HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Staying Fit?

Old
10-25-2007, 10:25 AM
MeLoveHockey

vCash: 500
Staying Fit?

What foods should you eat if you wanted to keep in shape while playing hockey? I am about 5 foot 6 and i need all the muscle i can get to make up for my size, but i don't want to overeat and gain weight. What should i be eating for my meals to stay toned?

MeLoveHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2007, 03:47 PM
lotus

Pre game meal:
High carbs
low fat + protein
lots of water

meals that contain protein are (often) high in fat, which you want to stay away from. Plus excess protein is usually stored in the body as fat anyway. Turkey, chicken, and tuna are good sources of protein and have a fair fat:protein ratio. You don't really need to focus on protein unless you hardly eat any of it, or are looking to gain weight.

protein is however important to rebuild muscle that is broken down during hockey games. Which is why you'll see people have a protein drink or some peanut butter after a game or a workout. I'm on the fence here because some people tell me it's great to do that, other's tell me that in the average diet, you eat all the protein you need anyway so excess protein is simply stored as fat.

If you are happy with your weight, I personally wouldn't worry about that. Playing hockey will keep your stamina and general fitness level pretty high, but if you're used to lifting, you gotta continue to lift to keep it.

an example of what I eat:

I'm trying to put on a little weight so I'm eating some protein.
I play hockey 4 days a week so I load up on carbs every single day. Carbs = energy.

To keep what you have, just keep working out as you normally would to gain it, just don't go on increasing weights or anything, and focus on carbs for game day.

but seriously, stay away from fast foods and other fried foods. That is key.

I'm only 5'9" and the most important thing I'm looking to gain is to have strong / quick legs, quick feet, a little more upper body strength, and learning to be strong on my feet so people can't take a size advantage to me to knock me off the puck.

Hockey players don't need to be body builders, so again if you're happy with your weight, just don't change much about what you did to gain it. Stay away from fatty foods, stay active, do what you've been doing.

If you're really worried for whatever reason, try some Aerobic workouts. Run for 45 minutes or so 3 days a week if you only play hockey once a week for example.

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2007, 04:10 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Bodybuilding.com is a great and free resource.

IN GENERAL, skinnier folks probably want to eat about 60:25:15 ratio of carbs:protein:fat and heavier folks (like myself) want to eat about 50:30:20 ratio of carbs:protein:fat. And you probably want to eat more food.

Eat frequently throughout the day, several smaller meals, never go more than a few hours without eating, you should never be hungry. Throw in some vegetables for fiber and minerals.

Before games, I like pasta and a bit of low fat protein like chicken a few hours beforehand. Eating fat makes me feel sluggish and slow, as does eating too much or too close to game time. Lately I have been drinking a tall glass of 100% fruit juice before leaving for the rink as I get weak and light headed when playing, it's worked pretty well but I've only tried it twice.

Afterwards, I drink a tall glass of chocolate milk (something with sugar and protein) to replace glycogen (muscle energy), then eat a bunch of food making sure I get plenty of protein and carbs and not so much fat. I may switch from chocolate milk to fruit juice for more sugar though, I get the feeling that I'm not replacing enough glycogen as I get dizzy/lightheaded sometimes.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2007, 04:17 PM
lotus

I had the dizzy problem too, after a game though. I started to drink (two) glasses of apple juice after a game, and it's worked wonders.

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2007, 04:18 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/peak10.htm

Go to google and type in "glycogen site:www.bodybuilding.com" and a whole BUNCH of great articles pop up. You could spend weeks reading about proper nutrition regarding workouts for free.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2007, 05:44 PM
Nosebleed Section

Psssh McDonalds every day does the trick. If you wanna train hardcore then 2 raw eggs in a glass a' lah Rocky style gets the job done too.

Nosebleed Section is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2007, 06:37 PM
MikeD

ummm..... raw eggs= high risk of salmonella(food poisoning)

be sure that the 15-20% Fat is of the good variety.

right click over the image and select PROPERTIES to get the http address of the image. Open in a seperate window. Keep changing the file name from nutrition1 up through 7 in the http address for the rest of the article.....

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2007, 01:25 AM
Ulic

For pre-game, go for pasta, potato, chicken, and banana. I know thats not what you're really asking but for energy, it works great.

Ulic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2007, 07:54 AM
Tinordi24*

The rule of thumb to maintian your muscle is 1-1.5 grams of protein per pound you weigh per day. Split up into 6 meals per day (eat every 2-3 hours) while taking in no more than 50-60 grams per meal.

Playing through a hockey season will cause you to lose weight and muscle too as any kind of cardiovascular workout will not only burn fat but also burn muscle!

Good carbs (brown rice, whole wheat bread etc) should be taken in a couple hours before a game.

AVOID sugary foods. Worthless for your body and can only cause you to gain bad weight.

Make sure you get in 1-2 gallons of water earlier in the day (if you have a night game)

Incredible supplement is Taurine! Take 5 grams of this stuff on a game day and it will gaurantee you extra energy (quicker recovery between shifts) and ELIMINATE any form of cramps you may get!!!!

Also before a game I always eat a banana...most underrated fruit of all time. Decent carbs and the potassium really helps out too.

My 2 cents

Tinordi24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2007, 09:53 AM
MikeD

Taurine has been shown to cause permanent nervous system damage when used long term. Taurine puts your system into over drive and I strongly urge any non-adult to AVOID using this crap. additionally, many of the lower cost veriety of this product is derived from animal brain tissue.

Old
10-26-2007, 10:09 AM
Tinordi24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Taurine has been shown to cause permanent nervous system damage when used long term. Taurine puts your system into over drive and I strongly urge any non-adult to AVOID using this crap. additionally, many of the lower cost veriety of this product is derived from animal brain tissue.

I suppose this eluded the FDA (the most stringest regulatory body in the US - and the entire world perhaps) when they decided whether to ban or not?

Fact is there is a lot of junk science and false studies out there.

Taurine is a highly rated supplement used by athletes and bodybuilders across the world. YOu'll be hardpressed to find a serious athelete who does not use this. If you make an assertion like that please reference the credible medical journal you found it from.

Tinordi24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2007, 06:10 PM
MikeD

The FDA does not regulate this product. Didnt the FDA approve saccarine and a host of other medicines that turned out to cause serious harm? Check into it at the Canadian Journal of Sports medicine. Its highly rated because it provides a huge edge. Tell the folks EXACTLY what taurine does and how it works? Then they might understand the risks of its use.

Athletes around the world are also using Steriods, HGH and a host of others.

Using Taurine is playing with fire and IMHO its no different on the CHEAT scale than HGH

Adults will do as they choose. Its the youngsters who should be most wary. Adults can manufacture(internally) this amino acid but children can not...makes one wonder a bit doesnt it? Before recommending drug use one should know ALL about its risks.

Last edited by MikeD: 10-26-2007 at 06:19 PM.
Old
10-30-2007, 11:18 AM
MeLoveHockey

Thanks for the advice guys!

MeLoveHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2007, 02:50 AM
Finnish Flasher

High protein value food is essential to stay fit, chicked breast, turkey, tuna are good meats with relatively low fat.

As said before, it is important to eat every 2-3 hours.

Quark and cottage cheese have high protein value.

Finnish Flasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2007, 12:14 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Avoid red meat if possible (the main and most common that you probably eat on a regular basis being beef). As others said high but lean protein for building muscle; chicken, turkey, tuna, etc. White meats are the way to be. Obviously avoid junk food, fast food, and fried food. If you want something sweet eat a fruit or have real fruit juice. Be sure to drink lots of water throughout the day. Also avoid anything with high fructose corn syrup such as sodas and most bottled beverages. That crap kills you (well, it makes you fat).

Last edited by WhipNash27: 10-31-2007 at 12:20 PM.
WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote