HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Sweden
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

2010 Olympics Roster Projections

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-01-2009, 02:30 PM
  #176
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country
 
Systemfel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Gothenburg
Country: Sweden
Posts: 8,823
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribban View Post
Why is nobody talking about Micke Samuelsson? That boy has the quickest release of all the Swedes that I can think of.
Sammy the logo hunter? Release quickness really doesn't matter if 99% of your shots go right in the goalie's tummy.

Systemfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 03:22 PM
  #177
Ribban
Registered User
 
Ribban's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: USA
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,512
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Systemfel View Post
Sammy the logo hunter? Release quickness really doesn't matter if 99% of your shots go right in the goalie's tummy.
Don't know about that. There are many different reasons to shoot the puck.

More often than not, it's about putting it on net, as you never know, but you can almost bank on getting a face off deep in the offensive zone.

You rarely see him miss when given a good look and the slightest gap though.

Ribban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 03:58 PM
  #178
Tomas W
Registered User
 
Tomas W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 5,114
vCash: 500
I think Micke Samuelsson has been good the times I've seen him playing for Sweden in tre kronor, he have put on a lot of effort in those games.

4 points during the olympics -06 and 9 points in the WC's same year.

Plus he has scored 19 goals this season, not THAT bad. Really, there aren't many Swedes that scores a whole lot more than that. Daniel Sedin, Zetterberg, King Loui, Franzen, Alfie, Naslund...not too many.

It's an advantage also to have a lot of players who knows eachother in these short tourneys.

All this said, he is far from a given at the team, more like a injury substitute probably.


Last edited by Tomas W: 04-01-2009 at 04:04 PM.
Tomas W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 04:05 PM
  #179
Ribban
Registered User
 
Ribban's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: USA
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,512
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas W View Post
I think Micke Samuelsson has been good the times I've seen him playing for Sweden in tre kronor, he have put on a lot of effort in those games.

4 points during the olympics -06 and 9 points in the WC's same year.

Plus has scored 19 goals this season, not THAT bad. Really, there aren't many Swedes that scores a whole lot more than that. Daniel Sedin, Zetterberg, King Loui, Franzen, Alfie, Naslund...not too many.

It's an advantage also to have a lot of players who knows eachother in these short tourneys.

All this said, he is far from a given at the team, more like a injury substitute probably.

Well, to be fair, I think some of the "cooling" is due to Hossa's superb play. Not much to say anything about that though.

Ribban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 08:56 PM
  #180
Philly85
Raps'
 
Philly85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 12,571
vCash: 500
Any chance in hell a guy like L. Omark get's a sniff? Rumored to be playing in Edmonton next season.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 09:58 PM
  #181
KRM
Registered User
 
KRM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Gothenburg
Country: Sweden
Posts: 11,103
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
Any chance in hell a guy like L. Omark get's a sniff? Rumored to be playing in Edmonton next season.
No......

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 12:57 AM
  #182
Philly85
Raps'
 
Philly85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 12,571
vCash: 500
Thanks for the response.

I figured so much. Top 6 will be solidified.

Bottom 6 won't suit him, logic indicates.

Oh well, 2014, keeping my fingers crossed, haha.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 07:13 AM
  #183
Nordic*
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Tellus
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 13,722
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
Thanks for the response.

I figured so much. Top 6 will be solidified.

Bottom 6 won't suit him, logic indicates.

Oh well, 2014, keeping my fingers crossed, haha.

Looking at the swedish media, he's not even a sure lock for the upcoming WC.

I think he should be on it, we don't have alot of players with his style.

But the Olympics...eh....no.

Don't know if anyone from the SEL will be on that squad.. perhaps K.Jönsson and some goalie, that's it.

Nordic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2009, 07:41 AM
  #184
SChan*
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 7,951
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
Don't know if anyone from the SEL will be on that squad.. perhaps K.Jönsson and some goalie, that's it.
BÅG loves his SEL veterans, I am sure we'll see some useless player there.

SChan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 05:31 AM
  #185
Philly85
Raps'
 
Philly85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 12,571
vCash: 500
I'm Canadian, so obviously I'll be cheering for Canada at the Olympics, but I have some Danish blood in me as well. Therefore I will always have a soft spot for the Scandinavian team, especially Sweden.

Swedes play a wonderful style of hockey. Play with tremendous heart and skill, but it's just such an intelligent style of play. It seems like Sweden breeds smart players with excellent hockey sense.

If Canada doesn't take the gold (which I doubt they will), I'll be rooting hard for Konungariket Sverige.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 08:41 PM
  #186
Ribban
Registered User
 
Ribban's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: USA
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,512
vCash: 500
I still like Sundin for a couple of reasons.
He plays very simple, and very smart hockey.
He has a nice shot, which draws out the defense.
He is big (yes, he is) and unlike many other Swedish players, he's strong on the puck.
But most of all:
He wins face-offs.

Unfortunately, I don't think we will have him for the tournament, and that is a big void.
I see a lot of skill players on the suggested rosters, and I know BÅG tends to pick those kinds of players as well. However, it bothers me, and for a best-of-the-best on small ice, we need people who can force the puck forward, go get it back, and battle in front of the net without losing tempers or focus.

What would I like... something along the lines of:

Franzen - Zetterberg - Holmström
Sedin - Sedin- Samuelsson
Erikssson - Bäckström - Alfredsson
Steen - Påhlsson - Sjöström

Lidström - Kronwall
Murray - Grossman
Edler - Öhlund
Enström

Lundqvist
Tellqvist
Hedberg

Berglund, Lundqvist, Hjalmarsson

Ribban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 03:58 AM
  #187
Nordic*
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Tellus
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 13,722
vCash: 500
Big rig could seriously be in there.

Nordic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 04:20 AM
  #188
SChan*
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 7,951
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribban View Post
I still like Sundin for a couple of reasons.
He plays very simple, and very smart hockey.
He has a nice shot, which draws out the defense.
He is big (yes, he is) and unlike many other Swedish players, he's strong on the puck.
But most of all:
He wins face-offs.

Unfortunately, I don't think we will have him for the tournament, and that is a big void.
I see a lot of skill players on the suggested rosters, and I know BÅG tends to pick those kinds of players as well. However, it bothers me, and for a best-of-the-best on small ice, we need people who can force the puck forward, go get it back, and battle in front of the net without losing tempers or focus.

What would I like... something along the lines of:

Franzen - Zetterberg - Holmström
Sedin - Sedin- Samuelsson
Erikssson - Bäckström - Alfredsson
Steen - Påhlsson - Sjöström

Lidström - Kronwall
Murray - Grossman
Edler - Öhlund
Enström

Lundqvist
Tellqvist
Hedberg

Berglund, Lundqvist, Hjalmarsson
samuelsson on the 2nd line and backstrom on the 3rd? I hope you're not serious.

SChan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 08:13 AM
  #189
mattihp
Registered User
 
mattihp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Årsta
Country: Finland
Posts: 15,000
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
Big rig could seriously be in there.
Who is that? a gay porn actor?

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 08:31 AM
  #190
LiveeviL
No unique points
 
LiveeviL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Jämtland, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 5,685
vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp View Post
Who is that? a gay porn actor?
Sundin

LiveeviL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 10:26 AM
  #191
Tomas W
Registered User
 
Tomas W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 5,114
vCash: 500
Samuelsson might get in due to the fact his a righty. There really arent that many alternatives if you want a right shot. Hörnqvist maybe, if he develop next season.

Tomas W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 10:42 AM
  #192
Tomas W
Registered User
 
Tomas W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 5,114
vCash: 500
How important is it to have players that shoots right on the team. On defense in particular were pretty low on those?

Tomas W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 04:51 PM
  #193
Ribban
Registered User
 
Ribban's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: USA
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,512
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by korpen2009 View Post
samuelsson on the 2nd line and backstrom on the 3rd? I hope you're not serious.
I honestly don't think he is better than either Z or Sedin on any given day, and I would keep the "Wings" together, as I would the Sedins. However, if the Sedins are having "one of those nights," you'd oviously adjust accordingly.

Ribban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 04:59 PM
  #194
Ribban
Registered User
 
Ribban's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: USA
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,512
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp View Post
Who is that? a gay porn actor?
It's Eriksson on the Wings.

.. and I seriously doubt that he will be anywhere near a Swedish olympic team next year. He has been pretty sketchy the games I've seen him so far. I'm sure he'll develop to be a great player eventually, but I don't see how he will be anywhere near the olympic team by early 2010.

Ribban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 06:19 PM
  #195
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country
 
Systemfel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Gothenburg
Country: Sweden
Posts: 8,823
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribban View Post
.. and I seriously doubt that he will be anywhere near a Swedish olympic team next year. He has been pretty sketchy the games I've seen him so far. I'm sure he'll develop to be a great player eventually, but I don't see how he will be anywhere near the olympic team by early 2010.
Are you kidding? He's made a great transition to the NHL. Logged 22 minutes last night playing with Lidström. We sure could use his physical play next year.

Systemfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 01:44 AM
  #196
Ribban
Registered User
 
Ribban's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: USA
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,512
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Systemfel View Post
Are you kidding? He's made a great transition to the NHL. Logged 22 minutes last night playing with Lidström. We sure could use his physical play next year.
Let's see. As I am being accused of not knowing what I speak of, I guess I better detail my response.

As of recetnly, I have seen the Islander game, I watched the Blues game, and I saw most of the stars game. The buffalo game I have Tivoed, but yet to watch.

Isles - Didn't do much. I had to look up his playing time, which amounted to 12 mins. The whole team played poorly however, so to ask a for him to have an impressive game is obviously unfair.

Blues - Several really bad turnovers, several missed pucks behind his own net, and repeatedly missed assignments which set up at least one goal without doubt, wrapping the game -3 or something along those lines.

Stars - Kept losing his man on the weak side consistently, cheated on the corners equally consistently and stayed home, which hung out his winger to do duty x2 out of position, overskated the puck on several occassions when having company wihtout knowing who the third guy on the train would be - twice that I remember it meant lost possession and an earful from Mike Babcock but a pat on the shoulder from Stuart, I think it was.

Sabres - yet to watch.

Overall, no gripes. I am a fan of him, which previous posts here should clearly demonstrate. He's a great young talent. Red Wings does a great thing to bring him up and play him right now to get him into the system and valuable icetime. He is surrounded buy the best organization in hockey with tremendous support and opportuntiy. He has great reach and strength. He will be awesome down the road.

It looks like he is trying to do one thing one game, and then overcompensate to avoid making the same mistakes the next game. I'm glad he is playing next to Lidström, which I'm certain is no coincedence, because Nik-daddy helps out both on and off the ice, but I suspect that it's frustration and desire to improve that triggers some really random choices with the puck. Nothing unusal about that; it's all part of learning but contra-indicative for olympic duty in a handful of months.

I have no doubt that he will be a lock for the 2014 team, if the pros still go then, but given the nature of his "mistakes" as of right now, I find it unlikely that he will be a prime candidate for the olympic team in 6 months, or whenever BÅG needs to sit down with his "lists."

So, no, I'm not kidding when I say no way for 2010. That is my opinion. I would have been more keen on second guessing myself had you questioned me on leaving K. Jönsson out of the line-up... but I worry about him getting migranes or something else when we meet Canada or the USA in a key game.

What does your crystal ball say?

Ribban is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:37 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.