HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers now = Rangers pre Sean Avery

Old
10-21-2007, 04:52 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

vCash: 500
Rangers now = Rangers pre Sean Avery

just missing that killer instinct?

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2007, 04:58 PM
The Thomas J.*

we certanily are.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2007, 05:00 PM
In The Flesh

pretty much this team is weak without him

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2007, 05:01 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

I love Jagr. I will always defend him as one of the all time greatest players EVER.

His post -loss locker room interviews are horrible. The Captain needs to suck it up and be more positive.

Jagr was the clearest example of the change to the team when Avery arrived last season. Its like JJ is so uberly talented but just so sensitive to the envirorment around him. If its a downer he's Doooooooooooown. If it's up and fiesty , he's the *** man.

Old
10-21-2007, 05:09 PM
Smashley

thread title says it all.

Smashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2007, 05:39 PM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleandshoot View Post
I love Jagr. I will always defend him as one of the all time greatest players EVER.

His post -loss locker room interviews are horrible. The Captain needs to suck it up and be more positive.

Jagr was the clearest example of the change to the team when Avery arrived last season. Its like JJ is so uberly talented but just so sensitive to the envirorment around him. If its a downer he's Doooooooooooown. If it's up and fiesty , he's the *** man.
jagrs interviews are horrible, always looks annoyed and ticked off, he's the ***** cpt, he needs to speak

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2007, 06:27 PM
Smashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
jagrs interviews are horrible, always looks annoyed and ticked off, he's the ***** cpt, he needs to speak
with an obscure joke or two thrown in after a good win.

Smashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2007, 12:52 AM
viventi

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post

yeah i always thought the same thing, he even brings me down...christ.

jagr is amazingly talented but he reminds me of a 10 year old girl sometimes...(still love em though)

viventi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2007, 09:24 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Avery has a tough injury too. As hard as he plays, cant rush his return.

Old
10-22-2007, 09:28 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I don't think we're missing the killer instinct. We just look out of sorts on the ice. We're not as tough and gritty without Avery for sure, but with the group we have there is no way we ought to be where we are right now.

Gomez and Drury are both winners, and Drury certainly possesses that killer instinct, so I don't think that's what we're lacking. I'm pretty confident that once these guys loosen up a bit and really get in sync that we'll be just fine. I know the start of this season has been hard to stomach, but I'm still not too worried.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2007, 09:29 AM
ZenBaja

Avery is a genius! His timing is perfect, he's set to come off the IR just around the time the Rangers starting putting it all together and go on a win streak. I wonder if he paid Neil to injure him, all in the sake of contract negotiations :p

-Z

ZenBaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2007, 09:43 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenBaja View Post
Avery is a genius! His timing is perfect, he's set to come off the IR just around the time the Rangers starting putting it all together and go on a win streak. I wonder if he paid Neil to injure him, all in the sake of contract negotiations :p

-Z
You know, you're probably right on the $$$ with that post.

Old
10-22-2007, 09:52 AM
94now

Man, stop the panic please! Out of 7 games 5 were against very good goalies. Gerber (twice), DiPietro, Fernandes, Hedberg. These were 4 L and 1OTL. We outshot every team we played. Prior to Avery arrival we weren't a better-team-that cannot-score we are now. We were a team with subpar goaltending that looked like defense problem. We were losing the games, while scoring enough to win. Lundqvist's magical turn around simply coincided with Avery trade last year.

"This team needs much more then Sean Avery" - Jagr. T

True then, true now, but for entirely different reasons.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2007, 09:56 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Last year at this time we were *****in about the D and Nylander passing the puck to himself instead of shooting. Infact we *****ed alot about not shooting the puck in the general. Doesnt seem to be a problem now.

I guess really it was that post game Jagr interview that just brought my head back to last year pre Avery.

Old
10-22-2007, 10:02 AM
TheMetalChick*

I am not coming by and trying to fight, but this has skyrocketed and I really wanted to say something. I think many Ranger fans are deifying Avery as if he is friggin Messier or something. Sure he seemsed to really give the team a spark, but come on- he isnt the captain and he isnt the absolute magic he is being painted out to be by so many rangers fans!

My Ranger-loving friends sound like broken records... the "if only Avery was here..." "I wish Avery was here..." "Too bad Avery isnt here..." "Avery would get things going..." "Avery would help with chemistry..." etc etc etc etc The collective Avery mantra is getting out of control and is being repeated more than a Buddhist mandala chant.

Fact is, the rest of the Rags are going to have to get it together without him. And they have plenty of time to do so considering the season just started. If he comes back during the season and makes things even better, good for the team... but all this wistful "If only HE was here, everything would be perfect" talk seems out of control. LOOK at the guys on your team... fact is, the ones there right now, healthy, are objectively much better players than Avery.

NO great team falls apart to nothingness without one guy- unless he is a super-dynamic all-time kind of guy like Mario, Messier (see I admitted that), Bourque, etc. Avery just doesnt belong in that kind of category, sorry! And I know this sounds strange coming from an Isles fan, but IMO many of you Rags fans are selling all the guys on your team short by thinking that the Rangers are that fragile that the absence of this one player means THAT much.

Last edited by TheMetalChick*: 10-22-2007 at 10:09 AM.
TheMetalChick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2007, 10:04 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

You forget that Avery is our Butch Goring

Old
10-22-2007, 10:09 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

In all honesty, the game on Saturday, I've never seen Jagr so lazy on the ice at some parts. He was off and on. Sometimes he was moving, sometimes he was just gliding the whole time.

Avery needs to lose the emo/hipster look, he's gonna start crying everytime he gets hit. You guys need a high hit energy boost to get the team going again that he's supposed to provide, but he's not.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2007, 10:58 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnightRU View Post
In all honesty, the game on Saturday, I've never seen Jagr so lazy on the ice at some parts. He was off and on. Sometimes he was moving, sometimes he was just gliding the whole time.

Avery needs to lose the emo/hipster look, he's gonna start crying everytime he gets hit. You guys need a high hit energy boost to get the team going again that he's supposed to provide, but he's not.
How does he do that from the IR

Old
10-22-2007, 06:05 PM
Ola

I agree with the title, but not sure if I agree with what its supposed to mean.

We didn't have any balance before we got Avery. We don't got any balance today. And balance, or having playing a good team game, is so darn important. However, I am not sold on that we will get that balance as soon as Avery returns...

I am pretty worried about that; I am not sold on that it will work itself out. And I am a pretty optimistic guy.

The problem I got is that I can't see a good surronding, on this team, for Chris Drury...

This team would IMO be a contender;
Straka-Gomez-Jagr
Avery-Gomez-Shanahan
Prucha-Dubinsky-Cally
Hossa-Betts-Orr

Though, I don't belive in Avery-Drury-Shanny. I don't belive in Straka/Hossa-Drury-Jagr. I might belive more in Prucha-Drury-Callahan, in theory atleast, but not enough.

I think Drury needs to be paired with very individually skilled players to have success, don't matter if they are flawed or something, Drury is very good at covering for others, and is great at acknowledging what needs to be done. I am pretty sure thats why Renney put him with JJ comming out of camp. But JJ is so extreme in how he wants it to be done, that it just didn't work with Drury, and JJ also gets extreme attention from the other team; which proved too much for the combination of Jagr and Drury, atleast early in the season.

The best fit we got right now, probably don't got Avery on the top 2, its IMO;
Hossa-Gomez-JJ
Straka-Drury-Shanny

And I don't really like any of thoose lines allot. I am sure we will keep testing formations allot this season, cause the obvious ones just haven't clicked. Its not that they have struggled, they have been awful, and obvious bad fits.

I don't think a coach in the NHL can have success with lines that his team don't belive in. You can't try desperate lines before the players are desperate. Maybe we will have a simular record like last season for half the season, and then strike gold with what we got, if we find the right balance. These are desperate lines I could think of having better balance then what we got right now:

Alt 1
Drury-Gomez-Jagr//Gomez and JJ would be occupied with their stuff, and Drury could worry about taking care of the rest. I think I've seen hints of chemistry between these 3 on the PP.
Avery-Callahan-Shanny//This is the kind of enviorment Shanny needs, two guys who work extremely hard, and forecheck extremely hard. Shanny would have to play some cleanup hockey defensivly with thoose two, but he does that really well. I think they could develop some chemistry. Wouldn't be allot of passing, but they would be great at winning the puck back.
Staka-Dubinsky-Prucha
Hossa-Betts-Orr

Alt 2
Hossa-Dubinsky-Jagr
Dawes-Gomez-Callahan
Avery-Drury-Prucha
Straka-Betts-Shanny

//This is a whacko lineup. It the one we might have some success with if Jagr never really gets back on track. We need 4 lines that work no matter what, but this lineup would give us 4 potential solid lines. Of course Dawes, Callahan and Prucha would have to step up big time. When we went into the season we all had opinions on who is good, and where certain guys should play, thoose are all mixed up on this lineup. But I think the balance is good. If Dawes& Cally could score on a 30g pace with Gomez, it could work, in combination with a good PP.

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2007, 06:11 PM
DevFan-RU-

Send a message via AIM to DevFan-RU-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleandshoot View Post
How does he do that from the IR
BUUUURNED! Sorry JL, he got you there.

DevFan-RU- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2007, 07:22 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Alt 2
Hossa-Dubinsky-Jagr
Dawes-Gomez-Callahan
Avery-Drury-Prucha
Straka-Betts-Shanny

//This is a whacko lineup. It the one we might have some success with if Jagr never really gets back on track. We need 4 lines that work no matter what, but this lineup would give us 4 potential solid lines. Of course Dawes, Callahan and Prucha would have to step up big time. When we went into the season we all had opinions on who is good, and where certain guys should play, thoose are all mixed up on this lineup. But I think the balance is good. If Dawes& Cally could score on a 30g pace with Gomez, it could work, in combination with a good PP.
I actually am kinda really intrigued by this lineup. The only concern I would have is who would be your enforcer, to protect guys from cheapshot artists. If there would be a way to move a defensemen or two (not saying any names M&M) and receive a couple of take no crap defensemen (like a Purinton but w/ more skill) this lineup I think would be really good.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2007, 07:46 PM
Gert B Frobe

Rangers appear to be missing a lot more than Avery these days (like scoring). It's nice his teammates think the world of him but he really is not that good.

It's early as hell and the defense/goalie seem fine.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2007, 10:56 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
I
Alt 2
Hossa-Dubinsky-Jagr
Dawes-Gomez-Callahan
Avery-Drury-Prucha
Straka-Betts-Shanny

//This is a whacko lineup. It the one we might have some success with if Jagr never really gets back on track. We need 4 lines that work no matter what, but this lineup would give us 4 potential solid lines. Of course Dawes, Callahan and Prucha would have to step up big time. When we went into the season we all had opinions on who is good, and where certain guys should play, thoose are all mixed up on this lineup. But I think the balance is good . If Dawes& Cally could score on a 30g pace with Gomez, it could work, in combination with a good PP.
That's certainly interesting, but I don't think Dubi would work as a first line center. I really agree with the idea of having 4 balanced lines as opposed to having 2 "uber" lines and then trying to hash a 3rd and 4th line out of whats left. I'm really impressed by what Carolina is producing with 4 solid lines.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2007, 01:46 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

No matter how you look at it, Avery will spark this team when he comes back. It's just the style he plays... even if he doesn't carry the team or improve it dramatically when he comes back, he's bound to spark it for a few games.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2007, 05:48 AM
NYRJurgen88

Send a message via MSN to NYRJurgen88
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBud View Post
No matter how you look at it, Avery will spark this team when he comes back. It's just the style he plays... even if he doesn't carry the team or improve it dramatically when he comes back, he's bound to spark it for a few games.
i dont think, as some suggest, that this team will suddenly get better just because Avery gets back, just as i think they may have been in this rot with him.... however he is an important aspect of the team, he draws attention away from our main scorers and can set a tone.

He'll certainly add to the team when he comes back but i think he'll be coming back to a winning team. there's too much talent for this to continue.

If anything, i also miss Avery as an extra scoring threat on the team.... he's yet another guy other teams have to be aware of.... that in itself is a huge loss

NYRJurgen88 is offline   Reply With Quote