HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hatcher out for a month

Old
10-31-2007, 06:14 PM
exlund*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kz View Post
Jones is completely and totally over rated on this board. He hasn't made close to "a ton" of great plays, and especially NOT on both ends. He's competent through 10 games, that's as far as i'll go with Jones.
It's funny, early on he was getting absolutely slammed on here...I actually came to his defense saying people were being too hard on him...then he put up some numbers (pts +/-) and all of the sudden people were on his jock and now he's overrated...opinions seem to change with the wind around here.

exlund* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2007, 07:04 PM
flyersfan97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
as a group, americans take very little time to try to figure out foreign things.
Because, as a group, we're conceited, arrogant and self-involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayearth View Post
Jose can Jussi?

That was bad.
I dunno, it made me giggle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
I, for one, demand that weights be suspended for a minimum 20 games and, if this continues, that the company that made the weights suffer stiff fines and penalties.
Weights should be banned from the entire NHL.

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2007, 07:24 PM
Kaktus*

heh... Just one month?

What HAtcher had to say so prepare your self...

"I've had problems with it the past 10 years probably," Hatcher said after the Flyers practised on Wednesday. "It's probably closer to four weeks (recovery) because it's had trauma before. The tough thing about getting injured is it sets you back. Instead of being where you're at, you're almost starting over."

Anyway I want to see Parent and Rory.

Last edited by Kaktus*: 10-31-2007 at 07:43 PM.
Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2007, 09:32 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshimitsu View Post
Are we having another situation where a player stinks on the ice and is slowly forced out of the door because of phantom injuries?
Hatcher has had a long tough productive career. Therefore I would shed no tears where this the case.

Quote:
No ****, but I think learning how to pronounce someone's name is basic respect
Eph the Europeans. They wanna play here they need to adjust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
I see no downside to this.
Me neither.

Quote:
ugh. I have a man crush for picard. Wish he would get a fair shake for a spot this season.
He will, all in due time.

Quote:
Jones is completely and totally over rated on this board.
WHAT?????????????

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2007, 09:35 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlund View Post
It's funny, early on he was getting absolutely slammed on here...I actually came to his defense saying people were being too hard on him...then he put up some numbers (pts +/-) and all of the sudden people were on his jock and now he's overrated...opinions seem to change with the wind around here.
There are a number of people here who need someone to hate on. They cannot STAND not being able to excoriate. When the team goes well, well then life is tough for them.

Why do you think RoDu posts are so rare these days? LOL

Anyway, Randy Jones is not a top 4 defenseman on a contending team. If anyone is saying that, they've just gotten carried away. But in the beginning of the year the conventional wisdom was: he don't belong on the team.

Reality may be the place in between: third pairing.

Old
10-31-2007, 09:50 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
as a group, americans take very little time to try to figure out foreign things.
It's not just Americans who have issues with foreign language. Here in Guatemala they say Lehbees instead of Levi's, bohb instead of bug, and sloog instead of slug. Every culture has its own set of difficulties speaking other languages.

In order to be able to attempt to pronounce foreign languages you need to know how the natives pronounce things. In the US, usually 'j' had a 'jzh' sound, so it is understandable that people think Jussi's name might sound like Juicy.

I know, it has nothing to do with hockey, but language issues fascinate me.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2007, 09:56 PM
RoDu

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
Why do you think RoDu posts are so rare these days? LOL
I've been busy with sleeping and such during games, but I still pick on Knuble's footspeed(or lack there of when i can

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2007, 10:49 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Jones is completely and totally over rated on this board. He hasn't made close to "a ton" of great plays, and especially NOT on both ends. He's competent through 10 games, that's as far as i'll go with Jones.
You really need to catch a couple of the games, it would help your pointless slagging of one of our better players so far this year.

Larry44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2007, 11:04 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
I've been busy with sleeping and such during games, but I still pick on Knuble's footspeed(or lack there of when i can
Rodu, that avatar had me and my wife dying!

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2007, 11:04 PM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayearth View Post
Jose can Jussi?

That was bad.
Actually I thought it was quite humorous.

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2007, 11:13 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlund View Post
I was impressed that he was able to improve over the terrible play he showed in the past. But unlike many other people around here lately i'm keeping things in perspective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
You really need to catch a couple of the games, it would help your pointless slagging of one of our better players so far this year.
I've watched every game this year, bud. And i haven't been "slagging" Jones... I simply stated that Jones is quickly becoming very overrated. His numbers are about as empty as Carter's as far as i am concerned... Jones makes some nice plays out there for sure, but for everything positive he does, he ****s something up in his own zone.

And it's funny, because even though i think he's overrated, Jones is STILL playing way over his head.

BringBackStevens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2007, 11:21 PM
krantan

Quote:
What? He is in the top 30 for scoring for defensemen, top 10 for +/- and has been on sportscenter highlights 3 times from 9 games. (twice for defensive plays and once for a goal)

If you tried to say he is just lucky and playing over his head you could possibly have a case. Picard is a very good player, and in all likelihood will have a better career then Jones, but trying to say any defenseman not named Pronger or Lidstrom has more then a fair chance to be more productive then Jones so far this season is completely and utterly ********.

krantan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2007, 11:39 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by krantan View Post
What? He is in the top 30 for scoring for defensemen, top 10 for +/- and has been on sportscenter highlights 3 times from 9 games. (twice for defensive plays and once for a goal)

If you tried to say he is just lucky and playing over his head you could possibly have a case.
I did...

Quote:
Picard is a very good player, and in all likelihood will have a better career then Jones, but trying to say any defenseman not named Pronger or Lidstrom has more then a fair chance to be more productive then Jones so far this season is completely and utterly ********.
What Jones did in 9 games really doesn't hold that much bearing on whats hes gonna do over the next 70 as far as i'm concerned. Furthermore, numbers can be an illusion. He hasn't been awful like he was last year, but he looks farrrrrrrr from a Norris candidate as your comment suggests

BringBackStevens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2007, 11:51 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator View Post
In order to be able to attempt to pronounce foreign languages you need to know how the natives pronounce things.
The old joke is:

Q: What do you call someone who speaks more than just one language?
A: "Multilingual."

Q: What do you call someone who speaks only one language?
A: "American."

Of course, when one considers American English dialects found in the Deep South, New England, New Orleans, Michigan, Philly, etc plus the ethnic dialects, we've got our hands full. I know a guy who lived all his life in Boston, took a business trip to Mobile, caught a taxi ride from the airport.

"I couldn't understand a word [the cab driver] said, " he told me, "The guy may well have been speaking Farsi, I couldn't catch a single bleepin' word."

Last edited by JXC: 10-31-2007 at 11:58 PM.
Old
11-01-2007, 12:30 AM
Larry44

Quote:
I've watched every game this year, bud. And i haven't been "slagging" Jones... I simply stated that Jones is quickly becoming very overrated. His numbers are about as empty as Carter's as far as i am concerned... Jones makes some nice plays out there for sure, but for everything positive he does, he ****s something up in his own zone.

And it's funny, because even though i think he's overrated, Jones is STILL playing way over his head.
Well, it doesn't show, pal. You are, of course, entitled to your stupid opinion.

Larry44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2007, 07:36 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Well, it doesn't show, pal. You are, of course, entitled to your stupid opinion.
jones has definitely improved, but everyone remembers the rookie type errors jones used to make. is he one of our better defensemen at the moment? yes. will it stay that way? it probably shouldnt, the same way that biron is not going to be able to save our butts every night. i'm starting to like jones, but i agree that he's playing far above the level that i envisioned him at.

overrated doesnt mean he's bad. it just means he's not as good as some people might think.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2007, 09:56 AM
krantan

Quote:
I did...

What Jones did in 9 games really doesn't hold that much bearing on whats hes gonna do over the next 70 as far as i'm concerned. Furthermore, numbers can be an illusion. He hasn't been awful like he was last year, but he looks farrrrrrrr from a Norris candidate as your comment suggests
I'm just going to pretend at this point that you said what you obviously mean (that Picard is a better player then Jones) and not what you did, since you can't possibly think Picard would have have been better then +8 with 6 points on the season.

Old
11-01-2007, 10:04 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by krantan View Post
I'm just going to pretend at this point that you said what you obviously mean (that Picard is a better player then Jones) and not what you did, since you can't possibly think Picard would have have been better then +8 with 6 points on the season.
i dont think picard could hit 6 points and +8 at this point of the season, but then again, i didnt see jones doing that either.

Old
11-01-2007, 10:59 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEIFey View Post
jones has definitely improved, but everyone remembers the rookie type errors jones used to make. is he one of our better defensemen at the moment? yes. will it stay that way? it probably shouldnt, the same way that biron is not going to be able to save our butts every night. i'm starting to like jones, but i agree that he's playing far above the level that i envisioned him at.

overrated doesnt mean he's bad. it just means he's not as good as some people might think.
Jones has now showed himself to be a legit bottom pairing dman in the league as opposed to the one that belonged no where near the NHL in prior years.....nothing more, nothing less. If he ends this season on the same pace I will replicate the run from the Rocky movies completely naked.....

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2007, 11:51 AM
krantan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEIFey View Post
i dont think picard could hit 6 points and +8 at this point of the season, but then again, i didnt see jones doing that either.
I agree. I'd just about bet my house on Jones not finishing with anywhere near this pace.( 9/46/55 on the year) I'd be thrilled if he finishes with 30 points, even allowing for the hot start.

Old
11-01-2007, 11:58 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
Jones has now showed himself to be a legit bottom pairing dman in the league as opposed to the one that belonged no where near the NHL in prior years.....nothing more, nothing less. If he ends this season on the same pace I will replicate the run from the Rocky movies completely naked.....
I'd rather see your avatar do that.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2007, 11:59 AM
bungle
Casual Observer

Quote:
I've always liked Jones for some reason. I think I've seen him carrying the puck into the offensive zone as much as anyone this season. If he could just become a little less accident prone in his own zone...

bungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2007, 12:08 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
I'd rather see your avatar do that.
yeah, but she will be at home waiting for me

Old
11-01-2007, 12:09 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by G0flyers View Post
I've always liked Jones for some reason. I think I've seen him carrying the puck into the offensive zone as much as anyone this season. If he could just become a little less accident prone in his own zone...
I would like nothing more then for Jones to turn into Pitkanen, but I think it is highly unlikely.....I think he has developed into a nice bottom pairing dman and I hope he keeps playing well, but I cant get excited over it.

Old
11-01-2007, 03:16 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Quote:
I would like nothing more then for Jones to turn into Pitkanen, but I think it is highly unlikely.....I think he has developed into a nice bottom pairing dman and I hope he keeps playing well, but I cant get excited over it.
a bottom pairing defenseman shouldnt be leading his team in defensive scoring or +/1. we should put him on the top pairing!

that said, i hope he keeps it up, but i won't be shocked if he ends the season with 20 pts.