HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Maybe this is what they need

Old
10-24-2007, 01:19 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

vCash: 500
Maybe this is what they need

call me crazy, but in 05-06 the Rangers were chosen to be #29 or 30 in the league. They ended up having a great season in which they lost the division title in the last game of the season and sputtered to painful defeat.

In 06-07 the expectations were now higher for the Rangers. They came out fairly strong then plummeted. We had all feared that the Rangers wouldn't make the playoffs, fans, media, everyone. Suddenly the Rangers bounce back and tear it up and almost make the conference finals.

07-08 and the Rangers are suddenly Stanley Cup contenders. The highest expectations this team has had since they won the Cup. Instead, the Rangers are start off very slow. They can't score even though the defense is very solid.

What's this all show? Well, at this point, I think a lot of people are either saying, they were overrated to begin with or they are the sleeping giant. However, it seems as if many are starting to move away from that Cup Contender status from the Rangers. The Rangers thrive on being the underdog. They love it. The more people write them off the more fire they show. The more they show they want it. So yes, maybe this is what they need. They need to be embarrassed. They need for everyone to say, this team isn't as good as I thought. That's when they'll say, "oh yeah? I'll show you."

One can only hope that ESPN or some newspaper publishes an article saying that the Rangers are overrated and are doomed to be a terrible team. I can just see them hanging it in the locker room like the sports illustrated article.

The season is very young my fellow Rangers fans. It will come, just be patient.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2007, 01:44 PM
ogie

I think the team needs to all go out and get piss drunk together. Not like have a few drinks ...like hardcore i can't move or i'm going to puke all over myself drunk. A little male bonding, maybe a trip to a strip club thrown in there also.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2007, 01:47 PM
Jay88*

I dont know what they need to do, but they need to win, and stop looking liike a sloppy messs out there, well they havent of late ( last 2 games ), now they need to score.

And it sucks cause there 2 big guns are 35 and 38.

Jay88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2007, 02:01 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

What they need is a long road trip together. Much like last season when they had those 5 maybe 6 on the road in the west and came back and started looking better. But I dont think that is built into this season.

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2007, 02:01 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Honestly, I don't think they "need" anything. They've looked fine to me for the early season, especially last night. They're getting chances, they just haven't been able to convert. Sometimes that happens in hockey. This is one of the more extreme examples, but in my mind it's nothing more than that. Sooner or later (hopefully sooner), the pucks will start going in and we'll start winning. I don't know that it's necessary (or possible) to jump start that happening.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2007, 02:05 PM
Staggarelli
@erikthedirector

Send a message via AIM to Staggarelli
What they need....

is to put the puck in the net....

Staggarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2007, 02:21 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
call me crazy, but in 05-06 the Rangers were chosen to be #29 or 30 in the league. They ended up having a great season in which they lost the division title in the last game of the season and sputtered to painful defeat.
I don't think any harm can come from beeing a underdog, and I don't see any advantages in beeing a favorite, only disadvantages...

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2007, 02:27 PM
BwayBshirt

as uncle ben once told peter parker: "with great power comes great responsibility."

in this case, with great talent comes great expectations.

anywho, if the players are reading/hearing their press clippings that much that it affects them in the games then the rest of the season will be a waste.

Last edited by BwayBshirt: 10-24-2007 at 02:42 PM.
BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2007, 03:02 PM
rangers4ever2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post

In 06-07 the expectations were now higher for the Rangers. They came out fairly strong then plummeted. We had all feared that the Rangers wouldn't make the playoffs, fans, media, everyone. Suddenly the Rangers bounce back and tear it up and almost make the conference finals.

07-08 and the Rangers are suddenly Stanley Cup contenders. The highest expectations this team has had since they won the Cup. Instead, the Rangers are start off very slow. They can't score even though the defense is very solid.

What's this all show? Well, at this point, I think a lot of people are either saying, they were overrated to begin with or they are the sleeping giant. However, it seems as if many are starting to move away from that Cup Contender status from the Rangers. The Rangers thrive on being the underdog. They love it. The more people write them off the more fire they show. The more they show they want it. So yes, maybe this is what they need. They need to be embarrassed. They need for everyone to say, this team isn't as good as I thought. That's when they'll say, "oh yeah? I'll show you."

One can only hope that ESPN or some newspaper publishes an article saying that the Rangers are overrated and are doomed to be a terrible team. I can just see them hanging it in the locker room like the sports illustrated article.

The season is very young my fellow Rangers fans. It will come, just be patient.
the signings of drury and gomez made the expectations higher... maybe if rangers kept the same team on offense... there would not have been much pressure and they would have been ok in the chemistry dept.

rangers4ever2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2007, 03:10 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

The expecataions should be higher....this team is still a stanley cup contender.....it's 8 games into the season...how did ottawa look early last season?

threads like this drive me crazy...they would drive me crazy in december let alone october...

seasons over...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2007, 03:11 PM
DontStaal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggarelli View Post
What they need....

amen

DontStaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2007, 03:20 PM
9darter
Soft Euro

Remember last season when we played Buffalo 4 times early when they were hot, but not the slumping Ottawa. Late in the season we played the red hot Sens but not the cooling Sabres.
It can work out that way for the Flyers. They won't play us in our current slump but may get well beaten later when we get up to speed...

edit: yes I say "we" not "they", that's just how I figure, sue me...

9darter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2007, 03:32 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

<---------------------

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2007, 03:35 PM
nyrcallahan24
nomvegannom

i know what they need, sean avery! DING DING! correct. he turned their season around last year and once we lost him to an injury we started loosing.

nyrcallahan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2007, 03:41 PM
Staggarelli
@erikthedirector

Maybe this is what they need...

Old
10-24-2007, 04:55 PM
Jay88*

I dont think they need a large stick and puck if anything they need an over sized net and mini puck.

Jay88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2007, 05:19 PM
Staggarelli
@erikthedirector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay88 View Post
I dont think they need a large stick and puck if anything they need an over sized net and mini puck.
yea.. didn't have time to PS the puck out.. the sick was what i was getting at... then you cant miss the puck.. and you can knock people over with it

Old
10-24-2007, 05:44 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggarelli View Post
What they need....

+1

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2007, 05:57 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callahan43 View Post
i know what they need, sean avery! DING DING! correct. he turned their season around last year and once we lost him to an injury we started loosing.
The team looked very good last night, without Avery. Unless his presence will make 3 or 4 of our 35 shots a night hit the back of the net, I don't see how he'll "fix" things.

Old
10-24-2007, 06:11 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
The team looked very good last night, without Avery. Unless his presence will make 3 or 4 of our 35 shots a night hit the back of the net, I don't see how he'll "fix" things.
he's good at standing in front of the net and distracting the goalie and trying to pounce on rebounds. He actually opens the ice up b/c he is a pain in everyones butt.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2007, 06:32 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
he's good at standing in front of the net and distracting the goalie and trying to pounce on rebounds. He actually opens the ice up b/c he is a pain in everyones butt.
I mean I agree with you that he should help our cause, but anyone that thinks we're losing solely because we're lacking Sean Avery is seriously shortsighted. He's one player, and right now, even given good chances, none of our other players can bury the puck. He's not going to fix that.

Old
10-24-2007, 06:58 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

I just want to hear a lot of these next 6 games.

http://www.hockeyist.com/Music/NHL%20Hockey%20goal%20horns%20all%2030%20teams%20m p3's/New%20York%20Rangers.mp3

Old
10-24-2007, 07:00 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I mean I agree with you that he should help our cause, but anyone that thinks we're losing solely because we're lacking Sean Avery is seriously shortsighted. He's one player, and right now, even given good chances, none of our other players can bury the puck. He's not going to fix that.
My fear is if when he does come back and this team goes on a tear, what happens if a team somehow finds a way to contain Avery. As hard as it may seem, it can be done. So what they will the Rangers be back at square 1?

Old
10-24-2007, 07:04 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingHenrik35 View Post
My fear is if when he does come back and this team goes on a tear, what happens if a team somehow finds a way to contain Avery. As hard as it may seem, it can be done. So what they will the Rangers be back at square 1?
No, they won't be. Avery is a part of the team, not the team. If shutting down Sean Avery is the key to beating a team with Jagr, Drury, Gomez, Shanahan, Prucha, Straka, etc. then we have no business making the playoffs in the first place.

Avery sparked us last year, but we came together and won as a team. We're just as capable of doing that without Avery.