HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Power Rankings - First Page Life Is Over

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-06-2007, 04:10 PM
  #51
Doctor Spin
Registered User
 
Doctor Spin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 148
vCash: 500
Sportsline #6

CBJ are #6 on the Sportsline Power Rankings up from #15 last week. 3rd in the West.

http://www.sportsline.com/nhl/powerrankings

Doctor Spin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 04:21 PM
  #52
Paisano*
Jury is still out...
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 1,384
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJFan in Cincy View Post
Up to #4 on TSN now.

Jackets serving up some serious crow to the NHL pundits right now.
http://www.tsn.ca/fantasy_news/feature/?fid=548

Definetly looks better!

Paisano* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 04:27 PM
  #53
Doctor Spin
Registered User
 
Doctor Spin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 148
vCash: 500
CP and Yahoo

Also 7th on Canadian Press Rankings and 5th on Yahoo! Sports BTW.

Seven years without playoffs makes a fan savor even this form of irrelevant recognition.

Doctor Spin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 05:25 PM
  #54
Lodewijk
 
Lodewijk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: O,H..........I,O
Country: United States
Posts: 269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Spin View Post
Also 7th on Canadian Press Rankings and 5th on Yahoo! Sports BTW.

Seven years without playoffs makes a fan savor even this form of irrelevant recognition.

Not totally irrelevant, when it comes to bandwagon fans buying up empty seats, based on some national attention and respect.

While we all despise the bandwagon fan, they serve a necessary purpose in the Hockey food chain and must be tolerated.

Lodewijk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 05:36 PM
  #55
Robert
Foligno family
 
Robert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: KY & Lime Lake NY
Country: United States
Posts: 30,182
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
Power rankings are a simple tool.....check the current or most recent standings then rank.....

They are based on past not future.....I'm not surpised at all in the current rankings of 7 and up, we are ranked 6 in the league right now....

The one thing that has me amazed is our abilty to control the puck and the games....there are mechanical reasons such as winning FO's and good goaltending but there is something else stats don't reveal-Hitchcock and the players buying his plan....they are a confident and dedicated group right now.

I think the Jackets can beat anyone, including Detroit....the fun is just beginning...

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 06:05 PM
  #56
Kfarschman
Registered User
 
Kfarschman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Deutschdorf, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 1,617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodewijk View Post
While we all despise the bandwagon fan, they serve a necessary purpose in the Hockey food chain and must be tolerated.
Bring on the bandwagon fans!! I don't care as long as they are fans of the Bluejackets.

Kfarschman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 06:10 PM
  #57
Double-Shift Lassť
Moderator
Just post better
 
Double-Shift Lassť's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Superurban Cbus
Country: United States
Posts: 17,861
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Power rankings are a simple tool.....check the current or most recent standings then rank.....

They are based on past not future.....I'm not surpised at all in the current rankings of 7 and up, we are ranked 6 in the league right now....

The one thing that has me amazed is our abilty to control the puck and the games....there are mechanical reasons such as winning FO's and good goaltending but there is something else stats don't reveal-Hitchcock and the players buying his plan....they are a confident and dedicated group right now.

I think the Jackets can beat anyone, including Detroit....the fun is just beginning...
Since you bring up faceoffs...

Here's something I've noticed in this area. So many FOs are not won at the drop of the puck by the two centermen's sticks, but in the scrum that often follows. The Jackets rarely used to win these, but now are a good (anecdotally, from my vantage point) 50-50. This is a big improvement.

__________________
"Every game, every point is a necessity." -- Ty Conklin, January 2007
"I'll have a chance to compete for the post of first issue. This is the most important thing." -- Sergei Bobrovsky, June 2012
Double-Shift Lassť is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 06:14 PM
  #58
hashmarks
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,830
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
Since you bring up faceoffs...

Here's something I've noticed in this area. So many FOs are not won at the drop of the puck by the two centermen's sticks, but in the scrum that often follows. The Jackets rarely used to win these, but now are a good (anecdotally, from my vantage point) 50-50. This is a big improvement.
This is a good observation. The draws that are 'up for grabs' (not won cleanly) perhaps have been better than in the past but apparently still not good enough by Hitch's standards (you gotta love it) it is EXACLTY what they worked on in practice today.

While working on the pp the defenders have their sticks turned upside down. Well today both centers had their sticks turned that way at the faceoff in an effort to create that scenario which allowed them to work on those type of battles.

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 06:35 PM
  #59
Skraut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Enter city here
Posts: 10,344
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kfarschman View Post
Bring on the bandwagon fans!! I don't care as long as they are fans of the Bluejackets.
ALL ABOARD!!!!

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 07:31 PM
  #60
Double-Shift Lassť
Moderator
Just post better
 
Double-Shift Lassť's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Superurban Cbus
Country: United States
Posts: 17,861
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by willien View Post
This is a good observation. The draws that are 'up for grabs' (not won cleanly) perhaps have been better than in the past but apparently still not good enough by Hitch's standards (you gotta love it) it is EXACLTY what they worked on in practice today.

While working on the pp the defenders have their sticks turned upside down. Well today both centers had their sticks turned that way at the faceoff in an effort to create that scenario which allowed them to work on those type of battles.
Excellent.
It's my observation that this area is already much improved. (I doubt it's a stat readily available, so I'll have to take my word on it.) The centerman's skates are important as is the effort of the players positioned to either side of the drop. IMO these areas were pathetic in the past. A lot of this strikes me as just a team "buy-in" issue, but it's good to know it's being coached - as one would assume it would be.

Double-Shift Lassť is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 07:38 PM
  #61
forktie
Registered User
 
forktie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: the 'Bus
Posts: 1,110
vCash: 500
i really wish we were still a bit more under the radar.
all this positivity is scaring me.

forktie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 08:03 PM
  #62
Bobcat110
Registered User
 
Bobcat110's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Central Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 3,251
vCash: 500
Jackets ranked 5th on Sagarin and Central Division 2nd toughest division behind Northeast

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/nhl0708.htm

Bobcat110 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 08:26 PM
  #63
3mta3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: how bad HF sucks
Posts: 3,175
vCash: 500
The best part of this thread is 'Fan saying he's recruiting people to join in the ignore the media's rankings brigade.

We were in the cellar before and no one watched. It's easy to see that no one is still watching from the descriptions given in their blurbs. Read some recaps, look at a few stats and whip something together.

3mta3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 08:44 PM
  #64
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"
 
leesmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 15,545
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kfarschman View Post
Bring on the bandwagon fans!! I don't care as long as they are fans of the Bluejackets.
Maybe we should take out an ad in the Buffalo News!

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 09:36 PM
  #65
hashmarks
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,830
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3mta3 View Post

We were in the cellar before and no one watched. It's easy to see that no one is still watching from the descriptions given in their blurbs. Read some recaps, look at a few stats and whip something together.
It is true. They all talk about Leclaire and the goaltending, but in reality, but for the first St. Louis game and then the 2nd period in the second St. Louis game, Leclaire's shutout were very much team shutouts. Not to take anything away from the way he is playing, but the teams early success is much more than just good goaltending.

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 11:13 PM
  #66
Bobcat110
Registered User
 
Bobcat110's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Central Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 3,251
vCash: 500
#7 for Sports Illustrated
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...gs6/index.html

Bobcat110 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2007, 06:48 AM
  #67
Robert
Foligno family
 
Robert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: KY & Lime Lake NY
Country: United States
Posts: 30,182
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat110 View Post
That's where I would put them.... Montreal and Philly should be higher...., Minnesota?, I don't about them being so high in light of their recent losing streak but they had a very good start...

Ths writers mention of the next 7 games within the division is a good one, we should know how good the Jackets really are in the next two weeks....

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2007, 08:42 AM
  #68
CapnCornelius
Registered User
 
CapnCornelius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,938
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
That's where I would put them.... Montreal and Philly should be higher...., Minnesota?, I don't about them being so high in light of their recent losing streak but they had a very good start...
In their defense, the losing streak coincides with some pretty important injuries. I think Minnesota is a great defensive team, but they don't have enough offense to win a Cup.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2007, 08:57 AM
  #69
cbjrocks
Registered User
 
cbjrocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 900
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3mta3 View Post
The best part of this thread is 'Fan saying he's recruiting people to join in the ignore the media's rankings brigade.

We were in the cellar before and no one watched. It's easy to see that no one is still watching from the descriptions given in their blurbs. Read some recaps, look at a few stats and whip something together.

Hockey Central gave some pretty decent time to the CBJ and talked as much about defense than goaltending. 'tho they did spelll PL's name wrong in one of the gfx.

I just don't get what you people want from the media.

cbjrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2007, 09:39 AM
  #70
3mta3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: how bad HF sucks
Posts: 3,175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjrocks View Post
I just don't get what you people want from the media.
What fun would it be if I told you?!? You have to work for it baby. I don't give up all my secrets that easily.

Power rankings are about as important as People Magazine to me. Most of the people who put them out aren't doing enough due dilligence to make them worthy of serious discussion. I take them as a guy or two sitting around during lunch, wiping crumbs off the sports page (or their keyboards) and slopping something together. They make nice comments about the top few teams and try to get laughs on the bottom few and then they go on to their next item.

The entire concept is odd. Let's make our own system to rate teams instead of the standings!

3mta3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2007, 09:53 AM
  #71
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan
 
JACKETfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Venice
Country: United States
Posts: 9,234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3mta3 View Post
The best part of this thread is 'Fan saying he's recruiting people to join in the ignore the media's rankings brigade.

We were in the cellar before and no one watched. It's easy to see that no one is still watching from the descriptions given in their blurbs. Read some recaps, look at a few stats and whip something together.
...and I stand by that remark
Sportscenter is the devil.

Has any of the tabloidization and sensationalizing of hockey via the talking heads, slick graphics and the multitude of stat sites done anything to INCREASE attendance at hockey games across the country? -or caused an explosion in television ratings?

No. STAT OCD is merely a Canadian obsession with the minutae of the game creeping into God's own country. Border patrol my ass.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2007, 09:57 AM
  #72
darrmd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Drinkin at the R-Bar
Country: United States
Posts: 1,262
vCash: 500
Best place to find all the updated rankins is at http://lightthelamp.blogspot.com/

The blog states that our average ranking this week is 4.7 up from 10.4 last week.

Always a strong and updated blog this one.

darrmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2007, 10:04 AM
  #73
Nordique
Registered User
 
Nordique's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 7,166
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrmd View Post
Best place to find all the updated rankins is at http://lightthelamp.blogspot.com/

The blog states that our average ranking this week is 4.7 up from 10.4 last week.

Always a strong and updated blog this one.
Cool site, bookmarked that one.

Noone mentions Nash in any of those power ranking blurbs. Kind of interesting, as his 10 goals in 13 games puts him on a 60 goal season pace.

Nordique is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2007, 10:28 AM
  #74
bendparker
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 4
vCash: 500
Sportsline Power Rankings

Jackets at number 6. That may be putting them slightly too high, but I won't complain.

http://www.sportsline.com/nhl/powerrankings

bendparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2007, 11:43 AM
  #75
cbjrocks
Registered User
 
cbjrocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 900
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3mta3 View Post
What fun would it be if I told you?!? You have to work for it baby. I don't give up all my secrets that easily.
Of course, I threw that in there just for you.

I agree with you 100%...this power ranking thing all stems from the BCS and crap like that. What always gets me is how seriously some on the board that it. It's fun, but it is not an insult.

cbjrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:08 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.