HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Call up Brassard...

Old
11-01-2007, 12:44 AM
QTMcWhiskers
Playoff Avatar Stays

vCash: 500
Cruch lose 5-3, but Brassard gets two more assists.

QTMcWhiskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2007, 11:10 PM
Paisano*
Jury is still out...

http://www.syracusecrunch.com/press/...lay&pr_id=1732

AHL Rookie of the month!

Paisano* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2007, 04:21 AM
Stuart McDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Balls McGinty View Post
Just for reference, David Ling and Derrick Walser are right behind him in the scoring race.

Take that for what its worth.
I think mentioning Ling and Walser is very misleading and does anything but provide a frame of reference. Brassard is only 20 and has only played a handful of pro games whereas both Ling and Walser have been around for quite some time. The comparison is lost on me.
I saw Brassard play Hamilton tonight and he was by far the most talented player that I have seen in the AHL this year. He doesn't belong in the AHL and unlike Ling and Walser, won't be there for long I can assure you.

Stuart McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2007, 08:51 AM
leesmith
Still in.

Since they seem to want him, trade Fedorov to Ottawa, then call up Brassard. Jackets will get something in return and have cash in hand to be buyers at the trade deadline.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2007, 09:02 AM
Macster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart McDonald View Post
I think mentioning Ling and Walser is very misleading and does anything but provide a frame of reference. Brassard is only 20 and has only played a handful of pro games whereas both Ling and Walser have been around for quite some time. The comparison is lost on me.
I saw Brassard play Hamilton tonight and he was by far the most talented player that I have seen in the AHL this year. He doesn't belong in the AHL and unlike Ling and Walser, won't be there for long I can assure you.
He's not really saying anything about Ling and Walser doing well, he's just making reference to how they are former Jacket farmhands who never really did much for us.

Macster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2007, 09:40 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Based on Brassards numbers in the AHL I'm expecting him to be called up soon.....just a hunch but we desperately need a scoring punch....Detroit will expose our need for offense in the coming weeks.....

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2007, 09:43 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Love to see the kid up.
But as some have pointed out, we got no room right now.
Who ELSE do you sit?

Right now, Vyborny is the only one who doesn't seem to be contributing much, or at least showing some improvement (like Brule)

Heresy I know.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2007, 10:16 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Leave Brassard in the AHL all season... I don't care if this team misses the playoffs because they couldn't score enough goals... let Brassard get a full year of pro hockey under his belt then come to camp and really shine next season.

Howson's got at least a two to three year leash and this team is already showing improvement... Let Brassard continue to have a great AHL season, go though an pro schedule and take hits at the pro level.... Please, let Brassard season...

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2007, 12:50 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by contingent_23 View Post
Leave Brassard in the AHL all season... I don't care if this team misses the playoffs because they couldn't score enough goals... let Brassard get a full year of pro hockey under his belt then come to camp and really shine next season.

Howson's got at least a two to three year leash and this team is already showing improvement... Let Brassard continue to have a great AHL season, go though an pro schedule and take hits at the pro level.... Please, let Brassard season...
I disagree, strange as it may sound and based on what I've seen thus far the Blue Jackets are not a wait for next season team.... I know, we should be but we are not.

Based on AHL reports Brassard is ready....based on proven performance thus far the Jackets are ready..... In order to continue winning we must provide an offense other than Rick Nash-not even Nash can take us deep into the playoffs alone.

I hope H&H are where I'm at with this team.., if so Brassard will be here within weeks...

Old
11-03-2007, 12:58 PM
mississauga jim

I don't know what game you were at last night in Hamilton, but Lindstrom is clearly the best player on the Crunch right now. Brassard is very talented but his long, long shifts are causing headaches for the coaches in Syracuse. He simply will not come off during the power play and strands the defence when he does not.

Lindstrom on the other hand made a play on Andrew Murray's goal that in my mind says NHL all the way. Hamilton is a fine AHL team that is very disciplined and traps exceeding well. Their two goal outburst at the beginning of the third period illustrates why Brassard is not quite ready for the NHL. There was a severe defensive breakdown courtesy of Brassard's man which lead to a Hamilton goal. This situation has occured many times this season at even strength with Brassard. And if you check, most of Brassard's points come from the point on the power play. I don't think Hitch will put a rookie in that spot for a few years.

Look folks, Brassard is a fine talent that is taking advantage of his power play time, in fact abusing that time in some instances, that often leads to an assist. At even strength the kid needs a lot of work that will come with time. To bring him up so early to play ten minutes on the fourth line is a mistake.

mississauga jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2007, 01:03 PM
Macster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mississauga jim View Post
I don't know what game you were at last night in Hamilton, but Lindstrom is clearly the best player on the Crunch right now. Brassard is very talented but his long, long shifts are causing headaches for the coaches in Syracuse. He simply will not come off during the power play and strands the defence when he does not.

Lindstrom on the other hand made a play on Andrew Murray's goal that in my mind says NHL all the way. Hamilton is a fine AHL team that is very disciplined and traps exceeding well. Their two goal outburst at the beginning of the third period illustrates why Brassard is not quite ready for the NHL. There was a severe defensive breakdown courtesy of Brassard's man which lead to a Hamilton goal. This situation has occured many times this season at even strength with Brassard. And if you check, most of Brassard's points come from the point on the power play. I don't think Hitch will put a rookie in that spot for a few years.

Look folks, Brassard is a fine talent that is taking advantage of his power play time, in fact abusing that time in some instances, that often leads to an assist. At even strength the kid needs a lot of work that will come with time. To bring him up so early to play ten minutes on the fourth line is a mistake.

What the **** are you basing this on?

Are you Yates?

Old
11-03-2007, 01:14 PM
Syracuse Crunch fan

I'll split the middle in this argument here.

Brassard is without a doubt the best natural talent on the Crunch. He sees the ice better than anyone I've seen here, has a killer shot and can win faceoffs.

That being said, to a degree Jim is right. He does still need to work on a number of aspects to his game. He's gotten a little predictable in his moves, and isn't the best defensively (which being a center is kind of important). His point totals mitigate that, but I think he would be exposed more in the NHL. Would he learn quicker too, maybe, we'll have to see.

I think he'll be here until the all star break/trade deadline. Let him continue to play well, get better defensively, and learn more of the pro game. When Feds gets traded like we all think he's going to be, call him up and have him play second/third line and see what happens.

Also, I agree with Jim that Lindstrom is playing out of his mind. He's past Platt in my mind. He's always had a great shot from the slot, but he's improved even more this year. He does still have holes in his game too, he's not the best defensively either, but as a winger, it's not as important as someone in a center position.

The two of them have been playing on separate lines this year, and both give the Crunch good scoring balance. Really, it wouldn't be surprising to me to see both of them get significant time with the JAckets this year.

Syracuse Crunch fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2007, 01:28 PM
Jovavic
The Unnamed Feeling

It's been a month and we haven't called anyone up from the Crunch yet. "Carry a full roster 07-08" in full effect.

Jovavic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2007, 01:42 PM
The Dancin' Beaver

Send a message via Yahoo to The Dancin' Beaver
I don't know why but I get the feeling that Lindstrom will be a star in the NHL, for another team. I get the same vibe when I think about Platt but I'm not so sure about the star part with him. These two make up some of our most tradable prospects in my eyes.

The Dancin' Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2007, 02:12 PM
hashmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macster View Post
What the **** are you basing this on?

Are you Yates?
I have heard similar things re: Brassard. He plays light, has been cheating all over the ice to score points and has been taking extended shifts. He is getting points alright, but not playing the game the 'right' way. That is not going to fly with Hitchcock.

Last I heard Adam Pineault, not Brassard, has been the best player for the most part in Syracuse. It is the way a guy plays and not only the points he scores that will draw attention from the guys in Columbus. They can see through the points.

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2007, 02:53 PM
Macster

Quote:
Originally Posted by willien View Post
I have heard similar things re: Brassard. He plays light, has been cheating all over the ice to score points and has been taking extended shifts. He is getting points alright, but not playing the game the 'right' way. That is not going to fly with Hitchcock.

Last I heard Adam Pineault, not Brassard, has been the best player for the most part in Syracuse. It is the way a guy plays and not only the points he scores that will draw attention from the guys in Columbus. They can see through the points.
That may be true, and I believe it, seeing as how Brass has been a pro for only a few weeks now. Learning how to play the game in all facets is why he is there. I understand that.

My question is, and always has been, where does mississaugajim come up with this stuff? He posts like he is a pro scout. Maybe he is.

I'd love to know.

Old
11-03-2007, 03:25 PM
CBJFan#1

Quote:
And if you check, most of Brassard's points come from the point on the power play. I don't think Hitch will put a rookie in that spot for a few years.
That would be incorrect. Russel is getting a boatload of PP time on the point. Sure he's a Dman but playing the point is all about puckhandling. Youre not so much playing defense as being surehanded with the puck, with strong passing and shooting. All of which he is.

CBJFan#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2007, 03:25 PM
Robert
Foligno family

As for Brassard, what some are trying to say is that the CBJ want to see him "compete in the 'dirty' areas of the ice, to show a real competitive edge to his game." I've not seen him play in the AHL so I cannot assess that....but for the Crunch fans here, that is what he is expected to do...... "to do battle" at an NHL level....

I think he is ready, but from what I hear the CBJ may not agree........

Old
11-04-2007, 10:11 PM
Stuart McDonald

Quote:

I must say I knew nothing of Lindstrom until I saw the game as I'm not a Columbus fan nor a Syracuse fan. There is no question his pass to Murray was probably the best play of the game and his deke in the shootout was fantastic also. He is NHL material no question. But to say he's better than Brassard right now I simply don't understand. It appeared like the entire Syracuse team agreed with me as they tried to pass him the puck at every opportunity.

Brassard has a way of slowing the game down and giving himself time that is unteachable. His offensive instincts and stickhandling are so good it's scary. I can see Lindstrom's potential but he is not in Brassard's league. Yes Brassard's man scored twice in 10 seconds but Lapierre is Hamilton's best player and the two were matched up most of the night so it's not like Brassard's defensive game is completely without merit. Is he ready for Hitchcock? Probably not, but neither are half the players in the NHL.

Brassard is the best player I've seen in the AHL so far this season, I think it would be a shame to keep him unchallenged on the farm when he should be playing top six minutes in the NHL. Who on earth would put a player like that on the fourth line anyway?

Stuart McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2007, 03:27 PM
sc37

vCash: 700
http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=...ticleid=342254

Article on NHL.com about Brassard...I hope it hasn't been posted before.

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2007, 03:31 PM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Quote:

This actually jives with the only consistent criticism of Brassard I've heard...that being that he is trying to do too much right now. He's going to be a great player in the NHL, just not this year.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 08:45 PM
markzab

Send a message via AIM to markzab
I can predict the future.

markzab is offline   Reply With Quote