HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Power Rankings - First Page Life Is Over

Old
11-06-2007, 04:10 PM
Doctor Spin

vCash: 500
Sportsline #6

CBJ are #6 on the Sportsline Power Rankings up from #15 last week. 3rd in the West.

http://www.sportsline.com/nhl/powerrankings

Doctor Spin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 04:21 PM
Paisano*
Jury is still out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJFan in Cincy View Post
Up to #4 on TSN now.

Jackets serving up some serious crow to the NHL pundits right now.
http://www.tsn.ca/fantasy_news/feature/?fid=548

Definetly looks better!

Paisano* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 04:27 PM
Doctor Spin

CP and Yahoo

Also 7th on Canadian Press Rankings and 5th on Yahoo! Sports BTW.

Seven years without playoffs makes a fan savor even this form of irrelevant recognition.

Doctor Spin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 05:25 PM
Lodewijk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Spin View Post
Also 7th on Canadian Press Rankings and 5th on Yahoo! Sports BTW.

Seven years without playoffs makes a fan savor even this form of irrelevant recognition.

Not totally irrelevant, when it comes to bandwagon fans buying up empty seats, based on some national attention and respect.

While we all despise the bandwagon fan, they serve a necessary purpose in the Hockey food chain and must be tolerated.

Lodewijk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 05:36 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Power rankings are a simple tool.....check the current or most recent standings then rank.....

They are based on past not future.....I'm not surpised at all in the current rankings of 7 and up, we are ranked 6 in the league right now....

The one thing that has me amazed is our abilty to control the puck and the games....there are mechanical reasons such as winning FO's and good goaltending but there is something else stats don't reveal-Hitchcock and the players buying his plan....they are a confident and dedicated group right now.

I think the Jackets can beat anyone, including Detroit....the fun is just beginning...

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 06:05 PM
Kfarschman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodewijk View Post
While we all despise the bandwagon fan, they serve a necessary purpose in the Hockey food chain and must be tolerated.
Bring on the bandwagon fans!! I don't care as long as they are fans of the Bluejackets.

Kfarschman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 06:10 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Power rankings are a simple tool.....check the current or most recent standings then rank.....

They are based on past not future.....I'm not surpised at all in the current rankings of 7 and up, we are ranked 6 in the league right now....

The one thing that has me amazed is our abilty to control the puck and the games....there are mechanical reasons such as winning FO's and good goaltending but there is something else stats don't reveal-Hitchcock and the players buying his plan....they are a confident and dedicated group right now.

I think the Jackets can beat anyone, including Detroit....the fun is just beginning...
Since you bring up faceoffs...

Here's something I've noticed in this area. So many FOs are not won at the drop of the puck by the two centermen's sticks, but in the scrum that often follows. The Jackets rarely used to win these, but now are a good (anecdotally, from my vantage point) 50-50. This is a big improvement.

Old
11-06-2007, 06:14 PM
hashmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
Since you bring up faceoffs...

Here's something I've noticed in this area. So many FOs are not won at the drop of the puck by the two centermen's sticks, but in the scrum that often follows. The Jackets rarely used to win these, but now are a good (anecdotally, from my vantage point) 50-50. This is a big improvement.
This is a good observation. The draws that are 'up for grabs' (not won cleanly) perhaps have been better than in the past but apparently still not good enough by Hitch's standards (you gotta love it) it is EXACLTY what they worked on in practice today.

While working on the pp the defenders have their sticks turned upside down. Well today both centers had their sticks turned that way at the faceoff in an effort to create that scenario which allowed them to work on those type of battles.

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 06:35 PM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kfarschman View Post
Bring on the bandwagon fans!! I don't care as long as they are fans of the Bluejackets.
ALL ABOARD!!!!

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 07:31 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by willien View Post
This is a good observation. The draws that are 'up for grabs' (not won cleanly) perhaps have been better than in the past but apparently still not good enough by Hitch's standards (you gotta love it) it is EXACLTY what they worked on in practice today.

While working on the pp the defenders have their sticks turned upside down. Well today both centers had their sticks turned that way at the faceoff in an effort to create that scenario which allowed them to work on those type of battles.
Excellent.
It's my observation that this area is already much improved. (I doubt it's a stat readily available, so I'll have to take my word on it.) The centerman's skates are important as is the effort of the players positioned to either side of the drop. IMO these areas were pathetic in the past. A lot of this strikes me as just a team "buy-in" issue, but it's good to know it's being coached - as one would assume it would be.

Double-Shift Lassť is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 07:38 PM
forktie

i really wish we were still a bit more under the radar.
all this positivity is scaring me.

forktie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 08:03 PM
Bobcat110

Jackets ranked 5th on Sagarin and Central Division 2nd toughest division behind Northeast

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/nhl0708.htm

Bobcat110 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 08:26 PM
3mta3

The best part of this thread is 'Fan saying he's recruiting people to join in the ignore the media's rankings brigade.

We were in the cellar before and no one watched. It's easy to see that no one is still watching from the descriptions given in their blurbs. Read some recaps, look at a few stats and whip something together.

3mta3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 08:44 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kfarschman View Post
Maybe we should take out an ad in the Buffalo News!

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 09:36 PM
hashmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3mta3 View Post

We were in the cellar before and no one watched. It's easy to see that no one is still watching from the descriptions given in their blurbs. Read some recaps, look at a few stats and whip something together.
It is true. They all talk about Leclaire and the goaltending, but in reality, but for the first St. Louis game and then the 2nd period in the second St. Louis game, Leclaire's shutout were very much team shutouts. Not to take anything away from the way he is playing, but the teams early success is much more than just good goaltending.

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 11:13 PM
Bobcat110

#7 for Sports Illustrated
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...gs6/index.html

Bobcat110 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2007, 06:48 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat110 View Post
That's where I would put them.... Montreal and Philly should be higher...., Minnesota?, I don't about them being so high in light of their recent losing streak but they had a very good start...

Ths writers mention of the next 7 games within the division is a good one, we should know how good the Jackets really are in the next two weeks....

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2007, 08:42 AM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
That's where I would put them.... Montreal and Philly should be higher...., Minnesota?, I don't about them being so high in light of their recent losing streak but they had a very good start...
In their defense, the losing streak coincides with some pretty important injuries. I think Minnesota is a great defensive team, but they don't have enough offense to win a Cup.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2007, 08:57 AM
cbjrocks

Quote:
The best part of this thread is 'Fan saying he's recruiting people to join in the ignore the media's rankings brigade.

Hockey Central gave some pretty decent time to the CBJ and talked as much about defense than goaltending. 'tho they did spelll PL's name wrong in one of the gfx.

I just don't get what you people want from the media.

cbjrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2007, 09:39 AM
3mta3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjrocks View Post
I just don't get what you people want from the media.
What fun would it be if I told you?!? You have to work for it baby. I don't give up all my secrets that easily.

Power rankings are about as important as People Magazine to me. Most of the people who put them out aren't doing enough due dilligence to make them worthy of serious discussion. I take them as a guy or two sitting around during lunch, wiping crumbs off the sports page (or their keyboards) and slopping something together. They make nice comments about the top few teams and try to get laughs on the bottom few and then they go on to their next item.

The entire concept is odd. Let's make our own system to rate teams instead of the standings!

3mta3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2007, 09:53 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:

...and I stand by that remark
Sportscenter is the devil.

Has any of the tabloidization and sensationalizing of hockey via the talking heads, slick graphics and the multitude of stat sites done anything to INCREASE attendance at hockey games across the country? -or caused an explosion in television ratings?

No. STAT OCD is merely a Canadian obsession with the minutae of the game creeping into God's own country. Border patrol my ass.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2007, 09:57 AM
darrmd

Best place to find all the updated rankins is at http://lightthelamp.blogspot.com/

The blog states that our average ranking this week is 4.7 up from 10.4 last week.

Always a strong and updated blog this one.

darrmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2007, 10:04 AM
Nordique

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrmd View Post
Best place to find all the updated rankins is at http://lightthelamp.blogspot.com/

The blog states that our average ranking this week is 4.7 up from 10.4 last week.

Always a strong and updated blog this one.
Cool site, bookmarked that one.

Noone mentions Nash in any of those power ranking blurbs. Kind of interesting, as his 10 goals in 13 games puts him on a 60 goal season pace.

Nordique is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2007, 10:28 AM
bendparker

Sportsline Power Rankings

Jackets at number 6. That may be putting them slightly too high, but I won't complain.

http://www.sportsline.com/nhl/powerrankings

bendparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2007, 11:43 AM
cbjrocks

Quote:
What fun would it be if I told you?!? You have to work for it baby. I don't give up all my secrets that easily.
Of course, I threw that in there just for you.

I agree with you 100%...this power ranking thing all stems from the BCS and crap like that. What always gets me is how seriously some on the board that it. It's fun, but it is not an insult.

cbjrocks is offline   Reply With Quote