HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Marc Staal

Old
10-20-2007, 08:27 PM
13o13

vCash: 500
Marc Staal

So how he's doing?
I watched his stats (TOI) and i was'nt realy impressed...Only 13mins per game...
So i'm looking for get some information about this great prospect.
Do you think he's the future #1 D-man in NYR or Tyutin and Giraradi future look brighter?

13o13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2007, 08:37 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13o13 View Post
So how he's doing?
I watched his stats (TOI) and i was'nt realy impressed...Only 13mins per game...
Do you think he's the future #1 D-man in NYR or Tyutin and Giraradi future look brighter?
Tyutin and Girardi have more NHL experience, therefore their play is generally better then Staal's, given time I'm sure they all will be looking like capable future number one d-men.

Staal has been playing very well, especially compared to other players on the team as of yet. 13 minutes a game is a little less then what he should be getting, he should be cutting close to 15-16 minutes a game.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2007, 09:05 PM
Levitate

Renney is fairly cautious with rookies, so his minutes are less indicative of his play and more indicative of Renney's ideas on how to handle him

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2007, 09:09 PM
In The Flesh

Staal has looked pretty calm which is good from a rookie d man, no real glaring mistakes, he'll be straight

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2007, 09:23 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

hes looked like a rock to me. i think his ice time is more or less perfect. let him get acclimated before you throw him to the wolves.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2007, 09:48 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

I think he's doing well. He'll take a while to get up to speed but the vision and positioning is there and when he does mess up, he's been able to catch up and get back into the play, save a few times he was covering his partner's mistakes or there was miscommunication, but that will be fixed next season when he's playing with Mike Sauer He jumps into the plays well and has been pretty good at keeping the puck in the zone. I'm happy with the way Renney is handling him. The same way he did with Girardi last season who averaged around 15 min a game. I expect Staal to be getting 18-20 minutes by the end of the season.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2007, 09:49 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Renney is fairly cautious with rookies, so his minutes are less indicative of his play and more indicative of Renney's ideas on how to handle him
meanwhile when some dman make the same mistake he continues to play them, but when a rookie makes a mistake their ice time gets cut. all the players on the team should be treated the same

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2007, 09:50 PM
Edge

The skill is all there, you can see it.

He's a rookie so he'll make some mistakes, but overall he does all the little things you want a defenseman to do.

His rookie year will be like his NHL career, under the radar but very, very solid.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2007, 10:30 PM
storm fan

Staal

How many games can Staal play without having to go through wavers if he is sent to Hartford? Is it 10 games or am I thinking of something else?

storm fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2007, 10:47 PM
Draft Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm fan View Post
How many games can Staal play without having to go through wavers if he is sent to Hartford? Is it 10 games or am I thinking of something else?
Thinking of something else. He can be sent down at any time.

Draft Guru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2007, 11:13 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
I loved how he carried the puck into the offensive zone today. I really thought today's game was his most complete so far. He'll QB the PP before too long.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2007, 11:35 PM
RedLightDistrict

Went to the game today, here are my thoughts on Staal:

1st period: Really pumped to see him in play, thought he seemed a little jittery, but otherwise ok
2nd: Renney may have benched him partially/limited his amount of time, i think i only saw him on the ice for two shifts...did seem particuarly nervous
3rd: Marc definately stepped it up on the third, played the body well especially in the second half of the period. Positioning more or less sound...I think he may not be fully synched up in chemistry with the forward lines...but Mara at least seems to be patient with him, and is willing to step in when Marc may experience an abberation in play

RedLightDistrict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2007, 12:29 AM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13o13 View Post
So how he's doing?
You watched his stats -- which was time on ice -- and you weren't impressed?

What the hell is that supposed to mean? That's a pretty stupid way to evaluate someone. So you're not impressed because a rookie isn't leading the team in ice time?

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2007, 05:22 AM
dank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post

What the hell is that supposed to mean? That's a pretty stupid way to evaluate someone. So you're not impressed because a rookie isn't leading the team in ice time?
hey Jon, you've been very fiesty lately. how goes the ferret, and the girlfriend?

as for Staal, he's getting his "sea legs" and doing very well for now. couldn't ask for more at all..

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2007, 08:55 AM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Everything's good. I'm just annoyed with stupid questions on our board.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2007, 12:22 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
hes looked like a rock to me. i think his ice time is more or less perfect. let him get acclimated before you throw him to the wolves.
This could be taken a few different ways. I wonder if that was your intention lol

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2007, 07:48 PM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
To me, he has looked very average, which isn't a bad thing necessarily. So far, his offensive game is non-existent. He looks to be very cautious, and seems a little afraid to shoot the puck, though yesterday he did handle it a little more than I expected him to at one point. However, his D has been pretty good. Nothing to call home about, but nothing to be disappointed about. He definitely hasn't been a liability, but he's no Brian Leetch either.

HVPOLARBEARS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2007, 08:36 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVPOLARBEARS19 View Post
To me, he has looked very average, which isn't a bad thing necessarily. So far, his offensive game is non-existent. He looks to be very cautious, and seems a little afraid to shoot the puck, though yesterday he did handle it a little more than I expected him to at one point. However, his D has been pretty good. Nothing to call home about, but nothing to be disappointed about. He definitely hasn't been a liability, but he's no Brian Leetch either.
He's not an offensive defenseman though. He's not expected to score goals and lead the rush, especially at 20.

Old
10-21-2007, 08:52 PM
TheZherdev

Quote:
Comparing him to brian leetch is like comparing apples and oragnes. Leetch was an offensively gifted defenseman, but in the defense itself he was just above average. Staal is the other way around.

TheZherdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2007, 09:17 PM
2Leetch_94

Bobby Sanguienetti is the "Brian Leetch" style defenseman. Average on defense, but can rack up the points and make flashy plays, etc.

Staal has offensive skills, just isn't going to blow anyone away and will take time for him to show everything he's capable of. He's still young and learning, good to see he hasn't shown that he's over his head at the NHL level. We'll continue to see improvement as the season goes on.

2Leetch_94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2007, 09:32 PM
John Torturella

If anyone expected Staal to come up and be Scott Niedermeyer in his first handful of games this season they are out of their minds. The best thing for a rookie defenseman is to fly under the radar with a few great plays every now and then. For instance last year Dan Girardi was solid, you never noticed him. Now he is starting to be more physical and you notice him more as time goes by. With MArc Staal, I have seen more impressive plays with each game. The NHL gamespeed is much faster than juniors so its gonna take some time for him to get acclimated, but he gets better and better each game.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2007, 09:42 PM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackburn2727 View Post
Comparing him to brian leetch is like comparing apples and oragnes. Leetch was an offensively gifted defenseman, but in the defense itself he was just above average. Staal is the other way around.
You're misunderstanding my point. I'm not saying that their games are comparable. Actually, I'm saying that Leetch is exactly what he's not. This guy asked about Staal, so I was trying to point out that he's not offensive, and is more of a defensive guy but hasn't particularly stood out like Phaneuf did.
I think we're actually agreeing haha.

HVPOLARBEARS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2007, 09:43 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post

He/she obviously isn't fluent, take a chill pill.

BobMarleyNYR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2007, 10:11 PM
Edge

Quote:
You're misunderstanding my point. I'm not saying that their games are comparable. Actually, I'm saying that Leetch is exactly what he's not. This guy asked about Staal, so I was trying to point out that he's not offensive, and is more of a defensive guy but hasn't particularly stood out like Phaneuf did.
I think we're actually agreeing haha.
Not quite, you're saying he's looked very average and a little afraid to shoot the puck.

That would make sense if that was him game. But Staal's entire game is based around positioning, shutting guys out playing defensive hockey. Of those elements, I think he's done quite well.

The problem is that if someone isn't a checker or a scorer they're seen as being average and that's just not the case. Those are things that catch your eye, not necessarily things that make you better than average. I think we have to view it as all relative to the style of play.

Old
10-21-2007, 10:16 PM
MidnightRanger

Send a message via AIM to MidnightRanger
He has made great defensive plays. He doesn't look like he'll be a great offensive D-man but man is he a great defensive player. He single handedly disarmed a Boston Bruin yesterday that could have scored as the entire Ranger team was caught changing and Staal stopped them by himself. He is going to be an awesome shutdown guy. I just don't think he'll score a lot. But it doesn't matter cus thats what Sanguinetti will be for. That defensive paring will be ABSOLUTELY SICK someday.

MidnightRanger is offline   Reply With Quote