HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Post Game : Habs 5 - Blues 2

Closed Thread

Old
01-13-2004, 06:17 PM
gohabsgo2010

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to gohabsgo2010
Post Game : Habs 5 - Blues 2

Montreal Canadiens - 5
St. Louis Blues - 2

1st Period

5:50 : P. Demitra (14) - K. Tkachuk , C. Pronger - PP
11:09 : M. Ribeiro (10) - P. Dagenais - EV

2nd Period

3:44 : R. Zednik (15) - M. Ribeiro - EV
6:46 : M. Ryder (12) - J. Bulis, S. Koivu - EV
9:47 : C. Rivet (3) - J. Ward, Y. Perreault - PP

3rd Period

8:52 : E. Nicklaus (7) - E. Boguniecki, C. Backman - EV
16:07 : J. Bulis (9) - S. Koivu - EV

On a night in which the Habs welcomed back talented Swede Niklas Sundstrom into the fold, the team was completely energized for nearly the entire game. After a Richard Zednik second period goal seemed to kickstart the players' sticks, Michael Ryder and Craig Rivet hit the scoresheet en route to an explosive second period that saw the Habs enter the third frame with a comfortable 4-1 lead. Eric Niklaus added his seventh goal at 8:52 of the third to add a little nervousness to all Habs fans cheers, but a great play by Saku Koivu was finished off by Jan Bulis, as the Czech winger was rewarded after a night of hard skating and good all around play.

My Man of the Match : #11 Saku Koivu

Shots on Goal : MTL 28 - STL 18
Faceoffs Won : MTL 46% - STL 54 %
Powerplay : MTL 1/7 - STL 1/6

RDS Three Stars:

3. Craig RIVET
2. Saku KOIVU
3. Mike RIBEIRO

Other Important Scores:

NYR 4 - NYI 1
TB 3 - PIT 1
OTT 4 - NJ 0
TOR 4 - CGY 1

Last edited by gohabsgo2010: 01-13-2004 at 06:25 PM.
Old
01-13-2004, 06:22 PM
RE-HABS

Great game by the Habs as a whole team. Nice to see we can beat the higher teams as well as the lower and mid teams, not to mention with our back up in net too. Great consistant hockey by the Habs.
We may have 5 or more 20 goal scorers this year, when was the last time that happened?

Old
01-13-2004, 06:31 PM
gohabsgo2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS
Yep! Not to mention we are playing without Begin, Dackell, and Markov.

As long as we have the first powerplay unit in tact, we're set in that department. The fact that we have Markov and Brisebois on the second unit is very nice.

Old
01-13-2004, 06:39 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl.roberts
Yep! Not to mention we are playing without Begin, Dackell, and Markov.

As long as we have the first powerplay unit in tact, we're set in that department. The fact that we have Markov and Brisebois on the second unit is very nice.
Not to mention Hainsey waiting in the wings for his fulltime shot.

Old
01-13-2004, 06:41 PM
gohabsgo2010

Quote:
Not to mention Hainsey waiting in the wings for his fulltime shot.
Definitely. I'd even play three defencemen on the second unit when, when, WHEN he gets here. Soon isn't soon enough. He should be a Hab.

Fulltime shot indeed. No more jerking the guy around. Give him a spot, let him play to keep it, because he will do just that.

Old
01-13-2004, 06:45 PM
Joseph

We cycled the puck real well tonight. I hope this will end all the Ribiero trade rumors etc. He has great hands, and is strong on the puck. We are looking good out there.

Old
01-13-2004, 06:50 PM
NWT Habs Fan

Really important win against a much tougher opponent. The Habs also showed some real character by not caving after that early 5 minute major penalty to the Cube and its ensuing goal to be down 1-0 early. Even with that major and a Yannic's double minor, Habs outshot the Blues in the first and ended up tied.

It was also good to see Garon not showing the rust that can be there with your first start in three weeks. It is always nice to know that you can rest Theo and not give anything up in net.

Old
01-13-2004, 06:51 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl.roberts
Definitely. I'd even play three defencemen on the second unit when, when, WHEN he gets here. Soon isn't soon enough. He should be a Hab.

Fulltime shot indeed. No more jerking the guy around. Give him a spot, let him play to keep it, because he will do just that.
I honestly thought he was playing well when he was up and thought he was part of the reason for Brisebois turn around this season. He will get another shot, a lot of team have D hurt and we have an abundance we would trade like our 3rd star tonight Rivet...St.Louis is a team with two of their top three Dmen out and needing some stability. Rivet may have looked attractive to Pleau and Quenville tonight?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph
We cycled the puck real well tonight. I hope this will end all the Ribiero trade rumors etc. He has great hands, and is strong on the puck. We are looking good out there.
Great game indeed, and Ribs is going nowhere!

Old
01-13-2004, 06:51 PM
Natural Habs Fan

I'm just happy that we're winning. The race for a playoff spot is tight. Hopefully we can keep this up cause I'm really hoping to see les boys in the post-season.

Old
01-13-2004, 06:53 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWT Habs Fan
It was also good to see Garon not showing the rust that can be there with your first start in three weeks. It is always nice to know that you can rest Theo and not give anything up in net.
It's also nice to know tht your back up is good enough to play the top teams not just the lower teams like Pittsburgh, Colombus and so on...it's great to have a 1-2 punch like we have in Theo and Garon (not to mention a young one too).

Old
01-13-2004, 06:58 PM
Histrion

Send a message via MSN to Histrion
Very nice to see us get a win tonight against a tough opponent altough the Blues didn't play up to their potential, a win is a win and all that matters is that we got the two points. Tomorrow will be important too, if we can win both that would be really great.

We have played more games than a lot of our competitors so it is very, very important to get all the points we can since the others could get hot anytime soon.

Old
01-13-2004, 06:59 PM
SpezNc

I apreciate Jason Ward all nigth....

Too bad he got -1 for a bad change......

But, in the end, who care? He played (His linemates too) a solid defensive play with a lot of chances offensively....

My 4 stars..

1- Ribeiro
2- Ward
3- Koivu
4- Rivet
5- Souray

nobody play bad....

Old
01-13-2004, 07:00 PM
gohabsgo2010

Quote:
I honestly thought he was playing well when he was up and thought he was part of the reason for Brisebois turn around this season
That Hainsey-Brisebois pairing was a great one. Very offensive and both were holding their own defensively. They seemed to read each other well, and their offensive instincts enabled them to know when to jump into a play, or when to make the pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph
There were alot of times earlier in the season when I would have gladly dumped him. Right now, he's playing to damn well to move. The powerplay is great, his linemates are producing, and he's looking so confident. Gotta love watching him handle that puck, too.

Old
01-13-2004, 07:16 PM
Lewis63

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezNc
My 4 stars..

1- Ribeiro
2- Ward
3- Koivu
4- Rivet
5- Souray
that would be 5 stars...

Sourray played over 28 minutes. that was largely in part du to bouillon's expulsion. That also ment that Sourray was our only Left Handed Defense for the whole game almost.
I'm a little disapointed that Komi got just under 15 minutes of ice time

Old
01-13-2004, 07:30 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis63
I'm a little disapointed that Komi got just under 15 minutes of ice time
Really? I don't agree, considering he was barely getting 10 minutes when he first got here. 15 minutes a game for a rookie is very good and it shows Julien is slowly and progressively easing him in while trying to avoid putting him in difficult situations on the ice, so he can build confidence and adapt to the NHL pace and style. We should all be happy campers if Julien feels confident enough to put Komisarek 15 minutes every game out there.

Old
01-13-2004, 07:37 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 567
Especially in a penalty filled game like that one..Komo barely plays on the PK and never on the PP.

Old
01-13-2004, 07:45 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan
Especially in a penalty filled game like that one..Komo barely plays on the PK and never on the PP.
Exactly, that is good icetime especially for a kid on D who is only getting regular ice time and no special teams play...he is doing well then IMO.

Old
01-13-2004, 07:46 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
I honestly thought he was playing well when he was up and thought he was part of the reason for Brisebois turn around this season. !
i am not sure ... but are you seriously talking about Hainsey ?
are you seriously about saying that he was a part of the reason of the turn around of Brisebois ???

really special how different people can understand a game ...all the staff of the team that demote a player because he's not ready to play in the NHL and you , who see him like a part of the turn around of Brisebois ...

curious , really curious .May be i miss something ; i would like you to give more details of the way you see it .thanks

Last edited by goalchenyuk: 01-13-2004 at 07:52 PM.
Old
01-13-2004, 07:57 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0v
i am not sure ... but are you seriously talking about Hainsey ?
are you seriously about saying that he was a part of the reason of the turn around of Brisebois ???

really special how different people can understand a game ...all the staff of the team that send down a player because heMs not ready to play in the NHL and you , who see him like a part of the turn around of Brisebois ...
Your reading into this too much and not seeing what I'm saying. I don't think Brisebois is having the season he is having because of hainsey...heck they only played with each other for what a month?
But...
Its in my honest opinion that the two looked and played good together. Brisebois was defensively sound and played virtually mistake free (I'm not saying Hainsey is the reason Brisebois is playing so well this year, but maybe he was made more aware of playing in his own end to cover up for a rookie offensive minded Dman..maybe it was a CJ eye opener?) but I think for CJ to pair two offesnively minded and not so physical Dmen together and for them not to play bad or cause turn overs it says something about their compatabilty as partners and for each others confidence. Hainsey didn't light up the league and got sent down, but I feel if he had stayed up he would have learned and improved just as well as he has in latest stint in Steeltown. He'll be back this season at some point I feel.

Old
01-13-2004, 08:15 PM
Joe Malone

Great game. Gotta be tough for Garon to go so long between starts, after playing so many games in recent years. Coming in cold, and expected to be sharp. Ah, the life of a backup. I know he didn't face many shots, but he handled himself well.

Rivet was a +4, and logged 25:08 ice time. With Boullion out, there was only Rivet and Souray to man the left side. But the left side is not Rivet's normal side, and since he's hammered here from time to time, I thought he should get recognized for his good night. Hey, he even got a star.

Koivu, Bulis, Ryder, Ribeiro, Zednik, Dagenais....our top six forwards all played like top six forwards. Special teams are clicking, and everybody's working. Gotta love it!

Go Habs Go!!

Old
01-13-2004, 08:17 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

wow we haven't beat the Blues sine '98-'99. And Rivet a +4 on the night, he cut his horrid -9 to a -5 in one game, way to go. Maybe they should break up the Rivet Cube combo

I thought Ward showed some hard work, and our special teams looked very special.

Was Juneau wearing new skates?

Old
01-13-2004, 08:33 PM
Guy Caballero

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
wow we haven't beat the Blues sine '98-'99. And Rivet a +4 on the night, he cut his horrid -9 to a -5 in one game, way to go. Maybe they should break up the Rivet Cube combo

I thought Ward showed some hard work, and our special teams looked very special.

Was Juneau wearing new skates?
Rivet has been playing better as of late. I'm glad to see that, because he's basically a good guy who likes playing for the Habs. The same can be said for Bouillon, but I think Hainsey has earned that spot, or at least has earned the opportunity to claim it as his own. The problem is, when we get Markov back, we can't really take both Bouillon and Quintal out of the lineup, which we would have to do to accomodate Markov+Hainsey. Looks like Komi is going to be the casualty when Markov returns.

Didn't see the game tonight, but I plan to catch the 2:30 am rerun on RDS (one of the joys of freelancing = picking your own hours ). This is a very big and exciting win for the Habs. With Boston surging, the Habs needed a win here to keep up the pace, and they got it versus one of the league's elite teams, and with gusto. What more could you ask for?

Old
01-13-2004, 09:16 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Your reading into this too much and not seeing what I'm saying. I don't think Brisebois is having the season he is having because of hainsey...heck they only played with each other for what a month?
But...
Its in my honest opinion that the two looked and played good together. Brisebois was defensively sound and played virtually mistake free (I'm not saying Hainsey is the reason Brisebois is playing so well this year, but maybe he was made more aware of playing in his own end to cover up for a rookie offensive minded Dman..maybe it was a CJ eye opener?) but I think for CJ to pair two offesnively minded and not so physical Dmen together and for them not to play bad or cause turn overs it says something about their compatabilty as partners and for each others confidence. Hainsey didn't light up the league and got sent down, but I feel if he had stayed up he would have learned and improved just as well as he has in latest stint in Steeltown. He'll be back this season at some point I feel.
thanks to make it more clear ...''but maybe he was made more aware of playing in his own end to cover up for a rookie offensive minded Dman..maybe it was a CJ eye opener?)'' this is a good point , re-habs

Old
01-13-2004, 09:35 PM
Sonik

Quote:
Great game by the Habs as a whole team. Nice to see we can beat the higher teams as well as the lower and mid teams, not to mention with our back up in net too. Great consistant hockey by the Habs.
We may have 5 or more 20 goal scorers this year, when was the last time that happened?
1995-96 - 8 players (!!!) : Turgeon-38, Damphousse-38, Recchi-28, Rucinsky-29, Kovalenko-28, Koivu-20, Bure-25, Savage-22

1996-97 - 5 players : Damphousse-27, Recchi-34, Savage-23, Rucinsky-28, Richer-22

1997-98 - 4 players : Recchi-32, Corson-21, Rucinsky-21, Savage-26

Looking at that, seems like Rucinsky wasn't all that bad...

Old
01-13-2004, 09:36 PM
Wildbeliefs

Beside his assist on the Ribs goal, how was Dagenais' game tonight?

Closed Thread