HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Cornell v. BU @ MSG

Old
10-22-2007, 10:58 AM
Choice

vCash: 500
OT: Cornell v. BU @ MSG

Anyone going to that? I believe its November 24th.

I have a bunch of relatives and friends that went to Cornell so I think I should be able to find some people who will be down to go with me.

I've been to AHL, major junior, Superleague but never top-level NCAA hockey so I'd definitely like to check it out.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2007, 11:08 AM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyChoice View Post

I have a bunch of relatives and friends that went to Cornell so I think I should be able to find some people who will be down to go with me.

I've been to AHL, major junior, Superleague but never top-level NCAA hockey so I'd definitely like to check it out.
I got tickets to it from one of my friends who has a half-season package. I've never gotten to see either team, but I did see my fair share of ECAC and Hockey East teams when I was at school at Holy Cross, who play a bunch of non-conference games against those conferences.

And both teams are expected to be good again this year (not national-title good, but typically strong seasons once again), so it should be a very good game.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2007, 11:31 AM
xander

You're damn right I am. Believe it or not, the game is almost sold out (The Cornell ticket office only has 400 level seats left, but you never know what might be released a week or so before puck drop.) When the game was announced most of us where going to be happy with 12,000 or so seats filled, so this is really just fantastic. Certainly a game I've had circled for almost a year now (since rumors about it started to surface.) if you've never been to a college hockey game before, this is a great place to start. Traditionally these are two of the loudest and best traveling fan basis, and ther is a rivalry that goes back fourty years (Before the split in the early 80s, the ECAC encompassed both t he present league and the hockey east teams.) It's been more than 20 years since we played BU on a regular basis, but we still shoult "Screw BU" twice a game at Lynah. It's about time for another round.

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2007, 11:50 AM
Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander View Post
You're damn right I am. Believe it or not, the game is almost sold out (The Cornell ticket office only has 400 level seats left, but you never know what might be released a week or so before puck drop.) When the game was announced most of us where going to be happy with 12,000 or so seats filled, so this is really just fantastic. Certainly a game I've had circled for almost a year now (since rumors about it started to surface.) if you've never been to a college hockey game before, this is a great place to start. Traditionally these are two of the loudest and best traveling fan basis, and ther is a rivalry that goes back fourty years (Before the split in the early 80s, the ECAC encompassed both t he present league and the hockey east teams.) It's been more than 20 years since we played BU on a regular basis, but we still shoult "Screw BU" twice a game at Lynah. It's about time for another round.
Damn. Well I gotta get my tickets soon.

Old
10-22-2007, 02:53 PM
xander

thought I would link a previous thread about this that had some pertinent information:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...l%2C+BU%2C+MSG

Old
10-22-2007, 04:22 PM
zacn

Yeap, I'll be there. Really excited to see a good college hockey game.

zacn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2007, 04:25 PM
Transported Upstater

I wish I could be there.

I miss seeing the Big Red live.

Transported Upstater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2007, 04:37 PM
Casmatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander View Post
You're damn right I am. Believe it or not, the game is almost sold out (The Cornell ticket office only has 400 level seats left, but you never know what might be released a week or so before puck drop.) When the game was announced most of us where going to be happy with 12,000 or so seats filled, so this is really just fantastic.
Wow, that's great. I am a huge college hockey fan and to see a college game at MSG close to sold out is great to see. I'd love to see a tournament regional or the frozen four played at MSG someday. Actually, I'm not sure why that hasn't happened already.

Casmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2007, 05:11 PM
Choice

Probably because the Garden just has so much other stuff going on they couldnt fit that in. Especially a frozen four regional.

Should be cool. I expect it to be a Cornell crowd considering how many alums are in the city (incl. my dad, uncle, aunt and two cousins so I'll be in the Cornell group).

Old
10-22-2007, 05:24 PM
Casmatt

Quote:
Probably because the Garden just has so much other stuff going on they couldnt fit that in. Especially a frozen four regional.
They could easily fit it in. A regional only requires two days, Friday-Saturday or Saturday-Sunday. Frozen Four is three days Thursday- Semifinals, Friday- Team practices and Hobey Baker award, Saturday- National Championship Game. They could fit it in, all it would require is for the Knicks and Rangers play away games for a few days.

I should probably buy my tickets to this Cornell/BU game now, seeing as tickets might be running out. Not really sure who to cheer for in this one, as a BC fan, I hate both sides of this one. I probably hate Cornell less, but not by much. Maybe I'll cheer for a tie

Casmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2007, 06:09 PM
xander

College hockey has been played at MSG in the past. Part of the history associated with this game is that BU and Cornell did play each other at the garden a few times during the 70's, the heyday of the rivalry.

Old
10-22-2007, 06:14 PM
xander

Quote:

Should be cool. I expect it to be a Cornell crowd considering how many alums are in the city (incl. my dad, uncle, aunt and two cousins so I'll be in the Cornell group).
It should be a relively even split. I know the Cornell ticket office keeps requesting more tickets from MSG because they're selling so well, but all indications are that BU is selling it's fair shair of tickets as well.

Old
10-22-2007, 06:38 PM
xander

for those that can't make it to the game/get tickets, it will be televised live on CSTV.

(If you can't already tell, I'm going to use this opportunity to shamelessly promote both the game and cornell hockey over the next month.)

Old
10-22-2007, 07:21 PM
patnyrnyg

I am probably going. I went to Cornell for a year, still root for them. Probably going with my one friend I still have from that place, who is now my best friend.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2007, 07:53 PM
Transported Upstater

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
I am probably going. I went to Cornell for a year, still root for them. Probably going with my one friend I still have from that place, who is now my best friend.
What school?

I gave consideration to leaving as well because the school was ripping me a new one, but I stuck it out. I'm glad I did, because any academic problems I see in graduate school are not as bad as what I saw at Cornhell.

I miss parts of Cornell a lot. I don't miss the massive toll being a student there (at least in my major) takes on you.

Old
10-22-2007, 07:56 PM
patnyrnyg

HumEc, nutrition major, wanted to get into physical therapy. Football team got me in, just wasnt the right fit for me. Part of me now wishes I stuck it out, but oh well.

Old
10-22-2007, 08:02 PM
Transported Upstater

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
HumEc, nutrition major, wanted to get into physical therapy. Football team got me in, just wasnt the right fit for me. Part of me now wishes I stuck it out, but oh well.
Where did you transfer to, out of curiosity?

Old
10-22-2007, 08:30 PM
Jay88*

Quote:

Was down in Itaca this weekend. My friend has a house and rents out 5 rooms to all these college kids, I felt like I was in a Fraternity. Anyway, we were supppose to go to the game, but the night b4 was long and I wasnt waking up at 10am to get ready to watch college football, it was like a mini vacation ( after 5 hours of driving from the gte go ). Im only a hockey fan, so i would have been bored either way.

Jay88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2007, 09:56 PM
Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transported Upstater View Post
What school?

I gave consideration to leaving as well because the school was ripping me a new one, but I stuck it out. I'm glad I did, because any academic problems I see in graduate school are not as bad as what I saw at Cornhell.

I miss parts of Cornell a lot. I don't miss the massive toll being a student there (at least in my major) takes on you.
Ha this is turning into a Cornell thread.

My impression of the school is that its really tough early on, both quality of life-wise and academically but if you stick it out and find your niche as an upperclassman it can be a great place and a lot of fun.

One of my best friends graduated from there and loves the place, still has tons of friends from there. While my cousin is 26 and still hasn't graduated.

Old
10-23-2007, 05:11 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transported Upstater View Post
Where did you transfer to, out of curiosity?
At first Nassau CC. I decided not to go back in early June, soit was way to late to apply to a four year school. Did a year there then went to Hofstra.