HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

The Good, The Bad thus far...

Old
10-21-2007, 01:46 AM
DontStaal

vCash: 500
The Good, The Bad thus far...

I've had a lot of things on my mind thru 6 games. I wanna first say that in no way am do I feel we should panic, I mean its just 6 games, but some things haven't been going our way. The passes aren't connecting, players look lost at times, and the play is just not flowing. That said, we have too many good players, proven winners, to have this not work.

So i just felt like assessing the issues at hand

The Good:
  • Henrik Lundqvist has been playing superb
  • I think we've found a number 1 defensive pairing in Tyutin and Girardi
  • Going with that theme, both have really been stepping it up offensively, especially toots who looks really confident out there
  • Jaromir Jagr's looking solid, everyone else around him not so much
  • Marc Staal is starting to hit people and make good plays with the puck
  • Petr Prucha is playing great hockey, getting up after every hit, and never stops moving his feet. It's a matter of time before he starts banging them home. Always puts the puck deep and has his nose in the right spots around the net... you gotta love the guy
  • Chris Drury doing the little things that have made him a winner (his defensive play is really under the radar)... his offense has to show up eventually
  • While he's no offensive wizard, Blair Betts is playing great defensive hockey and blocking shots... right where he left off last year
  • Brandon Dubinsky seems to be picking up his game and showing good offensive abilities. He seems to be getting more confident with the puck and that should warrant more ice time
  • Nigel Dawes getting a fair shot although seems a bit hesitant with Jagr.

The Bad:
  • Where are Colton Orr and Ryan Hollweg? The two have been invisible out there where you need them - they go for our best guys, you go for theirs!
  • Ryan Callahan. Guy hustles his butt off, but to me seems like he's getting nowhere this year. Takes shots in wrong situations and seems to miss good passing opportunities
  • Marek Malik - before today it was just "what the *$#& are you doing?" But have to give him credit, i felt he played a good game today.
  • While he's been getting up, how long will Petr Prucha be the target of blows to the head? Is the time gonna come when he just can't get up after such a hit?
  • Injuries of Avery and Straka today suck big time.
  • Shanahan is shooting from all angles but the pucks arent goin in. We have to get lucky eventually... right? .... Right?
  • Which leads me to, where are the goals? We've been shutout in 15 of our last 20 periods! That's absurd for a team with such offensive weapons.
  • The PP has been very inconsistent. We're supposed to make teams pay for taking penalties against us, but the PP has looked very frustrating with guys obviously on the wrong page.
  • Lastly, what is up with Scott Gomez? We're paying the guy what, 10 million to swoop into the offensive zone and lose the puck while he's mauled by 4 defenders? And apparently, the guy has no shot, well no wonder! Scott, get a bigger stick, that thing is like 3 feet tall, no wonder you cant get it off the ice! I've been fairly disappointed with him so far

This said I feel there are some things Renney should definitely address, maybe shuffle up the lines a bit, do some team bonding, etc. The pieces are definitely in place, it's just that everyone has to get on the same page. When that happens, and it should with some more games under our belt, we'll be a pretty tough team to beat. But the only piece we have in place right now, and the only thing that is keeping us in games is Henrik Lundqvist. Props to him

DontStaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2007, 09:20 AM
nyrcallahan24
nomvegannom

the only thing the rangers need to work on is scoring. Their D was fine last game and lumpy was perfect (except the shootout)

nyrcallahan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2007, 10:45 AM
stc1709*

Send a message via AIM to stc1709*
shootout aint henrys fault, we cant even score a freakin goal in a shootout how do you expect us to score during the game..lol unreal

stc1709* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2007, 10:56 AM
in the hall

your good is a bit too much of an optimistic view on things

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2007, 11:00 AM
NYROrtsFan

Agree that it is a bit too optimistic.

Guys like Drury and Gomez have to start figuring out how to get some chemistry with the guys they are playing with.

I actually like the way SHanny has been playing outside of the fact that none of his shots are going in.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2007, 11:02 AM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontStaal View Post
I've had a lot of things on my mind thru 6 games. I wanna first say that in no way am do I feel we should panic, I mean its just 6 games, but some things haven't been going our way. The passes aren't connecting, players look lost at times, and the play is just not flowing. That said, we have too many good players, proven winners, to have this not work.

So i just felt like assessing the issues at hand

The Good:
  • Henrik Lundqvist has been playing superb
  • I think we've found a number 1 defensive pairing in Tyutin and Girardi
  • Going with that theme, both have really been stepping it up offensively, especially toots who looks really confident out there
  • Jaromir Jagr's looking solid, everyone else around him not so much
  • Marc Staal is starting to hit people and make good plays with the puck
  • Petr Prucha is playing great hockey, getting up after every hit, and never stops moving his feet. It's a matter of time before he starts banging them home. Always puts the puck deep and has his nose in the right spots around the net... you gotta love the guy
  • Chris Drury doing the little things that have made him a winner (his defensive play is really under the radar)... his offense has to show up eventually
  • While he's no offensive wizard, Blair Betts is playing great defensive hockey and blocking shots... right where he left off last year
  • Brandon Dubinsky seems to be picking up his game and showing good offensive abilities. He seems to be getting more confident with the puck and that should warrant more ice time
  • Nigel Dawes getting a fair shot although seems a bit hesitant with Jagr.

The Bad:
  • Where are Colton Orr and Ryan Hollweg? The two have been invisible out there where you need them - they go for our best guys, you go for theirs!
  • Ryan Callahan. Guy hustles his butt off, but to me seems like he's getting nowhere this year. Takes shots in wrong situations and seems to miss good passing opportunities
  • Marek Malik - before today it was just "what the *$#& are you doing?" But have to give him credit, i felt he played a good game today.
  • While he's been getting up, how long will Petr Prucha be the target of blows to the head? Is the time gonna come when he just can't get up after such a hit?
  • Injuries of Avery and Straka today suck big time.
  • Shanahan is shooting from all angles but the pucks arent goin in. We have to get lucky eventually... right? .... Right?
  • Which leads me to, where are the goals? We've been shutout in 15 of our last 20 periods! That's absurd for a team with such offensive weapons.
  • The PP has been very inconsistent. We're supposed to make teams pay for taking penalties against us, but the PP has looked very frustrating with guys obviously on the wrong page.
  • Lastly, what is up with Scott Gomez? We're paying the guy what, 10 million to swoop into the offensive zone and lose the puck while he's mauled by 4 defenders? And apparently, the guy has no shot, well no wonder! Scott, get a bigger stick, that thing is like 3 feet tall, no wonder you cant get it off the ice! I've been fairly disappointed with him so far

This said I feel there are some things Renney should definitely address, maybe shuffle up the lines a bit, do some team bonding, etc. The pieces are definitely in place, it's just that everyone has to get on the same page. When that happens, and it should with some more games under our belt, we'll be a pretty tough team to beat. But the only piece we have in place right now, and the only thing that is keeping us in games is Henrik Lundqvist. Props to him

No disrespect bud, but there has not been a worse player on the ice then Jagr. I counted at absurd amount of turnovers by Jagr alone last game. He looks terrible out there he looks lost with the puck and consistantly beaten. Hes had a few glimpses of the OLD jagr, nothing more.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2007, 11:28 AM
DontStaal

Well i'm trying to be optimistic in what i see as "good" because there really isn't much right now, just flashes of it.

As for Jagr, I can see your point, but i feel at the moment he is really missing a playmaker like Nylander, so all im saying is that he looks motivated and is taking the puck to the net. And no disrespect taken lol, it is an opinion, but i feel that he's trying to make things happen by himself out there a bit (trying to take the game into his own hands - someone can view that as good or bad. During the 05-06 season that's how we mostly won our games, on Jagr's back) Either way I think he has to start producing sooner or later (he does had 8pts in 7 games tho).

Personally, i feel Gomez has looked much worse if we can make that argument. It like you leave NJ and that trap style of play, and you come here, you'd think his production would skyrocket

DontStaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2007, 01:09 AM
viventi

you said renney should shuffle up the lines a bit...doesnt he DO THAT EVERY DAY??

viventi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2007, 01:18 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

I would make a simpler version.

The Good: our defense. (7th in NHL), young players getting chances.

The Bad: our offense. (last in NHL), winless on the road, injuries.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2007, 12:31 PM
Jay88*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontStaal View Post
[*]Lastly, what is up with Scott Gomez? We're paying the guy what, 10 million to swoop into the offensive zone and lose the puck while he's mauled by 4 defenders? And apparently, the guy has no shot, well no wonder! Scott, get a bigger stick, that thing is like 3 feet tall, no wonder you cant get it off the ice! I've been fairly disappointed with him so far[/LIST]:
Ive been saying this forever, guy was greedy and got the money, play like your worth it.And at the moment he looks like a big waste of time and money. Would have rather had Nylander. And had been saying it since day one.

Jay88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2007, 01:02 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay88 View Post
Ive been saying this forever, guy was greedy and got the money, play like your worth it.And at the moment he looks like a big waste of time and money. Would have rather had Nylander. And had been saying it since day one.
Gomez is an easy target. Where's our superstar RW?

10-22-2007, 01:21 PM
Jay88*

The GOOD: NYR has 2 wins and its better than none. Henk is playing great hockey.

The bad: Everything, people are getting injured, scorers arent scoring, defenseman are out of position, as well as fowards,bone head passes and clearing attempts, not shooting opn the power play all they do is pass to Jagr. I mean should I stop or keep going?

Old
10-22-2007, 01:26 PM
Jay88*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Gomez is an easy target. Where's our superstar RW?
ok, Jagr makes the big money, and has always produced, no matter what.Especially since day one when he came here. Now I know Gomez is no super star like Jagr, but they are getting very similar money. Yes, its only 6 or 7 games, but im seeing not a thing. Jagr will come around, but when will Gomez and when he does is his game worth 10 mill this season 7 each for the next 6 years, or what ever the deal was?

thats the real question will Gomez come along, cause Jagr will, plus Jagr is 35 and carried this team for 2 or 3 years already.

Old
10-22-2007, 01:54 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay88 View Post
ok, Jagr makes the big money, and has always produced, no matter what.Especially since day one when he came here. Now I know Gomez is no super star like Jagr, but they are getting very similar money. Yes, its only 6 or 7 games, but im seeing not a thing. Jagr will come around, but when will Gomez and when he does is his game worth 10 mill this season 7 each for the next 6 years, or what ever the deal was?

thats the real question will Gomez come along, cause Jagr will, plus Jagr is 35 and carried this team for 2 or 3 years already.

Jagr has produced. But he's not producing. Gomez is a playmaker. He needs linemates who are going to score. Might be a chicken or egg thing but if Jagr is scoring, Gomez looks better.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2007, 02:13 PM
Jay88*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Might be a chicken or egg thing but if Jagr is scoring, Gomez looks better.
Yes you are right. i guess at the moment you cant pin point one person, if thats what you are trying to say. But we dont need Jagr making Gomez look good, thats good for Hossa, but no SG who is making 10 mill this season.

So either way they both need to help each other and not have one make the other look good.