HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Morozov on YOUR team

Closed Thread

Old
01-11-2004, 10:13 PM
stardog

vCash: 500
Morozov on YOUR team

If your team needed a second tier scorer, what would they give up for Morozov. Keep in mind that he needs to play with someone who will take the attention off of him. If your team has a talented center and lacks a RW, he could be a good fit.
Part of his problem in Pittsburgh is that he is doesn't have anyone to play with now that Mario is out.
I'd like to hear from fans of other teams if possible.

Old
01-11-2004, 10:37 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardog
Part of his problem in Pittsburgh is that he is doesn't have anyone to play with now that Mario is out.
The other part being he is a moody floater with about as much intensity, determination, fire and balls as this guy .

Morozov sucks but he is talented indeed. It might be time for a change of scenery, preferably somewhere where there's decent coaching and a strong team identity. It's a big gamble but some teams might take a chance.

Your best bet is to find someone much like him. Perhaps a center in trouble with his team. Like Marc Savard was in the past, for instance.

Tim Conolly is one. I was going to say Kris Beech but he's already there! :p

Other guys:
-Alex Svitov (Unlikely TB would do this straight up, though)
-Jaroslav Svoboda+other traditionally crappy Canes players in the system (he's a winger unfortunately)

It's hard to come up with names because I suppose you want very low salaries in return?

Old
01-11-2004, 10:47 PM
stardog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler
The other part being he is a moody floater with about as much intensity, determination, fire and balls as this guy .

Morozov sucks but he is talented indeed. It might be time for a change of scenery, preferably somewhere where there's decent coaching and a strong team identity. It's a big gamble but some teams might take a chance.

Your best bet is to find someone much like him. Perhaps a center in trouble with his team. Like Marc Savard was in the past, for instance.

Tim Conolly is one. I was going to say Kris Beech but he's already there! :p

Other guys:
-Alex Svitov (Unlikely TB would do this straight up, though)
-Jaroslav Svoboda+other traditionally crappy Canes players in the system (he's a winger unfortunately)

It's hard to come up with names because I suppose you want very low salaries in return?
I'd trade him for Kermit. I agree with all of what you said except for the moody part.

When talkin Pens we are always talkin low payroll of course. Would a package deal with Beech be more attractive? Maybe like you said, to another team with an underachieving semi-prospect.
Morozov could be a pretty good player, but only on a pretty good team. Unfortunatley, he is on the Pens, and they wont be good for a few years at least.

Old
01-12-2004, 12:33 AM
Jacob

I would trade him for Connolly in a heart beat if there were any signs of Connolly getting over this concussion problem. It would be a bad trade (even for the Penguins) if they traded Morozov for a guy that ends up retiring.

I wonder if there are any underachieving (cheap and young) blueliners out there that the Pens could go after. Lukowich is probably a stretch. Maybe a guy like McKee or Semenov.

Last edited by Jacob: 01-12-2004 at 12:40 AM.
Old
01-12-2004, 02:13 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
moody?

0_o

Old
01-12-2004, 02:16 AM
Ironchef Chris Wok*

Send a message via ICQ to Ironchef Chris Wok*
Hmm.... the Nucks could take a flyer on him... like we did in 96 when we traded Stojanov to the Penguins...

Old
01-12-2004, 05:28 AM
Benji Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironchef Chris Wok
Hmm.... the Nucks could take a flyer on him... like we did in 96 when we traded Stojanov to the Penguins...
Stojanov might be over-paying this time round......

Old
01-12-2004, 05:40 AM
OlliMackBjugStud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironchef Chris Wok
i think the Canucks should give the PENS a pick just to make sure they dont tak trade for MOrozov.

To PIT: a 5th rounder
To VAN: nothing but the confirmation that Morozov will not be a Canuck

Win for Canucks.

DR

Old
01-12-2004, 05:47 AM
HughJass*

Send a message via AIM to HughJass* Send a message via Yahoo to HughJass*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler
DeFauw, Surma, and a myriad of others. I'm not sure on Lysak yet, but I'm willing to chat.

Morozov is a poor, poor, poor man's version of Jan Hlavac. I dunno anyone would want that deal. Maybe a change of scenery, but that has been said about Hlavac, thrice (yeah, I know it's not a word) removed.

Btw, Vlad, don't you mean this guy:

http://www.storm-studios.net/catzndo...les/muppet.png

Old
01-12-2004, 10:27 AM
LaVal

perfect fit for LA. one of the most injury prone players in the league. i smell a perfect match.

Old
01-12-2004, 10:35 AM
Peter Griffin

Fedor Fedorov and a mid round pick for Morozov? IMO, it would be worth the gamble for the Canucks and Pens. Fedorov isn't helping the Canucks any right now, and it's possible that Morozov could work out with the Canucks, a place where he doesn't have to be anything near the go-to-guy, but rather pot the chances he would receive while playing with the twins. If it doesn't work out, the Canucks haven't really lost anything.

From the Pens view point they get bigger, younger and cheaper while not sacrificing any of the talent. Fedor could really emerge in Pittsburgh, or he could flop. Either way, Morozov hasn't worked out anyway.

Old
01-12-2004, 10:47 AM
stardog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
Fedor Fedorov and a mid round pick for Morozov? IMO, it would be worth the gamble for the Canucks and Pens. Fedorov isn't helping the Canucks any right now, and it's possible that Morozov could work out with the Canucks, a place where he doesn't have to be anything near the go-to-guy, but rather pot the chances he would receive while playing with the twins. If it doesn't work out, the Canucks haven't really lost anything.

From the Pens view point they get bigger, younger and cheaper while not sacrificing any of the talent. Fedor could really emerge in Pittsburgh, or he could flop. Either way, Morozov hasn't worked out anyway.
Sold. Or how about RJ?

Old
01-12-2004, 10:48 AM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Sold. Or how about RJ?
He's not going to be traded, Burke has said so.

Old
01-12-2004, 10:48 AM
stardog

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaVal575
perfect fit for LA. one of the most injury prone players in the league. i smell a perfect match.
uhh, huh?

Old
01-12-2004, 11:21 AM
JDB3939

Send a message via AIM to JDB3939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
He's not going to be traded, Burke has said so.
He goes UFA at the end of the season I thought?

Old
01-12-2004, 11:36 AM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
If your team needed a second tier scorer, what would they give up for Morozov. Keep in mind that he needs to play with someone who will take the attention off of him. If your team has a talented center and lacks a RW, he could be a good fit.
I'd like to hear from fans of other teams if possible.
I remember that Andre Savard was very high on him, and apparently tried a few times to land him, going all the way back to when he traded away Weinrich (for Traverse...).

He's young, has talent, and Savard generally makes good judgments. Might be worth a gamble, and I would consider sending Hossa, who is struggling in the Habs system, but still a decent prospect. Nothing special, just a swap of guys who probably need a change of scenery to save their careers.

Old
01-12-2004, 11:44 AM
BrianBurke

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave
I remember that Andre Savard was very high on him, and apparently tried a few times to land him, going all the way back to when he traded away Weinrich (for Traverse...).

He's young, has talent, and Savard generally makes good judgments. Might be worth a gamble, and I would consider sending Hossa, who is struggling in the Habs system, but still a decent prospect. Nothing special, just a swap of guys who probably need a change of scenery to save their careers.
Morozov appears to be one of those guys that benefited by having a super-super-super star centre to play with (see Vitali Yachmenev with Gretzky).
Without that talented player to feed him, Morozov appears to be nothing more than another tantalizing waste of god-given talent.
I wouldn't mind seeing the Canucks take a gamble on him to play with the Sedins (they could use a finisher).
What would I be willing to give up? Nothing more than a decent 2nd rounder I'm afraid.

Old
01-12-2004, 11:51 AM
Mizral

Frankly, I wouldn't even give up a 2nd round pick for the guy.

That said, I wouldn't be completely adverse to getting him - but how much money does he make, and when is his contract up?

I'd probobly throw Fedorov or perhaps another prospect/pick combination and give him a shot, but not if he's got something like, $2 million over 2 more years or so.

Old
01-12-2004, 11:55 AM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDB3939
He goes UFA at the end of the season I thought?
Which is exactly why he doesn't get traded. He was a 1st round pick so the Canucks receive a compensation pick in the 2nd round (46th overall). So he is worth a mid-2nd round pick (of which we have none) and anything less than that is not worth trading him. And no one will offer anything more than that pick so he won't be traded.

Old
01-12-2004, 11:58 AM
Histrion

Send a message via MSN to Histrion
I don't really know what is the value of that guy, he got some moves, speed and he sometime shows flashes of brilliance. This season, though, he seems to be having a lot of trouble putting the puck in the net.

Still, I don't know what we could give up for him. Maybe a pick? But what kind of pick does he worth?

Old
01-12-2004, 12:16 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianBurke
Morozov appears to be one of those guys that benefited by having a super-super-super star centre to play with (see Vitali Yachmenev with Gretzky).
Without that talented player to feed him, Morozov appears to be nothing more than another tantalizing waste of god-given talent.
I wouldn't mind seeing the Canucks take a gamble on him to play with the Sedins (they could use a finisher).
What would I be willing to give up? Nothing more than a decent 2nd rounder I'm afraid.
Well, somewhat true. He was on pace for a great year last season, playing alongside Mario, before he got injured after only 25 games or so. But his breakout season was the one before that, with no Mario in the lineup, in which he posted 49 points in 72 games. Far from great, but pretty interesting for a talented guy playing on a weak team. As you say, a worthwhile gamble at the right price.

Old
01-12-2004, 12:34 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

wow... surprising to see pittsburg fans give him so little value...

huge difference here between the worth of Morozov and Huselius being discussed in the other thread... to me they seem like very similar players...

Morozov is a year older, but has struggled just as much in the last couple years... Huselius did manage to still get 20 goals last year, but played horrible for long stretches... whereas Morozov was injured, but was on pace for 27 goals through the year.

to me they seem like similarily valued players... both have talent, both show a lack of heart and determination.

yet Pittsburg fans here are suggesting his value isn't that high (swap for Fedor Fedorov and a mid pick) whereas Florida fans seem to think Huselius is worth more than Matt Cooke

Old
01-12-2004, 01:10 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Frankly, I wouldn't even give up a 2nd round pick for the guy.
Me neither. A prospect such as Fedor Fedorov and a 4th round pick is the most I'd offer.

Quote:
That said, I wouldn't be completely adverse to getting him - but how much money does he make, and when is his contract up?
He's making $1.5 mil and will be a RFA at season's end. Very manageable salary, and the fact that his contract is up at the end of the year means the Canucks could take a gamble on him, and if it doesn't pan out, don't re-sign him.

Old
01-12-2004, 01:14 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO
yet Pittsburg fans here are suggesting his value isn't that high (swap for Fedor Fedorov and a mid pick) whereas Florida fans seem to think Huselius is worth more than Matt Cooke
I think it has more to do with the team's situations and perhaps the individual player's situations. Florida is competing for a playoff spot and likely won't trade most of their players for future picks/prospects. Pittsburgh on the other hand has shown that anyone is available, and likely for cheap. On top of that, this is really Huselius' first poor season. Morozov on the other hand has been with the Pens for 7 years and has really only had one good season, 2001-02 in which he scored 20 goals and 49 points. The rest of the season's have either been filled with inconsistent play or riddled with injuries. It's understandable why Pens fans may be willing to trade Morozov quicker than Panther fans would with Huselius.

Old
01-12-2004, 02:31 PM
spence___

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO
wow... surprising to see pittsburg fans give him so little value...
Not every Pen's fan. Morozov hasn't been playing all that badly, he makes some really nice plays but it seems as if their's never anyone there to finish them. He's also had shown some really good chemistry with Kraft.

Closed Thread