HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ovechkin Signs Extension Confirmed 13 years/124 mil

Closed Thread

Old
10-29-2007, 12:43 PM
Langway
Flow➜Grow

vCash: 50
Ovechkin Signs Extension Confirmed 13 years/124 mil

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/capit...ct_briefl.html

Quote:
"I want to be here a long time," he said. "I don't like change of place. But you never know. You can sign contract right now and the next day you are traded. It's the NHL."

He added: "I want to be here. I like the organization. I like the fans."

Asked whether he expects to sign an extension soon, Ovechkin smiled and said: "Ask George." So I did. McPhee politely declined comment, as he always does on contract negotations.

It doesn't sound like hard numbers are being exchanged. Yet, anyway.

Asked whether talks have turned serious, Ovechkin said: "Not yet. But we have a lot of time. Anything can happen. We'll see."
Great to hear. He's been an absolute monster so far this season. His defensive game is maturing nicely and he's handled the defensive responsibilities of playing the point on the PP well lately.

Last edited by Langway: 11-11-2007 at 11:26 AM.
Old
10-29-2007, 01:06 PM
usiel

vCash: 878
Send a message via MSN to usiel
I really like how AO's game has improved this season. He is a man amoung boys out there at times. Really glad to see the defensive side of the game improve as well as passing more to teamates in the offensive zone. He's a beast.

10-29-2007, 01:10 PM
Wayland

vCash: 500
Game in, game out. He has brought it. Throw in a no-trade clause and never let him leave.

Old
10-29-2007, 01:50 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland View Post
Game in, game out. He has brought it. Throw in a no-trade clause and never let him leave.

Maybe next contract. A team should NEVER handcuff itself if even you have a guy like Ovechkin.

Old
10-29-2007, 01:52 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
I really like how AO's game has improved this season. He is a man amoung boys out there at times. Really glad to see the defensive side of the game improve as well as passing more to teamates in the offensive zone. He's a beast.

Agreed....at the Canucks game, we were sitting next to about 6 out of town Vancouver fans and it was great to hear them gushing over Ovechkin and how good he looked. Great to hear the out of town perspective.

Old
10-29-2007, 01:55 PM
txpd

Alexander Ovechkin is a lifer. You know who he is. He is a family boy first and foremost. He is the happy personality and the uber prepared professional because that is how his parent raised him. His daddy in the room is Olie Kolzig who he greatly respects and admires. Olie is a lifer. Olie consistantly speaks to the value of loyality and consistancy and the true value of being a rare professional sports lifer.

I bet by now OV has met and spoken with Cal Ripken and Darrell Green. Two reverred local lifers.

OV will get his contract and will someday get his building full of admiring fans.

By the way....not to turn this into that thing, but notice that Crosby is not getting last season's early season points lead on OV. OV is a point per game player til December 1, when he hits the afterburners. If this season is like the last two, look out!

Old
10-29-2007, 04:10 PM
Avy*

Alexander Ovechkin is not a smart person. He could stuck in Washington forever like Kovalchuk in Atlanta. Alexander Ovechkin face a risk to play with Morzko's for entire career.

Old
10-29-2007, 04:11 PM
Backstrom #19
Trotz for president

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avy View Post
Alexander Ovechkin is not a smart person. He could stuck in Washington forever like Kovalchuk in Atlanta. Alexander Ovechkin face a risk to play with Morzko's for entire career.

You're not a smart person.

Ovechkin doesn't play with Motzko any more.

Old
10-29-2007, 04:54 PM
TempusFugit

Quote:
Alexander Ovechkin is not a smart person.
Say instead:

Alexander Ovechkin is not an opportunist

Alexander Ovechkin is not a mercenary

Alexander Ovechkin is not a greedy, spoiled athlete

I think you'd be alone in the hockey universe with the assessment that he's not smart

Old
10-29-2007, 05:04 PM
txpd

Quote:
Ok...I'll bite. Where you would prefer he play?

Old
10-29-2007, 05:11 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanwon View Post
Maybe next contract. A team should NEVER handcuff itself if even you have a guy like Ovechkin.
If he wants one, he should get one. What else can he do for the organization?

Semin, on the other hand I'd move for the right deal in a heart beat.

Old
10-29-2007, 09:22 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post

I don't see the Caps offering it on this contract UNLESS he's giving something up like years into RFA and $$.

Old
10-29-2007, 09:24 PM
czm*

Quote:
Go run across a freeway.

Old
10-29-2007, 09:30 PM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post

We can't give him a NTC until he enters his UFA years. It's in the CBA, FWIW.

LOL, FTW! QFT.

Old
10-29-2007, 09:32 PM
Wayland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
We can't give him a NTC until he enters his UFA years. It's in the CBA, FWIW.

LOL, FTW! .
I haven't read the CBA since right after the lockout.

Old
10-29-2007, 09:38 PM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland View Post
I haven't read the CBA since right after the lockout.
It's actually a very interesting document in some places.

Old
10-29-2007, 10:38 PM
The Viking Fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
It's actually a very interesting document in some places.
Any erotic love scenes?

Old
10-29-2007, 11:38 PM
Devil Dancer

Ovechkin has been SO much better this year. His offseason training program obviously made a huge difference, and I have to give credit to Hanlon (who I have bashed plenty this year) for fine tuning AO's game.

He's an amazing talent, he seems like a genuinely good guy, and he's just a pleasure to root for.

Old
10-29-2007, 11:55 PM
hockeyfan125
HFB Partner

didn't he play with a nagging knee injury most of last season?

Old
10-30-2007, 12:16 AM
FDBluth

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
In the few times that I've seen Ovechkin play so far this season, I've been quite impressed by how much his overall offensive game has improved. He seems to be seeing the ice much better this year.

Old
10-30-2007, 03:38 AM
Avy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
Ok...I'll bite. Where you would prefer he play?
He can became a semigod in Toronto and rack up points on uber-offensive team, he can play with great players and win a cup in Dteroit he can... and instead of this... Washington, Motzko, Poti, 52 fans and no chance to win Cup or individual award.

Old
10-30-2007, 03:57 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
He can became a semigod in Toronto and rack up points on uber-offensive team, he can play with great players and win a cup in Dteroit he can... and instead of this... Washington, Motzko, Poti, 52 fans and no chance to win Cup or individual award.
Wow.

I've never seen such a inflamatory post written in such a matter-of-fact manner.

I'd get the hell outta DOdge if I were you mate, I'm thinking guys here are forming a posse. Rightly so.

(also, you do realize Caps just hammered Toronto 7-1? the team you want him to be a demigod on and rack up points?)

Old
10-30-2007, 06:21 AM
Backstrom #19
Trotz for president

Quote:

Why would he play in Toronto when the Caps just beat Toronto 7-1.

Old
10-30-2007, 06:45 AM
txpd

Quote:
LOL...you are funny. He may be a semigod in TO right now, but you know they turn on their own best players all the time. He is not one of those right now and so he is easy for them to love.

I am also thinking that the Washington Capitals have been as far as the Stanley Cup finals more recently than have the Toronto Maple Leafs. I also don't think the Leafs have won the Stanley Cup even once since the Capitals have even been in the NHL.
Are you sure that he is more likely to win a cup in TO? The evidence does not really indicate that.

I could be forgetting somebody, but noone in Toronto has won a major individual award since Olie Kolzig was the Vezina Trophy. The Vezina counts right? I mean as a major individual award? The Calder Trophy for rookie of the year is generally accepted as a major individual award and I don't think anyone in Toronto has won that since Ovechkin won that in Washi.....oh...wait.

Motzko was an injury fill in. Toronto has guys like that on their NHL roster right now. Poti is a pretty decent player.
I believe that Ovechkin's linemate Kozlov is one of OV's favorite players and his teammate Semin is his best friend. Those guys are in Washington, not Toronto.

Lastly, if Ov is playing FOR Toronto he would have to give up lighting them up which he enjoys so much.

Think thru your argument again. OK?

Old
10-30-2007, 07:04 AM
bonzilla

Quote:
Coincidentally, the same number of Leaf faithful remaining in ACC last night, midway through the 2nd period.

Closed Thread