HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Whats up with our Shots Allowed/Shots Taken ratio?

Old
11-06-2007, 01:12 PM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
Not that I disagree with you Jester, but to play devil's advocate here, I cant even count how many times the Flyers over the years have severly outshot their opponent but lost the game......Could we possibly be putting more stock into this then necessary?
individual games, it's fine.

consistently the case, it's a problem.

i would also note that I wouldn't be all that concerned about it if we were talking about a couple of shots here or there... our DIF is -8.6 on the season right now... that is close to translating into a goal a game against in raw statistical analysis given a normal SVPCT (which we don't have right now).

none of my arguments about problems with this team should be viewed as critical analysis of a game-to-game basis, it's critical analysis in problems when you give them the long-term look and consider them over 82 games.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 01:15 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
He's played in the AHL for nearly 100 games in his career and in the 05-06 season, he was +6 on a team that finished last in the division and on a team where nearly every player was a minus. I'm throwing out the stats because I haven't seen him play for the Phantoms too often, but that's a pretty decent stat. And he looked bad defensively at times, but you have to keep in mind that he was playing on a truly awful team who had a coach who was way out of his depth (no matter how bad we've been this year, it hasn't been as bad as last year).

I mean, he's already had his year in the AHL and he's been playing pro hockey for more than 2 years. At some point, you have to give him the NHL playing time and considering the defensive disaster that this team has been so far, I really don't see the harm in giving him his shot now.
i, for one, think this team has completely SCREWED UP the development of a few players by bringing them up too soon due to the rash of injuries the last couple of years... and Picard is one of them. give the guy some stability and let him play 20+ a night... as of now we have some cap problems with bringing him up anyway.

Old
11-06-2007, 01:50 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
individual games, it's fine.

consistently the case, it's a problem.

i would also note that I wouldn't be all that concerned about it if we were talking about a couple of shots here or there... our DIF is -8.6 on the season right now... that is close to translating into a goal a game against in raw statistical analysis given a normal SVPCT (which we don't have right now).

none of my arguments about problems with this team should be viewed as critical analysis of a game-to-game basis, it's critical analysis in problems when you give them the long-term look and consider them over 82 games.
I agree, good analysis as always...this is definitely the problem, I just cant decide whether it is caused by

a) the inability to cycle the puck
b) lack of puck moving dmen
c) both

This team doesnt appear to be set up to be a puck possession team with the exception of maybe Hartnell and Knuble. They want to score from the rush. I think the issue is getting the puck out of the zone. Timonen can move the puck, but hasnt been playing his best, Kukkonen makes good decisions, but other then that, guys are struggling back there.....we miss someone steady like Desjardins.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 02:08 PM
Jester

Quote:
I agree, good analysis as always...this is definitely the problem, I just cant decide whether it is caused by

a) the inability to cycle the puck
b) lack of puck moving dmen
c) both

This team doesnt appear to be set up to be a puck possession team with the exception of maybe Hartnell and Knuble. They want to score from the rush. I think the issue is getting the puck out of the zone. Timonen can move the puck, but hasnt been playing his best, Kukkonen makes good decisions, but other then that, guys are struggling back there.....we miss someone steady like Desjardins.
see, it doesn't even need to be a low down cycle, or any of that stuff... our games literally spend ZERO time in the neutral zone. we get the puck and go flying up ice and try to work a rush into a goal... then we lose the puck and the other team comes down and it's 30 seconds or so before we try and go at it again.

it's not the case that you have to spend all your time with the puck below the dots... you can be a puck possession team AND a rush team, but it requires that you play smart. if the rush isn't there you can recycle the puck back to your defense and try to probe it through again... you can be a bit more patient in how you get up the ice... there are times to play the game fast, and there are times to play the game slower...

right now, we play the game tremendously quick on offense, which is one of the reasons we have so little possession. it's go go go go SHOT... no patience on the puck. and we're simply not good enough at getting the puck back to play that game safely.

Old
11-06-2007, 02:11 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
see, it doesn't even need to be a low down cycle, or any of that stuff... our games literally spend ZERO time in the neutral zone. we get the puck and go flying up ice and try to work a rush into a goal... then we lose the puck and the other team comes down and it's 30 seconds or so before we try and go at it again.

it's not the case that you have to spend all your time with the puck below the dots... you can be a puck possession team AND a rush team, but it requires that you play smart. if the rush isn't there you can recycle the puck back to your defense and try to probe it through again... you can be a bit more patient in how you get up the ice... there are times to play the game fast, and there are times to play the game slower...

right now, we play the game tremendously quick on offense, which is one of the reasons we have so little possession. it's go go go go SHOT... no patience on the puck. and we're simply not good enough at getting the puck back to play that game safely.
which is why I think the need for more puck moving dmen is important...

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 02:45 PM
Jester

Quote:
which is why I think the need for more puck moving dmen is important...
maybe so, but it isn't as if they're even trying to use them in these cases... our forward are playing with little to no patience, which is probably a byproduct of having a lot of young forwards, but the coach needs to be banging it down on this team that you can run out there and get outshot by 10 a night and never win the puck possession battle while remaining successful in this league.