HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

goalie skating

Old
10-17-2007, 04:34 PM
DevsFan84

vCash: 500
goalie skating

Ok, I finally got a chance to skate with my shiny new goalie skates. I got them sharpened to a "standard" goalie radius, and took them out on the ice.

Um, yeah....I fell. I felt glued to the ice, at least with any lateral movement. Turning was awkward, to say the least. But after about an hour, I got the hang of it and was skating pretty well. But as far as lateral movements...can anyone offer any pointers, techniques, etc?

Yes, i'm completely new to this, and thanks for any help...and I don't mind if you laugh at me

DevsFan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2007, 06:15 PM
Bear of Bad News
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 663
How's your T-push? That's the first lateral thing I would work on.

Bear of Bad News is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2007, 06:31 PM
sharkticon

I never found it that hard. A little awkward the first time i skated in my goalie skates, but i got the hang of it pretty quickly. Most noticeable difference is the ability to lean back/stand straight up without falling back (due to the flat blade).

sharkticon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 03:25 AM
CareyPrice x 31

vCash: 5000
start with t pushes.
once your comftorble with that you can start practicing to move laterally without having to turn your skate. I cant really explain it, its just a movement that you gotta pick up on your own once you learn how to uses the edges of the blade.

CareyPrice x 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2007, 05:24 PM
DevsFan84

ugh...i really need to find some camps or something. I don't even know what a t push is

DevsFan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2007, 10:11 AM
Bear of Bad News
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 663
Let's say that you want to go to the right. Just make your skates form a "T" by turning your right skate 90 degrees to the right. Now push off of your left skate (which is still facing forward). That's it!

Bear of Bad News is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2007, 08:49 AM
MikeD

Most shops will put a 1/2" ROH on hte goalie skate. Honestly, It is a grind with a lot of bite and can bea very hard grind to start with. I suggest on your next grind, going up to 7/8" roh. You will find less bite for easier shuffles. When shuffling sideways remember the weight shift is to the drive skate, allowing the lead skate to shave the ice in hte drive direction.

With each grind after this move down by 1/8" amounts. When you hit a grind that you dont like(too much bite) move back up to the last you did like.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2007, 08:47 PM
MikeD

heres a link to copy of two articles. One on T-push and the other on Shuffles. Hope they help you out.

http://www.hawksice.com/shuffle_tpush.jpg

its a large image so be patient if using dial up. Sorry, but still have to reinstall my PDF creator after a complete system rebuild. right click and select SAVE IMAGE AS to store to your hard drive.

To add in regarding finding your ideal grind.....

When your going through the selection process to find your "happy" ROH you should start nearer to 1" and work downward towards the 1/2" ROH. Going from most bite to least costs you A LOT of skate blade. With the deeper ROH of the lower grind. adjusting upward to a shallow means they have to grind below this deeper hollow.

ROH explained:

The TRI GRIND:

ROH check:

Profile check: Not that mine are done with a 30' Radius profile. The blade is NOT flat on its profile. Yours would have no gaps between blade and straight edge.

attaching toe ties for good rotation: Use this knot set up to provide consistant slack for pad rotation and recovery. Gap between knots is 1-1.5" depending on the individual...it allows the skate gusset to slide over the top of the skate, allowing the cowling to make contact with the ice before the goalie has edge loss. Consequently, it takes a lesser degree of knee lift to also regain the skate blade edge for your recovery.

Last edited by MikeD: 10-20-2007 at 09:04 PM.
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2007, 08:28 PM
elvisisalive

I haven't played for a few years now, but I hated getting my goalie skates sharpened. They would dig in too much and I couldn't slide side to side. I always ended up scraping my blades up against the goal post so as to dull them down to my liking. As a youngster I watched Gump Worsley do that once on HNIC. It sounds like a brutal thing to do, but My skates would last me over ten years. With today's technology, hopefully you can get them sharpened to your liking

elvisisalive is offline   Reply With Quote