HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Randy Jones hit on Patrice Bergeron [Youtube at post #158]

Closed Thread

Old
10-27-2007, 06:22 PM
Flyersguru

vCash: 500
If it was someone not wearing a Flyers jersey, it would be all quiet here. If the Bruins thought it was so bad, they would of went after the Flyers.

Old
10-27-2007, 06:22 PM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersguru View Post
I don't have to watch a video clip, when I saw it live.
And yet you were still able to post about it in your team's GDT. You brought a laptop to the game, I guess.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=435313&page=8

Nice try.

Old
10-27-2007, 06:23 PM
jaydub*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jok-AtTheDriveIn-en View Post
I'm obviously being sarcastic man, but come on. For 3 dirty hits 10 games into the season, andf ALL OF them be Philly players? what a joke.
i guess the quality of character possessed by their coach and GM is rubbing off on the players

Old
10-27-2007, 06:24 PM
Flyersguru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Jase View Post
And yet you were still able to post about it in your team's GDT. You brought a laptop to the game, I guess.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=435313&page=8

Nice try.
I never said I was at the game, I saw it live on TV. 57'' tv's give great views.

Do you know what it means to see it live? It means as something happens.

Old
10-27-2007, 06:26 PM
SuperUnknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMiller View Post
A new bar has been set though when it comes to borderline hits. 20+ games wouldn't surprise me in the least.

FWIW I didn't think Downey deserved more than 5 for his shot based on precendent.
This isn't even close to the downie hit. No clear intent to injure, and although Bergeron's head banged into the boards, it wasn't a head hit per se.

Old
clefty
What?

Jesus, since when does Randy Jones hit people?

Old
True North

Send a message via MSN to True North
For everyone using the "these hits happen all the time, only difference was Bergeron got hurt" defense, how in the HELL are these hits ever going to stop if the NHL doesn't crack down and make an example out of someone?

Suggesting it's hypocritical for the NHL to hand out a big suspension is ludicrous - it's perpetuating a broken system for the sake of obeying an illogical precedent.

Old
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
If the Orpik hit is dirty, then I don't see how this isn't.

Old
10-27-2007, 06:27 PM
Flyersguru

Quote:
A new bar has been set though when it comes to borderline hits. 20+ games wouldn't surprise me in the least.

FWIW I didn't think Downey deserved more than 5 for his shot based on precendent.
No, a new standard has been set for "Headshots."

Old
10-27-2007, 06:28 PM
JMiller

Quote:
If it was someone not wearing a Flyers jersey, it would be all quiet here. If the Bruins thought it was so bad, they would of went after the Flyers.
You couldn't be more wrong about everything you've posted so far.

Old
SammyTheBull

vCash: 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidrage View Post
And it should get 20+ games right?

Just like this one got 20+ games right?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhtMzqYoqcg
Booth turned into it just like Foligno did.

Old
JMiller

Quote:
No, a new standard has been set for "Headshots."
I spoke too soon, now you couldn't be more wrong about everything you've posted so far.

Old
10-27-2007, 06:29 PM
Flyersguru

Quote:
You couldn't be more wrong about everything you've posted so far.
Riiiiight...

Old
10-27-2007, 06:30 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
Players are in a way responsible for each others health on the ice. It is a very hard balance to achieve though, because we also want physical play.

Personally I would ban all hits to the head. Even if they are of the Scott Stevens kind where they are clean, but clearly very malicious.

I don't think Jones was out to injure. He proably expected Bergeron to brace himself so Jones could nail him against the board. But Bergeron didn't brace himself and it turned into a dangerous play. It was definately a suspension worthy play because he his the player in the back when in a very vulnerable position. That is exactly in those situations you are responsible for the safety of your opponent.

Old
10-27-2007, 06:30 PM
Tripwyre

Quote:
If it was someone not wearing a Flyers jersey, it would be all quiet here.
But of course that it is someone wearing a Flyers jersey (AGAIN), is just some whacky coincidence, eh?

Old
10-27-2007, 06:31 PM
Flyersguru

Quote:
I spoke too soon, now you couldn't be more wrong about everything you've posted so far.
You really need to read more. The league is out to stop "blows to the head." Downie + Jesse = blow to the head.

Old
crazycanuck

I don't think Jones meant to hurt Bergeron, but the hit was not needed in this situation. All Jones needed to do was pin him to the boards. Should be a 5-10 game suspension, leaning more towards the 5 game mark because I don't think Jones meant to hurt Bergeron.
At this point though, the NHL needs to send a message to the Flyers, get control of your team. From my experience coaching different sports and being a part of teams, for the most part, a team will reflect the coach. With 3 very bad incidents by the Flyers this season, the NHL needs to take action and discipline the team. If anything to give more fuel for the Flyers or whatever team is in question to say to the players, if you cross the line, there will not only be league consequences to you, but the team will take action against you as well. Hopefully that will deter more of this from happening.

Last edited by crazycanuck: 10-27-2007 at 06:34 PM. Reason: adding in missing part of post
Old
JMiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkside Cowboy View Post
This isn't even close to the downie hit. No clear intent to injure, and although Bergeron's head banged into the boards, it wasn't a head hit per se.
Running a player from behind is just as much an intent to injure as lineing someone up from infront. The only difference is using the boards vs. using the shoulder.

FWIW I know Jones isn't a dirty player. But if the league is serious about punishing dangerous play, this sort of thing is just as dangerous as what downey tried to do. More even.

Old
10-27-2007, 06:32 PM
SuperUnknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck5056 View Post
For everyone using the "these hits happen all the time, only difference was Bergeron got hurt" defense, how in the HELL are these hits ever going to stop if the NHL doesn't crack down and make an example out of someone?

Suggesting it's hypocritical for the NHL to hand out a big suspension is ludicrous - it's perpetuating a broken system for the sake of obeying an illogical precedent.
These hits will never stop unless you take out hitting and intensity from the game. Simply put, things happen in the middle of action, it's not like players can ponder on which action to take next forever. Jones probably hoped Bergeron would hit the boards sideways, leaving no injury and getting no penalty at all. Of course this isn't what happened, but that's a split second there.

Old
10-27-2007, 06:32 PM
TOCxNJ

really ****** that this happend, very happy though that it sounds like bergeron is going to be ok.

THAT being said....everyone putting the flyers down for this is a complete idiot. there was absolutely no intent by jones to do this. it could have been done by ANYONE. it was in no way intentional and it just happend to play out that way. some of you people are so quick to put down any team other than your own.

obviously the hit was bad and he deserved to get thrown out of the game, but suspension? are you kidding me?!?!?!? watch it in slow motion, it looked like bergeron was going to turn and ANY ANY ANY defenseman would have followed through to make that hit. i honestly cant believe what some of you are saying.

bottom line, not intentional, and an unfortunate result....very glad that bergeron is ok though.

Old
10-27-2007, 06:33 PM
dafoomie
Eat Mor Chikin

Send a message via AIM to dafoomie
Quote:
Chuck Kobasew did go after Jones. The linesmen broke it up.

A brawl would not have been wise with Bergeron seriously injured by the boards, it would not have helped his situation. And after Jones was thrown out, there was no one to go after.

The league has been trying to get hits from behind out of the game for much longer than they have hits directly to the head. This is exactly why. This is MORE dangerous than a hit directly to the head.

Old
10-27-2007, 06:33 PM
Colt.45Orr

Quote:
I never said I was at the game, I saw it live on TV. 57'' tv's give great views.

Do you know what it means to see it live? It means as something happens.
You are so dense I really am going ignore most of your crap and try to post small simple words so you can unders... errr, I mean 'get' what i am typing.

1) The Bruins would have (and did) go after Jones, however he was tossed from the game. The rematch will be hell for the Flyers (Chara will Koci someone) but they had the wind knocked out of them after that and didn't look like they cared too much about the game until the 3rd.

2) Jones can admit that the hit was dirty yet you cannot? Get a clue bud.

3) Jones is a clean player usually -- I couldn't agree more.... I don't think he should get 20-40 or whatever people are calling for here. Regardless, the fact that he would play way over the line like this just reinforces the theory that in the effort to bring back the Broad Street Bullies the players have been pushed to play at a level that goes over the line.

3) Management IS accountable (sorry, big word) for the team they ice. For a team who is resting their hopes a tiny little Centre I would think you would want more accountability throughout the league.

Old
10-27-2007, 06:35 PM
nanuuq
HFBoards Sponsor

Boarding is Boarding.
Throwing a player violently into the boards causing head
injury is a suspendable event.

Read rule 42 or the NHL rulebook.

This has nothing to do with head shots.

It is up to a player to *NOT* hit a vulnerable player into the
boards. A player DOES have to make a reasonable effort
to protect oneself, but in this case I dont think he had time.

Old
10-27-2007, 06:36 PM
Lupul*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt.45Orr View Post
1) The rematch will be hell for the Flyers (Chara will Koci someone)
Make sure he doesn't turn it over at the blue line

Old
10-27-2007, 06:37 PM
TOCxNJ

Quote:
Running a player from behind is just as much an intent to injure as lineing someone up from infront. The only difference is using the boards vs. using the shoulder.

FWIW I know Jones isn't a dirty player. But if the league is serious about punishing dangerous play, this sort of thing is just as dangerous as what downey tried to do. More even.
you're being a ***** dude. you cant be serious.

"running a player from behind".....yea jones really had intent to injure

Closed Thread