HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Randy Jones hit on Patrice Bergeron [Youtube at post #158]

Closed Thread

Old
10-27-2007, 08:12 PM
JMiller

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refuse View Post
You know that if it was Stuart who'd laid out Briere Flyers fans would ask for Stuarts head, it wouldn't be "Briere should've known better" or some other crap. Dirty hit. Dangerous play, but bottomline : NO RESPECT. This is a case for the NHLPA, and the NHL must let players police themselves more, no one should DARE doing this to other teams stars. they should be afraid of being marked men.
The difference though is that Stuart hasn't done that. No need in suggesting he would. It was a stupid and dangerous play by Jones.

Old
10-27-2007, 08:14 PM
COMCASTMONEY
pay ya cable bills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refuse View Post
You know that if it was Stuart who'd laid out Briere Flyers fans would ask for Stuarts head, it wouldn't be "Briere should've known better" or some other crap. Dirty hit. Dangerous play, but bottomline : NO RESPECT. The NHL must let players police themselves more, no one should DARE doing this to other teams' stars. they should be afraid of being marked men.
And rightly so, it was an illegal hit by Jones. But as I said: Bergeron got hit like that because he did something that will get you hurt in the NHL. It's like walking through Camden at 1 AM in a $3,000 Italian suit. The guy who mugs you committed a crime and should be punished, but to say you didn't put yourself in that situation would be absurd.

Old
10-27-2007, 08:15 PM
SPV
Zoinks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Injektilo View Post
"Officer, that girl shouldn't have worn such a short skirt."
Ha Ha, this is exactly what I thought of when I read that comment.

I think everybody should be expecting to have Bruins fans overreacting at this point, and should take that as such. I have calmed a bit now, but if I was at the game and some ass hole tried to defend Jones like is being here, I might have busted something over his head, and then gone to work on him.

That said, I do think it was a borderline hit, he certainly should have expected Bergeron to be a big vulnerable and should have tried to pin him instead of leading with the shoulder. But it wasn't completely dirty, and I don't think it will be as big a suspension as others are calling for. I'd vote 10 games.

I DO think that something has to be said to the Flyers organization though, three incidents in this short of a span is showing a precedent.

Old
10-27-2007, 08:27 PM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
don cherry just hit it right on the head, you can't go into the corners like that, enough said
Blame the victim, nice.

Old
10-27-2007, 08:30 PM
*Injektilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Hate View Post
No. Play some hockey, figure it out.
I play with a sweater that has the "Stop" sign on the back above the numbers. I'm sure that makes me a *****, or something.

Old
10-27-2007, 08:34 PM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

It's pretty simple: if you see the numbers, DON'T HIT THEM

Whether he went into the corner wrong or not doesn't matter, Jones finished his check when he shouldn't have.

Old
10-27-2007, 08:38 PM
AndersEriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hekic42 View Post
Blame the victim, nice.
He's a victim because of the reasons pointed out by Cherry.

Here's hoping for a full and speedy recovery.

Old
10-27-2007, 08:43 PM
Canucks5551

Very irresponsible hit by Jones, although it wasn't as vicious as the Downie or Boulerice hits. With the new standards on suspensions, this should get about 10 games.

Old
10-27-2007, 08:45 PM
usual suspects

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
don cherry just hit it right on the head, you can't go into the corners like that, enough said
another "because Don Cherry said so". Come on form your own opinion. All players should protect themselves to some extend I agree but in no way do you blame Bergeron for this hit. Jones threw the hit let's not lose sight of that.

Total ignorance for anyone to say something like that.

Old
10-27-2007, 08:47 PM
COMCASTMONEY
pay ya cable bills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan2000 View Post
another "because Don Cherry said so". Come on form your own opinion. All players should protect themselves to some extend I agree but in no way do you blame Bergeron for this hit. Jones threw the hit let's not lose sight of that.

Total ignorance for anyone to say something like that.
No, my friend, it isn't blame. It's how this is preventable. We're not blaming the victim, we're explaining why he's the victim.

Old
10-27-2007, 08:49 PM
CaptBrannigan

Isn't "Don Cherry said so" more evidence for the opposite of whatever he says? He's nothing more than a useless blowhard.

Hope Bergeron recovers completely, and quickly. PCS is probably going to be something we see here. As for Jones, 5 games maybe? This unfortunate incident didn't seem to have the 'intent to injure' factor.

Old
10-27-2007, 08:54 PM
MikeC44

I don't think Jones will get a big suspension - maybe 2-5 games.
Yes, it was an illegal hit. He checked him from behind. But I honestly don't think Jones expected Bergeron's feet to be so 'dug in'. I don't think Bergeron expected his own feet to be that dug in. IMO, Bergeron knew the hit was coming, but I also think they were both expecting for the hit to almost 'push' Bergeron's entire body into the boards, still upright. Either that or Bergeron didn't think Jones' hit was going to be as powerful as it turned out to be, and thought he would be able to stand it up or spin off it.

BUT, that's why you don't check people from behind, because of ALL of the potential outcomes.

Last edited by MikeC44: 10-27-2007 at 09:14 PM.
Old
10-27-2007, 09:05 PM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

Here's Randy.

Last edited by Vikke: 02-17-2011 at 04:04 PM.
Old
10-27-2007, 09:08 PM
UvBnDatsyuked

Quote:
No, my friend, it isn't blame. It's how this is preventable. We're not blaming the victim, we're explaining why he's the victim.
Thanks Don Cherry and Doctor Hate for explaining it. Don Cherry is a joke and guess what you are. Your avatar says it all. Your not objective and your opinion is useless

Old
10-27-2007, 09:11 PM
usual suspects

Quote:
Quote:
yes my friend, i certainly will not doubt that a player can help his cause by positioning himself better. Regardless he was hit from behind ,period. If you argue that a player should prevent himself from getting hit from behind then the opposing player can make adjustments too so that he can avoid dishing out that type of hit. Jones could have avoided landing that hit.

I don't think Jones meant to hurt Bergeron and I still don't consider him a dirty player but he did throw a dirty check regardless of Bergeron's positioning. The play could have been avoided. And could have been avoided by not checking from behind which Jones could have.

Alot of us on these boards have played hockey, I played and was a defenseman. I was always mindful when I was out there and I once hit someone from behind as it can happen. Luckily, the player was not hurt and finished the game. But, in no way did I say "wait a minute you shouldn't have been facing the boards like that, its your fault" and neither did my coach or teamates. It was mine and mine only as I knew the position the other player was in just as Jones did today even though I am 100% certain he did not fathom what the outcome would be.

Old
10-27-2007, 09:14 PM
Armond White
Go Sabres!

Give him 30 games.

Old
10-27-2007, 09:22 PM
MountainHawk

I was at the game, 8 rows from the incident. All the Bruins fans near me agreed with my assessment. It was a very ill-timed hit, and it was from behind so it was clearly a major (though it should have been checking from behind, not boarding, they were going stride for stride until Bergeron stopped). Bergeron may have lost an edge a little bit there, players fell going into that corner several times tonight.

It's not a severe suspension, though, and most of the fans around me agreed. 1-2 games for checking from behind, and move on. It's a violent sport, and people are going to get hurt. There was no intent to injure ... even the Bruins knew it because they didn't go after Jones in any major way (the roughing call was a weak one, imo).

Old
10-27-2007, 09:23 PM
Flyers Fan Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheektovanek View Post
Give him 30 games.
Give him death!

Old
10-27-2007, 09:25 PM
STA

The intent wasn't there IMO.

Bergeron will live, it'll be alright...

1 game is more than enough.

Old
10-27-2007, 09:36 PM
Tripwyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Fan Forever View Post
Give him death!
Give him nothing! Take from him...everything.

Old
10-27-2007, 09:56 PM
*Injektilo

Quote:
Because Jones just had to drive him into the boards. He obviously had no choice in the matter.

Old
10-27-2007, 10:06 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

I feel terrible for Bergeron. I like him as a player and I have him in a number of hockey pools.

However, I don't really have much sympathy for Boston fans. I've seen threads over there where they wish the same type of thing would happen to Habs players all the time, not to mention how some of them still talk about the McLeran hit on Zednik a few years ago with glee...Some even have it as their avatar.

Sucks when it happens to your own players.

waffledave
Old
10-27-2007, 10:11 PM
Timmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikke View Post
Here's Randy.

I don't think those new Flyers jerseys look too tight at all.

*runs away*

Old
10-27-2007, 10:13 PM
caseygraves
Don Cherry apologist

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by twi View Post
Isn't "Don Cherry said so" more evidence for the opposite of whatever he says? He's nothing more than a useless blowhard.
No, not at all. Cherry is talking to the kids in Canada. So he is telling THEM not to go in the corners like that. It's the same thing that most coaches in the developmental stages of Canadian hockey are telling their kids. So if you call him a blowhard your are calling all of these concerned coaches blowhards. That is a sweeping generalization and really ignorant.

Listen, Jones just hit him harder than he should have. That's all. In that situation your just supposed to put your hip into the player and keep him there not drive him into the boards.

it's not a dirty hit, just harder than was needed, that's all. You can't blame Jones for it either, because it was in the heat of the moment, and intellect sometimes gives way to reaction in that case.

Old
10-27-2007, 10:16 PM
jared37

anyone know aproximatly how long he is supposed to be out?

Closed Thread