HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The season is young, but do you secretly wish...

Old
10-19-2007, 11:12 AM
Habs

vCash: 500
The season is young, but do you secretly wish...

We actually don't have a terrible record, we lost to a team much superior to ours. However, do you secretly wish the Habs have a terrible year, so they can finally draft a franchise forward?

Good teams have to stink it up now and then. Montreal always manages to just make the playoffs, or barely miss it. The sky isn't falling, but wouldn't it worth it to have the club finish very low in the standings, so the team can get that franchise player?

Since Bob Gainey refuses to address the real issues on this team... {size, character, grit etc} perhaps he'll get the royal boot as well.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2007, 11:15 AM
TroyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
We actually don't have a terrible record, we lost to a team much superior to ours. However, do you secretly wish the Habs have a terrible year, so they can finally draft a franchise forward?

Good teams have to stink it up now and then. Montreal always manages to just make the playoffs, or barely miss it. The sky isn't falling, but wouldn't it worth it to have the club finish very low in the standings, so the team can get that franchise player?

Since Bob Gainey refuses to address the real issues on this team... {size, character, grit etc} perhaps he'll get the royal boot as well.
This is the complete opposite of how I feel actually. And yeah we have no size or character coming up in our prospect pool, and of course our team has no character players already....

TroyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2007, 11:18 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I don't wish it, secretly or otherwise. I'm a big draft follower and all, but I think there are a lot of ways to skin the cat of cup contention these days. We lucked out in the lottery and got a #5 pick already - one that might turn out to be our franchise player. We've also drafted a few other guys who our staff had rated in the top-10 of the draft. So despite not having the big #1 or #2 pick, maybe we've collected a few players already who are a bit better than our draft position might otherwise have entitled us to.

Past that, there's free agency... hopefully one day it will help get us the component to "put us over the top" moreso than just to fill gaps.

I don't wish for us to pick in the top-5 of the draft this year... but at the same time, I've thought for the past few months that it's a legitimate possibility anyway. There are always silver linings. I'd rather cheer for the team in the playoffs than at the draft lottery, however.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2007, 11:19 AM
Maxpac

Can you imagine the Habs drafting Doughty!

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2007, 11:22 AM
Tuggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I'd rather cheer for the team in the playoffs than at the draft lottery, however.
That sums it up for me. Do people really want to lose every night so we can draft player that *might* be a franchise player in 5 years?

There is a lot of parity in the league and outside of Ottawa, I don't think there is one team in the East that is a surefire Stanley Cup contender. This team showed last night that they can skate with the best and a different bounce here or there and we might of won. Drafting first overall doesn't mean you are guaranteed a franchise player.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2007, 11:24 AM
habfan4

To paraphrase the question:

Do you secretly wish you were a Penguins or Carolina Hurricanes fan?

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2007, 11:32 AM
znk

No...that's crap.

What you're supposed to wish is to eat crow and hope they do better than you expect. Like I did with Dandenault. I want to eat crow about Carbonneau because the bottom line is I want this team to win.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2007, 11:35 AM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post

Steven Stamkos = Spezza/Forsberg combination and the player we should all wish we get !! (finally a legetimate 1st line center / right handed / with size!!)

Jeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2007, 11:42 AM
Form and Substance

Doughty looks like a Markov clone from what I've seen, which is great. He might even be better eventually. Pietrangelo looks awesome too. Looks like the top end is pretty damn good next year.

Form and Substance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2007, 11:45 AM
les Habs

I don't know that I want that to happen, but I would like to start seeing some changes as far as player personnel. Higgins and Komisarek are proven entities to me. However after them none of our picks who've played strike a ton of confidence in my. Plekanec I like too and I think Price will pan out. After that though I have some question marks.

What concerns me most though is that they're almost spinning their wheels with veteran players. Everybody kept saying that trading Souray last Xmas would have sent the wrong message to the team (especially the veterans). Well what message did this summer send to them? It's not like we lit up the team with a trade or free agency. I like Hamrlik, but we lost Souray and so in a basic sense simply stayed the same.

I don't have all the answers and we don't know all the facts, but IMO something needs to change at this point. How long is this "building" phase going to be allowed to go on?

les Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2007, 11:48 AM
BLONG7

The Habs are not in a market that allows a full tanked season to get a bona fide #1 Superstar pick...this is the sad truth...they could however, try to make a deal before draft day each year, that could allow this to happen. Personally, I could never hope tha Habs have a bad season to get a good pick, just couldn't do it...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2007, 12:17 PM
Nobak

They're 2-2-2 and everyone's already up in arms.

Can you imagine what it'd be if they tanked and finished dead last?
I don't want to see that.

Nobak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2007, 12:25 PM
cjbhab
Go Habs Go

I want to see us do well, I don't know what to think .. I thought about having a terrible season last night, but then why are we playing the games?

I want to see a trade soon, I want a coach who makes proper lines and adjustments and matchups. If Carbo can do that, well then fine, stay,but if not, don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.

cjbhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2007, 12:42 PM
CBBRH

Send a message via MSN to CBBRH
Do we have some other teams' pick/picks for the upcoming draft or have we traded our picks?

CBBRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2007, 12:52 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post

No' cause right now, I believe 2008 will look like 2003 with a lot of good choices in the top 30, where #30 might actually be better than #5. So what's the point in wishing we suck while nowhere are we guaranteed to actually get a better player in the end. It's not like it's a Crosby year....but it's tons of great prospects year.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2007, 12:53 PM
Pascal

The team needs to stick to the course they set on some years ago. They are rebuilding very well, despite what some of the people here think. Lots of good young players and more coming up (McDonaugh/Max Pac/Kost/Maxwell/White/etc)

Habs fans need to be patient and not expect us to win the cup this year, or even next. It takes time to rebuild correctly and there are no shortcuts.

You're way too quick to push on the panic trigger.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2007, 12:53 PM
HockeyF3ind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
or Traverse

HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote