HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cross-A solid addition to the Oilers defence.

Closed Thread

Old
01-14-2004, 07:05 AM
Oiltalk

vCash: 500
Cross-A solid addition to the Oilers defence.

Who would have ever thought the slow footed player involved in the Carter trade would ever amount to anything. I had a feeling he would prove his worth down the road, but not at the extent that he is this season.
With 6 goals and 8 assists, Cross has already surpassed his season high of 4 goals, and is on pace to almost double his season high of 18 pts(67 games played), and have the best +/- season of his career too.
The size and simple plays that define Cross as a defenceman are going a long way to mentoring the younger guys like Semenov and Bergeron, and making the Carter/Dvorak trade a steal for the Oilers.

Old
01-14-2004, 07:21 AM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
Oilers have a history of turning around d-men's careers, too many names to list but let's just say Cross joins a long list of them. This is probably the reason why Pendagrast doesn't draft D-men any more and concentrate more on skill forwards since the Oilers have this "knack" of picking up the good players.

Old
01-14-2004, 07:42 AM
Digger12

Cross would probably make the cover of PEOPLE Magazine's "50 Ugliest Men Alive" if they published it, but it's hard to argue with the hard numbers of his Oiler career thus far:

48-8-11-19, 46 PIM, +11, 64 shots, 12.5% shooting percentage.

If someone had told me he would have as many points as Anson Carter at this point after the deadline trade, I would've said "So when did A.C. get the season ending injury?" It's an anomaly, but a funny one nonetheless.

Glaciers can take Cross to the outside, but 7 days a week I take him over Ferguson if it came down to one or the other.

Old
01-14-2004, 10:01 AM
Hydroponic Harold

I bet the Buds wouldnt mind having Cross back now ..or the Rags for that matter .Cross has almost matched AC s production point for point since the trade .Ime sure he has scored more GWGs than AC .

Old
01-14-2004, 10:09 AM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
Cross would probably make the cover of PEOPLE Magazine's "50 Ugliest Men Alive" if they published it,
He takes the "Whitest Oiler" award after Niinimaa left. Tell that guy to get a tan!

Old
01-14-2004, 10:10 AM
Marconius

Not only has he played relatively solid on the defensive side of things, but his offence has really come along. Actually, I remember that right after the trade last year he put some points on the board as well, what do you think caused this offensive surge from a career defensive defenceman?
Better Ice?
Oilers freewheeling style?
curious....

Old
01-14-2004, 10:10 AM
Oi'll say!

Cross was doing very well with the Rag$ b4 they traded him, he was something like a +13 on a team that was chock full of minus players.

I think part of the reason they let him go so easily was that they believed they could re-sign him as a ufa in the summer - then Lowe headed them off at the pass by extending his contract.

I didn't have any pre-conceived notions of Cross being the goat or the hero here b4 he came and I was AC's biggest detractor here so whether or not Cross was a flop I was happy to see that deal done. Cross has made Lowe look like a genius, I especially liked the treatment he gave Robidas last year in the playoffs

Old
01-14-2004, 10:14 AM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydroponic Harold
Cross has almost matched AC s production point for point since the trade .Ime sure he has scored more GWGs than AC .
Since the trade:

CARTER...49-9-10-19, 18 PIM, -10, 74 SOG, 12.2% shooting
CROSS....48-8-11-19, 46 PIM, +10, 64 SOG, 12.5% shooting

Yeah yeah, it's a stupid comparison...but I'm still getting a chuckle out of it. Those stats are from Bizarro World.

Old
01-14-2004, 10:18 AM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Since the trade:

Yeah yeah, it's a stupid comparison...but I'm still getting a chuckle out of it. Those stats are from Bizarro World.
I tried not to laugh out loud when I read those stats but I just couldn't help it. That will keep a smile on my face for quite some time...

Old
01-14-2004, 10:28 AM
barto

Quote:
Since the trade:

GOTTA LOVE IT!!!

this is almost too funny... the Pisa/Cross thing didn't make much sense to most of us, but has turned this trade into a ROUT for Lowe. I think we had a thread not long ago that most of us wouldn't give up Dvorak straight up to get Carter back, but consider that Pisa is (I think) now back in Europe while Cross has gotten as many points as our (former) main man Carter since the trade... wow.

Actually NO parts of the trade made sense to me at the time, but I have to admit Dvo & his tremendous attitude & work ethic won me over fairly quickly (The Goal in the playoffs didn't hurt any either!). Now the 2nd part of the deal is looking like GOLD, too. Attaboy KL!

Bart

Old
01-14-2004, 10:47 AM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
Cross was doing very well with the Rag$ b4 they traded him, he was something like a +13 on a team that was chock full of minus players.

I think part of the reason they let him go so easily was that they believed they could re-sign him as a ufa in the summer - then Lowe headed them off at the pass by extending his contract.

I didn't have any pre-conceived notions of Cross being the goat or the hero here b4 he came and I was AC's biggest detractor here so whether or not Cross was a flop I was happy to see that deal done. Cross has made Lowe look like a genius, I especially liked the treatment he gave Robidas last year in the playoffs
Something that is missed is that the Oilers assistant coach, Billy Moores was Cross' coach with the Alberta Golden Bears when they won the championship.

01-14-2004, 11:28 AM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Since the trade:

That's just awesome (and a little funny ).

Old
01-14-2004, 01:48 PM
Hydroponic Harold

Quote:
Since the trade:

I knew it was close ..but Holy Hannah ...heck even Cross straight up for Carter the Oilers still win the deal .Thanks Digger ..that was just awesome !!!!!!!Someone should fax those numbers to Slats .

Old
01-14-2004, 02:48 PM
Boondock Saint

So, who's gonna cowboy up and post those stats on the rangers board???

Old
01-14-2004, 04:23 PM
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconius
Not only has he played relatively solid on the defensive side of things, but his offence has really come along. Actually, I remember that right after the trade last year he put some points on the board as well, what do you think caused this offensive surge from a career defensive defenceman?
Better Ice?
Oilers freewheeling style?
curious....
My guess would be that nobody had asked him to try to do it before. He said he'd never before been in a position to contribute offensively. Sort of like the Chief not talking on the Simpsons. All it took was "Hi, Chief", and off he went.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barto
consider that Pisa is (I think) now back in Europe
Lokomotiv Yaroslavl in the Russian Super League, if anybody cares.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint
So, who's gonna cowboy up and post those stats on the rangers board???
It looks like dem did it already, but no fireworks, for better or worse. It's on the second page of the Carter thread.

Old
01-14-2004, 04:36 PM
Hydroponic Harold

Someone did post on the Rag$ board ..but they just shrug it off ..what would you expect ..Rag$ fans still think they won the Bobby Orr errrr Tom Poti deal ..they think hes Bobby Orr !!!!

Closed Thread