HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would you trade Legace?

Old
10-22-2007, 03:39 PM
Parrish

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Parrish
Would you trade Legace?

I don't think Legace will be moved, but if you were gm would you trade him?

I would because I think Toivu can be a good starter, and backups are a dime a dozin. We already have two other guys that could be doing that role.

I'd try to get Brown for Legace and Hinote?

I doubt LA would do that. I doubt the blues are going to move legace anyways. Just kinda bored.

Parrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2007, 03:54 PM
execwrite

Good question.

I would if the Blues are out of the playoffs at the trade deadline and they can get a first round pick and a prospect.

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2007, 04:13 PM
StLooFrenchy

Right now, no. The vets on the team seem to have confidence in Manny. We will incorporate more prospects into the fold; they can learn the winning attitude much better from a confident core. That is not to say that Toiv isn't capable, he will be someday, but at this juncture of the rebuild, and we are rebuilding, let's not forget, I would say that Manny would be the last man I would trade. Besides, what would he really bring in return? His value is greater here than there.

StLooFrenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2007, 04:18 PM
TrustInJarmo*

Great idea Parrish. I actually was thinking this down the road because of how hot Legace is.

If Legace could keep this up he could have some serious value near the trade deadline for a team that is stacked at forward and defense but lacking a goalie that can carry them beyond the 1st or 2nd round...

I wouldn't pull a trade no matter what this year, since Manny is under contract for next year. But if Hannu can step up this year and going into next year...and at that point at the first of 2009 I would take offers for Manny. But I would keep him and see what noise we can make in the playoffs. I know some here think a playoff apperance was going to be a long shot. But I honestly wouldn't be suprised if we make a few suprises in April and May and who knows how far we can run...so stick with Manny, at least for this year.

TrustInJarmo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2007, 06:38 PM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

Without a doubt, NO.

Legace has finally...FINALLY brought some stability to our goal. When was the last time anyone in a Blues uniform played goal that we felt absolutely confident in? Grant Fuhr maybe? That was a decade ago.

If Legace can stay healthy and can prove some consistency I say without a doubt we keep Manny in a Bluenote for as long as possible. Should any of the other goaltenders tear up the AHL and force us to make a difficult decision thats fine but just because he is playing with great confidence and giving the Blues a chance even in games the rest of the team is so far out of its not even funny that little extra bit could be the difference between the "same old same old" and something special.

Lets leave the fantasy hockey antics on the sidelines.

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2007, 07:00 PM
TrustInJarmo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaphodBeeblebrox View Post
Without a doubt, NO.

Legace has finally...FINALLY brought some stability to our goal. When was the last time anyone in a Blues uniform played goal that we felt absolutely confident in? Grant Fuhr maybe? That was a decade ago.

If Legace can stay healthy and can prove some consistency I say without a doubt we keep Manny in a Bluenote for as long as possible. Should any of the other goaltenders tear up the AHL and force us to make a difficult decision thats fine but just because he is playing with great confidence and giving the Blues a chance even in games the rest of the team is so far out of its not even funny that little extra bit could be the difference between the "same old same old" and something special.

Lets leave the fantasy hockey antics on the sidelines.
Zaphod, I don't think anyone is disagreeing that Legace has been the most solid goalie since Fuhr, something we very much have needed.

But I think the reason this was brought up was because from what we have all heard, read and are speculating is that this is most likely Legace's last contract with us. Because we have had the likes of Jarmo to hand pick goalies the last 5 years and help us pick up the Hannu, who could be very special for us.

I don't think anyone wants Manny to leave the Blues, like some are arguing on other players. I honestly think if Manny keeps playing the way he has now and does it in 6 months, we could make a big run in the playoffs. BUT what if we don't re-sign him after 2009. Is a trade out of the question? How about the fact that not only could Hannu be ready to take a #1 spot. But what if Manny makes a great regular season run for us and falls short of the playoffs? Why would we not trade him if Hannu is ready and we, possibly, lose because of Manny in net? Just speculating of course, but something to consider. And even more, what if in a year from now Hannu is ready and Management comes out and pretty much says we are not re-signing Manny? Why wouldn't you trade a 35 year old goalie at that point, if you can get a 1st or 2nd round pick for him??

I don't know why you are calling out Parrish's thread as "fantasy hockey" and something we shouldn't talk about here. Because I can't count the numerous threads that have proprosals on hfboards. And weren't we just talking about trading Backman in another thread today???

Sure it is crazy to bring up trading Manny right now...but it is not crazy to talk about trading him sometime before his contract is up, which is only about 19 months away.

TrustInJarmo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2007, 07:12 PM
Blue Dot
F0rsbergFan21

i say pull the trigger and move him while he is healthy and playing great. i have faith in toiv and i feel its better to get something for the future.

i am not the biggest dustin brown fan, i'd target frolov first. legace could be the perfect bridge to bernier for LA.

i love legace in STL, but i believe this team can make the playoffs with toiv just as they can with legace.

this is not an attack against legace, i just think you sell high

Blue Dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2007, 07:20 PM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

I have to treat this question as "would you trade Legace now" not "would you trade Legace at the trade deadline at '09"?

Would I trade Legace right now? No.
Would I trade Legace in January (if he continues to play as well as he has)? No.
Would I trade Legace at the trade deadline...if we are in a position to make the POs? No.
...if we are not in a position to make the POs and neither Toivonen, Schwarz, Cash or Bishop have shown us any indication they are ready to take the reigns next season? No.
...if we are not in a position to make the POs and Toivonen, Schwarz, Cash or Bishop have shown us any indication they are ready to take the reigns next season? For a deal I can't say no to, perhaps.

ok I'll end this, unless the deal is "cannot turn it down" worthy or Toivonen or Schwarz show me alot more than they have...no, I don't advocate trading Legace this year. I'll worry about next year, next year.

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2007, 07:24 PM
Frenzy1

Wow..... I don't even know where to start with this. But man do I completely disagree.

Legacy signed a 2 year cheap deal at the beginning of the summer. He has been playing great (had simular success in Detroit prior to be chased out of town due to team failure in the playoffs). He is cheap, compared to those who are playing at his level. Finally, he has been the best Blues player all year. Lets trade him... no way.

Toiv was flat out bad with the Bruins last year. He was good in Peoria this past weekend, but ****, that is the AHL - you had better be good in the AHL if you want a sniff of the NHL. Further, he hasn't started a game - why give him the starting job now? He has done little to earn it.

Legacy has been the best goaltender on this team since we won the president's trophy. And then Turek went on to implode and die a slow painfull death w/ Calgary. Since then we have had Johnson, Osgood, and that ****** bag from Ottawa. No goaltending equals going no where....

Most important person on the team is the goalie, and now that we have one that is solid, we want to trade him for picks.... At least wait until Toiv has done something of value this year that says he can be a starter.....

Frenzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2007, 08:25 PM
Parrish

Send a message via MSN to Parrish
I keep hearing don't trade him if he continues to play well.

Well obviosly if he starts playing like **** we wouldnt get anything in return.

Parrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2007, 10:05 PM
Blues077

I don't think trading him now would be the best thing to do. But he is not the future of this franchise. Barring a miracle, he will not lead us to the promise land. Trade him while he has his highest value to other teams. Remember 25 years of the playoffs have gotten us NOTHING. We are still rebuilding, no matter how well we are playing right now. The team is not close to being complete. We must listen to all offers, so our depth in the future is great. Only a few goaltenders in the NHL have consistantly good years every year. All others are up and down.

Blues077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2007, 10:57 PM
Celtic Note
Thanks very little

Blues077-
You basically said, what I think, would be a good way to approach the situation. I would only add that this is banking on the development of our goaltending prospects.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2007, 12:04 AM
Plager05

I don't think anyone would offer too much for Legace unless he was playing phenomenally, and we wouldn't trade him if we were in the playoff hunt. I'm confidant that if Legace is phenomenal then we will be in the playoff hunt, so I don't think the trade will happen.

Plager05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2007, 02:19 AM
Blue Sur

Not now, or this season, unless the blue playoff bubble bursts. Toivonen and Cash as a tandem... gambling again in picking the hot rubber stopper among the two youngsters. Or would they pick up Cujo from the pastures once sending Manny away? Riksman back from Elitserien? Less desirable, much riskier options to me.

Blue Sur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2007, 09:02 AM
TK 421
Donut Squad

Mannys on ice value far exceeds his trade value and I believe his trade value is a 1st
and a roster player. Throw in JDs desire for experienced goaltending and I would think, POs or not, Manny will still be here next year. IMO, moving a proven goalie who
can help you win now is not a good idea. Toivonen could be our starter but it takes two solid goalies to ensure a team a good chance at the POs.

TK 421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2007, 12:29 PM
General Veers

NO WAY! as soon as you think you have awesome goaltending depth in your organ-I-zation, you don't. as we've seen with our d-line depth, a rash of injuries could hit at ANY time!

General Veers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2007, 01:22 PM
Robb_K

No way I'd trade him this season. Perhaps The Blues might try to trade him at the deadline next season, but that will only happen if they fail to resign him during the season, AND they are out of the playoff picture (which won't happen), or they are offered so much they can't refuse (AND Toivonen and Schwarz are both looking great).

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2007, 01:41 PM
Statman

no

no - i wouldn't trade him.

He's 35.
He's going to be a great starter for another 2-3 years.
I know he was with Detroit, but his NHL record is still unbelievable.

140-60-18 with 18 shutouts and a 2.28 GAA and .916 Save %.

Most teams (sans. LA) already have their starting goalie and (like us) 2 kids that can jump in and become the #1 guy, so we would never get much in return for him. I'd guess a 2nd rounder at best.

I say keep him, hope he wins 35-40 games this year and the same next year, then let him go when he's an UFA in 09-10.

Also, he's cheap..... 1.8mm this year and 2.5mm next year.

Statman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2007, 03:52 PM
fcpremix88

NO.

Toivonen has done nothing worthwhile in years, Bacashua has had his chance, and Shwarz is still young and developing.

Legace's glove is keeping us alive right now. I wouldn't trade him unless it's for a package that's just impossible to turn down.

fcpremix88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2007, 07:03 PM
Rush11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrish View Post
I would because I think Toivu can be a good starter, and backups are a dime a dozin. We already have two other guys that could be doing that role.

Backups are a dime a dozen until your starter gets hurt. Good backups that can handle the workload of a starter and perform well, however, are much more expensive. Let's all be glad that we have goaltending depth.

Rush11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2007, 09:03 PM
Blues077

Let me pose this question to everyone. Do we just want to make the playoffs every year or do we want to win the Stanley Cup? Remember we got Legace off the scrap heap. There will be more goalies put on the scrap heap. Servicable goalies. Temps if you will. If all you want is to make the playoffs then you keep him. We must continue to build our stable of young studs. Otherwise there will be playoffs but NO Stanley Cup. Legace is not the answer and never will be. Not that he isn't playing well or usefull. But if a proposal presents it self to add to our stable of prospects and/or high draft picks, then we must seriously consider taking the offer.

Old
10-23-2007, 11:18 PM
2ForRoughing*

If the question is do I want to trade Legace the answer is no. If the question is do I want to make the playoffs or win the Cup the answer is obvious and it's stupid to even ask, I want to see the Blues win the Cup. Retaining Legace and the Blues winning the Cup are not at all mutually exclusive. Matter of fact, losing Legace greatly decreases the Blues chances of winning the Cup. And you play to win the Cup EVERY SEASON YOU ICE A TEAM. You never play for next year or "the future" because you don't know what it will bring. Until the last game of the year you play for that year and that year alone. I'm not suggesting you jettison every prospect in hopes of winning the cup one year, but you certainly don't move your best player now in order to have a nebulous chance at winning the Cup in the future, esp. if you're a playoff team with the player in question.

The Blues should retain Legace and go for the Cup. Based on what I've seen tonight they can go deep in the playoffs. I know it's early but this team is capable of being one of the top 5 teams in the west, IMO.

2ForRoughing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2007, 11:20 PM
2ForRoughing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues077 View Post
Let me pose this question to everyone. Do we just want to make the playoffs every year or do we want to win the Stanley Cup? Remember we got Legace off the scrap heap. There will be more goalies put on the scrap heap. Servicable goalies. Temps if you will. If all you want is to make the playoffs then you keep him. We must continue to build our stable of young studs. Otherwise there will be playoffs but NO Stanley Cup. Legace is not the answer and never will be. Not that he isn't playing well or usefull. But if a proposal presents it self to add to our stable of prospects and/or high draft picks, then we must seriously consider taking the offer.
We got Manny "off the scrap heap?" We signed him as a UFA, how is that any different than getting Kariya "off the scrap heap?" Sorry, not buying it. Legace was a scapegoat in Detroit for a soft team that hasn't been a playoff threat for years. Legace is a freakin' stud. Scrap heap my white heiney.

2ForRoughing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2007, 04:28 PM
Blues077

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
We got Manny "off the scrap heap?" We signed him as a UFA, how is that any different than getting Kariya "off the scrap heap?" Sorry, not buying it. Legace was a scapegoat in Detroit for a soft team that hasn't been a playoff threat for years. Legace is a freakin' stud. Scrap heap my white heiney.
Scrap heap. Nobody else wanted him at the time. Which means scrap heap. He's playing great now, yes. Not discounting his contribution. Other teams wanted Kariya. So thats a big difference. If he were a stud, every team in the NHL would have been knocking at his door. He got in with the right team at right time and with a good defense and system.

Old
10-24-2007, 11:15 PM
BlueBaron

To trade Manny is to give up on the season, what message does that send to our players ? Play well and we will move you ? I would rather see EJ delvelop on a semi competative team where they are fighting for a goal ie making the PO's , then to see our young guys know they are doomed from the start. How would Paul Kariya feel ? He probably signed here because he saw the winning % after the coach change and saw a PO team. It just doesnt make sense this year.
Now if in the summer we signed a good FA goalie and had a spare, or one of the young guys has emerged its a different story. The end of the day...Do we trade Manny now ? No. In the near future ? Who knows.

BlueBaron is offline   Reply With Quote