HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Having to change roles

Old
10-23-2007, 10:39 PM
Sensfanman

vCash: 500
Having to change roles

Ok, I've been a center/LW my entire playing career (minus a year as a goalie way back when). My focus has always been keeping back playing high (easy back check) and a strong passing game. Now my team has almost no finishing so I have decided I'll convert myself to a scoring winger. I have a decent shot and can carry the puck into the zone (usually set up a pass) but now I have to figure out what to do. Should I try and shoot from anywhere? Crash the net (I would still like to keep a LW lock style)? Play more perimeter? Also, how can I work on getting my shot of faster? I assume most will come with practice/trial + error but any tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sensfanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2007, 11:41 PM
XweekendwarriorX

Quote:
Originally Posted by familyguyman View Post
Ok, I've been a center/LW my entire playing career (minus a year as a goalie way back when). My focus has always been keeping back playing high (easy back check) and a strong passing game. Now my team has almost no finishing so I have decided I'll convert myself to a scoring winger. I have a decent shot and can carry the puck into the zone (usually set up a pass) but now I have to figure out what to do. Should I try and shoot from anywhere? Crash the net (I would still like to keep a LW lock style)? Play more perimeter? Also, how can I work on getting my shot of faster? I assume most will come with practice/trial + error but any tips would be appreciated. Thanks.
You gotta find a spot on th ice your comfortable with when shooting and taking shots at the net just make sure there on net or else it wont do much good. to get it off faster you just gotta work on it at practise thats how i was able to get a wuick shot off from either a one timer or a quick snap.

XweekendwarriorX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2007, 10:00 AM
Steelhead16

Can your linemates bring the puck in or are you a one man show? If they have any speed or skill and can bring the puck in I would suggest trailing the play to a place you like to shoot from and having the puck fed there. Brett Hull was a master of this. If you have to be a power forward and you have some speed maybe set up some plays with the other 4 guys on your line to chip the puck into the neutral zone for you to chase down. You have to trust that they can get it out since you'll be leaving your position early in order to be behind the defense. Not knowing the skill level of everyone involved it's kind of tough to be very specific but I hope that helps a little.

Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2007, 10:31 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I just joined a new team, we're having some serious scoring issues.

I'm close to the fastest skater, at least fastest forward, and when I bring the puck in, I like to go full speed, attack the net, and try to either set up a play or get a quick shot on net. BUT, my guys can't keep up with me and by the time I get in the zone, the only ones with me are the other teams D and center, and my guys are screwing around in the neutral zone. So I either work down into the corner or get a shot off, and it inevitable gets turned over and they get a rush as our guys aren't fast enough to go the other way.

Last night I came up with a couple ideas:

1. Move to center and let the slower skaters take wing, that way they dictate the pace of the line and we all forecheck at once.

2. Draw the defenders on the forecheck and dump the puck along the boards to buy some time in hopes that my RW can catch up to the play and get on the forecheck, and maybe even center the puck to me for a shot on goal.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2007, 04:25 PM
Sensfanman

While I am not really a one man show, as my skating isn't the fastest, I use my smarts (which I have loads of) to read the play, which is why I focused on making plays so much. I am liking the idea of trailing the play as it lets me keep on the defensive and still be able to dictate the play like I can. I think I'll do some stick and puck or shooting pad practice when I get a free night to get my shot off quicker. I guess going from passer to shooter isn't the best call but playing a more hybridized role should help the team more.

In terms of skill around me, most players are pretty quick (our most talented players are playing D) and can usually keep up with the play. They are a bit lazy and tend to lay off the forecheck favouring the back check. This gives our team a bit of a defense first mentality, but scoring 2 goals a game is not acceptable for this level of hockey.

Thanks for the tips everyone!

Sensfanman is offline   Reply With Quote