HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Get Rid of Hollweg!

Old
10-21-2007, 09:07 PM
hlundqvist30*

vCash: 500
Get Rid of Hollweg!

Does someone want to remind me why I'm supposed to like Hollweg? I see so many people supporting the guy, and acting like he actually does something for this team. Jagr and Prucha are here to score. Betts and Hossa are here for their defensive abilities. Girardi and Tyutin are here to stop the puck from going into the net. Colton Orr is here to protect teammates. Can someone explain what Hollweg brings to the table besides running around like headless chicken trying to hit people? If there was a stat for blatently taking yourself out of the play just so you can attempt to hit someone, he would probably lead the league. I would have so much rather have kept Ortmeyer, but that is in the past. There are options in Hartford such as Greg Moore or Hugh Jessiman, or maybe even Dane Byers. The only one I worry about is Byers because he is still a little young, but the other 2 don't exactly have much more to prove in the AHL. Byers and Moore would add a little more speed while helping defensively. Jessiman would add size in front of the net and a physical presence. They can't possibly contribute less than Hollweg. Or how abou Scatchard, who Tom Renney seems to think would be better suited replacing Dubinsky .

I'll concentrate on Greg Moore for a second. He had 25 points last year in Hartford, and while that isn't exactly earth shattering he isn't an offensive player. He would be a huge help on the PK, meaning no more shot blocking for guys like Straka (broken finger). Moore is bigger, younger, faster, and has better offensive abilities and MUCH better defensive abilities than Hollweg has or will ever have. Moore wouldn't really be the answer to any offensive issues the team clearly has, but I am 99% sure that Moore could go a full season with more than 3 points and 1 goal that was gift-wrapped by Jagr. Ryan is a good person, but I don't see why Ranger fans are obsessed with him when he clearly isn't the solution to anything.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2007, 09:17 PM
Bretzky*

Totally agree. I've been saying this for a while. He was a refreshing player to have 2 years ago when we were used to having effortless, energyless players. But now that this team has improved itself in all other areas, we have younger players who can fill his spot and bring hitting as well as some size, and offense (that stuff that wins games). Hollweg can't even accept passes that are right on his stick and he makes horrible pass attempts. He doesn't scare anyone unless he's boarding them from behind, which doesn't help us. He has become very expendable.

Bretzky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2007, 09:18 PM
MidnightRanger

Send a message via AIM to MidnightRanger
I have never liked him, he's a weak hitter when he doesn't level dirty hits. And he is virtually useless offensively and mediocre defensively. He looks visibly out of shape too. I think he needs to sit. It's bad enough Orr is a mediocre fighter and we need him in there right now specially with Avery out. But Hollweg brings ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to the table.

MidnightRanger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2007, 09:21 PM
Synergy27

I was thinking the same thing during the game yesterday. Hollweg was a breath of fresh air to this team, but I really think his time has come and gone. The fact that the NHL put him on that list of players to be warned has taken even more of his value away.

I would like to see Byers get a couple of games on the 4th line, not Moore though.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2007, 09:38 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
That's not fair to Orr... he's become a very good enforcer, hanging with guys like Belak and McGrattan. Not only that, his mobility and checking has improved.

Hollweg can't stickhandle, shoot, pass, play D, win faceoffs or fight. He can skate throw hits when he wants to.

Only problem is, he might have the lowest trade value of any 2-year veteran in the league... you'd be hard-pressed to get an 7th rd pick for him.

Put him on a third line with Scatchard in Hartford. More rookie wouldn't be the answer... maybe while Avery is out, we could give Korpikoski or Byers a shot there.

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2007, 09:59 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

People like him because he hits. Not good enough for me. We need to start getting at least one other somewhat talented player on that line. Insert Byers or Moore if we are looking for more offense ( who could very well be breaking out at the pro level this year ), heck or defense, he can play the defensive end as good as anyone. Betts and Moore would be good together IMO.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2007, 10:31 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Hollweg hits and sticks up for his teammates. He was a breath of fresh air in an era of slow skating, low energy players but he does not figure into our long term plans. I'd much prefer if we kept Ortmeyer over Hollweg this season. The checks aren't as big but at least you're getting some good PK out of him. Is he still on Nashville's 1st line? anyways... Ideally you'd want a big hitter, good fighter, big tank contributing forward like Chris Neil. His hit on Avery was not far off from some of the hits Hollweg has thrown so like Barnaby, Kasparitis, and even Petrovicky, I'm sure we'd love him if he was on our side. I don't know if we'll develop any players like that though as they are quite rare. Byers might have a chance to develop into such a player but we'll have to wait and see. If we were to lose all our UFAs this summer without signing any new forwards, using forwards who could be ready, you could see something like this next season. And that's not including Anisimov who should probably consider playing wing if he wants to crack this line up.

Hossa-Drury-Jagr
Dawes-Gomez-Cherepanov
Prucha-Dubinsky-Callahan
Korp/Byers-Betts-Bourret/Moore

Point being we have lots of good talent coming up the pipe line so Hollweg is quite expendable. He's not bringing anything new to the table that a younger player could not.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2007, 10:35 PM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretzky-StaalFor07 View Post
Totally agree. I've been saying this for a while. He was a refreshing player to have 2 years ago when we were used to having effortless, energyless players. But now that this team has improved itself in all other areas, we have younger players who can fill his spot and bring hitting as well as some size, and offense (that stuff that wins games). Hollweg can't even accept passes that are right on his stick and he makes horrible pass attempts. He doesn't scare anyone unless he's boarding them from behind, which doesn't help us. He has become very expendable.
What the hell are you giong to get for him?

All of you are haters!! Hollweg is awsome. If they took Orr off his line he'd be able to do more, but since Orr can't even skate he's a liabilty and Hollweg has to watch what he does, he can't skate around and hit people anymore. But If he doesn't even hit anymore then he's as good as gone, don't know where he'll go and I'll be sad since I loved the HMO line and everybody will be gone but this is the NHL, you have to contribute somehow.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2007, 10:36 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

odd that now some time has passed we've seen Colton Orr really makes some impovements to his game while Hollweg seems same as he ever was, maybe a few less bad over zealous penalties.

10-21-2007, 10:37 PM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
Hollweg hits and sticks up for his teammates. He was a breath of fresh air in an era of slow skating, low energy players but he does not figure into our long term plans. I'd much prefer if we kept Ortmeyer over Hollweg this season. The checks aren't as big but at least you're getting some good PK out of him. Is he still on Nashville's 1st line? anyways... Ideally you'd want a big hitter, good fighter, big tank contributing forward like Chris Neil. His hit on Avery was not far off from some of the hits Hollweg has thrown so like Barnaby, Kasparitis, and even Petrovicky, I'm sure we'd love him if he was on our side. I don't know if we'll develop any players like that though as they are quite rare. Byers might have a chance to develop into such a player but we'll have to wait and see. If we were to lose all our UFAs this summer without signing any new forwards, using forwards who could be ready, you could see something like this next season. And that's not including Anisimov who should probably consider playing wing if he wants to crack this line up.

Hossa-Drury-Jagr
Dawes-Gomez-Cherepanov
Prucha-Dubinsky-Callahan

Point being we have lots of good talent coming up the pipe line so Hollweg is quite expendable. He's not bringing anything new to the table that a younger player could not.
i agree with all of that.

Old
10-21-2007, 10:37 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post

All of you are haters!! Hollweg is awsome. If they took Orr off his line he'd be able to do more, but since Orr can't even skate he's a liabilty and Hollweg has to watch what he does, he can't skate around and hit people anymore. But If he doesn't even hit anymore then he's as good as gone, don't know where he'll go and I'll be sad since I loved the HMO line and everybody will be gone but this is the NHL, you have to contribute somehow.

sorry bro Colton > Hollywood

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2007, 10:40 PM
DontStaal

i for one think we need a 4th line that can score... send holly and orr to the press box and put in moore, byers or korpi

DontStaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2007, 10:40 PM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleandshoot View Post
sorry bro Colton > Hollywood
I know, I know its sad when it comes down to that, Orr really can't play hockey, If you put him in the ECHL could he put pts. Idk. He's a good fighter and we need one. Has Orr even fought once this season, he's played every game too right?

Old
10-21-2007, 10:48 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

I've been saying this forever, also. He's a wasted roster spot.

But I will say this...if the Rangers weren't in last place, nobody would be saying anything. It's only when the losses pile up does the fine tooth comb come out.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2007, 10:56 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
I know, I know its sad when it comes down to that, Orr really can't play hockey, If you put him in the ECHL could he put pts. Idk. He's a good fighter and we need one. Has Orr even fought once this season, he's played every game too right?
He has a role, and at this point he's doing it well. He will have to fight, but players are well aware of the damage Colton can do to them. He can break your face. Just knowing that keeps some in line. No one is in fear of Hollywood throwing down. No one that matters at least

Hollywood can agitate a little like Avery but he has nothing to back it up. He plays small minutes and has virtually no scoring ability in the NHL

Old
10-21-2007, 10:59 PM
The Big Apple

You can bash Hollweg all you want, but he is the least of our problems at the current time..... Getting rid of him and putting byers in his spot isn't magically going to make this team score more goals and win more games.....

The Big Apple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2007, 11:05 PM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Apple View Post
You can bash Hollweg all you want, but he is the least of our problems at the current time..... Getting rid of him and putting byers in his spot isn't magically going to make this team score more goals and win more games.....
you ROCK

Old
10-21-2007, 11:06 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Apple View Post

TRUE

although just 1 goal from ANYONE would have won the last game

Old
10-21-2007, 11:07 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleandshoot View Post
He has a role, and at this point he's doing it well. He will have to fight, but players are well aware of the damage Colton can do to them. He can break your face. Just knowing that keeps some in line. No one is in fear of Hollywood throwing down. No one that matters at least

Hollywood can agitate a little like Avery but he has nothing to back it up. He plays small minutes and has virtually no scoring ability in the NHL
No one stays in line because of Orr. No one stays in line because of anyone. This is one of the great fallacies of hockey lore.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2007, 11:16 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
as soon as Byers is ready he's done for anyway.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2007, 11:21 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
No one stays in line because of Orr. No one stays in line because of anyone. This is one of the great fallacies of hockey lore.

I cant agree with that. Its somewhat psycholgical, but the policing works. The tough guys fight the tough guys 99% of the time, but if someone runs Henrik he must be beatdown with passion.

Old
10-21-2007, 11:45 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Quote:
Originally Posted by God Is Avery View Post
as soon as Byers is ready he's done for anyway.
I laughed when I read this... why do you say that? Do you plan on bumping him off?

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2007, 11:52 PM
The Thomas J.*

I'm so done with Hollweg too.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2007, 11:54 PM
rangers4ever2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post

Hossa-Drury-Jagr
Dawes-Gomez-Cherepanov
Prucha-Dubinsky-Callahan

yup, our future 3rd and 4th lines are:

prucha-dubinsky-callahan
byers-betts-moore

now let's figure out what the 1st and 2nd lines will be

rangers4ever2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2007, 12:05 AM
Bretzky*

Quote:

Expendable means he is replaceable. It doesn't mean trade-able. I never implied that we'd trade Hollweg. He can play in the AHL or be a regular scratch. Don't really care either way. Nobody would claim him on waivers.

Bretzky* is offline   Reply With Quote