HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Danny Briere

Old
10-19-2007, 12:31 PM
orange and black48
BUTTHEAD!

vCash: 500
I am converted. He is the man, and I knew when we signed him we were getting something good!!!

orange and black48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2007, 12:39 PM
phlacheesesteak

ive warmed up to him over the past couple of weeks for sure.

but, i wont lie, i hated him before he got here. not to say i didnt want him to sign here cause he has awesome talent. But i thought he was second to none in flopping around on the ice trying to draw penalties. i havent seen him do much of that yet in a flyers uni so as long as he keeps putting points on the board, earning his pay check, and the team keeps winning, im ecstatic to have him here!

i dont get what these people who say he looksl ike a little boy are talking about. i mean, the dude got some facial hair. check my avatar, the man is bushy.

whoever said ole danny cant grow a playoff beard is crazy!

bertuzzis beard doesnt got anything on brieres.

phlacheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2007, 12:45 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlacheesesteak View Post
ive warmed up to him over the past couple of weeks for sure.

but, i wont lie, i hated him before he got here. not to say i didnt want him to sign here cause he has awesome talent. But i thought he was second to none in flopping around on the ice trying to draw penalties. i havent seen him do much of that yet in a flyers uni so as long as he keeps putting points on the board, earning his pay check, and the team keeps winning, im ecstatic to have him here!

i dont get what these people who say he looksl ike a little boy are talking about. i mean, the dude got some facial hair. check my avatar, the man is bushy.

whoever said ole danny cant grow a playoff beard is crazy!

bertuzzis beard doesnt got anything on brieres.
i, for one, am looking forward to jason smith's playoff beard.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2007, 12:59 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

I've been excited ever since he came. He was always my favorite player to watch on the Sabres, even though I never really liked the Sabres personally. I've always liked the Sabres players, though, so I was pumped when Danny came to Philly. And he's great to watch to, brings a whole new style to the team. I can't remember a time where I watched the Flyers played so little "dump and chase" hockey.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2007, 01:01 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I'd love to see us go three rounds and see how bad Jeff Carter's beard is. People want to talk about Briere's babyface, but at least his dark hair shows up eventually.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2007, 01:07 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:

The Oilers had a hell of a team a couple years ago. I'm still disappointed they didn't win the cup.

Roger's Pancreas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2007, 02:43 PM
flyersfan97

Quote:
he'll never be my favorite player on the team, but i certainly enjoy having that level of offensive creativity and speed on the top line.

i don't like seeing Briere jerseys in the stands, but i didn't like all the Roenick jerseys either... however, i have strong thoughts on what is an acceptable jersey to own (non-mercenary only).
Really? Is it because of the reason you state below, or is there another reason(s) as well?

Quote:
i would never buy the jersey of a player strongly associated with another club... so, clearly Richards and Downie are not in that category. Roenick will always be a Blackhawk in my mind, just as Briere has a strong association with the Sabres.
So I'm guessing you weren't fond of Forsberg jerseys either?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
It isn't like the guy is going anywhere soon. He'll be here at least until the front-loaded portion of his contract is paid out.
Exactly. When I told my husband the other night that I wanted Santa to bring me a white Briere jersey for Christmas, he said, "Yeah, and with your luck, they'll get rid of him in another year or two." I needed to remind him of the 8-year contract with a no movement clause.

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2007, 02:47 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan97 View Post
Really? Is it because of the reason you state below, or is there another reason(s) as well?
it's pretty much an UFA thing. however, if you have a player like Coburn or Upshall that never really "made it" with another club, I have no problem with it. someone like LeClair, who didn't make his name until he came to the Flyers... and Desjardins who really established himself with the Flyers, they can get past that (they were also not UFA signings).

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan97 View Post
So I'm guessing you weren't fond of Forsberg jerseys either?
Nope... not a "Flyer," he is and will remain an Av. That being said, Colorado annoys the hell out of me with retiring players numbers that I don't think they have first dibs on... I think retiring Bourque's number was insulting to Boston. I also think they should have allowed Montreal to do something for Roy first (realizing he won a couple cups with the Avs, but I'll always remember him with the Habs).

I have a Gagne jersey, and my previous jersey was a Lindros jersey from his rookie year.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2007, 02:58 PM
John Flyers Fan

He was the center I wanted most, and very glad we have him.

For most of last year I wanted Gomez above Briere, but during the playoffs I watched every Sabres game specifically watching Briere. He's better than Gomez. He's a scoring threat, and he's excellent along the wall as well.

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2007, 04:20 PM
CantSeeColors

I was elated the day he signed and have been every since the beginning of the season. Just watching him control the puck is a treat.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2007, 04:26 PM
SaveByHexy

Briere was my choice from the start.....I have to say though I'm a little disturbed at how many people didn't like him or want him here because of how he looks....are you serious??

SaveByHexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2007, 05:28 PM
flyboys15

I am a Flyers fan for a decade plus now and I bought a Briere name and number tee when he was still a Sabre, I can't love my Flyers if I don't love hockey, I have no problem liking a player no matter what his sweater's crest is.

flyboys15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2007, 05:40 PM
exlund*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amonte11Scores View Post
Briere was my choice from the start.....I have to say though I'm a little disturbed at how many people didn't like him or want him here because of how he looks....are you serious??
Yeah I don't get that whole appearance thing...I couldn't care less what he looks like. I've always admired his game. The speed, agility, playmaking and scoring..sure he's not the grittiest player but it's not like he's totally soft and afraid to go into corners or along the boards to get pucks. I think he has a more complete game than Gomez and is a better leader. We made the right decision.

exlund* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2007, 05:57 PM
flyersfan97

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan View Post
He was the center I wanted most, and very glad we have him.

For most of last year I wanted Gomez above Briere, but during the playoffs I watched every Sabres game specifically watching Briere. He's better than Gomez. He's a scoring threat, and he's excellent along the wall as well.
I think watching him play in the playoffs is what sealed the deal for me (not that I even for a second wanted Gomez in Philly). Then, a Sabres fan I know said that Danny "didn't have a good playoffs." I figured if that was "not good" I couldn't wait to see him when he was "good."

I, too, love the big, brawling Flyers, but the game has evolved and so has our team. I also do not agree with not liking him because of the way he looks. In my opinion, he'll look pretty darn good hoisting the Cup in an orange and black sweater.

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2007, 07:43 PM
Pro

Briere has a better of a linemate in Gagne than Pominville and Dumont, and Knuble over Hecht, so Briere (a healthy Briere/Gagne/Knuble) should spark the point production big time.

But in the long run since Buffalo had all 4 lines that can score at any given time, Briere had more linemates to play with -for Danny to excel with this Flyers team, the other teammates need to have the velocity to excel with Briere.

Pro is offline   Reply With Quote