HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Torres for real?

Closed Thread

Old
01-13-2004, 06:27 PM
Samsonites

vCash: 500
Is Torres for real?

How good of a talent is Torres? I never saw him play but am wondering is he just a "one season wonder" and will fade away next season or do you see him improving statistically? I see him as a max 60pts player at the peak of his carreer. Any thoughts?

Old
01-13-2004, 06:37 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsonites
How good of a talent is Torres? I never saw him play but am wondering is he just a "one season wonder" and will fade away next season or do you see him improving statistically? I see him as a max 60pts player at the peak of his carreer. Any thoughts?
It'd be awesome if Torres could be a regular 60 point guy.

He has a really solid nose for the net, and could probably be a regular 20-25 goal scorer... plus he plays a very physical game, and may end up being a bit of an under-sized power forward.

Old
01-13-2004, 06:39 PM
woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsonites
I would say he is a cross between Pat Verbeek and Brendan Shanahan. As long as he play's on the top two lines I could see him as a 60 point player.

Old
01-13-2004, 07:05 PM
Lowetide

Well, we knew he was a Tazmanian Devil, but if he can score 20+ a season then imo the Oilers have an impact forward. He isn't as consistent as he'll need to be, but neither is Hemsky or Brewer.

Already one of the Oilers' most valuable assets. 13 goals by mid-January. Impressive.

Old
01-13-2004, 07:32 PM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

actually, today was one of the first few times where we saw glimpses of the tasmanian devil. During the offseason, we were expecting him to be a disturber, hitting everything in his path. Well, he hasn't shown that on a consistent basis yet but on the other hand, who would've expected him to score 20-25 goals (if he keeps this up)?

Torres has been a pleasant surprise so far and if he can get the hitting element back into his game he'd be a valuable contributor to the Oilers.

Old
01-13-2004, 08:46 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

I'm still trying to figure out who the guy was wearing #14 in the pre-season, because it sure wasn't this Raffi Torres.

Old
01-13-2004, 08:51 PM
Cerebral

I'll personally be thrilled if he can turn into a 25-30 type of player that can throw the body around.. he is looking very good so far this season and there is no reason to be believe he won't turn into that type of player!

Old
01-14-2004, 12:54 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

hes a 5th overall pick, so he is obviously capable of doing more than just hit, good checkers dont go 5th overall. hes got decent hands, decent finish, just an all around good player who likes to hurt people.

Old
01-14-2004, 01:01 PM
Digger12

Here's a question...if you could trade Torres for Niinimaa straight up, would you do it?

It'd be a tough choice, but I'd keep Torres.

Old
01-14-2004, 01:06 PM
vb

I think he's the same type of player as Brendan Morrow. Just the type of guy you don't want to play against and a nose for the net to boot. 60 pts may be a bit too high, but he goes to the net.

Old
01-14-2004, 01:45 PM
copperandblue

I will probably get laughed at for suggesting this but;

He reminds me of Bill Guerin. I am not talking in terms of the Guerin we see today but the guy who was 22 and breaking in with Jersey.

Their numbers at 22 yrs old are very comparable when projected out.

They both play an agressive (but not really agitating) style that depend heavily on taking the body.

They are both play tough and yet only really scrap on occasion.

They both depend on their opportunites within 20' of the crease.

They both play simple North - South hockey. Not much for dipsy doodling but at the same time they aren't afraid of handling the puck.

Now, will in ten years Torres be scoring 40 goals a year?
Who knows. But with some development and maturity I think 30 goals from the kid is realistic in a couple years.

Old
01-14-2004, 02:27 PM
Fan-of-#9

I just wanted to say that I grew up in the same hometown as Raffi and we have many mutual friends, I wouldn't call him a friend but he's a good acquintance. One thing that I like about Raffi is that when I see him at the bar on occasion he's very level headed and hasn't changed one bit. In the summer I told him that I was going to take him in my fantasy league...he told me to wait a few years damnit!

Raffi was always a dominant soccer player actually, he killed us in every championship game as kids. I guess he's just a very talented guy. I think Raffi has a very bright future in this league, mainly because he is always looking how he can improve his game. Have you seen how much he has bulked up since he was drefted? Unbelievable.

Old
01-14-2004, 02:43 PM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
Here's a question...if you could trade Torres for Niinimaa straight up, would you do it?

I would do it.......even if I had to throw in Isbister......

Old
01-14-2004, 04:52 PM
Freudian slips

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue
I will probably get laughed at for suggesting this but;

He reminds me of Bill Guerin. I am not talking in terms of the Guerin we see today but the guy who was 22 and breaking in with Jersey.

Their numbers at 22 yrs old are very comparable when projected out.

They both play an agressive (but not really agitating) style that depend heavily on taking the body.

They are both play tough and yet only really scrap on occasion.

They both depend on their opportunites within 20' of the crease.

They both play simple North - South hockey. Not much for dipsy doodling but at the same time they aren't afraid of handling the puck.

Now, will in ten years Torres be scoring 40 goals a year?
Who knows. But with some development and maturity I think 30 goals from the kid is realistic in a couple years.
good analagy...I agree with this comparison....I kinda hope we have a 30+ goal scorer on our hands for the next few years!!

Old
01-14-2004, 05:19 PM
jadeddog

while i, like everybody, like what ive seen from torres.... lets not start expecting too much from him.... or we might have another case of "hemsky fever" on this board next preseason, where lots of people think hes gonna light it up and then when he does "only" good and not *great*, people jump all over him..... we have to let these kids mature at their own pace and not expect the world from them

Old
01-14-2004, 05:25 PM
Bohologo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowzie
hes a 5th overall pick, so he is obviously capable of doing more than just hit, good checkers dont go 5th overall.
Mike Ricci went 4th in 1990, didn't he? His offensive upside never really panned out the way some thought it might. Still, I'd be happy to see Torres hit 25-25 and really, really vex the opposition every season. This club still needs a pain in the ass. (You know, besides the special teams...)

Old
01-14-2004, 05:45 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohologo
Mike Ricci went 4th in 1990, didn't he? His offensive upside never really panned out the way some thought it might. Still, I'd be happy to see Torres hit 25-25 and really, really vex the opposition every season. This club still needs a pain in the ass. (You know, besides the special teams...)
Early in his career, Ricci definitely looked like a scoring talent...his first 3 years in the NHL consisted of 41, 56, and 78 point seasons respectively.

Funnily enough, once the team moved from Quebec to Colorado his stats went downhill and haven't been the same since. Still, he did break the 20 goal barrier 6 times. If Raffi can do that, I wouldn't turn my nose up at it.

Old
01-14-2004, 07:41 PM
Mizral

Reminds me a bit of a rookie Mark Parrish. I think Torres can be a 2nd/3rd liner for years in this league.

Old
01-15-2004, 05:29 AM
copperandblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog
where lots of people think hes gonna light it up and then when he does "only" good and not *great*, people jump all over him..... we have to let these kids mature at their own pace and not expect the world from them
That's the key.

We tend to be an impatient bunch when it comes to developing talent, I guess it comes with always having to watch a team of very young, very green players coming through the system.

I tend to look around the league at some of the older players (not real old but guys like Weight, Guerin, Sundin, Tkachuk...) that have become players that every team seems to covet or at the very least we here seem to covet and try to recall what these guys were like when they were as young as the players the Oilers have.

Looking back, most players start off as "potential" and very few start off like a Forsberg who are basically stars from the moment they step on the ice. So with that in mind, I don't think it's all that crazy to anticipate that some of the "potentially" good or even very good players of tomorrow are developing right now.

That may include guys like Hemsky and Torres. I realize that there are no guarantees that things will pan out that way, but the future upper-echelon of the NHL has to come from somewhere and it isn't just simply from guys like Kovalchuk and Heatly.

The crux of the whole thing is that the developing star talent will take time and fans here tend to want it right now.

Old
01-15-2004, 06:26 AM
Marconius

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
It'd be awesome if Torres could be a regular 60 point guy.

He has a really solid nose for the net, and could probably be a regular 20-25 goal scorer... plus he plays a very physical game, and may end up being a bit of an under-sized power forward.
I'd say that this season has kinda surprised a lot of us. Torres isn't playing the agitator/physical role as much as we all thought, but he's definitely shown a penchant for finishing his chances.
At the risk of sounding ludicrous, I'd say he is one of the closer players we have to be ing a one shot scorer...

Old
01-15-2004, 06:27 AM
Marconius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12

I agree, mainly for age/injury reasons. If my team was making a run at the cup this year, I'd probably take Janne back tough

Old
01-15-2004, 06:50 AM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconius
At the risk of sounding ludicrous, I'd say he is one of the closer players we have to be ing a one shot scorer...
I don't think it's that ludicrous...he's 2nd on the team in goals scored, 20th on his team in overall ice time/game (12:08) and 15th in PP ice time/game (1:17). That's tremendous production given what relatively little ice time he sees.

He's averaged 1 goal for every 44:32 of total ice time. Jason Chimera, last year' poster boy for production given limited opportunity, averaged 1 goal for every 50:43.

He doesn't have a cannon for a shot, but when he gets a chance to bury the puck he seldom wastes the opportunity. Being with York and Dvo doesn't hurt either.

Closed Thread