HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Top 20 article

Closed Thread

Old
01-14-2004, 07:05 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
Top 20 article

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...readed&order=0

Lapierre moves up a lot along with Halak and O'Byrne, while Kasty moves to #1 and Hossa drops a little (still has a ton of skill)

I'd like to hear your opinons good or bad, as it helps me get better at this. (my 3rd time doing the rankings, and it hasn't gotten any easier yet :p )

Old
01-14-2004, 08:35 PM
Dutchy

Send a message via ICQ to Dutchy
Great rankings! I don't know much about prospects, but I would have switched Hainsey and Balej's positions because of the latter's play as of late. I would have also liked to see Locke higher, but then again what do I know?!?

Quick question, do you know when they will update the organisation rankings?

Old
01-14-2004, 08:58 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchy
Great rankings! I don't know much about prospects, but I would have switched Hainsey and Balej's positions because of the latter's play as of late. I would have also liked to see Locke higher, but then again what do I know?!?

Quick question, do you know when they will update the organisation rankings?

Trust me Hainsey is a tough one. To me, he's one of our most skilled prospects, and on defense, I think he is the most skilled (Komo and him are close, but Hainsey has so much natural skill vs Komo's size/strength) But it's hard to really say where he should be. I have to consider that he's playing in his 3rd year of AHL, and while he has been playing well in the AHL, I still have some doubts of how effective he will be in the NHL. As for Hainsey over Balej, it's close to call. Balej has been very good this year, as I still can't believe how well he's doing so far. I really thought it was going to be bad for him when he was cut so early, but boy has he ever made me eat crow, as he has been one of the top AHL forwards all season. Jarvis impressed me by putting Balej on the PK, a spot I would not have forseen him playing on in the AHL, he must have a lot of confidence in Balej's abilities.

Locke is a scoring machine, but in juniors. I have spoken with the head scout of ISS about Locke, and we talked about how his body frame is really going to hurt him. He has good speed for juniors, but without having any "breakout speed" he will have trouble getting room for himself. Also he doesn't have a lot of lower body strength, much like Ribeiro, which means as a center he could have a lot of trouble in his own end down low. I'm by no means writing Locke off, cause he clearly has a ton of skill and from what I have seen he works hard and his on ice vision is outstanding. In some ways he does in fact remind me of a smaller Ribeiro, and I'm not sure that's a good thing.

I think they are working on the organizational rankings.

Old
01-14-2004, 09:17 PM
#44_delivers

any news on when katsiskyn comes to north america?
and waz it you that made the rankings??
if so on what basis did his 8 change to an 8.5???

Old
01-14-2004, 09:38 PM
Necrophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...readed&order=0

I'd like to hear your opinons good or bad, as it helps me get better at this. (my 3rd time doing the rankings, and it hasn't gotten any easier yet :p )
I generally like your rankings, but I wonder why you're not higher on Alex Buturlin. I know he's a little older than most of our prospects, but he's already a scoring threat in the RSL, which is considered by many to be only slightly inferior to the NHL. I wonder why they aren't trying to bring him to North America. Of course, there would be a transition period (ice surface + language), but he could prove helpful on a fairly short-term basis.

And by the way, are the rankings based on top-end potential, or on probability of one day making it in the NHL?

Old
01-15-2004, 05:50 AM
Subban Fan

Good rankings but i think Balej should be higher...

Old
01-15-2004, 06:35 AM
StanleyCH25

Good read. I agree with most of your rankings and can see how it would be difficult when choosing near the middle of the pack.

One thing to point out---

In the "written" article, you have Mark Flood at #19 and Alex Buturlin at #20. In the prospects ranking on the right side, you have Mark Flood at #20 and Alex Buturlin at #19. Really not a big deal but just thought I'd mention it in case you wanted to fix one of them (which one? I don't know.. )

Old
01-15-2004, 07:10 AM
goalchenyuk

exellente job , dan ,

i am just a little bit surprise that Plekanec is above Balej ; i don't mean here that your ranking is wrong , because i never saw both of them play, but simply surprise because i think i ear more about Balej...

why do you prefer Plekanec ?

Old
01-15-2004, 07:33 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by #44_delivers
any news on when katsiskyn comes to north america?
and waz it you that made the rankings??
if so on what basis did his 8 change to an 8.5???

No news and there won't be any till the summer, cause the NHL/IIHF contract is about to expire, and you can't sign players over the season, so we'll have to wait a few months to see what happens. I'd say either he's signed or maybe he stays for another year.

I moved him up cause of his skill level. So much skill, he's got decent size, will throw a hit, but it's not his game, passes and shoots well with good speed and acceleration. He's one of the most skilled Hab prospects I have seen. A bigger Perezhogin although he is prone to coasting in the netural zone, and from two games I've seen, that seems to be his biggest weakness.

Old
01-15-2004, 07:34 AM
habitants9_4

I think Locke should be higher.
Archer should also be higher in O'Byrne's place...He's been solid.
Michaud should be on there

Old
01-15-2004, 07:38 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necrophile
I generally like your rankings, but I wonder why you're not higher on Alex Buturlin. I know he's a little older than most of our prospects, but he's already a scoring threat in the RSL, which is considered by many to be only slightly inferior to the NHL. I wonder why they aren't trying to bring him to North America. Of course, there would be a transition period (ice surface + language), but he could prove helpful on a fairly short-term basis.

And by the way, are the rankings based on top-end potential, or on probability of one day making it in the NHL?

I do like Buturlin, but I factor in his age, and the fact that he has slowed down his production a lot over the last month and a half, but there's no doubt he has skill. I watch one of his games for Team Russia for the Senior National team, he played on the 4th line, and didn't do much in his first appearance for the national team. Other then that, I don't have much to go off of but stats and talking to the a few people over there. His game has progressed, hopefully the Habs give him another chance.

Top end potential. I also consider age, development program they are currently in, the season they had last year vs this year, how they have improved their weaknesses, etc...

Old
01-15-2004, 07:43 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabzIsLife
What happened to Puurula? whatz going on with him? isn't he putting up good stats?

and Halak should be higher I think I remember him having a 1.95 Gaa in the Mens league, is that right?

Puurula was injured at the start of the season, but he had lost his starting job to Rob Tallas, who played very well. After his return from injury, he didn't get much ice time till Tallas got injured. He has played a lot recently, but from the sounds of it management isn't happy with his inconsistent play, so they are looking for another starter if Tallas can not return.

Halak is climbing up the charts, and it's hard to place him over Lapierre who is easier to get info on, as I have only seen Halak once in the WJC's. I was impressed even though he let in the softie (it was a bad bounce for him, jumped at the last second) His gaa in the mens league was only in 10 or so games, but impressive non the less. I do feel he is the Habs top goalie prospect and very underrated.

Old
01-15-2004, 07:45 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komi#1
Good rankings but i think Balej should be higher...

I did have him at 5th, but it's hard to push down Hainsey. It was a very tough call between those two. Both have issues that they need to improve upon, and could be flipped depending on the person doing the flipping. Hainsey has so much skill, as does Balej, but his lack of strength could be problem (tough to say since he's never played in the NHL yet)

Old
01-15-2004, 07:49 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by patp77
Good read. I agree with most of your rankings and can see how it would be difficult when choosing near the middle of the pack.

One thing to point out---

In the "written" article, you have Mark Flood at #19 and Alex Buturlin at #20. In the prospects ranking on the right side, you have Mark Flood at #20 and Alex Buturlin at #19. Really not a big deal but just thought I'd mention it in case you wanted to fix one of them (which one? I don't know.. )

Thanks it's my mistake and it's fixed now. Flood is 19, Buturlin at 20.

Old
01-15-2004, 07:53 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0v
exellente job , dan ,

i am just a little bit surprise that Plekanec is above Balej ; i don't mean here that your ranking is wrong , because i never saw both of them play, but simply surprise because i think i ear more about Balej...

why do you prefer Plekanec ?

I perfer Plekanec cause of he plays with more of an edge although Balej doesn't take crap when he gets hit, Pleks will dish out more on his own, which I feel is important for him to make room for himself out there. Although Pleks is smaller, he is thicker and seems to have more lower body strength, a big factor. I know Balej is tearing up the A, but in the NHL, his strength is a concern, we'll see how he does, I happen to like both very much. Lots of skill between them.

Old
01-15-2004, 08:03 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitants9_4
I think Locke should be higher.
Archer should also be higher in O'Byrne's place...He's been solid.
Michaud should be on there

Locke you can forget about till next year (if he's brought to the AHL). What he does in juniors means nothing anymore. He's shown he can score in great bunches, but with his lack of lower body strength, he's going to have a hard time down low. He has a ton of skill and his vision is unreal, but he's in a similiar situation to Ribeiro, in that he's a great playmaker, but lacks size, strength, speed, and although better then Ribeiro in his own end plus I think he's a harder worker, he still will have his work cut out for him. If he continues to work hard, (if I were his trainer, I'd be telling him to do a lot of squat thrusts and work the upper lower body) But hopefully he gets signed and brought to Hamilton next year, where we will be able to guage his abilities against the better competition.

Archer should be, and he looked impressive in the game I was at last week, but his development has slowed due to injury and having trouble getting in the lineup. Next year I fully expect him to be a regular and showing his impressive skills. I love his reach, and he made several good passes while I was at the game. But he needs to get a little bigger, more physical would help as well. It was more that other were doing so well, they moved past him. O'Byrne isn't much younger, but he's bigger, skates better, makes good passes, and is very physical. I'm very high on O'Byrne, as well as Archer.

I've never been a fan of Michaud's but he did play well against philly after starting off kind of shaky. Still in the ECHL he lost his starting job, and had the worst save % on the team. With the new goalie, they started winning games left and right, and if not for an injury callup, his ice time would have been less and less. I have him around 23rd, with Stewart, Eneqvist, a Linhart all right there as well.

Closed Thread