ga-borik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post
(Big snip)Not only does he have to prove that he belongs here, but the current Jackets players need to prove that he isn't needed here.
I respectfully disagree. I take the viewpoint that you draft talent and then develop players. To let the current situation on the NHL roster force a change in the planned development of a key asset like Brassard seems to me shortsighted.

I suppose it might be justified in some circumstances - with Rick Nash being a plausible example.

If Brassard wasn't ready to center a scoring line in the NHL during training camp (all of a month ago) he's probably still not ready. So bringing him in and putting him in the position of trying to do a job he's not ready to do, just because the franchise has a need in that role, would smack of desperation. I don't perceive the situation as being anywhere near deperate enough to justify rushing Brassard's development at this time.

Old
10-24-2007, 11:38 AM
TheFiveHoleExpress

Send a message via Yahoo to TheFiveHoleExpress
I don't think desperate is the right word. Its productivity, would productivity go up with him here as opposed to say a Brule. Are we a better team right now with a Brassard over a Brule?

TheFiveHoleExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2007, 12:22 PM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

TBJF, that was pretty much my point. If the kid is tearing up the AHL after 20-30 games, and doing all the right things, and in the meantime the Jackets are still having center woes, what do you do? I am saying that if Brassard is the best center in the Cuse, and we decide to call up a center, due to a lack of production, and he has proved himself as the best, do we by-pass him for another center not as deserving?

What is that going to do to the kids psyche? Will he have the perception that the Jackets are holding him back unfairly?

Old
10-25-2007, 03:09 PM
TBJF
Brick by Ga-borik

Quote:
TBJF, that was pretty much my point. If the kid is tearing up the AHL after 20-30 games, and doing all the right things, and in the meantime the Jackets are still having center woes, what do you do?
You continue to resist the temptation to risk long-term development in the interest of meeting short-term needs. Or at least, that's what I'd do, if I was running the club.

Quote:
I am saying that if Brassard is the best center in the Cuse, and we decide to call up a center, due to a lack of production, and he has proved himself as the best, do we by-pass him for another center not as deserving?
Sure, if that's what's in the best long-term interest of the team. Actually, I think it would be unrealistic for the Jackets to try to solve their No. 1 center problem with anybody from Syracuse.

Quote:
What is that going to do to the kids psyche? Will he have the perception that the Jackets are holding him back unfairly?
If he's too mentally/emotionally fragile to deal with that, I don't want him in a leadership role on my team. You explain to him that you're leaving him in the minors because you're focused on his long-term development (you don't expect him to like it - of course he wants to be in the NHL - but you tell him to deal with it like a professional).

Brassard should be brought up to the NHL when management is convinced he's ready to play his style of game against NHL-level competition, on a regular basis. And not one minute before. The current need on the team (assuming Peca is not the long-term solution) should not be factored in. (I would call this "The Brule Commandment.")

Of course, maybe that's why I'm not running the team, ya know?

Old
10-25-2007, 03:15 PM
RDriesenUD

want to know 1 of the biggest dif between the guy who used to be gm and Howson? just check out this quote from that story.

Howson also said the Blue Jackets will not recall Brassard based solely on his point production. Instead, they want to see Brassard scoring points in the right way, with the necessary resolve to show that he's up to the rigors of the NHL.

RDriesenUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2007, 03:18 PM
RDriesenUD

as to the rest, i maintain its a combination of 3 things. poor drafting, poor development/coaching, rushing.

we havent done well at drafting players. im sorry, we sucked at it. i never liked most our picks, especially the Brule and Picard picks. didnt want them before the draft, didnt want them when we drafted them, and ill be honest, still dont want them. you add that onto not developing and coaching them properly and rushing them, even when they are not ready, instead of letting them develope and mature as scorers down in the ahl and you have some high draft picks not doing well right now.

Last edited by RDriesenUD: 10-25-2007 at 05:25 PM.
Old
10-25-2007, 04:58 PM
mississauga jim

I would not in any way compare Brule to Picard; two much different players. Brule is an elite talent, not Patrick Kane or Jonathon Toews or Jordan Staal class, but Gilbert with the right seasoning can be a good one. Picard is clearly not in this class and this situation I cannot explain. I hate to constantly crap on Alex but I do not see any upside here. Fritsche to me is an overachiever based on what I have seen since his minor hockey days and in this regard, I tip my hat. With Danny what you see is a lunch bucket, blue collar player that tries his guts out every night. Clearly Danny reminds me of Manny who is talent lite but energy heavy.

Klesla is about what I thought he would be since I saw him quite often in Brampton (OHL)and Nash to me is a total surprise since I have seen him since he was ten years old. If Nash never had Lindsay Hofford (as a coach) in London for his only two seasons there then I think you would have seen a kinder, gentler, Rick. (Not the beast you'll witness this season)

For me Brassard could really turn out- but has to be given time to experience some real success in the AHL. The NHL is so much harder and faster that when the kid does get there he'll need about 25-30 games to get acclimated just like Brule and Fritsche.

Finally, its nice to see Pascal Leclaire finally get some quality starts and look like the elite junior he was. For some reason I compare him to Marc Andre Fleury who in my mind is a touch more talented and better built for the NHL. If Pascal could ever get addicted to fitness then watch out!

mississauga jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2007, 05:24 PM
RDriesenUD

who compared them?

Old
10-31-2007, 12:01 AM
Stuart McDonald

As of today Brassard is currently the leading scorer in the AHL, has an even plus minus, a top pedigree and Columbus lacks a real number one centre. Sure Columbus is winning now but I think you should bring the kid in sooner rather than later so that he can get used to Hitchcock's system which is going to be a massive learning curve. By the time Brassard has figured Hitchcox out, Columbus is really going to need a first line centre because Leclaire (or the system in front of him) is only going to hold out for so long. I think Brassard is the real deal and mentally he's in the right place. He said before last year started that he wanted to play in the NHL right away so he's not exactly a shrinking violet. Besides, it's not like he's going into a high pressure market like New York or Toronto. I think another 10 -15 games in the A will be more than sufficient seasoning. Then bring him up and give him the play book. It's going to take a LONG LONG time for him to digest. Just ask Modano.

Stuart McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2007, 02:29 AM
darrmd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart McDonald View Post
As of today Brassard is currently the leading scorer in the AHL, has an even plus minus, a top pedigree and Columbus lacks a real number one centre. Sure Columbus is winning now but I think you should bring the kid in sooner rather than later so that he can get used to Hitchcock's system which is going to be a massive learning curve. By the time Brassard has figured Hitchcox out, Columbus is really going to need a first line centre because Leclaire (or the system in front of him) is only going to hold out for so long. I think Brassard is the real deal and mentally he's in the right place. He said before last year started that he wanted to play in the NHL right away so he's not exactly a shrinking violet. Besides, it's not like he's going into a high pressure market like New York or Toronto. I think another 10 -15 games in the A will be more than sufficient seasoning. Then bring him up and give him the play book. It's going to take a LONG LONG time for him to digest. Just ask Modano.
I say no don't bring up brassard. One Hitch's system is being taught in syracuse, maybe not as well because everyone is learning it but it is being taught. Yes Brassard is doing great but we don't need him now. Wait till December and push this kid to be better then the best, give him so many wins that he knows how to win in different situations, give him some confidence on how he really wants to play, this way we can build the line that suits him, being nash and zherdev, nash and modin, nash and whomever. Now is not the time but soon once we learn how to do everything else first.

darrmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2007, 02:46 AM
QTMcWhiskers
Playoff Avatar Stays

Quote:
As of today Brassard is currently the leading scorer in the AHL...
Slightly OT, but don't forget that Joakim Lindstrom is leading the AHL in goals with 7.

QTMcWhiskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2007, 03:43 AM
Doug61*

Quote:
Originally Posted by QTMcWhiskers View Post
Slightly OT, but don't forget that Joakim Lindstrom is leading the AHL in goals with 7.
I think Lindstrom is one of those players that is to good for the AHL but just not good enough for the NHL, kind of like that player...man his name escapes my mind that we sent to Anaheim last year.

Doug61* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2007, 07:33 AM
Jovavic
The Unnamed Feeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug61 View Post
I think Lindstrom is one of those players that is to good for the AHL but just not good enough for the NHL, kind of like that player...man his name escapes my mind that we sent to Anaheim last year.
Mark Hartigan

Jovavic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2007, 01:22 PM
QTMcWhiskers
Playoff Avatar Stays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug61 View Post
Todd Marchant

QTMcWhiskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2007, 01:44 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by QTMcWhiskers View Post
Todd Marchant
Nice. No needed.

Old
10-31-2007, 02:49 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrmd View Post
I say no don't bring up brassard. One Hitch's system is being taught in syracuse, maybe not as well because everyone is learning it but it is being taught. Yes Brassard is doing great but we don't need him now. Wait till December and push this kid to be better then the best, give him so many wins that he knows how to win in different situations, give him some confidence on how he really wants to play, this way we can build the line that suits him, being nash and zherdev, nash and modin, nash and whomever. Now is not the time but soon once we learn how to do everything else first.

Damn Dirty Doubter!
When Freddy re-tears his groin (because he said it isn't fully healed) and if Zeke and Gilbert continue NOT to score, we're going to need somebody who can score...so might we THEN see Brassard? I would hope so. ....unless of course we sign Forsberg.

What does "up to the rigors of the NHL" mean?
From what I can tell, the AHL is no cakewalk.

In a previous thread poll most posters here thought we'd see him back up sometime this season. After this road swing, unless we tear it up, I'd like to see him up for a few games.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2007, 03:04 PM
darrmd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
Damn Dirty Doubter!
When Freddy re-tears his groin (because he said it isn't fully healed) and if Zeke and Gilbert continue NOT to score, we're going to need somebody who can score...so might we THEN see Brassard? I would hope so. ....unless of course we sign Forsberg.

What does "up to the rigors of the NHL" mean?
From what I can tell, the AHL is no cakewalk.

In a previous thread poll most posters here thought we'd see him back up sometime this season. After this road swing, unless we tear it up, I'd like to see him up for a few games.
Where am I dirty doubter in that post?

I said wait to december then we can make a decision. There is a lot of games in december then the all star break basically a month after. There could be injuries, I believe I always said let the kids grow.

darrmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2007, 10:12 PM
Stuart McDonald

I think Brassard is the real deal folks. He's a true No.1 centre. The kid has only played a handful of pro games and he's leading the AHL after an entire year off at a crucial development time. It annoyed me just how much press Mueller got this summer when I felt all along Brassard was the guy. Things are looking brighter in Columbus baby!!!

Stuart McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2007, 01:30 AM
Iron Balls McGinty

Quote:
As of today Brassard is currently the leading scorer in the AHL,
Just for reference, David Ling and Derrick Walser are right behind him in the scoring race.

Take that for what its worth.

Iron Balls McGinty is online now   Reply With Quote