HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Question About Wachovia Center And The Rangers

Old
10-24-2007, 11:50 PM
mucker*

vCash: 500
Question About Wachovia Center And The Rangers

I was considering making a trip to the Wachovia Center to see the Rangers this season, but I had a couple of questions.

When I go to see my teams on the road, I prefer to not be in a rough place or if it will be rough, at least to have some protection of my own fans.

I wanted to know, when the Rangers are in Philly
1) Do they have a lot of fans?
-How many, what % would say?

2) How are they behaviorwise, civil or is it nasty?

3) How are they treated?

4) Most of all how is a Ranger game like when compared to when other teams are in town like
-The Devils/Pens/Islanders/Sabres/Bruins/Caps/Habs/Leafs/Red Wings
-Do the Rangers have one the larger turnouts or better than those mentioned?
-Where does it rank.

5) How does it compare to when the Flyers are at the Rangers?
-Do the Rangers bring more, less or a similar amount to Philly as Philly brings to MSG?
-Do they act similar and get treated similar or is a lot harsher being an enemy in Philly?

Thanks.

mucker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2007, 12:06 AM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Just don't be an a-hole or draw attention to yourself and you should be fine.

If I were you, I wouldn't wear an NYR jersey or loudly cheer for the NYR. I've never been to a Flyers game at MSG, so I don't know how Flyers fans are treated there, but as long as you aren't an ass, you should be fine.

Most of the people who have bad experiences with Philly fans are stupid enough to bring it upon themselves.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2007, 12:06 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Good luck.

No I'm just kidding.

In all honesty, with both the Rangers and Flyers fans, there's a Homer Simpson quote that sums these kinds of situations up:

"Alcohol. The cause of and solution to all of life's problems."

You're bound to run into a drunken fan here or there. If you come to Philly, ignore anything anyone says to you that's negative, and for the most part if you just cheer for your team and are respectable I don't see any problems arising.

Usually a good amount of Rangers fans make the trek to Philly, so you should see a good amounts of Rags fans there too.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2007, 12:23 AM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Just don't be an a-hole or draw attention to yourself and you should be fine.

If I were you, I wouldn't wear an NYR jersey or loudly cheer for the NYR. I've never been to a Flyers game at MSG, so I don't know how Flyers fans are treated there, but as long as you aren't an ass, you should be fine.

Most of the people who have bad experiences with Philly fans are stupid enough to bring it upon themselves.
I've worn my Flyers jersey to MSG (last year). I got a few jeers... nothing serious, and surely nothing I couldn't handle. Luckily, though, I'm quick-witted. Besides, there's plenty of fellow Flyers fans at the game, just as I'm sure there will be plenty of Rangers fans at the Wac.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2007, 12:33 AM
mucker*

Thanks.
I take it given how close NY is to Philly the Rangers have a strong amount of fans in Philly, similar to what is at MSG?

Old
10-25-2007, 05:05 AM
flyersfan97

Didn't we go through this same exact thing last season with a Pens fan?

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2007, 07:38 AM
phlflyer1

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewinder View Post
Thanks.
I take it given how close NY is to Philly the Rangers have a strong amount of fans in Philly, similar to what is at MSG?
Funny you brought this topic up as I posted on the Rangers board about the subject of opposing fans coming into Philly in a thread where a Leafs fan asked if it was okay to wear his Leafs sweater at MSG.

I've been to MSG at least a half dozen times or more and worn my jersey without any incidents other than a few good natured jabs which you have to be prepared to accept or don't bother going.

As was said earlier, you won't have any problem coming to Philly and wearing your Rangers jersey should you choose to do so as long as you respect the fact you are in an opposing building and don't go looking for trouble. Cheer for your team at the appropriate times, don't disrespect the home team and you have nothing to worry about.

Yes, you will see a few other fans wearing Rangers jerseys but don't expect to see them in as huge a number as if you went to a Devils or Islanders game.

phlflyer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2007, 08:32 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

I remember going to a Leafs vs. Flyers playoff game in 04, game 1, and I went with a Leafs fan because me and my friend made a deal that if they played we'd go. We did, and subsequently got called a traitor for going with a Leafs fan.

My point, even WE have to watch out for our own fans.

BTW I subsequently put him in his place with a rant of being a huge fan, embodied with a good choice of explicit words.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2007, 08:38 AM
orange and black48
BUTTHEAD!

Your not safe! That is all that I can really say. If you wear anything Rangers and they lose, people will be YELLING at you, your whole way out the Wac. I saw this quiet Isles fan at the home opener and they were tearing him a new ******* cause we won. It just doesn't matter. But you can't go into it being scared. Just be yourself and bring company! This is me talking and I am not the smartest individual, I mean I did start a Sidney Sucks chant when I saw him and Mario play 2 seasons back with two friends and we damn near got killed! (it was at the igloo)

orange and black48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2007, 09:01 AM
TOCxNJ

yea just be respectful....you definintely WILL get boo'd though. and honestly, before the game when you're walking around, you will probably get a couple of "a-hole, a-hole" chants but nothing rough, just typical stuff. just don't come in with your chin in the air and degrade the flyers.

i was at a preseason game this year and had visiting fans sitting next to me. they were really ******....before the game even started they were talking really loudly about how bad the flyers sucked and they arent even a real team anymore....then when the flyers skated out these fans started to boo them loudly. they were just disrespectful the whole first period....for the remainder of the game they sat somewhere else so i'm not sure what else they did. bottom line, don't act like that.

TOCxNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2007, 09:33 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Rangers fans have plenty of fans who show up. On weekends, it may be as high as 25-30%

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2007, 09:56 AM
phlflyer1

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Rangers fans have plenty of fans who show up. On weekends, it may be as high as 25-30%
You might have seen 25% Rangers fans in the building last year because the Flyers suked so bad that fans couldn't give away tickets but normally I would say it is 5-10% tops.

phlflyer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2007, 09:57 AM
BROADSTREETBULLY

Send a message via AIM to BROADSTREETBULLY Send a message via Yahoo to BROADSTREETBULLY
you will have a much bigger problem in the parking lot befor e and after the game then you do inside....

BROADSTREETBULLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2007, 02:17 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
just don't make an ass of yourself and you should be fine

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2007, 02:26 PM
genericname

i wouldn't recommend wearing your jersey. .if you do, and people give you a hard time just chuckle and say "good one."

Last edited by genericname: 10-25-2007 at 02:27 PM. Reason: text size
genericname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2007, 02:43 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnightRU View Post
I remember going to a Leafs vs. Flyers playoff game in 04, game 1, and I went with a Leafs fan because me and my friend made a deal that if they played we'd go. We did, and subsequently got called a traitor for going with a Leafs fan.

My point, even WE have to watch out for our own fans.

BTW I subsequently put him in his place with a rant of being a huge fan, embodied with a good choice of explicit words.
That's just an example of someone taking the game way too seriously. **** those people. What's the big deal? A friend is a friend first, and the fan of a rival team second. Besides, it can be a lot of fun to attend a game with friend when both your teams are playing, provided, of course, your team wins and you can give him a hard time about it afterwards.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2007, 03:27 PM
Gags1288

Quote:
I was considering making a trip to the Wachovia Center to see the Rangers this season, but I had a couple of questions.

When I go to see my teams on the road, I prefer to not be in a rough place or if it will be rough, at least to have some protection of my own fans.

3) How are they treated?

4) Most of all how is a Ranger game like when compared to when other teams are in town like
-Where does it rank.

-Do the Rangers bring more, less or a similar amount to Philly as Philly brings to MSG?
-Do they act similar and get treated similar or is a lot harsher being an enemy in Philly?

Thanks.
1) Maybe 500 Rangers fans would be normal, maybe less. I think there are more Flyers fans at Rangers game then vice-versa.

2) Generally, they're fairly civil

3) Not well

4) I think the Rangers have one of the larger turnouts due to proximity. I don't think we ever get more then 500 or so opposing fans when the team is at least decent. Maybe Pittsburgh at possibly Toronto in the playoffs compares. For the games I've been to this season, I'd say there were probably 25-50 Hurricanes fans and about that many Isles fans.

5) Like I said, I think more Flyers fans go to MSG then Rags fans in Philly. I've only been to a couple games at MSG and Rags fans were fairly hospitable, so I'd say that Rags fans are treated slightly worse in Philly, but nothing too bad unless they're obnoxious or it's the playoffs.

Gags1288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2007, 04:02 PM

Just ignore this guy.

Quote:

3) How are they treated?

-Where does it rank.

Thanks.
I am not sure what his/her intentions are, but the same post is made on the Igglephans message board anytime the Eagles play a NY team. There is definitely an ulterior motive at work here.

#31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2007, 07:25 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by BROADSTREETBULLY View Post
you will have a much bigger problem in the parking lot befor e and after the game then you do inside....
Yeah, the people outside tailgating and drinking beer yell words that I can't say here. I am acquainted with some of them.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2007, 10:42 PM
Andrea5174

I lived in Philly for 6 years (and I am actually moving back next Tuesday YAY!). Anyway, I wore an Isles jersey or sweatshirt etc there many many times and never really got much of a hassle.

It is a beautiful arena too.

Andrea5174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2007, 09:38 PM
mucker*

Thanks.

1) Is there any reason why the Flyers would have more fans at MSG than the Rangers in Philly?
-I would find this surprising and expect the Rangers to match or exceed due to them being in New York which is a market 10 times the size of Philly.
That just doesn't seem right.

2) Nice to hear the Rangers it sounds are well represented.
-Again would you say they are the best of all teams?

3) What about the Pens?
-Are they well represented and right up there?

4) What about the Caps?

Thanks.

Old
11-03-2007, 10:46 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
1) Is there any reason why the Flyers would have more fans at MSG than the Rangers in Philly?
-I would find this surprising and expect the Rangers to match or exceed due to them being in New York which is a market 10 times the size of Philly.
That just doesn't seem right.
New York is a much more attractive destination than Philly for someone to visit, so there are probably a lot of people who make the trip for more than just the game.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote