HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jason Smith--when healthy---rumour with source

Closed Thread

Old
01-15-2004, 06:09 AM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 520
Jason Smith--when healthy---rumour with source

The source is the beat writer for the Edmonton Sun--canoe.com--go to the Edmontn oilers section of Slamsports.(story in archieves)

While the talk has been of the Oilers trading Brewer--in fact it maybe Smith the panthers are aiming for and the article says that the panthers are either offering Husalius or the oilers are asking for him. Being down here in florida I am not a fan of Husalius---he floats too much when he is on the ice and is not a two way player. Smith is 30 now and the oilers tend to tradeguys who get that age.

responses???

Smith may not be thebest d-man in the world---but I will take what he has over all the questions being raised about Husalius

Old
01-15-2004, 07:57 AM
Capt Reynolds

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark
The source is the beat writer for the Edmonton Sun--canoe.com--go to the Edmontn oilers section of Slamsports.(story in archieves)

While the talk has been of the Oilers trading Brewer--in fact it maybe Smith the panthers are aiming for and the article says that the panthers are either offering Husalius or the oilers are asking for him. Being down here in florida I am not a fan of Husalius---he floats too much when he is on the ice and is not a two way player. Smith is 30 now and the oilers tend to tradeguys who get that age.

responses???

Smith may not be thebest d-man in the world---but I will take what he has over all the questions being raised about Husalius
As an Isle fan I'd love to see Smith in an Isles uni. He is exactly what we need on our backline.

Old
01-15-2004, 07:58 AM
degroat*

As a Blues fan, it angers me to see a Isles fan complain about their defense. I'd kill to have your 2-4 right now. :p

Old
01-15-2004, 08:05 AM
Capt Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by degroat
As a Blues fan, it angers me to see a Isles fan complain about their defense. I'd kill to have your 2-4 right now. :p
I'd kill to have the Blues experienced goaltending...oh wait, we DID have your goaltending until we gave Ozzy away!

Seriously, though. Our D looks great on paper, but in reality this is how I describe it: our top 4 are very skilled but not very balanced. Each of Hammer, Jonsson, Aucoin and Niniimaa is more or less a clone of the other, they are all pretty good in the transition and pretty responsible in their own end, but none of them really provides a physical element. They lack that crease-clearing physicality and it hurts us, especially against bigger teams. I'd love to see one of them moved and have a Jason Smith or even a Gauthier brought in to bring that physical edge to the group.

Old
01-15-2004, 08:06 AM
degroat*

Here's the link that took forever to find: http://www.canoe.ca/Slam040113/nhl_edm3-sun.html

Old
01-15-2004, 08:06 AM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
I'd kill to have your 2-4 right now. :p
Not when the opposition is parked in front of the net you wouldn't. :p

It's a talented group, no doubt, but the collective toughness quotient is suseptible to questioning.

Old
01-15-2004, 08:07 AM
degroat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C.
I'd kill to have the Blues experienced goaltending...oh wait, we DID have your goaltending until we gave Ozzy away!

Seriously, though. Our D looks great on paper, but in reality this is how I describe it: our top 4 are very skilled but not very balanced. Each of Hammer, Jonsson, Aucoin and Niniimaa is more or less a clone of the other, they are all pretty good in the transition and pretty responsible in their own end, but none of them really provides a physical element. They lack that crease-clearing physicality and it hurts us, especially against bigger teams. I'd love to see one of them moved and have a Jason Smith or even a Gauthier brought in to bring that physical edge to the group.
Baron for Hamrlik!

Old
01-15-2004, 08:08 AM
degroat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
Not when the opposition is parked in front of the net you wouldn't. :p
That's why I didn't say I'd rather have your #1.

Old
01-15-2004, 08:11 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
The Rangers could use Jason Smith as well.

01-15-2004, 08:47 AM
PECAhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
Yeah beat up on the Islanders some more why don't you

Old
01-15-2004, 08:51 AM
dem

I cant imagine the Oilers getting yet ANOTHER winger.. especially at the expense of their pathetic.

Old
01-15-2004, 09:47 AM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
Are you sure Sather wants his pocket picked by Lowe again?

Old
01-15-2004, 10:32 AM
Bohologo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark
responses???
This has been chewed on a bit on the Oilers board, but to summarize one point of view: Smith's days could be numbered, due to his age and arbitration-eligible staus, if he doesn't re-up, a la Moreau, which I suspect the Oilers would like from their captain. On the other hand, Huselius, while the sniper the Oilers sorely lack, wouldn't have much space on the left wing, behind Smyth, Torres, Moreau, Chimera/Horcoff. So, either substitute Huselius for someone else, or ship one of the Oiler left wings for an expanded package?

Old
01-15-2004, 04:00 PM
TheBrew

how about Jamie Lundmark from the Rangers there would more to be added on the Oilers side though but a good starting point?

Old
01-15-2004, 04:30 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohologo
This has been chewed on a bit on the Oilers board, but to summarize one point of view: Smith's days could be numbered, due to his age and arbitration-eligible staus, if he doesn't re-up, a la Moreau, which I suspect the Oilers would like from their captain. On the other hand, Huselius, while the sniper the Oilers sorely lack, wouldn't have much space on the left wing, behind Smyth, Torres, Moreau, Chimera/Horcoff. So, either substitute Huselius for someone else, or ship one of the Oiler left wings for an expanded package?
has Lowe made any move to get Smith signed to an extension?

Old
01-15-2004, 04:30 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
to EDM:
Hamrlik (3.6m)
Kvasha (.8m)
3rd rounder 2004

to NYI:
Smyth (3.5m)
Smith (2.3m)

Isles add a good amount of size and grit to the lineup, both up front and on the backend. They also get great character players who play hard and give their all every night. Isles add a little salary, but with the dropped Nets bid and insurance money, it seems like they may be able to afford to.

Edmonton does this to shed a little salary (1.4million) while still acquiring a true #1 defenseman in getting Hamrlik back. They also get a guy with size who can skate, make plays, kill penaltis and play solid defense. Kvasha seems like he may be turning into a 50point or so player, and is young enough (25) to possibly still break out and become even more, especially on a skating team like Edmonton.

Old
01-15-2004, 04:31 PM
CoolburnIsGone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohologo
There was some talk & attempts in the preseason to make a move to the right side for Huselius. So don't always look at it there's no space for him on the left side...if its a situation where you have just too many forwards, thats a different story. I would assume that the Oilers would be looking for a d-man as well in the deal. I heard some things about Horcoff but I dunno how valued he is up in Edmonton (also isn't his natural position, center?). I'm sure you guys would probably prefer to trade another forward instead (and anyone but Laraque would be considered).

Old
01-15-2004, 04:52 PM
Ironchef Chris Wok*

Send a message via ICQ to Ironchef Chris Wok*
Quote:
Baron for Hamrlik!
Baron can't clear a crease. Trust me on this one

Old
01-15-2004, 05:19 PM
Bohologo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichPanther
There was some talk & attempts in the preseason to make a move to the right side for Huselius. So don't always look at it there's no space for him on the left side...if its a situation where you have just too many forwards, thats a different story. I would assume that the Oilers would be looking for a d-man as well in the deal. I heard some things about Horcoff but I dunno how valued he is up in Edmonton (also isn't his natural position, center?). I'm sure you guys would probably prefer to trade another forward instead (and anyone but Laraque would be considered).
Good to know Huselius can play the right side of the ice too, but I'm not sure if he'd draw in before Hemsky, Dvorak, or the Isbister 1st Line Project (we'll see how long that lasts). Lord knows the Oilers need a shooter on their catastrophe of a power-play; it's the Hindenburg of the NHL.

People would be happy to see Horcoff hit the road: post-Comrie, he's the new whipping boy in Oiltown (sort of the scapegoat for the mysterious Let's Keep Jani Rita In The Minors For All Eternity conspiracy), although Laraque (too nice to fight, thinks he's a scorer) is giving his all to win that crown. Jason Chimera is likely on his way out, for reasons that remain controversial.

Closed Thread