HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Sixers boards?

Old
10-30-2007, 04:51 PM
PhillyPhinn

vCash: 500
OT: Sixers boards?

Anyone know any good and active sixers boards? I have tried to find one, but the normal google techniques havent worked. The season is about to start, and id like to get to read what devout sixers fans have to say....

PhillyPhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2007, 04:59 PM
BringBackStevens

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2007, 05:22 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhinn View Post
Anyone know any good and active sixers boards? I have tried to find one, but the normal google techniques havent worked. The season is about to start, and id like to get to read what devout sixers fans have to say....
There are devout Sixers fans? You would be the first one I've ever come across of my 23 years and 3+ months on this planet if the Sixers are your favorite team.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2007, 05:39 PM
Amateur Hour

Yeah, college basketball >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> NBA in Philadelphia. The Sixers have really fallen off the map since their 2000-2001 Finals run (which was very exciting, I'll admit)... makes you wonder how many of the team's "fans" over the last decade were actually Allen Iverson fans. It's a shame... I used to be a huge Sixers fan (1995-2003), but as I got older, the NBA became a complete joke to me for a number of reasons (#1 not being the "thug life" crap, but rather the complete and utter deterioration of game quality -- I want to watch BASKETball, not STREETball... you know, the one that has passing, movement without the ball, precision shooting, the understanding that there are 5 players on the floor and not 1, etc.)

Now, the NBA is obsolete to me. I did start watching the Sixers a bit again (bits of games here and there... never sat down to watch a full game, though) last year once they acquired Andre Miller because he plays basketball the way it was MEANT to be played (see: passing), but, still, I really don't care at all. At least Andre Iguodala's an exciting, emerging star who is finally being given the chance to blossom... I'll probably tune in a few times when I can just to watch him.

For the time being, though, I'll stick to college basketball, if I'm going to watch the sport at all.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2007, 05:44 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
I can't even watch college basketball for many of the same reasons.

I will watch the Olympics though.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2007, 05:59 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
I can't even watch college basketball for many of the same reasons.

I will watch the Olympics though.
I can accept it more in college basketball because it's kids playing and learning the game... I feel the game still has a hint of purity to it at the college level, if that makes sense. Besides, the games are much more evenly matched and make for a lot of close, hard fought contests. Tourney Time/March Madness is easily my favorite time of the year, as far as sports go.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2007, 06:46 PM
Claude Reigns
What offseason?

Who are these sixers of which you speak?

Claude Reigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2007, 06:58 PM
PhillyPhinn

Its scary to read your disrespectful comments when you are probably the same people who ***** about people who laugh and mock the NHL. I would guess there has to be some sixers fansites with active forums, but if you just want to take cheap shots on the sixers, thats fine. Dont just ***** about idiots mocking the NHL or the Flyers in the future.

Old
10-30-2007, 07:07 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
when was the last time i watched a sixers game? that's right, never.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2007, 07:23 PM
Gags1288

Go to realgm.com, there is an active board there.

Gags1288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2007, 07:54 PM
KevinLin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gags1288 View Post
Go to realgm.com, there is an active board there.
This man speaks the truth. Though they have gone down in popularity lately.

KevinLin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2007, 10:30 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Its scary to read your disrespectful comments when you are probably the same people who ***** about people who laugh and mock the NHL. I would guess there has to be some sixers fansites with active forums, but if you just want to take cheap shots on the sixers, thats fine. Dont just ***** about idiots mocking the NHL or the Flyers in the future.
The NHL has taken steps to put out a more entertaining product. the NBA hasn't. Big difference.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2007, 10:31 PM
panayiotis

big fan

Quote:
I love the sixers dude. I have been a fan since the mid seveties. Dont mind these rednecks. Basketball is a great game. The sixers are building something special. I hope Larry Brown does not come back as the coach. Keep on building with these young players. Give Cheeks and King the time . The results will come.

panayiotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2007, 10:38 PM
Yoshimitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by panayiotis View Post
I love the sixers dude. I have been a fan since the mid seveties. Dont mind these rednecks. Basketball is a great game. The sixers are building something special. I hope Larry Brown does not come back as the coach. Keep on building with these young players. Give Cheeks and King the time . The results will come.
If by "special" you actually mean "worst team in the league," then yes, they're building some quite special.

Yoshimitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2007, 10:50 PM
BringBackStevens

Basketball ****ing sucks

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2007, 11:12 PM
KevinLin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshimitsu View Post
If by "special" you actually mean "worst team in the league," then yes, they're building some quite special.
OJ Mayo here we COME!

KevinLin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2007, 11:16 PM
CavemanLawyer

Quote:
Yes its funny because half of this board *****es all the time about how the city of Philadelphia is home to the biggest bandwagon jumpers between sports. How Eagles fans suddenly become Flyers fans, Sixers fans become Eagles fans, and such. Yet here you are following the Sixers through thick and thin, and yet you are mocked by the same city who hates bandwagon jumpers... kind of weird... It seems if you stopped following the Sixers they wouldn't mock the team or you, but yet you would be a bandwagon person, which whom everyone on this message board hates... Quite the Catch-22 you are in....

CavemanLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2007, 06:17 AM
PhillyPhinn

And im not even that big of a sixers fan, just wanted to maybe read what people who know something about the team has to say now that the seasons about to start. I do that with all sports teams i follow, regardless of the sport, as it helps me getting into the team in question.

And one would think that US-based hockey-fans of all people would be a bit more respectful to a "traditional" sports franchise that participates in one of the biggest sports in the US.

I for one hate reading **** like "noone cares about the blackhawks/bruins/NHL in general" when all they mean is that its not cool to care about those things. That doesnt mean that there arent thousands/millions of fans out there who still care just as much as when they were popular. They are called fans, btw.

Im a sports nut, 100%, and i have yet to find a teamsport that i hate. I may not like them all equally of course, but if someone explains the basic rules to me i can pretty much enjoy every sport i watch, and actually admire the performance of the athletes. Sports , especially team sports!

Old
10-31-2007, 07:33 AM
pelts35.com

If the Sixers win 20 games this season it will be a lot.

That building is going to be very empty for basketball nights this season.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2007, 08:40 AM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
The Sixers are the only one of the 4 major team that I can ever see leaving Philadelphia. They draw terribly unless they have a star like Barkley or Iverson. It's much more of a individual player draw than a team draw in Philly.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2007, 08:55 AM
rayearth

Is that it or were those the only times when the team was half decent?

rayearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2007, 08:59 AM
letsgoflyers75

Send a message via AIM to letsgoflyers75 Send a message via MSN to letsgoflyers75
Quote:
Originally Posted by panayiotis
You're right. Basketball is a great game. The NBA is a disgrace for trying to pass off what it is as basketball.

Now, don't call me a redneck because I hate what the NBA has done to a wonderful sport. Thanks.

letsgoflyers75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2007, 09:01 AM
MountainHawk

In my lifetime, I guess. But the other teams in Philly have bigger hardcore fan bases. The Phillies were awful for the better part of the century, yet even before the recent uptick, they still drew 1.5-2M a year. It's hard to imagine the Eagles will ever play to a half empty Link, even if they go 4-5 years with no playoffs. Even the Flyers I think would see their attendence drop off much slower than the Sixers do. If the Sixers have a season like the Flyers did last year, they'll have under 8K watching them in April.

Old
10-31-2007, 09:13 AM
rayearth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
In my lifetime, I guess. But the other teams in Philly have bigger hardcore fan bases. The Phillies were awful for the better part of the century, yet even before the recent uptick, they still drew 1.5-2M a year. It's hard to imagine the Eagles will ever play to a half empty Link, even if they go 4-5 years with no playoffs. Even the Flyers I think would see their attendence drop off much slower than the Sixers do. If the Sixers have a season like the Flyers did last year, they'll have under 8K watching them in April.
The Sixers were just about as bad the Flyers last year, for most of the season anyway. 35-47 and that was because they won a lot of games in the final quarter of the season or so. Home attendance was 2nd worst in the league at 15,011 and was by far the lowest % of capacity. Flyers were 2nd in home attenance at 19,282. I'm not sure what I just proved. Maybe Flyers have more faithful fans although they only sucked for one year while the Sixers have sucked for about four.

rayearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2007, 09:40 AM
MountainHawk

Satan isn't a bad as the Flyers were last year. I saw them win at home for my birthday in mid-November, then they didn't win at home again until somewhere around Valentine's Day.

Yet they kept the fans coming, somehow.