HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What's Wrong With This Team: 10/23 Edition

Old
10-23-2007, 09:53 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1982 View Post
I feel like something in the system we play changed, it feels like we are in more of a defensive posture. 5 on 5 we seem to dump the puck in, send one guy in to chase and leave the other two forwards back and the D way back. So our 5 on 5 offense is suffering and the power play is not clicking, voila, you have 1 - 0 losses. At least some of the defensive miscues are going away I guess.
This is what I said in my put the biscuit in the basket post on Saturday..... this team is not going to win games if they don't score even if we give up 1 goal a game we'd still have to score 2 and the way this team plays right now we'd need 3 or 4 games to net that many.

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2007, 10:18 PM
DontStaal

to add salt to the wound guys, we have the lowest GF in the league.

who woulda thought that would happen

DontStaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2007, 10:21 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontStaal View Post
to add salt to the wound guys, we have the lowest GF in the league.

who woulda thought that would happen

I wouldn't say it's salt in the wound. I'd have been shocked if there was a team that's scored less than us.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2007, 10:23 PM
DontStaal

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
I wouldn't say it's salt in the wound. I'd have been shocked if there was a team that's scored less than us.
your right, it would be shocking... on a different note, only 17 GA in 7 GP. What was all that talk about our defense being miserable before the season? Freakin "experts"

DontStaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2007, 10:25 PM
ThisYearsModel

Shanahan has never regained his form since the train wreck concussion last year. He is looking more like someone that is washed up and hanging on.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2007, 10:30 PM
rangers4ever2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
Shanahan has never regained his form since the train wreck concussion last year. He is looking more like someone that is washed up and hanging on.
it's a shame... wonder if he would retire in the middle of the season... doubt he would

rangers4ever2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2007, 10:40 PM
Casmatt

Thursday's top line

Lundqvist-Gomez-Jagr

Casmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2007, 10:57 PM
Bretzky*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
Do you watch the games or just check stats? Sure, he's looked slow for a good portion of the first 8 games, but he's still a 2nd line player in my opinion.

He's always in good defensive position in his own zone, and he makes smart first passes in his own zone. He hardly ever turns the puck over, and oh yea, he's LEADING THE LEAGUE in shots on goal. More shots than Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, Crosby, Malkin, etc. He's snakebitten right now, as is the rest of his team. If he wasn't getting shots on goal, I'd be worried. Pretty soon, his shots will start going in. Especially on the PP with guys like Gomez and Jagr feeding him. Why aren't you making a post about Jagr being washed up? He can't even hit the net with most of his shots. Are Drury and Gomez washed up too? Don't pick on Shanny because he's old. He's been better than most of our top 6 before tonight.

Bretzky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2007, 11:25 PM
NYR Viper

i think he is too slow...he doesnt have the stickhandling to make up for it like jagr does.....he just isnt the same player

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2007, 11:32 PM
Bretzky*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
i think he is too slow...he doesnt have the stickhandling to make up for it like jagr does.....he just isnt the same player
he's never going to be a player who takes the puck standing still and then blows around people. aside from odd-man rushes, he doesn't carry the puck much until the offensive zone where he shoots any time he has a chance to. this is a great player to have. he's leading the league in shots on goal. more than kovalchuk, iginla, crosby, malkin, heatley, etc.

anyone leading the league in shots on goal is a valuable asset to a team, just by sheer probability. and it's not just anyone. it's shanahan: still one of the quickest releases in the game. it's only a matter of time.

Bretzky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2007, 12:22 AM
NYR Viper

i agree bit that means he needs another player to do all the work for him....he gets open and then shoots, i agree he is a great asset, however i dont think he is rite for this system, he is too slow to transition quickly from offense to defence with the likes of gomez, jagr, callahan, prucha who want to get up the ice fast to counter...i just dont see him fitting in as well as he did last year

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2007, 03:44 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretzky-StaalFor07 View Post
but we didn't sustain enough consistent offensive pressure all game long and couldn't bury our chances.
Quote:
He's [Shanny] always in good defensive position in his own zone, and he makes smart first passes in his own zone. He hardly ever turns the puck over, and oh yea, he's LEADING THE LEAGUE in shots on goal. More shots than Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, Crosby, Malkin, etc. He's snakebitten right now, as is the rest of his team. If he wasn't getting shots on goal, I'd be worried. Pretty soon, his shots will start going in. Especially on the PP with guys like Gomez and Jagr feeding him. Why aren't you making a post about Jagr being washed up? He can't even hit the net with most of his shots. Are Drury and Gomez washed up too? Don't pick on Shanny because he's old. He's been better than most of our top 6 before tonight.
Shanny leading the league in shots is defenitly comming at the expense of us creating pressure in the attacking zone. I don't got numbers on it, but if you shoot the puck -- after substaining pressure in the attacking zone for 10 sec -- you are much much more likely to win the rebound.

A defending team looses speed when they are pused back for longer then 5 seconds. All defensive systems are very startionary, you stay on the inside of your guy, and follows him around. If a shot bounces out to the boards, the attacking team got a positional advantage. You also skate allot more on offense, and you got better sight of the puck as a offensive player then a defensive player. The D worries about the forward, a forward can worry about where the puck is. Though, this only kicks into effect after like 6-7 seconds, before that the other team still got their speed up from the backcheck.

If you play well defensivly, you break up plays high up ice and can create odd man rushes. Very effective north-south plays that you can finnish off without any east-west hockey. Thats what so many would like to see from us here in NY, thoose odd man rushes.

Though, first of all, its extremely hard to play that way right now in this league. Look at teams like Atlanta and Calgary playing a north-south style to extreme last season in the PO's against puckpoession teams. Second, you can't play that style successfully if you don't got a odd man rush or something.

I think many fans/media and even players at times mixes up these things. You need to put the puck on the net and work, but not in all situations. You need to pinn the other team down, and your linemates must be in positions to win rebounds, before it pays off just putting the puck on the net.

Shanny have buggs me in this aspects. 2 of his linemate can be in the corner in the attacking zone winning the puck to Shanny after a dumpin, so that he gets the puck up along the boards on the same side, and he then takes a low % shot after having the puck for 3 seconds within the team. Unless he scores we got atleast a 3 on 2/ 3 on 3 gooing the other way gauranteed.

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2007, 05:38 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
the short answer: Malik!

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2007, 05:40 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

I saw Cullen and Isbister play for Canes and Nucks respectively.
They have both looked pretty darn good.

Old
10-24-2007, 07:09 AM
UnderPSI
Formerly YMMV

I totally agree. I kept slapping myself as to why Renny kept putting on the 4th line. Ok, I understand he likes to use 4 lines but in a situation like that.. why?! We need to press and the 4th line is not our answer.

I def thought the 3rd line looked pretty good as well.

I am not a big Malik lover but I will admit he played well.

Quote:
The Dubinsky line was very good tonight, in my opinion. Two posts away from winning the game for us. They should've had more ice time and Renney should've doubleshifted Jagr and Drury with Betts in the 3rd.

Faceoff in the pens zone after an icing (TIRED PENGUINS) with 5 mins left in the game and Renney puts out Betts Orr and Hollweg. Really dumb move, coach. Hollweg and Orr had no reason to be playing in the 3rd period. Shorten your bench and double-shift Jagr and Drury with Betts / Dubinsky.

For all the people who half-read posts and then reply cluelessly, I am not blaming Renney for the loss. We earned this loss as a team. Lundqvist was good. Our commitment to defense was much better than it has been, but we didn't sustain enough consistent offensive pressure all game long and couldn't bury our chances. However, I have to question Renney putting out Hollweg and Orr for an offensive zone draw after a Pittsburgh icing with 5 mins left trailing 1-0. That just doesn't make ANY sense. There's no way our other 3 lines were more tired than the Pittsburgh line that was just out there and couldn't change. Even put Jagr out there with Dawes and Betts. Orr and Hollweg in a situation like that is simply stupid. They can't even generate a single shot on goal, let alone the kind of chance you hope for with 5 mins left in a 1-0 game. Inexcusable, Renney.

Malik was solid tonight. Even the goal (although he was right on top of the play) wasn't really his fault. It was an absolutely perfect pass and he tied up Malkin's stick to a degree that 9 out of 10 times is enough to break up the play. Rozsival was better than he has been. Staal was solid. Tyutin looked a little off but he's played great to this point. Girardi was great in my opinion. Mara was better than he has been and stayed out of the box against a very fast, skilled set of forwards.

As for the long term, I think this team will snap out of it sooner than later. I don't think it hinges completely or even mostly on Avery but his return will certainly help, not hurt. I'd like to see Avery Drury Shanny get going.

UnderPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2007, 07:57 AM
robertch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Not really. I just watched Prucha outmuscle guys along the boards all night.

The problem is people not finishing their scoring chances
That was my feeling as well. I agree with "gomez" -- when you get this many shots it's only a matter of time. However, so many of those shots were from way outside. In my opinion, Fleury didn't have to make any truly spectacular saves last night. The strategy/puck movement in the offensive zone needs to be changed.

robertch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2007, 08:43 AM
DontStepanMe

I don't think it has been stated but did anybody else notice that when we were on a rush and got a shot off there was nobody anywhere near the net going for a rebound. Shanny also on the power play kept sliding back looking more like a 3rd defensmen sometimes rather than a forward. he needs to plant his butt in front of the net once in a while and try to pick up a deflection or help obstruct the view of the goalie. He also apparently doesn't like to forecheck, or check anybody as much anymore. It really seems like he tries to avoid any type of contact.

This team really needs a big body who likes to stay in front of the net and cause some havic there. Maybe we should try to trade a supersmurf for a player who enjoys the physical side but can score.

Oh yeah. Last complaint. Why is Betts out there again at one point w/ Cally and Prucha. This madness has to stop.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2007, 08:51 AM
94now

There is nothing wrong with this team. I fact there's lots of things that are right. They played a very good game, but again run into very good goalie. The game was a pleasure to watch. Penguins had their young superstars kept to the outside in the offensive zone by every Ranger D pair. Staal looked great. Tyutin looks more and and more like budding #1. Girardi and Mara were solid. All lines looked good, able to penetrate, move the puck and create chances. Kids played as good as veterans. Fleury just stole the game for Pittsburgh. Our record is a result of improbable sequence of events, not the problem with the team. 36 SOG and 0-1 loss is neither offense or defense fault. It is just a misfortune.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2007, 09:00 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

I bet if we actually looked at there are more right things then wrong things with the team...chemistry in the offensive zone is an obvious problem but chemistry in the other two zones doesn't look like a problem...

this team will snap out of this...right?....right?

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2007, 09:01 AM
RegalRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
There is nothing wrong with this team. I fact there's lots of things that are right. They played a very good game, but again run into very good goalie. The game was a pleasure to watch. Penguins had their young superstars kept to the outside in the offensive zone by every Ranger D pair. Staal looked great. Tyutin looks more and and more like budding #1. Girardi and Mara were solid. All lines looked good, able to penetrate, move the puck and create chances. Kids played as good as veterans. Fleury just stole the game for Pittsburgh. Our record is a result of improbable sequence of events, not the problem with the team. 36 SOG and 0-1 loss is neither offense or defense fault. It is just a misfortune.
I agree. Once the offense arrives this team is rock solid. There are only 4 teams with fewer goals against than the rangers. Kind of interesting that the one area of the Rangers that every analyst singled out as their weakpoint is actually their strong point so far.

RegalRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2007, 09:07 AM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
I'm not so sure Fleury "stole" it, since then every other goalie we faced beforehand "stole" it too. We didn't really challenge him at all, just like all the other goalies we faced. We hit god knows how many posts and missed wide open nets on rebounds. If the offense was actually clicking we would have won this game quite decisively

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2007, 09:50 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegalRangers View Post
I agree. Once the offense arrives this team is rock solid. There are only 4 teams with fewer goals against than the rangers. Kind of interesting that the one area of the Rangers that every analyst singled out as their weakpoint is actually their strong point so far.

Then again we haven't really played cup contenders maybe the Sens apart.

Old
10-24-2007, 09:55 AM
BlackTuuk

At least you guys can't blame it on defense. Malik can't be doing THAT bad of a job, unless his playing results in the one goal you guys are letting up. Having offense problems is a way better problem to have! To a point.

BlackTuuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2007, 09:55 AM
UnderPSI
Formerly YMMV

Forgot to say...split up the first PP unit!

UnderPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2007, 10:35 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
I'm not so sure Fleury "stole" it, since then every other goalie we faced beforehand "stole" it too.
Yes they did. That is exactly my point. That is what I called "improbable chain of events". We were hitting Fleury and others in the chest not because we didn't challenge them, but because on those particular nights they all position themselves well, played the angles almost perfect and let few or almost no rebounds. You can keep whole line in front of the net, but if there's no rebound they would waste their time. We had 36 shots on Fleury and two times as much on Gerber. We have no problem with offense. The fact that Rangers do not score is not the Rangers problem. It is Gerber's, DiPietro's, Hedberg's, Fernandes and Fleury's pride.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote