HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Best wheels for indoor roller hockey

Old
10-16-2007, 02:34 PM
DarrenBanks56

vCash: 500
Best wheels for indoor roller hockey

Can some of you guys recommend me some good wheels for indoor roller hockey??
I am looking for something with a micro hub.
I just bought these http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/descp...ml?pcode=MB816
And after 4 games they started to crack and after 5 games 2 of them totally chipped off.
Im not a really fast skater- about average speed, but would be looking for something with a good grip. I weigh about 215lbs.

DarrenBanks56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2007, 07:46 PM
Nosebleed Section

Cant help with the details but myself and lots of guys I play with go with Hyper wheels and we've had no complaints. Are you sure its not crappy court your playing on? Like i.e. is it spourt court or concrete? Those are pretty pricy wheels so I cant see why you would ahve problems unless there too soft so maybe go a bit harder.

Nosebleed Section is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2007, 11:32 PM
BigBearnier

if your gonna spend that much, get yourself some rink rat hornets...

no microhub, but they're outstanding

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/rinkrat-hornet1.html

BigBearnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2007, 11:50 PM
Boyd_Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by theCookieMonster View Post
if your gonna spend that much, get yourself some rink rat hornets...

no microhub, but they're outstanding

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/rinkrat-hornet1.html
This is the truth. I play about 4 times a week and these wheels do it all. I usually don't get a lot of life out of my wheels but these hold up and perform well

Boyd_Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2007, 02:00 AM
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts

I'd suggest Hyper Trinity wheels 78A.

The Number next to the A stands for the durometer, which is how hard the wheel is. A 200+ pound skater should be using a harder wheel.

You're in the same boat as my friend Mike, and I just made the same suggestion to him.

I've played indoor roller for a while, I'm about 170-175 pounds, and I use 76 flex. I can get away with 74, but I'm better off using a slightly harder wheel. The softer you go if you're a heavier skater, the more of a chance there is to bend and chunk your wheels.

I remember my buddy Mike had one of his wheels fall right off the hub once during the game, it was ridiculous.

The Amity Affliction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2007, 08:11 AM
Tinordi24*

If you play on a sport court, flight deck or ice court then the best wheels IMO are anything Labeda makes. I have found them to be superior to the old Kryptonics (Mr Sticky's), Hyper (crappy formula G), Kuzak, Red star.

The Millenium wheels are an excellent value. The old gripper snappers wear too quickly but I've never found a wheels that lets me feel like I can stop like I can on ice outside of these!

I ALWAYS get the SOFTEST wheels possible. If you value the first step, stopping, and sharp turning then these are the best choice. 74A or 76A for indoor unless you weight in excess of 220lbs ofcourse!

Tinordi24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2007, 08:40 AM
JMR27

I'm 5' 11" 219lbs , I never knew wheels were that important based on this.I'm a great skater but I have slowed a bit. I always think it's do to my wheels plus I put on a few lbs. I have 68's in the front and 72's in the back. I was told this would make me faster in short sprints. I didn't like the feel of this. I just came off 78's, 72's. So for speed and sharpness of turns what size should I be using to go along with my Ht. & Wt. ????

JMR27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2007, 09:35 AM
Tinordi24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMR27 View Post
I'm 5' 11" 219lbs , I never knew wheels were that important based on this.I'm a great skater but I have slowed a bit. I always think it's do to my wheels plus I put on a few lbs. I have 68's in the front and 72's in the back. I was told this would make me faster in short sprints. I didn't like the feel of this. I just came off 78's, 72's. So for speed and sharpness of turns what size should I be using to go along with my Ht. & Wt. ????
Hey bro,

I think there is some clarification needed.

There are two numbers to every wheel...one is the Durometer (which is how hard or soft the wheel is) and the other is the Size (in milimeters).

Durometer - The softer the wheel (the lower the number ie 74A is softer than 76A) the easier it is to stop, turn and feel in control. The higher the number the faster you can go since the wheels are harder and dont "sink" into the surface as much.

The standards mentioned on websites is usually that if a player is below 170lbs then they should use X-soft wheels (74A) for indoor play on a sportcourt or similar surface. For players above that and below 190lbs they should seek 76A. Over 190lbs should seek 78A.

NOTE: I found this to be bogus. I'm 185lbs and want the softest wheels I can possibly get (74A) based on my playing style and since I've played Ice before I kinda like being able to stop.

The other number is the size of the wheel: For skaters they usually come in 68mm, 72mm, 76mm, and 80mm. It depends on what kind of skates you use to see which ones you need. Hi-Low chassis usually go with 2 smaller wheels in front and 2 larger wheels in back. The traditional chassis took one size for all wheels.

In general the SMALLER the wheel the better your balance and quickness. The larger the wheel the more sheer speed you can achieve. Depends on your playing style.

Hope this helps.

Tinordi24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2007, 02:29 PM
Nosebleed Section

K I'm not too sure about the whole weight ratio thing, I've never really heard of anyone breaing wheels cause they were too soft basically I've just known it all to be preference but I dunno maybe the weight thing could be a factor in it. As far as setting wheels with your basic high low chassis you'll want smaller softer wheels in the front (softer wheels help turn) and harder wheels (to help you stop) in the back.

If people want a comparison Im about 160 lbs I use 72mm(74a) -76mm(76a)-76mm(76a)-80mm(78a) front->back

Last edited by Nosebleed Section: 10-26-2007 at 02:35 PM.
Nosebleed Section is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2007, 02:56 PM
McNasty

Right now I'm rolling on Labeda dynasty Xtra soft, the grip is nice but I have considered switching my middle wheels to regular soft wheels because you don't get a great push of them, They help me stop really easily though.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2007, 07:21 PM
DarrenBanks56

thanks guys- I just ordered up some labeda grippers (soft)
got 4 each in 72mm and 80mm.
They only had them for the bigger size bearrings, so I had to get 8 bearrings too.
I remember I had these wheels years back on my old skates and they worked great. I believe they are white wheels.

DarrenBanks56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2007, 08:00 PM
windflare

Rink Rat Hot Shots are pretty good for a lightweight like me.

windflare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2007, 08:51 PM
McNasty

Labeda grippers are good wheels, and you really won't find better wheels at that price.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote