HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

is it time to put shanny on a line with jagr?

Old
10-18-2007, 11:29 PM
TheHotRock

vCash: 500
is it time to put shanny on a line with jagr?

and have it be the slower paced "half court" line?

you could put dubinsky in the middle, avery in the middle when he gets back, maybe betts....i could see it working with any of them. jags and shanny are both most effective on the pp anyway and theyd still be getting minutes on the top pp unit.

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 11:30 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

no, i think its time to put straka and hossa with jagr.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 11:33 PM
GarretJoseph*

i can see sather trading for Rucinsky to play with Straka and Jagr.

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 11:35 PM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
i can see sather trading for Rucinsky to play with Straka and Jagr.
please no

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 11:44 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

I brought this up in the game thread also..

I think it should be something Renney thinks about doing...I also think Renney should've done it last year against Buffalo in the playoffs..

although as I've been saying since July 1st Hossa and Straka should play with Jagr...Chemisty was obviously going to be an issue and this slow start the team has had shouldn't be a big surprise to anybody..

Its also time to split up Prucha and Callahan...Prucha no showed the begining of last season and no showed the playoffs...at what point do we start to get worried?

Right now my lines would look something like

Hossa Straka Jagr
Prucha Gomez Shanny
Dawes Drury Callahan
Hollweg Betts Orr

If Renney plays Shanny with Jagr (which is something he should look at)

Shanny Straka Jagr
Dawes Gomez Prucha (the smurfs are back)
Hossa Drury Callahan
Hollweg Betts Orr

either lineup would be fine by me..

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 11:58 PM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
I brought this up in the game thread also..

I think it should be something Renney thinks about doing...I also think Renney should've done it last year against Buffalo in the playoffs..

although as I've been saying since July 1st Hossa and Straka should play with Jagr...Chemisty was obviously going to be an issue and this slow start the team has had shouldn't be a big surprise to anybody..

Its also time to split up Prucha and Callahan...Prucha no showed the begining of last season and no showed the playoffs...at what point do we start to get worried?

Right now my lines would look something like

Hossa Straka Jagr
Prucha Gomez Shanny
Dawes Drury Callahan
Hollweg Betts Orr

If Renney plays Shanny with Jagr (which is something he should look at)

Shanny Straka Jagr
Dawes Gomez Prucha (the smurfs are back)
Hossa Drury Callahan
Hollweg Betts Orr

either lineup would be fine by me..

I'd be interested in seeing that

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2007, 12:04 AM
Bretzky*

I don't get why Dawes always gets the edge of Prucha / Callahan when they've proved so much more.

If I were the coach:

Prucha Straka Jagr
Gomez Drury Shanahan (Drury takes faceoffs but Gomez is basically C)
Callahan Dubinsky Dawes
Hollweg Betts Byers
Orr

When fully healthy:

Prucha Straka Jagr
Gomez Drury Shanahan
Callahan Dubinsky Avery
Byers Betts Hossa
Orr

Bretzky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2007, 01:12 AM
rickyrod

How about we pick a lineup and stick with it for a little while? Chemistry is the teams problem right now.

There is really no reason to let your heads explode over poor play in October.

rickyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2007, 01:18 AM
Bretzky*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyrod View Post
How about we pick a lineup and stick with it for a little while? Chemistry is the teams problem right now.

There is really no reason to let your heads explode over poor play in October.
Because Gomez's game hasn't found anyone to keep up with him yet.

Because Jagr looks slow and won't ever dump the puck in.

Because Prucha and Cally are too similar and not yet mature enough to be the play-starter on the same line.

Because Dubinsky has looked good but every time he does something good, his only pass options are Hollweg and Orr.

What Renney is doing (and us posting diff lineups all the time) is an attempt to find the right combos to get some of these players' games going on the right track. In my opinion, it's going to take someone like Prucha or Callahan on Jagr's opposite wing to dump the puck in and go chase it down to gain the zone. There is way too much east-west, clogging up the neutral zone, and making our players stop at the blue-line and then start again, thus never able to establish a forecheck. We need to start dumping the puck into opposite corners and have that side winger already with a full head of steam knowing the dump-in is likely coming. Jagr's east-west **** is confusing and stifling his linemates, whoever they end up being each game. That, and we've played crap defense at times.

Old
10-19-2007, 01:38 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

I think you guys might get a bit frustrated before Jagr gets going and the chemistry is found again.

I said this before, Drury and Gomez, while good signings in their own right (#1 and #2 centers) are not exactly the centers that fit your team the best.
Start off with a mixed core of forwards, but only Jagr has (or had maybe) all the ingredients of a complete offensive player (size, speed, skill, scoring touch, vision).
Everyone else is either small (Prucha, Straka), slow (Shanahan) or promising, but with seemingly limited offensive ablities (Callahan)... Then there's Avery, who's a spark plug and while limited offensively, provides the cheekiness you need... And he's out.
With Jagr now more of a playmaker, unfortunately, he needs a more complete center on his line. Gomez simply won't score enough goals or get himself into position to do so, and Drury's offense, at ES, comes off leeching, not creating.

These guys are still too good not to gel with time and they will find their game, but even when they do, it's still not gonna be a scary team like Ottawa.

I saw what some of you said in another thread, and you might be right... They need to play a more offensive brand of hockey, cos with limited speed out there they can't play the counterattacking game as effectively IMO. And with Jagr, Gomez and co., cycling the puck in the opposition zone could yield much better results... Jagr, Gomez, Shanahan, Drury, all perform better on a set attack, only Straka, Prucha and maybe Callahan I'd be confident to let play the speed game.

Anyway... IMO it's gonna take a bit of time, but they'll get there, cos they're too good not to.. But meanwhile, there's gonna be some losses and frustrating games.

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2007, 01:51 AM
rickyrod

I'm really more worried about the fact that this NHL double secret probation thing Hollweg is under has completely neutralized his game and he's been basically an empty shirt out there, while Neil and Exelby get closer to killing someone and the NHL says nothing about it.

Jagr will find his game and I wouldn't take hossa off of his wing when he is healthy because they compliment each other well. He's one of only 3 point-a-game players right now. I don't mind Prucha on Jagr's wing, but it's harder to justify without a bigger center and our effete d-corps out there. The top line will always get the shut down line which can toss Pruchs around like a ragdoll, even though he always gets right back up and draws penalties.
I don't like Gomez and Drury on the same line and it kind of defeats the reason we brought them both in and I'm not ready to give up on that idea yet. It's nice to finally have three centers who are really good at face-offs, and we'll reap the reward from that at some point, I'm sure.
Things will settle in. It's only October. I'd really rather get the bad games out of our system now like last season.

rickyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2007, 03:20 AM
Bretzky*

Straka Anisimov Jagr
Drury Gomez Shanahan (w/ Drury taking faceoffs)
Prucha Dubinsky Callahan
Avery Betts Hossa

My justification for Anisimov on the first line is the same justification all the Dawes lovers give for him coming straight from Hartford to the top line. Let's see it when the time is right (hopefully at some point this season).

Old
10-19-2007, 08:45 AM
TheHotRock

id like to see gomez with prucha and dawes and i'd like to see drury on a line with callahan.

for whatever reason, Jagr's shot isn't there and he's nto letting it go with the same frequency he did in his first year here. In yea one he was looking to shoot, now he's looking to make plays. I think Shanny would be a nice compliment, he'd have space to unload with Jagr out there. Plus, this way you could have 3 balanced lines.

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2007, 08:48 AM
NYRJurgen88

Send a message via MSN to NYRJurgen88
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post
id like to see gomez with prucha and dawes and i'd like to see drury on a line with callahan.

for whatever reason, Jagr's shot isn't there and he's nto letting it go with the same frequency he did in his first year here. In yea one he was looking to shoot, now he's looking to make plays. I think Shanny would be a nice compliment, he'd have space to unload with Jagr out there. Plus, this way you could have 3 balanced lines.
nothing else is working particularly well yet, so why not try it...Renney seems to enjoy throwing out various combos...

NYRJurgen88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2007, 09:19 AM
Jay88*

I dont know what its time to do, but i do know its time to win, thats obvious. It may also be time to find Shanny on the 3rd line with less minutes so he can conserve his energy. I could be right and I oculd be wrong.

Im just boggled like everyone else dont kow where people shold be or where they shoudl go or what. I guess thats why Im not coach of an NHL team, leave this up to Renney now I guess.

Jay88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2007, 09:38 AM
Vatchern

It was mentioned by someone in a previous thread about putting shannahan down to the 3rd like for a wake-up call. Also, because he can not keep up with Gomez's speed.

Prucha Drury Jagr
Straka Gomez Callahan
Hossa Dubinsky Shannahan
Hollweg Betts Orr.

I would love to see this line up for a game.

Vatchern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2007, 09:44 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Personally, I think it's time to pick some line combos and stick with them for more than a game.

10-19-2007, 10:44 AM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

when Hossa and Avery get back I'd try this for a few games unless it really doesn't work

Hossa-Straka-Jagr
Avery-Gomez-Callahan
Dawes-Drury-Shanahan
Betts-Dubinsky-Orr

Tyutin-Girardi
Malik-Rosi
Staal-Mara

First PP unit:

Hossa - Gomez - Jagr
Drury - Shanahan

Second PP unit:

Dawes - Avery - Callahan
Straka - Tyutin

First PK unit:

Drury-Hossa
Tyutin-Girardi

Second PK unit:

Betts-Avery/Callahan
Malik-Roszival / Staal-Mara

I think those lines can generally be effective, it would make Drury be a third line center and Dubinsky a 4th and switch Betts over to the wing on that particular line shift but I think these lines can work out both offensively and defensively for our team well.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2007, 11:42 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Personally, I think it's time to pick some line combos and stick with them for more than a game.
No, it's not. You try and stick with something that has a glimpse of possible success. We hadn't had anything like that 5-on-5. Not yet.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2007, 11:46 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Id like to see this given a shot...

Hossa Straka Jagr
Drury Gomez Callahan
Prucha Dubinsky Shanahan
Hollweg Betts Orr

Renney is killing our 3 line attack by putting the offensively inept betts with 2 scorers. its IDIOTIC, and im tired of seeing it.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2007, 12:04 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
Id like to see this given a shot...

Hossa Straka Jagr
Drury Gomez Callahan
Prucha Dubinsky Shanahan
Hollweg Betts Orr

Renney is killing our 3 line attack by putting the offensively inept betts with 2 scorers. its IDIOTIC, and im tired of seeing it.
I think those lines or some close incarnation of them are inevitable. Primarily because no other line combos will work until Renney gets to those. But God knows how long it will take Renney to get to them. It's sometimes takes him half a season before trying the obvious.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2007, 01:39 PM
Fletch

I agree 100% with Singn'...

as a coach, having seen these guys day-in and day-out, you get a sense for what fits and what does not fit. And as such, you try that and stick with it for a bit. Renney's all over the place and relies on certain guys too much (didn't Drury receive about 26 minutes of ice time last night?). And it's funny because Cally and Prucha aren't doing much together and they've been together the entire season thus far. As usual with Renney, you see some flawed characteristics in his judgment (being inconsistent). I dunno, it is frustrating because this team just doesn't look good. Yeah, only six games in, but they don't look in sync, not everyone seems to be going full-out.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2007, 01:41 PM
Fire Sather
4 MORE YEARS!

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Straka has to be Jagr. I've said this all along, they have chemistry together

Straka-Gomez-Jagr
Hossa-Drury-Shanahan
Prucha-Dubinsky-Callahan
Hollweg-Betts-Orr

I was very close to putting Prucha on the left wing with Straka in the middle with Jagr. But lets face it. We are going to have to get one of Gomez or Drury to mesh with Jagr eventually or else we're in trouble. I also don't like Straka as the top center (or at center period) and theres no reason for him to be with Gomez and Drury here.

Fire Sather is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2007, 01:47 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post

It's time to accept the fact that Renney does not want or believe in 3 line attack (neither do I, but who, the hell, am I?). Better offense does not come with more attackers, while better defense does so with more defense assigned players.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2007, 01:58 PM
Fletch

I think I completely disagree with your statement. I think it's safe to say that Renney doesn't feel he has a three-line attack (i.e., a centerman for the third line in which he has confidence) and therefore isn't going with that type of attack. It was exactly that style that got him to the second round (three offensive lines and a fourth line), and with which he stuck last season when afforded the opportunity, even if it meant playing a winger or two out of position so he had three solid offensive lines. Losing Avery seemed to kill Renney, as stupid as that sounds. He won't play Straka at center because Avery's gone (I believe). Crazy.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote