HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

U of New Hampshire webcast archive (Doherty)

Closed Thread

Old
01-12-2004, 08:49 PM
m-gro

vCash: 500
U of New Hampshire webcast archive (Doherty)

I've been keeping track of John Doherty's freshman season at the University of New Hampshire... and he hasn't seen much playing time on the veteran Wildcats team so far. That being said, he has played in 7 games through 22, with a record of 1 goal and 2 assists. He last played in the January 10th home game against Providence College, a 5-3 win for UNH, in which he notched his second assist on Brett Hemingway's PPG.

If anyone's interested, they can watch the webcast of this game from the New Hampshire Public Television video archive: link. This station broadcasts a select number of UNH games over the season and this one was the first in which Doherty is in the line-up. Check it out - he had a pretty good game.

Old
01-13-2004, 12:26 PM
Red Horner*

UNH game was on NESN the other night and he wasn't playing, perhaps Umilie doesn't like young players, I didn't bring it up because I didn't want Leaf fans to become depressed, does any one think last years draft was a wash out for us. Going over other teams draft list it looks like some teams got 3 or 4 players in that draft the deepest in years. Teams that gave up there 1st rd picks are going to be sorry, Stuart was Captain of USA looks like a keeper.

Old
01-13-2004, 12:33 PM
leafaholix*

Doherty's played 7 games in University, has 3 points... that's pretty damn good for a freshman. He's a 6'4 offensive defenseman that can skate well... hmm, Chris Pr.... nevermind.

Old
01-13-2004, 12:48 PM
Pinto
Burn Them All

Quote:
Originally Posted by go pierre hedin
Doherty's played 7 games in University, has 3 points... that's pretty damn good for a freshman. He's a 6'4 offensive defenseman that can skate well... hmm, Chris Pr.... nevermind.
dont jinx it

Old
01-13-2004, 12:49 PM
Red Horner*

Thats what I said maybe his coach doesn't like young players, you would think if you had a talent like Big John he would play him. :mad:

Old
01-13-2004, 07:49 PM
m-gro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Horner
Thats what I said maybe his coach doesn't like young players, you would think if you had a talent like Big John he would play him. :mad:
This is my guess as to why Doherty hasn't seen much ice time so far.

1) veteran depth on the team. Period.

2) the two or so games he played in early in the season weren't exactly stellar efforts by Doherty (this was when a bunch of UNH players were suspended and Doherty was inserted into the line-up)... no SOG, both in the minuses in terms of +/-. My guess is he wasn't quite ready at that point in the season considering the leap between prep school hockey and Division I NCAAs.

3) Mike Hutchens, a second year freshman (another drafted prospect... San Jose, I believe) had been red-shirted all season last year, so this fall was Dick Umile's first opportunity to test him out. Of the rotating #6 defencemen, Hutchens was getting the majority of the games... and at this point, having played about twice the number of games than Doherty so far, he is 0G 0A, and something like -3. I can totally see why playing Hutchens would be a higher priority at the beginning, since he's playing catch-up from a lost season.

Now, however, it is pretty clear that Doherty has played better and produced more in his seven game stint so far... moreover, he seems to have improved in the small numbers of opportunities he's been given. Just from the scoresheets, he seems to have played a cautious, timid game to start ... but lately, from right before the holidays, he's been contributing offensively, shooting the puck more (2 SOG on Saturday), and playing quite physical overall. He looked quite comfortable and confident in the game I watched. I think we'll be hearing about Doherty playing a lot more often in the second half of the season.

And no, I don't think Umile has something against younger players - he has a number of freshman forwards who have been contributing since the beginning of the season (Avs prospect Brett Hemingway being one). On Saturday, four freshmen forwards were in the line up in addition to Doherty, the lone frosh defender. It has less to do with ability, but available space - and like it or not, the newcomers have to make the case to steal spots away from players ahead of them in terms of seniority. I don't think that's unique to college hockey.

Old
01-14-2004, 05:01 PM
Charge_Seven

Doherty

The Leafs have had so many late round steals, and first round busts that at times it might be better for them to move their first for a seventh rounder. Doherty likely will never be a superstar, but he won't be any worse than the likes of White, and the rest. He's a very big capable guy. Also, like people have already said, veterans get more ice time. Relax everyone ;-) I'm sure he'll play for the big club someday.

Old
01-14-2004, 05:26 PM
leafaholix*

test........

Closed Thread