HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sam Rosen / Michelleti

Old
10-26-2007, 03:17 PM
dkatzism

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Ranger View Post
I like 'em both, don't want them going anywhere. One of the few only announcers that actually have KNOWLEDGE ABOUT everything, and not just their team, and can pronounce peoples names correctly.
Well, except for Guillaume Latendresse...

It's not like everyone here can do a better job.

Old
10-26-2007, 03:41 PM
Nekz
Let's Go Rangers!

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Nekz
I can't stand Michelleti.

Nekz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2007, 03:59 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
Do any of the MSG crew really have that much history in hockey besides Michelletti and Fischler?

Always see Sam doing football games, boxing matches and stuff, and Al does knicks and bicycling on vs.

I suppose I'm just wondering if they simply cover all msg related events, to which hockeys falls under, or if guys like Sam, Al, Giannone, Kaufman would ever be hockey fans if they didn't work for msg?

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2007, 04:03 PM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by NekoZ View Post
I can't stand Michelleti.
whats so bad about him, theres SO much worse

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2007, 04:07 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
Seemingly the biggest knock is he's not John Davidson.

10-26-2007, 04:11 PM
Stoney La Rock

I like both Sam and Joe okay, but I have noticed that there's less and less calling the game and more and more bs about whatever else is going on.

One other thing about Joe Michs - has anyone else noticed that he repeats himself a lot? An awful lot. The people I watch games with call him Echo.

Stoney La Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2007, 04:12 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Is Avery View Post
Do any of the MSG crew really have that much history in hockey besides Michelletti and Fischler?

Always see Sam doing football games, boxing matches and stuff, and Al does knicks and bicycling on vs.

I suppose I'm just wondering if they simply cover all msg related events, to which hockeys falls under, or if guys like Sam, Al, Giannone, Kaufman would ever be hockey fans if they didn't work for msg?

Well Giannone & Deb really got their biggest starts in hockey. Giannone is a Rangers guy and only really covers the Rangers. Deb is mainly an Islanders analyst. I usually don't see either of them doing other stuff (besides MSG related shows)

Apparently Al was an Islanders stickboy back in the day. IDK if that means he was an Islanders fan growing up or what.

Sam grew up in Rockland county and is a lifelong Rangers fan.

Also Al was covering hockey in the 1980s for USA back before he came to MSG.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2007, 04:46 PM
otterulz

I miss JD but he was an obvious homer, which was good and bad. I remember Kelly Buchburger (I know I butchered the spelling on that) once drew a penalty against a Ranger by getting in a his face and acting like he was gonna fight. The Ranger dropped his gloves and got a penalty, while Kelly didn't get whistled for anything. JD went off on him, basically saying it was a cheap move and if you're gonna act like you're gonna fight then you better drop the gloves. Of course, I can't remember if this was before or after that incident, Adam Graves drew a penalty by faking the other guy out, making him look like he was gonna drop his gloves, the other guy did, and Gravy skated away while the other guy went in the box. JD of course called that a smart move and a great way to draw a penalty for his team.

I don't mind if you're a homer. In fact, I kinda like when a guy has an obvious bias for the home team. But at the same time, make your opinions consistent. I don't want to hear praise for Graves and then rip on another guy for basically doing the same thing. Pick a stance and stick with it.

Still, I do miss him.

otterulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2007, 07:18 PM
NyRangers88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to NyRangers88
Sam and Joe are fine, althogh I prefer JD alot more. I dont know why you guys are complaining about Sam, hes the voice of he rangers..i wouldnt want to listen to anyone else. Plus, who else can call a power play goal like he does?

Really quickly I just have to comment on someone who cannot do a broadcast if thier life depended on it:
THE DEVILS color commentrary women on the radio-I couldnt belive some of the stuff she said about the Rangers, she knows abosolutly nothing about hockey, or the devils for that matter. I remember in last nights ranger devils game she said something like "Gomez isnt quite playing as good with Jagr as he did last year". Then she said "...and the Rangers spent thier money unwisley on two aged centers who are at the ends of thier career, they could have used that money in other places..." It was the first time I actually was yelling at the radio.

Another thing, this is completly off topic, but I dont want to start a seperate thread...

Did anyone notice at the end of the Devils Islanders game, (4-3 Isles OT), The islanders all went to the center of the ice, and saluted thier fans by raising thier sticks high in the air? Hmm this sounds vaugly familiar to something, but I cant put my finger on it

NyRangers88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2007, 09:08 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Well actually one thing makes me mad about Joe, he keeps saying Jagr is 250 pounds. Jagr is not and never was 250 pounds, he was 240 at the end of last years season and now is riding at like 225 +/-.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2007, 09:11 PM
Hockey MD

Send a message via AIM to Hockey MD
Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
By the end I wasn't too high on JD either. I like Maloney a lot and was quite disappointed when Michelleti got picked over him.
I thought maloney was in at least i hoped as well

Hockey MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2007, 09:29 PM
Andrea5174

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
Yeah and their names are Howie Rose and Billy "Eyebrows" Jaffe

Andrea5174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2007, 09:39 PM
GarretJoseph*

JD was the best.

I actually wouldn't mind a few games with Brett Hull givin him opinion...

Brett Hull & J.R in a few years? that would be crazy.

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2007, 09:44 PM
KH1

No Rangers fan would ever, ever complain about Joe Michelleti if they had to listen to Billy "Eyebrows" Jaffe 80 times a year. Michelleti's one of the best in the business.

KH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2007, 09:51 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Well actually one thing makes me mad about Joe, he keeps saying Jagr is 250 pounds. Jagr is not and never was 250 pounds, he was 240 at the end of last years season and now is riding at like 225 +/-.
How do you know he's 225?

I like both of them alright. Sam strays off topic a little too much, but I don't really mind it.

Michelleti is great for what he is. Does a pretty nice job, can't really complain

Sometimes the two talk way too much about the other team though. It's nice to hear sometimes, but we don't need every players life story. Then again, maybe it's just me

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2007, 02:43 AM
yada
move 2 dallas 4 work

Send a message via Yahoo to yada
Only other guy I'd want to hear more then michelletti would be drew remenda but he's a shark through and through

yada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2007, 02:50 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

It's a lose-lose situation for Michelleti in replacing JD. I happen to think Joe is one of the better color men in the game right now. The fact that he is so objective and impartial makes him real entertaining to tune into from an unbiased perspective, and, like it or not, color commentators are supposed to be pretty neutral IMO. Let the play-by-play man swing his tone in favor of the home team when they score - but make sure my color man gives both teams credit when it is due, and criticizes both teams when it's warranted.

Sam remains a personal favorite and top-3 PXP man in the league in my eyes. I think the tandem is great.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2007, 08:55 AM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I like them both but Sam has been worse than Joe this year. I don't know if Sam is working too much (doing football and boxing) or what but this is the first year he seems slipping a bit.
Agreed.

Happens to the best of 'em.

It's time to silence his mike at even strength and turn it over to a younger announcer.

He's still effective on power plays and penalty kills, so turn the mike back on for those.

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2007, 10:11 AM
blue425

Anyone replacing JD was stepping into some big shoes. That being the case I say Joe has done a respectable job.

As far as Jeanerette is concerned, I don't like him...I can understand why Sabres fans like him though.

Doc is #1 though..no question.

blue425 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2007, 10:17 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
Jeanerette is great, and an absolute maniac. is there any truth to the rumor the he cannot do a broadcast without a bottle of jack?

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2007, 10:38 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

For all those who say Sam is slipping: I agree he hasn't been his sharpest over the first 9 games, but it seems to me that this happens every year - I feel every year it takes him until about December to really get on his game and be sharp. And then for the stretch run of Jan through (hopefully) June he's great. There are the natural getting to know the league again after offseason rejiggering factors, but more important I think are his football commitments on national TV, which prevent him from getting really immersed in the NHL until about the holidays. Still, Sam distracted is better than 80-90% of the other play by play guys at "full strength".

I for one think we're blessed to have Sam and Joe (who's only real problem, as one of the mods pointed out, is that he's not JD) and look forward to years more. If you ever want to refresh your appreciation for them - try listening to the game with out of market announcers. *Shudder*

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2007, 10:42 AM
ihatenewjersey

sam and jd will always be #1 to me

ihatenewjersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2007, 10:54 AM
PhlipDowt

the tradition of hearing San Nosens voice ove the games outweighs any mistakes he makes...IMO

PhlipDowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2007, 11:02 AM
Jay88*

Quote:
And you know this becuase?

by just looking at his bio, if not I dont see how you know what he weighs.

Jay88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2007, 11:44 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Is Avery View Post
Jeanerette is great, and an absolute maniac. is there any truth to the rumor the he cannot do a broadcast without a bottle of jack?
I think he prefers his canadian beer, to be honest I don't know if he's as much of a whiskey man as people are led to believe.

He's definitely drunk though.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote