HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Playoff Positioning

Closed Thread

Old
01-14-2004, 11:38 AM
Carbonneau

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Carbonneau Send a message via Yahoo to Carbonneau
Playoff Positioning

In my opinon the Habs would be better off trying to settle in at 6th in the Eastern Conference. This would allow us to play the winner of the SouthEast division.

If we end up in 5th then well end up playing on the road against teams like NJ, OTT, PHIL or TOR, depending on where everyone finishes.

Of course I'd love for the Habs to grag the division or 4th place.

I'd just like to know how everyone feels on certain playoff senarios??

Old
01-14-2004, 11:39 AM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Just make the playoff would be great

Old
01-14-2004, 11:41 AM
LPHabsFan

Send a message via AIM to LPHabsFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonneau
In my opinon the Habs would be better off trying to settle in at 6th in the Eastern Conference. This would allow us to play the winner of the SouthEast division.

If we end up in 5th then well end up playing on the road against teams like NJ, OTT, PHIL or TOR, depending on where everyone finishes.

Of course I'd love for the Habs to grag the division or 4th place.

I'd just like to know how everyone feels on certain playoff senarios??
4th and 5th positions are the worst because those are the two spots where the teams are very evenly matched. The best spots are obviously 1, 2, 3, and 6. 1,2,3 is obvious because it means that team won the division and 6 is usually the team that plays the winner of the southeast which is usually and easy team to beat.

Old
01-14-2004, 12:37 PM
Joe Maximum

I think 5th is actually out of reach. Ottawa Toronto New Jersey Philly + winner of southeast are IMHO locks for top 5

Old
01-14-2004, 12:49 PM
Zednik

Exactly. Stop dreaming guys, we won't finish 5th ! I'll be happy if the Habs finish 8th...

Old
01-14-2004, 01:34 PM
sandman08

as of today 8 points differentiates first from 7th in the eastern conference which is by no means a lost cause and not capable for the boys to attain
given the goaltending and if they can keep up something resembling good scoring (im not expecting the 8's here.. i mean good scoring #s and lets not forget that st. louis is a good defensive team and we put up 5 on them) we can win quite a few games and have a legitimate shot at first

Old
01-14-2004, 04:19 PM
Kerberos*

Send a message via ICQ to   Kerberos* Send a message via MSN to   Kerberos*
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman08
as of today 8 points differentiates first from 7th in the eastern conference which is by no means a lost cause and not capable for the boys to attain
given the goaltending and if they can keep up something resembling good scoring (im not expecting the 8's here.. i mean good scoring #s and lets not forget that st. louis is a good defensive team and we put up 5 on them) we can win quite a few games and have a legitimate shot at first
Don't get too worked up: the habs' hot streak won't last too long.

Old
01-14-2004, 04:22 PM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerberos
I disagree I don't think it's just a "hot" streak, I think that this team is for real. I'm not saying that we are going to finish first or anything but I do think that we can compete everynight against any team.

Old
01-14-2004, 04:22 PM
RE-HABS

Just make the playoffs, the top seed can be eliminated from the playoffs as easily as the lowest seed. Positioning and home ice mean sqwat now a days.

Old
01-14-2004, 04:23 PM
Medicine Twin

I'd like to see the Habs end up in 6th but you can't play for a certain position. You have to try to win every game regardless or you'll find yourself out of the playoffs altogether.

Old
01-14-2004, 05:40 PM
BLONG7

We are currently in a good position to make the playoffs, and where we finish... well as long as we make one of the top 8 then I'll be very happy... what happens after that who knows? I think it's too early to look at the matchups, teams go in slumps and positioning at this point is way up in the air. Let's be glad we are in 7th and climbing and not like the past few years when we were 9-10th and trying to squeak in!

Old
01-15-2004, 12:12 AM
Bud The Spud*

Send a message via MSN to Bud The Spud*
I'm just happy with their play lately. Positioning is not very important to me just as long as they make it to the playoffs

Old
01-15-2004, 03:57 AM
Bob Bastards

Make the playoff and kick a$$ later. I remember 2 year ago, we just make the playoff and we beat the Bruins, who was on top for the east... I suppose I am not the only one to remember this one...

Old
01-15-2004, 04:32 AM
jojo

Let's not go overboard with enthusiasm and jinx the whole thing. We'll be happy if they make the playoffs.

By the way, did anyone else notice the horrible schedule of the Habs in march and April? These last 16 games include 3 against New Jersey, games against Toronto, Ottawa, Philly, Colorado plus a grueling 4 games in 6 nights on the west coast.

Oops, did I just jinx them by pointing this out?

Old
01-15-2004, 04:49 AM
mcphee

I always figured that when they drop the puck you should try and win the game. I wouldn't mind avoiding Ottawa in the first round though. You have to think that this is the last chance they have with that group. Anything less than the finals and there'll be changes, top and bottom.

Old
01-15-2004, 04:52 AM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS
Just make the playoffs, the top seed can be eliminated from the playoffs as easily as the lowest seed. Positioning and home ice mean sqwat now a days.

YUP! Just make the playoffs and take it from there.

Truthfully, I don't care if we draw Toronto, Philly, Ottawa, New Jersey, whoever.
If Theodore plays his A+ game, the defense plays solid and we can get some timely goals we can beat anybody in the East.

Old
01-15-2004, 05:00 AM
Habber

As someone mentioned before, positioning doesn't mean squat. Every team that makes the playoffs is going to be good and every series in the East could go either way.

We're going to face a very strong team and have a tough series no matter who we face (assuming we make the playoffs).

Old
01-15-2004, 11:43 AM
sandman08

Quote:
oh i know dont worry lol
im not worked up about it, just pointing out to the folks who seem to feel that we CANT get into the top 4 AT ALL .. which is a pile of horse manure.. lol.. anythings possible

and as for being top 4 vs just in the playoffs.. i myself would rather we get more than 2 (maybe 3) home games in the playoffs.. obviously given the choice of playoffs w/ 5-8 seed or no playoffs i'd take 8th if i had to but in terms of increasing revenue and possibly having MORE to spend on players (although the CBA deal is sure to **** that logic up) is always nice

Old
01-15-2004, 12:05 PM
JOHNNY V

Quote:

:p

Old
01-15-2004, 12:36 PM
JOHNNY V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
YUP! Just make the playoffs and take it from there.

Truthfully, I don't care if we draw Toronto, Philly, Ottawa, New Jersey, whoever.
If Theodore plays his A+ game, the defense plays solid and we can get some timely goals we can beat anybody in the East.

Ya like you beat CAROLINA 2 years ago...

Old
01-15-2004, 12:55 PM
DJyellow

Send a message via ICQ to DJyellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNY V
Ya like you beat CAROLINA 2 years ago...
No, like when we beat Boston 2 years ago...

Closed Thread