10-31-2007, 06:41 PM
kracker1

vCash: 500
Hossa: "I just don't feel it"

Thrashers winning but Hossa isn't scoring

By CRAIG CUSTANCE
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 11/01/07

Montreal — Marian Hossa wasn't feeling it. The Thrashers had just played Montreal even through three periods and five minutes of overtime. It was time for the shootout.

Don Waddell turned to Hossa to see if the Thrashers star forward still wanted to be the second shooter, just like he was all of last season when he scored five shootout goals.

But surprisingly, one of the most prolific scorers in the NHL declined.

"Don asked me and I said, 'I don't think I should go in this time. I just don't feel it,'" Hossa said.

Waddell instead turned to rookie Bryan Little to shoot after leadoff hitter Slava Kozlov....

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sp...hers_1101.html

Is it the sore groin? A momentary apathy? Perhaps he is disappointed at DW failing to acquire a first line center? Is he missing the snow?

I don't know what to think of Marian's slow start so far this year. He seems to have picked up his game recently but not feeling it on the SO for a star scorer is puzzling if not troubling.

Everyone be sure to read Craig's full article, it provides some balance to the "don't feel it" quote, like Marian is still getting the shots but they are just not going in.

Last edited by kracker1: 10-31-2007 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Editorial balance
kracker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2007, 06:46 PM
ExplosiveLEAFman

I haven't read the article yet, but, you don't feel it? Sorry? I don't really care if a guy chooses to skip the shootout but Hossa is starting to look and sound like a headcase who needs special encouragment to go out there and do his job.

ExplosiveLEAFman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2007, 06:47 PM
gamera

Send a message via ICQ to gamera Send a message via AIM to gamera Send a message via MSN to gamera Send a message via Yahoo to gamera
well, at least he was honest, which gave Little a chance to succeed

i'm wondering, too, if there is more to "i just don't feel it" than just that particular moment in time. i wonder if he's just not feeling it anymore in atlanta....i sure wish he'd "feel it" again, because he's an awesome asset to the team (when he's on his game, of course) and definitely a fan favorite. he was the first player EVER to have his name chanted by the crowd at philips. that was a moment i'll never forget!!

gamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2007, 06:56 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

I don't like hearing players talk like this, but lets be honest...he has been snakebit recently.

Heck, it was even the right call. He made DW seem like a genius for a day.

btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2007, 07:01 PM
gamera

Send a message via ICQ to gamera Send a message via AIM to gamera Send a message via MSN to gamera Send a message via Yahoo to gamera
Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
I don't like hearing players talk like this, but lets be honest...he has been snakebit recently.

Heck, it was even the right call. He made DW seem like a genius for a day.
exactly. i hope it's just a "phase" and will pass...soon. i want the old marian ("I like it here.") back.

gamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2007, 07:07 PM
kracker1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamera View Post
well, at least he was honest, which gave Little a chance to succeed

i'm wondering, too, if there is more to "i just don't feel it" than just that particular moment in time. i wonder if he's just not feeling it anymore in atlanta....i sure wish he'd "feel it" again, because he's an awesome asset to the team (when he's on his game, of course) and definitely a fan favorite. he was the first player EVER to have his name chanted by the crowd at philips. that was a moment i'll never forget!!
It's strange for Marian to decline but it likely happens to other teams during the year. Kovy probably felt like declining last year but he always shot for us, scorers keep shooting until they go in.

And about the Hossa! Hossa! Hossa! chants wasn't it said by Marian it was the first time it ever happened to him?

Old
10-31-2007, 07:51 PM
ElSid Crosby

One word : Confidence.

Last year, everything works good, but this year...

Hope for Trashers that he can find he's confidence soon.

ElSid Crosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2007, 08:02 PM
Fravashis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElSid Crosby View Post
One word : Confidence.

Last year, everything works good, but this year...

Hope for Trashers that he can find he's confidence soon.
that would be Thrashers. Kind of a pet peeve of the ATL fans on the board.

But anyways, I totally agree about confidence, he started the year hurt and that meant he got off the blocks slow and lost some confidence. He's not going to the net like he used to, example was late in the game last night (MTL) when he broke in on the left hand side towards the net, last year he would have tried to cut out in front of the goalie and see what he could do there. Instead he just kinda threw an ugly backhand shovel pass at the net which Price saved easily.

Fravashis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2007, 12:44 AM
Tristelune

Then again, he should have a assist on Perrin game tying goal. The guy did bring the puck to Mtl zone and was trying to create something. Darn, even White should have an assist on that goal. Instead, Hossa going pointless in a game where he pretty much doing everything but getting on the scoreboard.

Tristelune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2007, 06:34 AM
kracker1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristelune View Post
Then again, he should have a assist on Perrin game tying goal. The guy did bring the puck to Mtl zone and was trying to create something. Darn, even White should have an assist on that goal. Instead, Hossa going pointless in a game where he pretty much doing everything but getting on the scoreboard.
Yes, that was utter CRAP scoring....let me see if they changed any of the scoring yet, the team asked them to review the scoring (and also review the penalties too I hope)....nope, no change, the goals are still all unassisted. That may be one reason the sportswriters up there gave Hossa the 2nd star.

Old
11-01-2007, 07:23 AM
Victory Ali*

I really like Marian and it seems like he's a pretty honest straight forward guy on top of being a mega talent. At least it seems he's being honest about his being snake-bitten and his lack of confidence rather than trying to force his game there by making a mistake or taking the oppotunity to succeed from someone else. If you don't want him, I'm sure the Canucks would like him

Victory Ali* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2007, 07:25 AM
DuklaNation

He's just admitting he's not in a scoring groove right now and somebody else should take the shootout. Whats the big deal? Obviously it was the right call.

DuklaNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2007, 07:39 AM
Hell on Heels
classless chick :(

Send a message via Skype™ to Hell on Heels
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuklaNation View Post
He's just admitting he's not in a scoring groove right now and somebody else should take the shootout. Whats the big deal? Obviously it was the right call.
Exactly. I've followed this guy pretty much his entire career, and I'm 100% sure that's what he meant. He knew his shots aren't going in, so why not give someone else a try. Sometimes you just can't get it in.

He wouldn't just come out and start hating on a team in the press, he's not like that.

He's not looking for "special encouragement" or anything like that, he never has. Just back off the guy a little, and he'll be back on track soon enough.

Hell on Heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2007, 08:28 AM
KieferUGA

Don is on 790 The Zone right now and he says that the aforementioned discussion never happened in Montreal. Don says it was always the plan to have Hoss go in the 4th Round if it went that far.

KieferUGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2007, 09:00 AM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by KieferUGA View Post
Don is on 790 The Zone right now and he says that the aforementioned discussion never happened in Montreal. Don says it was always the plan to have Hoss go in the 4th Round if it went that far.
I'll be honest, Craig Custance has earned a ton of credibility with me. If he put it in print, I believe it to be the truth.

I would guess that is one story someone was not supposed to tell Custance. I also think that if the team wasn't currently traveling under the hockey microscope in Canada, DW doesn't even make a comment about the story.

btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2007, 10:43 AM
kracker1

I predict a big game from Marian tonight or at least a very hard played one, like his last game. It will be tough to win, though. Ottawa is surely on notice by now that the begin the season funk is over for the Thrashers, so they will be on their game.

Old
11-01-2007, 11:00 AM
Rythashocka

vCash: 50
Man, thats a bummer to hear from Hossa, Usually id think if a player was a on a "cold" streak he'd wanna try and get the monkey off his back with a shootout goal. Little had an awesome move though. Hopefully Marian regains form, one of my favorite players for sure

Rythashocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2007, 12:23 PM
Boognish

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuklaNation View Post
There you go.

If you're a team player do you force it or bow out for the team? It's not like he got pissy and walked into the locker room like Forsberg. There are 22 guys out there and 25 of them have enough chops to put it in the net at any given time.

Boognish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2007, 01:02 PM

vCash: 522
When he read this article, he will feel shame. At least he should... Here's hoping this is the slap in the face he has needed to get his game back on track.

#37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2007, 01:49 PM
kasper11

Shootouts are all about confidence. There is too much time to think, and if your confidence is shot you are going to be second guessing yourself the whole time and have no chance. Jagr did the same thing last year and put up pretty good numbers. I wouldn't worry about this, he will get it going.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2007, 02:04 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

All due respect to those of you dissing Hossa it's not as if he's acting like a prima donna, as kracker said, read the entire article. He's taking shots (2nd only to Kovalchuk) and he's working hard in all other aspects of the game as well, it's not like he's resting on his laurels and pouting. When the puck's not going in at the very least you find some way to contribute and he's doing just that. Now, his declining the shootout opportunity strikes me as him wanting the team to have the best possible chance to win the game, and he simply didn't believe putting himself out there was doing just that. His confidence and swagger may have taken a step back but that doesn't necessarily mean his attitude's gone in the toilet.

I don't doubt you're all frustrated, and it's true he's paid to score goals. But he's not the problem, and you can hardly blame a guy for saying he wants to go elsewhere when there are still so many restrictions on the Thrashers to build a competitive team because of the continuing ownership dispute.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2007, 02:16 PM
ExplosiveLEAFman

No one is giving him a hard time for not scoring, it's because in the games that have been televised - he hasn't been working hard.

Will he turn it around? Of course he will, I don't think anyone doubts that. But his play this season and the playoffs last season hasn't given fans much reason to cheer him on.

ExplosiveLEAFman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2007, 10:43 PM
easton122

Send a message via AIM to easton122 Send a message via MSN to easton122
Peter Forsberg did this for the Flyers a couple seasons ago. I think a player who makes that decision is thinking more along the lines of what is better for the team. If the confidence isn't there that's about 99% of the shootout the swagger a player like Hossa carries game after game. I'm a big fan I hope he turns it around.

easton122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2007, 11:35 PM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

Man, I really wish he had been able to do something tonight. We were down by 1, had a 6-4 PP with an empty net, and with 30 seconds left he was missing passes and had cement feet... the definition of unclutch.

DungeonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2007, 12:03 AM
Dark Knight
#TheStroShow

As a Leafs fan I do come in peace, but please please please trade Hossa to Toronto.

We'll give you anything!!

Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote